Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

..Bands you Dislike....???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ..Bands you Dislike....???
    Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 12:21
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

BTW if anyone says something bad about the Eagles I will personally Texas Chainsaw Masacre yourCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored

....thats another seemingly 'untouchable' band...a lot of people i have met only ever heard Hotel California and were vaguely aware of the intense 'hero worship' (akin to Springsteen) of some hardcore fans and then jumped aboard gushing forth the glowing tributes of 'classic', 'timeless,' 'mature', etc etc....

..Sorry Count....but The Eagles???.....a sacred cow that was milked to death...Ouch

..right then.........Viking.....
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 13:43
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

Originally posted by edgewaters

Most everything from the 80s blew then and blows now, with the exception of some metal (alot of which blew too, eg Bon Jovi) and a few oddities like Bad Brains.

...yeah, i tend to agree with you there, being a metal fan in the early 80's was tough, ridicule from most of the other boys who were mostly 'new romantics', or even worse, teasing from girls who thought Bros were the best thing since sliced bread....wearing a scruffy denim jacket displaying band loyalty patches interspersed with a selection of creative stud work did not exactly go down well with the Flock of Seagull's crowd...Cry ...

...Bon Jovi and the rise of 'hair bands' and 'pretty boy pop rock' kind of made metal more 'fashionable' as the decade wore on, but that was exactly the reason why 'true' rivietheads rejected it and gravitated toward the sound of thrash/speed/death metal...which is precisely what i did!!!....anyone for Nuclear Assault or Annihilator!!!...

Over here that whole hair band thing caused hardcore (out of disgust) ... Black Flag etc ... and radically spartan dress, just jeans and t-shirt with no logos anywhere ever, plus the return of short hair. Most of that was crap too, but at least the shows were a blast.

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:46
Originally posted by Reginmund

Most country and rap groups. White trash and black trash. Pinch

It's called rap because they forgot to put 'C' on the frontBig smile and I agree about Rascal Flatts

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:50
can boy band consider as a music band?
Ermm Ermm...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 16:01

You sonofa(Censored) WHUMMM WHUMMM Have you ever listened to the eagles you brainless moron? 

'brainless moron?'Ouch ...ok ok....calm down....its all subjective, cannot be other wise...i am just waiting for someone to post that Black Sabbath are turgid slime...what can say?....i think the music chooses the person..can't be helped!!!....honestly, i have listened to The Eagles, i think i may even have a Eagles album somewhere(?)..they are a good band i think, plenty of talent on show for sure, but...but...

PS...i think i may have to say that nothing i post here is intended to be offensive in any way whatsoever, if it feels that way, please, trust me, no hurt is meant....being a Black Sabbath fan, i have endured much criticism, personally and musically!!...i know all music is emotive and we like what we like...i do not dislike anybody for enjoying music that i do not enjoy myself.....actually, i think its great that people are passionate about their favourite bands, whatever, the style of sound..good for you......its just a bit of fun....all the best..AoO..
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 19:02
I am very sorry for my outburst I apologize

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 19:18

I am very sorry for my outburst I apologize

Calm down little Count. Suger water and AE are not the best combination before you venture to the sandlot.

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 20:17

...sorry such opinions do not sit comfortably among the majority, its a risky business not conforming to taste, i recall nearly being lynched in a pub when i voiced my ..er...concerns about Bruce Springsteen not long after he brought out Born in the USA.....OuchOuchOuch....it appeared inconceivable to some of the chaps that somebody could not like the growling one...i had the same problem when talking about Aerosmith with some old American friends..!!!..boy, now that did get a bit tense!!!!

Ugh...Aerosmith is another one I can't stand.  Boring and uninspired with a singer who sounds like a cat with bowel distress. Dead

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 20:21
^ I have to remember that phrase

Greenday is another one

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 20:47
Why? What's wrong with greenday? It's a cool band.. no doubt..
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 21:10

Originally posted by cahaya

Yeeugh! Pretentious popstar candyfloss. 

Green Day is to the roots of its genre what Bon Jovi is to Black Sabbath.

Speaking of really awful music and vocalists who sound like strangled cats, there is Rush.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 21:14
Originally posted by cahaya

..i quite liked 'American Idiot'...but that seemed to be a diamond among all the same  pebbles...

...i like to listen to the rock show on BBC Radio 1 on Monday nights which is followed by a couple of hours of 'punk'.....i have tried listening to this programme to give it a go, but i just don't get it....if this is punk, then it is well and truly dead...DeadDeadDead.... 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 21:22

Speaking of really awful music and vocalists who sound like strangled cats, there is Rush.

....oooo!!!...that one hurts....Pinch!!!!....i luuurved Rush, although i have to admit, Geddy Lee's vocal style is an acquired taste...

..good example though of a 'cool' band that somehow can't be 'touched' ....Rush are considered the thinking man/womans rock band, all deep lyrics, layered sounds, inspired melodies, virtuoso players etc etc....and as such, they are recognised with a sly nod and wink by Rush fans as if to say that are above the average rock fan 'cos somehow they are 'in the know'...(bit like Marillion fans)....yes i like them, but Rush as pretentious nonsense and helium vocalist sticks.....damn it....Ouch
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 21:37

....oooo!!!...that one hurts....Pinch!!!!....i luuurved Rush, although i have to admit, Geddy Lee's vocal style is an acquired taste...

..good example though of a 'cool' band that somehow can't be 'touched' ....Rush are considered the thinking man/womans rock band, all deep lyrics, layered sounds, inspired melodies, virtuoso players etc etc....and as such, they are recognised with a sly nod and wink by Rush fans as if to say that are above the average rock fan 'cos somehow they are 'in the know'...(bit like Marillion fans)....yes i like them, but Rush as pretentious nonsense and helium vocalist sticks.....damn it....Ouch

I am a huge Rush fan!  Although I agree that Geddy's vocals are an acquired taste, there is a BIG difference between his and Steven Tyler's voices.  Geddy has the range; Steven Tyler destroyed his voice in the mid 70's and ended up sounding like someone took a cheese-grater to his vocal cords for the rest of his career.  And, of course, there is no comparison between the virtuosity of Rush and Aerosmith, not that this needed to be mentioned.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 21:43

..good example though of a 'cool' band that somehow can't be 'touched' ....Rush are considered the thinking man/womans rock band, all deep lyrics, layered sounds, inspired melodies, virtuoso players etc etc

Sure, but even technically they are like baboons banging sticks together compared to Classical composers. Technical competence isn't the end-all be-all or we'd all be flocking to the symphony. Some of the best music is very, very simple. One of my favourite Who songs, for instance, is Baba O'Riley and it's just a programmed synthesizer doing a simple repetition with some power chords on the guitar.

Edited by edgewaters - 18-Feb-2009 at 21:46
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 22:21

Some of the best music is very, very simple.

...so true, hence my fav, Black Sabbath!!! Evil SmileEvil Smile...ducks and dons protective (studded)leather head gear... 

One of my favourite Who songs, for instance, is Baba O'Riley and it's just a programmed synthesizer doing a simple repetition with some power chords on the guitar.

...Baba...what a bloody great song...."teenage wastelend"..it gets more relevant as time passes by....a classic version of the tune...

....Behind Blue Eyes is another top tune for me...hence my lyric thingy at the bottom of my posts.....

....i would probably argue, backed up by a few pints, that The Who are the most all-round complete band to emerge from Britain...Bowing.(The Beatles??..pahCheeky)... 

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 18-Feb-2009 at 22:25
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 11:52
Most modern bands are absolute utter rubbish.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 12:18
Though a generalisation, I agree with Parnell.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 15:54
Hmm... May have to review my original, off the cuff and sensationalist statement! Seriously though, crap like American Idol and all these modern 'talent' shows look for two things - who can emphasis their voice, by dragging out every lyric with silly crap like "yeaheyeaeyeaaaaaa" (As opposed to actually just getting up and singing a song) and how big their knockers are. In the case of men its how much you resemble a Greek hero. Makes my stomach sick what passes for civilisation in our generation.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 16:18
Originally posted by Parnell

crap like American Idol and all these modern 'talent' shows 

...i consider it a personal badge of honour that i have never endured not even one second of any of these so-called talent shows....instead, i live a sad musical existance trawling through the Mp3unsigned website (great place by the way), and finding obscure radio staions for music from all around the world.....my 73 year old father is one for finding pirate stations playing progressive trance and electronica!!!...at the mo, i think i have found some Turkish show which plays some pretty decent culturally influenced pop music!!!...i have no idea what it being sung, or said by the presenters but i quite like it..LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>