Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Geert Wilders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geert Wilders
    Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 19:08
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/12/far-right-dutch-mp-ban-islam

I think its counter-productive to refuse Wilders access to the UK. Firstly, I must feel very cynical about the British Home Office refusing anyone entry to the UK, considering its repressively anti-libertarian legislative agenda.

I'm not one to claim that free speech is an absolute or anything but come on - turning this guy away doesn't do away with the ideas he has behind him, which unfortunatley have a bit of traction in some sections of British society (BNP voters, though in fairness they are in a very small minority) Considering Britains recent troubles with xenophobic unions the government have a fair argument in refusing him access but my inner hippy see's this in a prism of freedom of speech versus the creeping statism we've been seeing in the British government since the threat of terrorism rose its head.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 19:28
Originally posted by Parnell

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/12/far-right-dutch-mp-ban-islamI think its counter-productive to refuse Wilders access to the UK. Firstly, I must feel very cynical about the British Home Office refusing anyone entry to the UK, considering its repressively anti-libertarian legislative agenda. I'm not one to claim that free speech is an absolute or anything but come on - turning this guy away doesn't do away with the ideas he has behind him, which unfortunatley have a bit of traction in some sections of British society (BNP voters, though in fairness they are in a very small minority) Considering Britains recent troubles with xenophobic unions the government have a fair argument in refusing him access but my inner hippy see's this in a prism of freedom of speech versus the creeping statism we've been seeing in the British government since the threat of terrorism rose its head.

I agree with you Parnell and yes free speech can offend some people and while our First Amendment is still in place we have that right in the USA. I am not going to argue the validity of his movie Fitna or his message but that in a free society he has the right to criticize other groups whether they be; Christians, Commies, Liberals, neo cons, Captain Kangaroo or "yes" Muslims. It only shows to me that Great Britain no longer believes in the freedom to criticize because it might be hate speech. Gert Wilders is always welcome in the USA and if Holland succeeds in prosecuting him I hope the USA grants him asylum and tells Holland too bad!! I know some in office want to pass hate speech laws here as well which I oppose or the government telling us what is hate speech that is. It would be an insult to our founding fathers, our great constitution and yes all who have died fighting for our freedoms. Now, when British judges come after US publishers that is a different story but that is an old story and for another thread.
I really condemn Britain for turning him away but what can we do?   
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 20:05
Their country, their rules.

Plus many more people were denied entry to Britain who did nothing near what he did on the basis of them being anti-semite (which under new definitions means just criticising Israel). Good for the Brits I say seeing them generalising the rule.

Al-Jassas
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 20:21
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Their country, their rules.

Plus many more people were denied entry to Britain who did nothing near what he did on the basis of them being anti-semite (which under new definitions means just criticising Israel). Good for the Brits I say seeing them generalising the rule.

Al-Jassas

Do you have any links for their story Al Jassas? I am not sure what their message was but when any message which incites violence and the overthrow of a culture or nation then it is sedition and not free speech but where do you draw the line? They have the right to criticize but not threaten. I am not saying this was what they promoted, I don't know.
I know some of the things the NAZI party says in the USA is not free speech when they talk about killing or hurting other groups or those who do not agree with them.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 20:23
This incident poses an interesting question.

Some say refusing Geert Wilders entry to Britain because of his opinions is a violation of free speech, while the British government argues it's for the sake of preserving social harmony. Now it is obvious that the ones who would have upset social harmony would be mostly Muslim, which begs the question; should we allow religious minorities to have an influence on when free speech applies, or should the government defend free speech uncompromisingly?

I know where I stand.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 20:33
Based on your argument Mr. Geert deserves to be kicked out of Britain.

The guy promotes a message of hate towards muslims that only a blind guy or a guy who actually supports his ideas doesn't see. This threatens the British way of life and social harmony and thus he is a threat to the country (muslims are about 3% of Britains population and up to 15% in big urban centers).

The guys that the Brits refused visas are people whom you don't know nor did they make a big story (mostly imam's, religious scholar and political activists). Here is a link to some links of people Britain previously banned.

Al-Jassas
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 20:39
Hello Regi

One yes or no question and with no left or right. Since you support the guy under free speach and free speach is so sacred.

Do you support the right of the British bishop denying the Holocaust?

Do you condemn the witch hunt he is currently facing?

Al-Jassas
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 20:45

Do you support the right of the British bishop denying the Holocaust?

Do you condemn the witch hunt he is currently facing?

Let's be careful not to derail the thread here, but to answer you; yes, to both questions. Historical revisionists are tedious, but hardly criminal.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 20:51
I do not agree but I respect your view and will ponder it more as free speech. I have watched fitna and obsession and they made me love the Muslim who are victims of the extremist. Whether I support his ideas is irrelevant but his freedom to speak is, especially here.   I will read over the link Al Jassas because I, even though I don’t know you, sense you are honorable.
I do not know British law which governs speech but in the USA he is protected by our Bill of Rights and the Constitution. If someone wants to criticize Christians then by all means go ahead or the commies.

First Amendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Hate speech laws, like in England, would ban the criticism of certain groups like homosexuality, Islam or whoever, no matter how true it is. If you read the first Amendment passing such a law would also violate one of our fundamental tenets. It would anger me and would makes me wonder, "what would our founding father do?".   
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 20:55
Then I salute you and have no problem with your stance although I do have an objection on how you portrayed the incident.

What I have a problem with is those people who think that they can make exception to a rule they profess and think they can get away with it.

You are either with free speach or you are against it. There is no limits.

It was from this point muslims and their supporters came in the cartoon incident and this incident. Britain has laws and these laws were applied. They denied a foreigner access and its their country but they still allowed the film to be screened in the parliament. There is nothing wrong here because they proved that all are under the same rules.

However in the rest of europe things are totally different. Jews, and sorry for not being PC, have special treatment. They can't be criticised, they can't be insulted in the same way the Dutch film insulted muslims and the holocaust is the sacred cow. If you dare say 5 999 999 jews died in the Nazi holocaust but not 6 million, you just signed the distruction of everything dear to you from your career to even your freedom (Germany, Austria and France jail those who question the official holocaust story even if they swear by everything that is holy that they believe the holocaust is true).

Al-Jassas
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 21:13
Freedom of speech is a principle. Speech in reality is heavily regulated, for the general cohesiveness of society. I could not, for example, declare that Al Jassas in a murdering raping tyrant. Were we to live in the same jurisdiction, I would rightfully face slander charges (Or possibly worse) Freedom of speech is the right to be wrong, not to do wrong. People forget that.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 21:17

Then I salute you and have no problem with your stance although I do have an objection on how you portrayed the incident.

What I have a problem with is those people who think that they can make exception to a rule they profess and think they can get away with it.

Indeed, everyone should have a problem with hypocrisy.

I portrayed the incident the way I did because I do not want to see a tendency where a potentially violent mob can threaten a democratically elected party into a particular course of action. That is a step towards anarchy. Britain in this case handles the problem backwards; social harmony is achieved not when the government fears the people, but when the people fear the government.

However in the rest of europe things are totally different. Jews, and sorry for not being PC, have special treatment. They can't be criticised, they can't be insulted in the same way the Dutch film insulted muslims and the holocaust is the sacred cow. If you dare say 5 999 999 jews died in the Nazi holocaust but not 6 million, you just signed the distruction of everything dear to you from your career to even your freedom (Germany, Austria and France jail those who question the official holocaust story even if they swear by everything that is holy that they believe the holocaust is true).

I couldn't agree more with you. Either there is free speech or there isn't, and in the case of the countries you mentioned there isn't. A German I know even told me you can get in trouble for owning Nazi souvenirs, even if it's just out of historical interest. Now, I would never deny the Holocaust and I don't see why the exact estimate of dead Jews even matters, but truth is the entire genocide has gotten a disproportionally large amount of attention at the expense of numerous other ethnic, religious and political groups who suffered as much if not more during WW2. I especially feel for the peoples who lived along the eastern front and suffered both at the hands of the Nazis and Sovjet, the Ukrainians, Poles and Baltics come to mind, as well as for the German civilians who were subjected to a brutal ethnic cleansing in eastern Europe. Few however speak out for these people, few realise just how overshadowed their suffering has been by the Holocaust, but many would protest against presenting their suffering as equal to that of the Jews.

Edited by Reginmund - 12-Feb-2009 at 21:21
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 21:27

It was from this point muslims and their supporters came in the cartoon incident and this incident. Britain has laws and these laws were applied. They denied a foreigner access and its their country but they still allowed the film to be screened in the parliament. There is nothing wrong here because they proved that all are under the same rules.

Al-Jassas

Yes I agree the world is full of hypocrisy and although I believe there was a holocaust if someone wants to preach there was not then that is their right or at least here. I know some NAZI groups in America who were preaching that but they were protected by the First Amendment. I have encountered Communist groups at my old college and while I do not agree with their message they were protected; as long as they do not preach overthrowing our government and constitution.

I was surprised to see Martha Steward on that list!! Poor Martha- LOL

Edited by eaglecap - 12-Feb-2009 at 21:28
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 21:33

First of all let us make certain things clear.

This story has nothing to do with free speech although some people want to put it that way for political reasons.

The guy is a Dutch citizen, so regardless of whatever people want to portray the incident, the law is the law. He doesn't enjoy the civil liberties a British citizen have plus he is a visitor not a resident. The British government didn't prevent the screening of the film and incide the parliament itself among all places. It didn't arrest people or procecute them.

Second of all, I agree in principle with Parnell. While free speech becomes slander when it injures another person or group,ie slander or agitation, I think that there should be no limits on free speech in any other cases.

Mr. Geert is slandering muslims, agitating the masses against them and thus your principle Parnell applies to him.

Al-Jassas
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 21:35
Does Fitna explicitly incite violence?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 21:36
Regi, democracy by its nature means that "  a potentially violent mob can threaten a democratically elected party into a particular course of action". Democracy ain't pretty. If the majority would have their way, lots of nasty and unpleasent things would happen.

Wilders has a right to free speech and so dose the UK Home office. It is the right of Wilders to say what he wants, and the right of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, to decide who enters their country.

Never thought I would be defending Wilders and the UK Home office in one paragraph.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 21:44
Originally posted by Sparten

Regi, democracy by its nature means that "  a potentially violent mob can threaten a democratically elected party into a particular course of action".

In a working democracy the potentially violent mob, or the people to use a nicer word, elects their government through voting, then the government must be allowed to sit its term and carry out its policies. If the people are displeased they have to wait until the next election and vote for someone else. To overrule this practice with violence is an act of totalitarianism.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 21:47
Originally posted by Sparten

Regi, democracy by its nature means that "  a potentially violent mob can threaten a democratically elected party into a particular course of action". Democracy ain't pretty. If the majority would have their way, lots of nasty and unpleasent things would happen.

Wilders has a right to free speech and so dose the UK Home office. It is the right of Wilders to say what he wants, and the right of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, to decide who enters their country.

Never thought I would be defending Wilders and the UK Home office in one paragraph.

Good point and one of the rare time we agree Sparten-
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 23:20
Not all of us agree on his right to speak on this topic and one such article is here:

I do not agree with him that the Koran should be banned but that is his opinion and sadly it is assuming that all Muslims would take it to such an extreme; some do and some do not. It varies just like Christianity or any religion. I still condemn Britian for its lack of courage.

His view:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1141622/Dutch-MP-arrives-Heathrow-booted-Britain-anti-Islam-film.html

BILLIONAIRE CULT LEADER Reverend Sun Myung Moon, 89
I did not know he was banned from the UK but I can see why. The moonies!! I wish they would ban his entry into the USA- LOL kidding!!
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 23:27
I think it is ridiculous. What's the point of allowing one set of views to be expressed and not another. So... what it boils down to is... free speech for thee, but not for me. Regardless of the facts behind this, i'm sure the BNP has picked up more than a few votes with this continuely growing clusterf**k of more state intervention. Either all views are expressed for public dissemination or none are except for what  the state dictates or will allow!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>