Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKurds Origin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SonOfMede View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kurds Origin
    Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 13:32
Who is Kurds ancestors, Kurds origin.

I am Kurmanji what is Kurmanji's origin. Historians ahve 1,2 theory

Kurmanji = Kure Magi  ( Son of Magi ) ( Magi is tribe of Mede "

Not Closed pls. I searched but not see this topic.
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:40
I am a Turk, I know something about Kurds as I heard because something happen in our country about kurds.. This nation is a combination from mesopotamia. Pers and Arabic combination. But some written sources say The Tuks and Pers were combinated.

If I say wrong, please correct it.

Thank you!
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 19:16

Their ancestors were Medes! Smile The original word was Kara-mady-siyan (people+Media+holy land -> Holy Land of Median people), in the Sassanid period it was simplified to the reduced word "Karmasin" (Qarmasin in the early Arbaic sources) but then in the Islamic period it was thought to be related to "Kerman/Kurman" and it was said that this land was named after Bahram IV, the Sassanid king who was called "Kermanshah" (King of Kerman), so the region in the western Iran, Eastern Turkey and northern Iraq was called "Kermanshah/Kurmanja".

SonOfMede View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 16:03
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Their ancestors were Medes! Smile The original word was Kara-mady-siyan (people+Media+holy land -> Holy Land of Median people), in the Sassanid period it was simplified to the reduced word "Karmasin" (Qarmasin in the early Arbaic sources) but then in the Islamic period it was thought to be related to "Kerman/Kurman" and it was said that this land was named after Bahram IV, the Sassanid king who was called "Kermanshah" (King of Kerman), so the region in the western Iran, Eastern Turkey and northern Iraq was called "Kermanshah/Kurmanja".

Kurmanji Tribe Really descendents of Medes?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 02:27
Didn't Kurmanji as a language group just replace the older Iranian languages of SE turkey? i am talking Zaza which is in the same family as Gilani - a old NW Iranian group so to speak.

Originally posted by MythTR

I am a Turk, I know something about Kurds as I heard because something happen in our country about kurds.. This nation is a combination from mesopotamia. Pers and Arabic combination. But some written sources say The Tuks and Pers were combinated.

If I say wrong, please correct it.

Thank you!

Hi MythTR, that is not true. They are a type of Iranian speaker and have pretty much been around as long as any other. I would also say they pre-date any significant Turkish presence into Anatolia, so they are not a product of mixing. But they are not one group but a collection of groups, so it gets more complicated than just one label.

Edited by Leonidas - 21-Feb-2009 at 02:34
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 11:46
I heard that the origins of the Kurds have something to do with the Isuarians; a nomadic people of Asia Minor who played an important role in late Roman-Byzantine army.
No one has documented clearly what language this ancient people spoke, and where their exact habitat was.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 13:36
Kurds have different origins if you want to go back far enough into history.  To be very brief:  In my area their most recent Ancestors are Sassanid Persians (who formed from ancient Persians, Parthians and Medeans), to the North it is more definitively Medes, in North Iraq it is a mix of Karduci, Mitani, Assyrian and Chaldean but mostly Medean too, In Turkey there is Hurrian heritage.  All of these can be traced in the language.  For example the pronunciation of words in Kurdish is very close to Sassanid Persian - where as Persian has simplified many words Kurdish retains the archaic form for many words.

As for other parts of the culture - there is commonality and in my opinion that comes from the original mountain people, the Karduci (where the name Kurd comes from).  I think also that the term Kurd at some point was used to describe people who live in the mountains because in Gilan the name is used too.

HungryWolf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 13:28
Where ancient kurds were living? and what language they are speaking?

Turks can be killed but can't be beaten. (Napoleon Bonaparte)
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 15:46
Hello to you all

The majority of kurds are of Persian (Median) stock. The problem is who in the current Kurdish population is actually a descendent from the old Kurds.

The Barzanis of Iraq are well known to be not of original median origin, they are either Armenians (most probably) or Assyrians. The current president of Iraq is actually of Arab origin since his tribe was kurdicised some 400 years ago. Many of Turkish Kurds are actually either Arab or Armenian as well with some even being from Turkish tribes that also became "Kurdicised".

Finally According to the Arab historians, Kurds lived in the same region they live in right now in Iraq and Iran. However their presence in South east Turkey is more recent (after the Arab conquest).

Al-Jassas
HungryWolf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 16:05
Thanks Al-Jassas for information.
I've read that they speak kurdish language but i guess it is some type of persian or arabic languages.

Turks can be killed but can't be beaten. (Napoleon Bonaparte)
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2009 at 20:57
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I heard this before but I do not know much about the Kurds other than meeting a number of Turks with Kurdish ancestry. So if this is so then they would have been there when Alexander the Great marched through that region.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
MarcoPolo View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 21:51
What about the Kurds in Pakistan? I have heard and read they where shifted/migrated there as recently as the 16th century? during the Safavid empire?  Is this true? They have entire areas in Pakistan Balochistan province.  Plus many Baloch tribes also show a strong affinity with the Kurds as well?(and vice versa) Is there any correlation between the two?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2009 at 03:34
Originally posted by MarcoPolo

What about the Kurds in Pakistan? I have heard and read they where shifted/migrated there as recently as the 16th century? during the Safavid empire?  Is this true? They have entire areas in Pakistan Balochistan province.  Plus many Baloch tribes also show a strong affinity with the Kurds as well?(and vice versa) Is there any correlation between the two?
Baloch, the story goes seem related to Caspian/NW Iranian groups, even if IIRC, they say they come from Syria. i could be wrong as i write from the top og my head. They came from neighbouring area to the Kurds, i dont think the language is related
Kermanji View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 13:07
Kurds descendents of Medes. Kermanji Kurds direct descendents from Medes. Media Land Today " Kurdistan " Medes words today in Kurdish language
MythTR View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2009 at 18:29
Originally posted by Kermanji

Kurds descendents of Medes. Kermanji Kurds direct descendents from Medes. Media Land Today " Kurdistan " Medes words today in Kurdish language

Which land is it ? I can't see any map about this deamly country, maybe it can be a territory
We Turks are a people who throughout our history have been the very embodiment of freedom&independence
Mustafa Kemal ATATURK
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2009 at 20:32
Originally posted by MythTR

Which land is it ? I can't see any map about this deamly country, maybe it can be a territory

Is this really necessary? He obviously meant territory, since last time i checked there is no such state.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 17:53
This topic has been re-opened.  Please observe the AE Code of Conduct while you discuss.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 04:01
Kurds were old mountain dweller of Zagros which has been called Kardukhi by some historians. Some of the current Kurds have Median ancestors, but not all of them. Current Kurds are a combination of ancient Hurrian, mittani, Assyrian, Armenian, Median and other Iranic people. Some of Current Arabs in Northern Iraq and Syria were Kurd who have been Arabized after Arab conquest of the region.
Anfører
Kermanji View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 12:41

Kurds in Turkey?

Kermanji = Medean Kurd

Kur = Son Magi = Med,Magi ( Son of Medes,Magi )
Em xorten Medya û KeyKosrowin
( We are son of Medes and Cyaxares )
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 14:39

Kurds in Turkey?

Stop spamming - you haven't said much since you joined - I suggest you add a bit more content to your posts rather than one liners meant to incite.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>