Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why do people consider blondes air heads?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why do people consider blondes air heads?
    Posted: 03-Mar-2009 at 21:28
I have heard a lot of blonde jokes in my life and wonder how did it start?

I know a lot of blonde haired people who are very bright but was it all in jest??

Why are blonde haired women considered air heads? I use to date a blonde and she would put her finger to her head and make a noise pssss like air was coming out, sadly she fit that stereo type. Very sexy and pretty but no common sense -
My last girlfriend was a blonde also but super smart!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2009 at 21:38
in what way is this a question with historical relevance?
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2009 at 21:56
your right but for fun but I am sure it has a history- I tried to delete this thread but I cannot

you could say the same of this one "The most handsome nationality" and many others

Edited by eaglecap - 03-Mar-2009 at 21:57
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2009 at 22:04
I suspect, as i've posted in your other post as well, it mostly has to do with DYED blonde hair.
Blondes that are dyed tend to be superficial, because they care most of their appearance. Dyed hair is not a new discovery, it has existed for hundreds (if not thousands) of years.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Fastrada View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Fastrada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2009 at 22:11
I have heard that the Greeks and Romans  bleached their hair because they admired the looks of the Northern Europeans. Another theory is that the lower classes who worked in the fields ,and were not considered "real smart" had lighter hair from working in the sun, thus.."Dumb Blond". 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 11:44
If you have to ask you're probably blonde.

(So my brunette wife tells me....)
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 12:06
Originally posted by Fastrada

I have heard that the Greeks and Romans  bleached their hair because they admired the looks of the Northern Europeans. Another theory is that the lower classes who worked in the fields ,and were not considered "real smart" had lighter hair from working in the sun, thus.."Dumb Blond". 

Dunno, there is not really such a belief or myth here. Of course people are aware of the stereotype through American movies, but there is no belief in it. Maybe Hollywood has something to do with it.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 12:13
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Maybe Hollywood has something to do with it.

It's Hollywood's cultural propaganda projects blondes are fun and presumably airheads.One classic film comes to mind," Gentlemen prefer Blondes " starred bleached blonde Marilyn Monroe.Also,the character Missy played a dumb blonde in 1980'S hit TV sitcom " Three's Company ".This is more a myth than reality as 70% or over American males polled prefer brunettes.

Edited by pebbles - 04-Mar-2009 at 12:25
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 12:19
People who put a lot of emphasis on their physical attractiveness are often the same people who put proportionally little emphasis on their intellectual development, and girls of this type will want to bleach their hair blonde to appear more attractive.

The image is also distorted further by men who, finding blonde girls attractive, want them to be stupid so they will be easier to get in bed with. It's a male fantasy you often find in movies, which coinciding with what I mentioned above reinforces the stereotype.

Of course in reality there is no connection between naturally light hair and low intelligence. On the contrary, the north European countries (including colonial countries outside of Europe proper) rank among those with the highest average IQ and level of education in the world.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 12:23

Why?

Simply envy.

Brunette girls simply envied blonds, so they invented that urban myth.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 20:49
all good answers
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2009 at 21:47
The California blond probably got the thing rolling, the type of girl who takes pride in being stupid. I'm afraid I've met too many stupid blond people, methinks there is strong science behind it...
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 10:25
Urban legend states the origin of this comes from Scandinavia, as a way of badmouthing the ladies of the Swedish feminist movements (not sure which wave) who were, of course, mostly blonde. I don't remember where I heard this, but I do know I never came across with this thesis again. So it's probably not true.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 15:07
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 20:24
Originally posted by Paul

No idea.

She resembles and acts all too much like an ex girlfriend, very short relationship-

It would also make a good redneck joke -
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2009 at 20:36
The great irony is she is perfectly correct in almost everything she says if taken in a certain context.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Melissa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 21:50
It probably has everything to do with entertainment industry, before women were prized for being very round, full figured and brunette but then hollywood came about and since back then woman were depicted as mental children, 95% of those woman who were even aloud on TV were blondes.

Edited by Melissa - 06-Mar-2009 at 21:51
Egyptian Hieroglythics in Karnak: "The Blacker she is, the more woman she is. Too much woman blocks the sun."
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 23:18
Originally posted by Paul

No idea.

"I'm not even sure France is a country?"

"I've heard of Turkey, but....!"

"I thought Europe is one country?"

Yes Paul, in a certain context, she is correct in a twisted sort of way. I think there should be a book subject titled "The Mysterious Logic of Blond's" If there isn't one already that is? No shortage of material there - uh huh, no sir....
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2009 at 23:42
This sounds sadly appropriate:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19719.html

She handed a palm-sized box wrapped with a bow. Lavrov opened it and pulled out the gift: a red button on a black base with a Russian word peregruzka printed on top. 

“We worked hard to get the right Russian word. Do you think we got it?” Clinton asked. 

“You got it wrong,” Lavrov said. 

Instead of "reset," Lavrov said the word on the box meant “overcharge.”

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2009 at 01:07
Originally posted by Melissa

It probably has everything to do with entertainment industry, before women were prized for being very round, full figured and brunette but then hollywood came about and since back then woman were depicted as mental children, 95% of those woman who were even aloud on TV were blondes.

I agree. If you look at fashion magazines and photos of 'ideal women' from 80 years ago the desired qualities of women were quite different.
I think hollywood is largely to blame.
Originally posted by Reg

The image is also distorted further by men who, finding blonde girls attractive, want them to be stupid so they will be easier to get in bed with. It's a male fantasy you often find in movies, which coinciding with what I mentioned above reinforces the stereotype.

That is also possible, or at least a contributor.
Originally posted by Reginmund

Of course in reality there is no connection between naturally light hair and low intelligence. On the contrary, the north European countries (including colonial countries outside of Europe proper) rank among those with the highest average IQ and level of education in the world.

Recognising of course that you were just defending your hair colour group from what's essentially racism, and that both your sentences are in a very strict literal sense correct, I have to point out that the second sentence is statistical nonsense. The equal and opposite shitistic would be to say that as evolution teaches us that a animal with a superior genetic mutation will be more successful, and that the number of black haired people far outnumbers others, black hair is actually a mutation that drastically increases you chance of finding a mate & having kids.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>