Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your greatest Total war victory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your greatest Total war victory
    Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 15:43
Now I know this may sound like a mine is bigger than yours topic but please try to be honest.

What was your greates victory in any of the total war games (Rome, Medeival II etc...) you can add losses and kills and/or other reasons that made the battle significant iun establishing dominence

One of my greatest victories was when the first shots from my battle (from a catapult) with the Holy Roman Emperor (forgot his name) incidentally killed him and prolly helped me win the battle.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 18:52
I love drawing up an intricate battle plan and sending out members of the royal household to claim the glory. Once, in a very hard setting, after taking Jerusalem while crusading as France, our depleted army of knights (The only soldiers left who I could muster where knights and a few spearmen) smashed an egyptian army who outnumbered us four to one. In the desert battle I would send out one unit of mercenary turcomen, get them to draw their infantry out while I'd get the knights to charge the flanks and rear. By splitting the armies up like this I effectively took out the Egyptians in four small battles within a larger battle. I gave myself a proper pat on the shoulder afterwards.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 19:43
Winning the battle of Carrhae (RTW) on the hardest setting was insane. I had 4 horsemen left by the end though, so no chance of continuing a campaign...
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2009 at 06:23
On Rome I routed a peasant army with just my generals bodyguard cavalry.  90 versus 1000/1500 or something like that.  Great fun luring one unit away from the group, charging straight through and repeat.  Or on Rome Barbarian Invasions I fought again as just a general vs. 500 infantry (not peasants but barbarian infantry or something) and used a huge boulder on the map to lead them around and round, then charging through a unit that gets separated until they were all destroyed.  Ring around the rosy indeed.  Though I recall an epic battle as the seleucids with around 3000 troops (phalanx pikemen, and some cataphracts) versus a roman army of equal strength consisting of nothing but principes, triarii and a couple units of cavalry (the pre marius reforms good version).  Lost 2500 men but I pulled off the hammer and anvil perfectly, just like hannibal at cannae; routed their cavalry and surrounded their entire infantry force.  Killed them to a man.  I forgot how much fun that game was.  Don't get me started on epic sieges.  (one unit of archers can destroy a whole army, lure them up to the gates and observe your watchtowers go nutsBig smile)  75 archers wiping out 3500 parthians, nothing more satisfying than seeing the strategy map after and observing the once mighty stack of troops reduced to a general and his pitiful bodyguard.Approve

Edited by Justinian - 15-Feb-2009 at 06:25
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2009 at 09:00
Oh I totally know what you mean Justinian!

Hammer and anvil is so satisfying. Soooo satisfying. Just like using archers (even peltasts) on your walls against a besieging force.

I think the most satisfying battles to win are multiplayer ones Thumbs Up
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2009 at 12:16
I remember one amazing victory in which my opening cannon barrage literally killed three enemy generals, decimated their ranks and routed the majority of their army. Regrettably before I could toggle a halt to the firing the next barrage lodged an exploding cannon ball quite firmly in the posterior of my super-general.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2009 at 22:57
I think my greatest has to be this,
I was once beseiging sofia in MTW2, I pulled most of my troops away for some other purpose and left only a skeleton crew to man the siege. The enemy naturally sallied forth. My tactics were to draw of invidiual units and then ride them down, as my armies are usually always majority cavalry I use my speed advantage to best ability. In this case, the enemy outnumbered me sufficiently that even after pulling them apart I did not have the strength to beat them quickly. I was just about to abandon the siege and retreat when I realised that when the enemy soliders had left the fortress, they had left the gate open!

I took all of the cavalry I could gave a wide berth around their flank and went straight into the undefended fortress, occupied the centre, and waited for my 3 minute timer to expire. The computer AI panicked and ordered all of its units back into the fortress, that meant:
1) The remained of my army that I didn't order into the undefended fortress was now looking at the rear of retreating soliders
2) When their units did make it back they came into the narrow streets of the fortress piecemeal and tired. Facing off fresh heavy cavalry.
3) Their army was now pincered between the two halves of mine.

It took just less than three minutes to butcher their whole army.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2009 at 23:06
Nice work, Omar. It's always very sneaky to send a small detachment of cavalry in through open gates, to the central plaza until the timer expires Thumbs Up
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 19:21
Oh, I think Rome was far more difficult in those aspects. I got some good victories in the RTR: Platinum Mod, though I can't remember exact situations any longer.

I do remember though that once... I tried facing off some kind of a Macedonian stack and I thought something like 'Let's just charge with all units, I'll win anyways!' and I did so and I was completely routed after enemy lost some 20 men.
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 00:41
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

Now I know this may sound like a mine is bigger than yours topic but please try to be honest.

What was your greates victory in any of the total war games (Rome, Medeival II etc...) you can add losses and kills and/or other reasons that made the battle significant iun establishing dominence

One of my greatest victories was when the first shots from my battle (from a catapult) with the Holy Roman Emperor (forgot his name) incidentally killed him and prolly helped me win the battle.

Mine is bigger than yours.
What is the officer problem?
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 15:15
my favorite unit in Rome was the Greek Armored Hoplite amazing defensive unit poor offensive. Unless they were flanked by cavalry in which the Greek cavalry is poor. I remember when the House of Scipii tried to take Syracuse and I have roughly 400 men. He had 0ver 1,000; I just massed all my hoplites in the town square guarding every street and I lost like 56 while they suffered a complete route losing 600. That battle also broke his army in Sicily and I easily took the island.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 07:49
I have hundreds of greatest Total war victories, so many that i dont even know where to begin.
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
khshayathiya View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote khshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 17:09
I remember a siege battle in RTR PE. I was fighting with Macedon and was besieged by Thracians.

Overconfidence made me take out all my troops and line them up for battle. As it happened, they managed to smash through the centre of my phalanx and from there my whole formation literally crumbled. Fortunately for myself, the walls saved the day, as they killed off the pursuing Thracians.

That's when I have really begun to understand Chaeroneia and how Alexander was able to exploit the famous "gap in the line".

Who says TW is not an educational tool?!
Duke of Parma View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Duke of Parma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 00:10

The one I always remember is in Medieval 2 where I was besieging Paris and I was attacked by two french armies with a sortie by the garrison. I had my army at half strength from campaigning and I still won, and killed the king of France.

"The people were not made for the sake of the prince, but the prince for the sake of the people."
Philip II of Spain
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 05:31
Khshayathiya - I totally understood what you mean about TW being educational! Rome Total War was what kicked off not only my interest in, but also knowledge on the Classical European and Mediterranean world. Yes this meant that my foundations were strongly military based, but this is a good place to start, and from there the other aspects of history have blossomed too.

I can still remember learning about the historical battles you can play, like Trebia, Carrhae, Raphia and such. Smile
khshayathiya View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote khshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 16:51
Plus, gaming has come under the scrutinising eye of academics and might become more and more useful as a research and teaching method.

There was a conference organised in Reading by D. Lowe and K. Shahabudin called "Classics Hell", dealing with the reception of classical subjects in modern media - including video gaming.

There is also a book available - the proceedings of the conference -, but I'm not sure if the policy of the forum allows me to mention it here.
 Post Reply Post Reply