Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Geert Wilders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geert Wilders
    Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 23:38
As far I know, Wilders movie and activity is based on two ideas, that Islam is opressive for the Muslims themselves and that the Muslims in Europe will replace our way of life with something we don't like because is not our cultural identity.

Initially Wilders obtained permission to come to Britain to speak and screen Fitna at the House of the Lords but Lord Ahmed, a representative of Muslims in Britain threatened to mobilize 10,000 Muslims in demonstration so the permission was canceled:

http://keeptonyblairforpm.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/lord-ahmed-threatens-to-mobilise-10000-so-wilders-visit-off/

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 00:09
This is what I real hypocritical.

When there is talk of some radical muslim guy comming to Britain, the media gets into a frenzy and says he should be put in prison for his views of hate, or that if your caught with any literature written by the likes of Al-Q you'll be put in prison. But when its the other way round, when it comes to bashing muslims well that's freedom of speech.

Its good the Brittish Government isn't allowing this Neo-Nazi with a twist, instead of being an extremist anti-semitic he' san extremist anti-muslim, into the country to stir up tensions and just create problems when there is so much effort to create more inter-faith harmony.

This is like somebody using the Israeli agression in Palestine, then finding and distorting some passages from the Torah and then claiming, Jews do this because its their nature, their religion teaches them to kill poor muslim kids and drink christian childrens blood.

If the media is so upset they can organise a gathering with KKK, Al-Q, Neo-Nazi''s and every other wacko extremist leader they can find on an uninhabited island and stay there for good.

Edited by Bulldog - 13-Feb-2009 at 00:12
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 00:22
Originally posted by edgewaters

Does Fitna explicitly incite violence?

No - and thats the point.
The basic message in Fitna is suggesting to tear up or ban the Quran since the Quran is inciting to violence - or rather, since the radical elements of Islam are using the scriptures to incite followers to violence.
The film is very strong in its expression - maybe too emotional for my taste. However - it's just a point of view and a suggestion.

To reject Wilders entrance because of this, is just another case of proving that the radical Islamic policy is working - yet another example of caving into fear.

We sell out of the most important western values in trade for peace - blackmail.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 00:43

Bugger Western or Eastern or muslim or French or Northern or Martian values! It is the UK's right to decide who enters their country. Making decisions at high levels of power often involves balancing competing considerations, often using informations that us lesser mortals don't have access to. Its a bit like when people want Saudi Arabia off the UN Rights Council ; becaise well I mean come on; its Saudi Arabia! Not realising that the Saudis pay for many of the initiatives that the council makes.

If it had been me, I would have let Wilders in, never a fan of restricting speech and expression, but I can say this, I don't envy the home office.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 00:54
Sorry Northman, I disagree. This is an application of already in place British policy.

Britain (and also Australian and America) refuse to grant visas to people who they consider will damage the harmony of the country. They ban extremist muslims, extremist anti-muslims, extremist holocaust deniers, who ever is assessed by the immigration officials to be harmful for the country.

This is an example (and not the only one) of the British immigration officials applying the law impartially. Now, you may consider that the law is wrong, personally I agree with not granting visas to every malcontent, however given that the law exists they have enacted it properly.

This is not a restriction of freedom of speech, because they are not restricting their own citizens, they are refusing entry to a foreigner who will stir up political trouble. Australia has recently refused the leader of the BNP entry (and has done so under the previous govt as well), as he is an Englishman the British cannot do anything against him, but if he were Dutch I am sure the British would refuse him entry as well.
To reject Wilders entrance because of this, is just another case of proving that the radical Islamic policy is working - yet another example of caving into fear.

They reject extremist muslims entry all the time, the law must be applied fairly and impartially. Letting him in is caving into fear and xenophobia - its saying one persons racism is acceptable and another is unacceptable. The British have not done this, and therefore have acted impartially in the execution of their law.

If you think he should have been permitted then you should be debating the morality of British immigration law. ie, refusing entry to unwanted activists.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 13-Feb-2009 at 00:56
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:15
Originally posted by eaglecap

Originally posted by Parnell

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/12/far-right-dutch-mp-ban-islamI think its counter-productive to refuse Wilders access to the UK. Firstly, I must feel very cynical about the British Home Office refusing anyone entry to the UK, considering its repressively anti-libertarian legislative agenda. I'm not one to claim that free speech is an absolute or anything but come on - turning this guy away doesn't do away with the ideas he has behind him, which unfortunatley have a bit of traction in some sections of British society (BNP voters, though in fairness they are in a very small minority) Considering Britains recent troubles with xenophobic unions the government have a fair argument in refusing him access but my inner hippy see's this in a prism of freedom of speech versus the creeping statism we've been seeing in the British government since the threat of terrorism rose its head.
  ...It only shows to me that Great Britain no longer believes in the freedom to criticize because it might be hate speech...  I know some in office want to pass hate speech laws here as well which I oppose or the government telling us what is hate speech that is.

Wait a minute? Did you just in your own words state that hate speech and freedom of speech are one and the same thing? Criticizing something or someone is all fine and dandy and we do that here on a daily basis in the U.S., but hate speech should never be allowed to be compared to freedom of speech. There is a difference between stating something in order to criticize and stating something you know is hateful and in hope of causing a hateful reaction against the subject of your "hate" speech. Now yes we can go all crazy on hate speech, too, like cases where two individuals of two ethnic or "racial" groups for the lack of a better term are involved in an altercation and the winner may be persecuted for "hate" due to the both not having the same skin color or something else. Now that is obviously pushing it in some cases, but of course there are still a lot of cases where people that are "other" get that type of rough and unjustified hateful treatment all over.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:19
Northman
The basic message in Fitna is suggesting to tear up or ban the Quran since the Quran is inciting to violence - or rather, since the radical elements of Islam are using the scriptures to incite followers to violence.
The film is very strong in its expression - maybe too emotional for my taste. However - it's just a point of view and a suggestion.

So you find nothing wrong with a pollitician who wants t ban the Qur'an?

What next, we'll be gathering round in city centres burning all Jewish oh I mean Muslim books in fires, putting stars oh no I mean crescent badges on muslims...you can see where this is going.

Brittish government is not allowing Neo-Nazi wackos to spread their nonsense and pollute impressionable minds with their rhetoric.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:24
Omar - you are missing my point.

The point is the answer to Edgewaters question.
Wilders is not inciting to, or advocating for violence - through his film, he is warning us of others who do just that - how they do it, and by what means.

I don't know him - he could be a racist for all I care - like many others with him.
Whether one racist or another should should be denied entry is not the point I want to make.
But someone inciting to violence should be banned - warning people shouldn't.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:26
Originally posted by Al Jassas

First of all let us make certain things clear.

This story has nothing to do with free speech although some people want to put it that way for political reasons.

The guy is a Dutch citizen, so regardless of whatever people want to portray the incident, the law is the law. He doesn't enjoy the civil liberties a British citizen have plus he is a visitor not a resident. The British government didn't prevent the screening of the film and incide the parliament itself among all places. It didn't arrest people or procecute them.

Second of all, I agree in principle with Parnell. While free speech becomes slander when it injures another person or group,ie slander or agitation, I think that there should be no limits on free speech in any other cases.

Mr. Geert is slandering muslims, agitating the masses against them and thus your principle Parnell applies to him.

Al-Jassas

I agree.

Also

for God's sake Snoop Dogg was banned from the UK a few years ago, too. It happens all the time. I guess he should have filed charges of "racism," but he didn't.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:38
Northman

He is calling for a minority to be persecuted so far that their Holy book should be outlawed, this can be argued as inciting violence as there may be groups encouraged by his hate speech to do harm to innocent muslims and burn their Holy books.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:41
Originally posted by Panther

I think it is ridiculous. What's the point of allowing one set of views to be expressed and not another. So... what it boils down to is... free speech for thee, but not for me. Regardless of the facts behind this, i'm sure the BNP has picked up more than a few votes with this continuely growing clusterf**k of more state intervention. Either all views are expressed for public dissemination or none are except for what  the state dictates or will allow!

I don't think you read the preceding posts or the news piece. They did allow his view to be shared. The UK allowed his movie Fitna to be shown in Parliament, but the UK as a country did not allow him to enter, in which they are justified of course. Furthermore, check the news piece Al Jassas brought into the conversation, too, which clearly shows a lot more people who were denied entry. Again to sum it up no one in the UK goverment actually banned his views, because Fitna was able to be shown in the UK, but they did not let him enter the country, because of reasonas they stated. What is so wrong in that? As Sparten put it, they both were allowed to excercise their freedom of speech, Wilders was allowed his freedom of speech by the UK government allowing his movie to be shown, and the UK government, too, by not allowing him the person to enter the country.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:42
Originally posted by Bulldog

What next, we'll be gathering round in city centres burning all Jewish oh I mean Muslim books in fires, putting stars oh no I mean crescent badges on muslims...you can see where this is going.

Brittish government is not allowing Neo-Nazi wackos to spread their nonsense and pollute impressionable minds with their rhetoric.

No - that is a perfectly fine opinion.
On the same note and for the same reason, I would find it fine if someone advocated to ban the Bible as well. It is used for exactly the same thing.
Not saying here that I would ban either book.
It's the principle - we do not need to share opinions - everyone is entitled to his.  

The point is - we are all entitled to opinions, but no one should be entitled to incite to violence or incite to harm others - let alone doing so.  Thats the difference.

Edited by Northman - 13-Feb-2009 at 01:45
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:45
Originally posted by Northman

Omar - you are missing my point.

The point is the answer to Edgewaters question.
Wilders is not inciting to, or advocating for violence - through his film, he is warning us of others who do just that - how they do it, and by what means.

I don't know him - he could be a racist for all I care - like many others with him.
Whether one racist or another should should be denied entry is not the point I want to make.

LOL

I love the dual nature of your argument. Nothing else to say.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:47

Northman

Well double standards.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:48
Northman I see your point, personally I think guys like him, Christian, Muslim, Athiest or whatever make their money and get their power causing hatred and tensions, they'd love for their to be groups of people from various ideological viewpoints slaughtering each other its what they feed off.

I support freedom of speech but some people just want to abuse it until people won't tolerate it anymore.
Albert Pine

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:53
Originally posted by es_bih

LOL

I love the dual nature of your argument. Nothing else to say.

Well - I'm used to explain things more ways - must be an occupational determined defect. Wink 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 01:55
Well it seems that you're doing over-time trying to find a way to justify this as "freedom of speech." What must he do? Lead a march and start a public burning before he is a hate monger?

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 02:09

Well it seems that you're doing over-time trying to find a way to justify this as "freedom of speech." What must he do? Lead a march and start a public burning before he is a hate monger?

Let me return the question:
What has he done that he should be punished in any way? - did he harm anyone? - did he ask others to go to holy war? - did he say he would kill someone?
No - he made a film expressing his concerns and fear.
Some people could find that movie hurtful or insulting - but that is not his problem.

Many people are more or less hate mongers, expressing their aversions.
We may not like it, but if they keep it at that, and not advocating to harm anyone - it's their right.

Can we convict or punish anyone for what he possibly might do? 

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 02:19

I support freedom of speech but some people just want to abuse it until people won't tolerate it anymore.

Indeed, but I see Freedom of Speech as the foundation of all other freedoms - and we should not barter that for anything - then other freedoms will start crumbling as well.

We all must learn to accept/acknowledge opinions different from our own - and live with that recognition.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 02:23
Originally posted by Northman

Let me return the question:
What has he done that he should be punished in any way? - did he harm anyone? - did he ask others to go to holy war? - did he say he would kill someone?
No - he made a film expressing his concerns and fear.
Some people could find that movie hurtful or insulting - but that is not his problem.

Many people are more or less hate mongers, expressing their aversions.
We may not like it, but if they keep it at that, and not advocating to harm anyone - it's their right.

Can we convict or punish anyone for what he possibly might do? 

Who punished him or hurt him in return? His film was viewed in Parliament and the UK was it not? He the person could not gain entry, and as Al-Jassas pointed out plenty of people are not allowed entry. This is a UK government issue not a freedom of speech issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>