Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Geert Wilders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geert Wilders
    Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 02:36
Northman
We may not like it, but if they keep it at that, and not advocating to harm anyone - it's their right.

He has advocated hatred and harm towards muslims.

'I don't hate Muslims. I hate Islam'
- Geer Wilders

Wilders believes that all Muslim immigration to the Netherlands should be halted and all settled immigrants should be paid to leave.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/feb/17/netherlands.islam 

"If Muslims want to stay in the Netherlands, they should tear out half the Koran and throw it away."

http://web.archive.org/web/20070514083622/http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=1&story_id=36456

The guy is basically calling for the ethnic cleansing of muslims from his country.

And do you know what is really hypocritical about all this?

The guy wants the Qur'an banned, he wants certain books about muslims banned, he wants so many things BANNED but he talks about Freedom of Speech.

This isn't about freedom of speech, its about racist Nazi minded biggots using freedom of speech to try and achieve their goal of tyranical regime.

You know what this guy wants if he ever gets to power? that only 1 Tv channel be allowed in Holland and this is the guy standing up for freedom of speech Confused

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 02:37
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by Northman

Well it seems that you're doing over-time trying to find a way to justify this as "freedom of speech." What must he do? Lead a march and start a public burning before he is a hate monger?

Let me return the question:
What has he done that he should be punished in any way? - did he harm anyone? - did he ask others to go to holy war? - did he say he would kill someone?
No - he made a film expressing his concerns and fear.
Some people could find that movie hurtful or insulting - but that is not his problem.

Many people are more or less hate mongers, expressing their aversions.
We may not like it, but if they keep it at that, and not advocating to harm anyone - it's their right.

Can we convict or punish anyone for what he possibly might do? 

Who punished him or hurt him in return? His film was viewed in Parliament and the UK was it not? He the person could not gain entry, and as Al-Jassas pointed out plenty of people are not allowed entry. This is a UK government issue not a freedom of speech issue.

His natural right to travel freely into UK was taken away from him - that is a punishment.

Yes, this is indeed an issue to ponder for the brits and their government in particular. They cater the Muslim extremists by denying him in for expressing his views - what will come next - mind control?

But it's also a Freedom of Speech issue - entering the slippery slope of limiting human rights and freedoms. 

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 02:48
Bulldog - I read you loud and clear.

I am not defending him - he does not represent my views.
I am defending his right to freedom of speech without being punished.

He might be all the things you say - but so far not enough to be convicted for anything.

Sleepy See you all tomorrow.... 

Edited by Northman - 13-Feb-2009 at 02:51
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 03:55

Well it seems that you're doing over-time trying to find a way to justify this as "freedom of speech." What must he do? Lead a march and start a public burning before he is a hate monger?

Let me return the question:
What has he done that he should be punished in any way? - did he harm anyone? - did he ask others to go to holy war? - did he say he would kill someone?
No - he made a film expressing his concerns and fear.
Some people could find that movie hurtful or insulting - but that is not his problem.

Many people are more or less hate mongers, expressing their aversions.

Can we convict or punish anyone for what he possibly might do? 

Who punished him or hurt him in return? His film was viewed in Parliament and the UK was it not? He the person could not gain entry, and as Al-Jassas pointed out plenty of people are not allowed entry. This is a UK government issue not a freedom of speech issue.

His natural right to travel freely into UK was taken away from him - that is a punishment.

Yes, this is indeed an issue to ponder for the brits and their government in particular. They cater the Muslim extremists by denying him in for expressing his views - what will come next - mind control?

But it's also a Freedom of Speech issue - entering the slippery slope of limiting human rights and freedoms. 

There is no such thing as a natural right to travel freely into one country where the government of that country representative of the people says that you cannot enter. Plenty of people experience that from all sides of the spectrum. His film is in the UK, it was viewed in many mediums, from political to the popular. Nothing wrong here at all. Every country has a right to decline visitor rights to a person that they deem may bring more negative than positive.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 03:55
Hey, congrats on the 4000 mark North.
I don't know him - he could be a racist for all I care - like many others with him.
Whether one racist or another should should be denied entry is not the point I want to make.
But someone inciting to violence should be banned - warning people shouldn't.

Certain non-violent action causes violent action.
I am not familar with Geert Wilders except by rumour, so I cannot comment on what he has done.

The British government has obviously decided that he is inciting violence or hatred in a sufficent degree to be a threat to British national security. I can see no reason why I should doubt their judgement.
His natural right to travel freely into UK was taken away from him - that is a punishment.

He doesn't have that right, unless he is a citizen or has ancestory from the UK.
The UK has the right to refuse entry to non-citizens, who aren't refugees.
They cater the Muslim extremists by denying him in for expressing his views - what will come next - mind control?

Would they cater to anti-muslim extremists by violating their own laws?
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 04:43

Originally posted by Panther

I think it is ridiculous. What's the point of allowing one set of views to be expressed and not another. So... what it boils down to is... free speech for thee, but not for me. Regardless of the facts behind this, i'm sure the BNP has picked up more than a few votes with this continuely growing clusterf**k of more state intervention. Either all views are expressed for public dissemination or none are except for what  the state dictates or will allow!

I don't think you read the preceding posts or the news piece. They did allow his view to be shared. The UK allowed his movie Fitna to be shown in Parliament, but the UK as a country did not allow him to enter, in which they are justified of course. Furthermore, check the news piece Al Jassas brought into the conversation, too, which clearly shows a lot more people who were denied entry. Again to sum it up no one in the UK goverment actually banned his views, because Fitna was able to be shown in the UK, but they did not let him enter the country, because of reasonas they stated. What is so wrong in that? As Sparten put it, they both were allowed to excercise their freedom of speech, Wilders was allowed his freedom of speech by the UK government allowing his movie to be shown, and the UK government, too, by not allowing him the person to enter the country.

Sorry. I was thinking of an article from a different news thread about this very subject when i wrote that. The point is, every country in the west has groups spreading hate or chanting death and destruction toward the host country, regardless of whatever their affiliations are or their place of birth. And they are worried about the possibly repugnant views of this one man, a European bureaucrat  whom many in the world, most especially in the west have never even heard of until now, including me! It doesn't matter what his views are anymore, because he along with a slowly growing list of others here in the west are sure to be turned into tomorrow's posterboy of political correctness run amok by many on the extreme far right. They're stupidly making him into a free speech martyr along with thousands of others.

I'm sorry, but i don't think this has anything to do with social harmony, but more to do with a state being terrorized from within, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing if given a good reason. However, this doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to me at this time.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 09:25
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Certain non-violent action causes violent action.

The British government has obviously decided that he is inciting violence or hatred in a sufficent degree to be a threat to British national security. I can see no reason why I should doubt their judgement.

Quite, but the crime lies entirely with those who first resort to violence and it's a simple matter of prosecuting them like other criminals.

The irony here is that Wilders is denied entry to Britain for fear of the very tendencies he warns against. I suppose he must find some confirmation in this.

Originally posted by Menumorut

Initially Wilders obtained permission to come to Britain to speak and screen Fitna at the House of the Lords but Lord Ahmed, a representative of Muslims in Britain threatened to mobilize 10,000 Muslims in demonstration so the permission was canceled.

The peer is within his right to protest and there is nothing unlawful about a demonstration, yet it is indicative of the challenges we face. I wonder if the British government truly fears such a demonstration, or if they rather fear what such a demonstration could develop into. To put another it another way; did they respond to what they expected would be a reaction within the bounds of free speech, or did they respond to the threat of a violent riot?
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 09:41

Originally posted by edgewaters

Does Fitna explicitly incite violence?

No - and thats the point.
The basic message in Fitna is suggesting to tear up or ban the Quran since the Quran is inciting to violence - or rather, since the radical elements of Islam are using the scriptures to incite followers to violence.
The film is very strong in its expression - maybe too emotional for my taste. However - it's just a point of view and a suggestion.

To reject Wilders entrance because of this, is just another case of proving that the radical Islamic policy is working - yet another example of caving into fear.

We sell out of the most important western values in trade for peace - blackmail.

I agree ... I think inciting violence is the test in applying free speech. 

Wilders should be allowed to demand that we ban the Quran, just as Wilders' opponents should be allowed to demand that we ban his film, but we shouldn't give in to either one of them. We should only come down on those who explicitly call for violence as a solution. It is the only thing that matters because without violence, neither of them have any practical means of imposing their anti-free speech agenda on any unwilling subject.

Edited by edgewaters - 13-Feb-2009 at 09:44
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 09:45
Originally posted by edgewaters

I agree ... I think inciting violence is the test in applying free speech. 

Wilders should be allowed to demand that we ban the Quran, just as Wilders' opponents should be allowed to demand that we ban his film, but we shouldn't give in to either one of them. We should only come down on those who explicitly call for violence as a solution. It is the only thing that matters because without violence, neither of them have any practical means of imposing their anti-free speech agenda.

Indeed, this is the only feasible solution if freedom of speech is to be anything more than a tool for extremists.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 10:54
Originally posted by Reg

Quite, but the crime lies entirely with those who first resort to violence and it's a simple matter of prosecuting them like other criminals.

No, it doesn't.
Depending on the situation of course, the crime quite often lies equally with the one who provoked the violence.
The irony here is that Wilders is denied entry to Britain for fear of the very tendencies he warns against. I suppose he must find some confirmation in this.

No, Wilders is denied because he is a shamless racist, and he promotes hate, fear, and xenophobia.
Originally posted by Reg

Indeed, this is the only feasible solution if freedom of speech is to be anything more than a tool for extremists.

Indeed. Extremists like Wilders are hiding behind free-speech to spread their message of hate, what must be done is not to silence them or the equal & opposites, but to denouce them loudly and by all communities.

Every community has its extremists, there is only a problem when the moderate majority side with the extremists in their community rather than siding with the siding with majority moderates in other communities.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 13-Feb-2009 at 10:55
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 11:28
What sems strange is that this man is a member of the EU who is meant to be able to travel freely within it

I note that the UK allow to remain people who are NOT members of the EU nor citizens of the UK and who promote views of violence against the UK
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 12:37

No, it doesn't. Depending on the situation of course, the crime quite often lies equally with the one who provoked the violence.

It can if the violent response is harmless enough, but no insult is equal to murder.

No, Wilders is denied because he is a shamless racist, and he promotes hate, fear, and xenophobia.

This is your take on him, many British voters may disagree or even claim it is warranted.

Indeed. Extremists like Wilders are hiding behind free-speech to spread their message of hate, what must be done is not to silence them or the equal & opposites, but to denouce them loudly and by all communities.

Those who disagree with Wilders will denounce him, those who do not will either be supportive or ignore him. None of us can expect all communities to to work with our own agenda, nor can we speak for them.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 14:12

There is no such thing as a natural right to travel freely into one country where the government of that country representative of the people says that you cannot enter. Plenty of people experience that from all sides of the spectrum. His film is in the UK, it was viewed in many mediums, from political to the popular. Nothing wrong here at all. Every country has a right to decline visitor rights to a person that they deem may bring more negative than positive.

Of course he has a right to travel freely as others also points out, and of course it's wrong to deny him access. 
What crimes is he convicted of? - what laws did he violate in the UK or in Holland? - none.
Yet he is treated as a criminal.... and why?

Yes - the UK has a law they can use to keep violent elements out - and they have every right to use that law. But I bet they didn't have a dutchman in mind, when they made the law.
Ironically, now the same law is used to keep a "free speech" person out - to avoid trouble from the same radical elements that the law was created to keep out.

Let me ask you - why do YOU think they want to keep him off?
  1. Is it because they fear HE will make violent demonstrations, riots, crimes and bonfires of the Quran
  2. - or is it because the british authorities FEAR that others will react violently to his presence in the UK?
It's as simple as that - and I think the latter is why they keep him out.

Like I said in my first post - they are caving in to the already instilled fear from the exstremists, on the expense of freedom.

Edited by Northman - 13-Feb-2009 at 14:14
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 17:27
Who cares if they had or not had a dutchman in mind when they made it? Point is they have it and are using it within their own right and conscious thinking... whether or not that will be negative or positive is a different matter, but fact remains that they have that right as a independent state, and he does not have a natural right in the real world, but rather in a more harmonious non-governmental world, which sadly does not exist nor will ever. Thus a government has a right, if the majoirity of citizens of representatives in Parliament decide to get rid of it then of course that is different. 
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 18:06
This is just another example of what is becoming the most police minded country in Europe. CCTV cameras watching everybody from every angle, without their knowledge, attempts to put everybody on a massive DNA database in the presumption of guilt, which disgusts me, a "Section 5" public disorder ac that gives the police the legal right to arrest ANYBODY for anything they can think of, and a massively over-budget ID card scheme that is completely against people's rights to privacy. It didn't surprise me at all when I heard this.

Wilders is a democratically elected politician, he should be allowed to enter a fellow country of the EU. His views are not the issue, his right to express it is. I don't agree with what he has to say, but what right does the government have to decide what is potentially dangerous for their citizens to hear or be exposed to. It is their right to listen to him, to denounce him, to ignore him. It is not the government's right (or responsibility) to decide their course of action for them.

This sort of trend really worries me, and is the reason I would not like to live in the UK. Ireland is getting as bad, but not quite yet. And at the end of it all, Wilders is getting a lot more publicity for his video than he would ever have got without this debacle, so even the motivations of immigration are wholly questionable.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 18:40
Just to be clear, as a an EU citizen you do NOT have the right to travel freely per se, your country and others have an agreement that citizens can cross borders after showing a valid and acceptable proof of identity, it is not a right, it is a reciprocal agreement between members of the EU  by virtue of various treaties countries can and routinely do prevent movement.

Note Article 39 of the (amended EC Treaty)
  1. Freedom of movement for workers shall be secured within the Community.
  2. Such freedom of movement shall entail the abolition of any discrimination based on nationality between workers of the Member States as regards employment, remuneration and other conditions of work and employment.
  3. It shall entail the right, subject to limitations justified on grounds of public policy, public security or public health:
    (a) to accept offers of employment actually made;
    (b) to move freely within the territory of Member States for this purpose;
    (c) to stay in a Member State for the purpose of employment in accordance with the provisions governing the employment of nationals of that State laid down by law, regulation or administrative action;
    (d) to remain in the territory of a Member State after having been employed in that State, subject to conditions which shall be embodied in implementing regulations to be drawn up by the Commission.

If you really want to be bored, I can cite many dozens of ECJ cases on this issue, but until you do, suffice to say that as far as law and administration is concerned, countries can and do prevent entry.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 18:44
I agree with Dolphin but it is important to remember that many Islamic radicals have been turned away (Some from EU countries) on the pretense of preaching hate and threatening dissension. There wasn't nearly as great an outrage over that. A nation state has a right to refuse access to people who potentially preach dissent and hatred, which few would deny Wilders is guilty of.

yes, free speech, yes, right to debate and to argue with these philistines, but I don't think it can be viewed as simply as over-bearing statism. (Which Britain has become in the Labour years)

That said I do believe Wilders should have been allowed into the UK, if for no other reason that he be embarressed by eloquent and sophisticated speakers that British universities have in abundance. The mans simplicity is astounding.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 18:48
Originally posted by Dolphin

This is just another example of what is becoming the most police minded country in Europe. CCTV cameras watching everybody from every angle, without their knowledge, attempts to put everybody on a massive DNA database in the presumption of guilt, which disgusts me, a "Section 5" public disorder ac that gives the police the legal right to arrest ANYBODY for anything they can think of, and a massively over-budget ID card scheme that is completely against people's rights to privacy. It didn't surprise me at all when I heard this.
Wilders is a democratically elected politician, he should be allowed to enter a fellow country of the EU. His views are not the issue, his right to express it is. I don't agree with what he has to say, but what right does the government have to decide what is potentially dangerous for their citizens to hear or be exposed to. It is their right to listen to him, to denounce him, to ignore him. It is not the government's right (or responsibility) to decide their course of action for them.
This sort of trend really worries me, and is the reason I would not like to live in the UK. Ireland is getting as bad, but not quite yet. And at the end of it all, Wilders is getting a lot more publicity for his video than he would ever have got without this debacle, so even the motivations of immigration are wholly questionable.

I agree and the only violence I see is when a certain group is angered by what he says. When the Crucifix was put into a jar of urine and called art it made some Christian angry, especially Catholics, but where were the riots and killings? I am glad the vast majority of Muslims are sensible and would not go to this extreme. When he says he does not like Islam he only means the extreme end of this religion that is behind the violence. When he says he like Muslims I think he acknowledges the Muslims who are peaceful. Immigration. I agree Britain has the right to turn him away like Holland and the USA have the same right to regulate immigration- another issue. Let not turn ADD and keep on his right to enter Britain and even though the UK has that right I still have the right to condemn them for it.

I agree a few yahoo uneducated red necks might take his message to a hateful extreme but I have never learned to hate from him or others.

I put this link up so you can judge this debate for yourself.

Debate in House of Lords on the UK government's justification for barring Wilders from the country

http://news.parliament.uk/2009/02/geert-wilders/

Free speech is being threatened in the USA as well, even with our First Amendment.

David Horowitz- freedom center

Seven Muslims have put an restraining order on a reporter in Texas named Joe Kaufman and it seems free speech has been hamstrung in Europe and Canada but now they are trying to do it in the USA. If you want google it but I would make it another thread under free speech or whatever.

Edited by eaglecap - 13-Feb-2009 at 18:52
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 18:58
Sparten,
You are on the wrong page mate Smile 
You are quoting the part of the treaty addressing the right for EU citizens to take employment in another EU country. This is clearly not the issue in this case.

Any citizen of EU can travel freely within the borders of EU. You just have to be able to prove you are a citizen in EU, if you are asked to do so.
That is why most people carry their passport, although another document proving the same is adequate.

es_bih,
You only address the part of my post where we agree.
If you don't mind, please address the question in the last half part of my post which is the core issue.

Edited by Northman - 13-Feb-2009 at 19:00
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 19:06
No Northman, I am not on the wrong page. The right to move around in the EU is based on the free movement of workers, Article 39.
I know I am a just a swarthy, stupid Paki, who has no idea of "Western Values", but I would have thought three years of EU Law at the Uni of London LLB, and then at post graduate level would give me at least an idea of what the law is about.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>