Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who collects comics here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [22.22%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [66.67%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who collects comics here?
    Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 23:53
I would also like to know if anyone has a first editions. I came across the first and last edition of Wonderman- he died in the first episode. I also have what if Wonder man never died.

I will go through my collection and get some digital photos of some of my first and add later.

I also have another oldie, "Sandman vs Spider man"

Also the first Golden, DC and Marvel Star Trek episodes from the 80's.

I was lucky enough to find some classic Illustrated comics from the 1950's such as J. Vern's "First man on the moon, wizard of Oz.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 16:03
i do collect comics.. but none of the above..Ermm
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 16:17
I also collected comics which are not included in your list.
They were mainly Lucky Luke, Asterix, Corto Maltese and others. They belong to the french/belgian school of comics, which I suspect is rather unknown to americans.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 16:40
Originally posted by xristar

They were mainly Lucky Luke, Asterix, Corto Maltese and others. They belong to the french/belgian school of comics, which I suspect is rather unknown to americans.
I've got all Asterix albums (including some rare ones and parodies). What I like especially about Asterix is that if you read them again every few years you discover or understand new jokes you didn't get before. It has jokes for all age groups. I took years until I understood the pun in 'Zebigbos', the chieftain of the British village in Asterix in Britain. The album with the village that has been divided into two parts (a parody of the Berlin Wall) is a good example as well.

I like Lucky Luke as well. I'm not really a collector though, I bought most of them when I was a kid.

It's pretty interesting that European and American comics are so completely different. Most European (Franco-Belgian) comics are almost unheard of in America, and vice versa.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 17:06
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

It's pretty interesting that European and American comics are so completely different. Most European (Franco-Belgian) comics are almost unheard of in America, and vice versa.

I don't know what happens in America, but here american comics are far from "unheard of". I mean look at Disney's comics (which, I forgot to mention in my previous post, I was a great fan of, until highschool at least). Besides them, all those superhero comics are also circulating, though they appeared relatively recently in greek market. It's true that the previous decades (before '90s) greek comic publications were dominated by european comics, which of course remain the dominant genre today. Another genre are those japanese comics (manga? anime? not sure how they're called), who gain popularity steadily. I bought an american (dark horse) translation of an '80s japanese comic, and found it quite good.
My favourite, as perhaps my avatar shows, remains Corto Maltese.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 19:20
Comico comics is another of the newer comics and a lot of the characters are from japan. Marvel is well know because of spiderman, the hulk, fantastic four, the Dere Devil and the X-men. I have X-men comics from the 60's. I use to go around to comic book stores and buy old comics but now many of them are getting high in price. I like DC but the art, until recently, is better in Marvel comics.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 23:36
I have some DC and Marvel issues. Some older 70s Spiderman. I haven't gotten any in years though, but  still got my old collection. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 01:09

..hi..

..i used to be a huge fan of 2000AD when i was younger, well, actually, up until i was 17 years old Embarrassed....!!..the earliest copy i had was Prog 7....and i did manage to have a large collection including several annuals...but i gave them all away in the end, and boy, do i regret that, not because of a possible monetary value, but over the years, i  have really missed reading them...

....i once bought one or two copies fairly recently but they seem to have gone all 'glam' and changed in size and format, and i was not really that impressed...which was a shame, because, when i got them, i got all excited just how it used to feel when i had to wait for the arrival of the paperboy who delivered my weekly edition of 2000AD when i was younger!!!....oh well, perhaps i will have to give them another try....

....all the best.......AoO...
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 01:46

Asterix was commonly used in French language courses in public schools for Anglo-Canadians. I don't know if it still is or not.

I also know Metal Hurlant, mostly because of Moebius.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 18:55

I don't know what happens in America, but here american comics are far from "unheard of". I mean look at Disney's comics (which, I forgot to mention in my previous post, I was a great fan of, until highschool at least). Besides them, all those superhero comics are also circulating, though they appeared relatively recently in greek market. It's true that the previous decades (before '90s) greek comic publications were dominated by european comics, which of course remain the dominant genre today. Another genre are those japanese comics (manga? anime? not sure how they're called), who gain popularity steadily. I bought an american (dark horse) translation of an '80s japanese comic, and found it quite good.
My favourite, as perhaps my avatar shows, remains Corto Maltese.

I forgot about Disney comics, you're right there. As far as I know most of them are made in Scandinavia, the Netherlands and Italy nowadays, but it's true that they are the only comics with mainstream popularity in both Europe and the US.

At least in the Low Countries American superhero comics are known, but not nearly as popular as European (and Disney) comics.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 20:15
I have some old Disney comics and there is another company I forgot called First Comics. I have the Super man dies but so do a lot of people.

Maybe Marvel and DC should work on the Hulk, the thing and superman vs Alien. I have a DC where Batman fights the Predator and a number of Alien comics- Conan also by Marvel.

Magnus Robot fighter is good and I have some Golden Key Comics with him and some newer ones by another brand. Golden key never went out of buisness but the publisher decided to get out of the comic buisness. Mighty Sampson M,A,R. patrol, and Turok were good Golden Key characters but I am not sure if they were republished. Golden key comics are cheap so it is easy to buy older comics but I have not collected since the 1990's. The oldest comic I have is 1957 a Classics Illustrated about the Wizard of OZ.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 21:12
Asterix und Zaubertrank 

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 27-Feb-2009 at 21:13

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 21:27
I collect Ulrich's comics - like the one above - priceless Ulrich Thumbs Up

I don't collect others, but I like reading Asterix when I get the chance (borrowing from my nephew).

On a side note, is there anyone who knows what happened after Donald Duck was banned in Finland for not wearing pants?
Did they dress him up or what?

Edited by Northman - 27-Feb-2009 at 21:28
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2009 at 00:16
Comics have gotten so spendy these days so I feel sorry for kid today. We use to ditch Sunday school at the Lutheran Church and use the offering money our parents gave us to buy comic books- a true eaglecap confession - shhhhhh!!
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 02:48
I read pretty much anything Jason Aaron, Kurt Busiek, Garth Ennis, and Mark Millar write.

Some cool new ones I read:

Superman: Red Son -  What if Superman landed in Soviet Russia instead of the US?
Scalped - Jason Aaron
The Boys - Garth Ennis
Conan Dark Horse Trades

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 04:20
Originally posted by edgewaters

Asterix was commonly used in French language courses in public schools for Anglo-Canadians. I don't know if it still is or not.

I also know Metal Hurlant, mostly because of Moebius.

I have a friend who is my age from Montreal, Quebec and he said they do use Asterix in the public schools.

As for me, I used to collect G.I. Joe comics.  They were so much more realistic than the cartoon tv show.  People actually got shot and killed with real guns instead of cheezy laser guns that always missed.  I am sure the big-budget Hollywood production that is coming out this summer is going to botch it up and exclude the darker element which the comics had.

nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2009 at 19:18
I don't collect comics, but if there's something good out there I'll give it a go, especially manga.

AE would definitely like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historie

It's an ongoing manga series about the life of Eumenes, Alexander the Great's general and secretary. Chances are you guys have already been aware of this comic for some time, but just in case I figured I'd bring it up. It's very, very good.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 02:34
I find it interesting when I travelled to Europe that most people think of comic strips and funnies as comics.  US, Canada, and Japan at least take their comics / graphic novels more seriously.  The stories in there are very intelligent and the artwork is very good.  Some of the stories are made into big budget Hollywood blockbusters but they rarely are as good as the comics themselves (Ghost Rider, Elektra, Punisher come to mind all of which were great comics, but horribly done movies).

Here is some good examples of very nice art:

Gotta love the Norse God of Thunder - Thor

Tim Bradstreet doing covers for Punisher while Garth Ennis writing was the best Punisher ever written in my opinion.

--

Edited by Afghanan - 31-Mar-2009 at 02:36
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 08:38
I've read a ton of American and European comics, but I prefer Japanese ones. Here are a few of my favourites:

http://www.onemanga.com/Vinland_Saga/

http://manga.animea.net/berserk.html

Vinland Saga is a historical manga, set in Britain and Scandinavia in the late viking age. The author has done excellent research in everything from political history to art and architecture.

Berserk is a fantasy manga heavily influenced by late medieval Europe, Italy perhaps in particular with the heavy emphasis on mercenary bands. It's an extremely dark, violent and at times erotic manga. Sometimes you suspect the guy who made this must've been insane. LOL

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 08:54
Very nice choices Reginmund.  If you like Vinland Saga, you would love Brian Wood's Northlanders.   Recently, the 1st volume came out in trade paperback:  Northlanders:  Sven the Returned. 

In the first arc, "Sven the Returned," (issues #1-8) we follow the protagonist Sven, a self-exiled Viking warrior serving in the Byzantine Varangian Guard, as he returns (in 980 A.D.) to his birth region in the Orkney Islands in order to reclaim his rightful inheritance.

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>