Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

...Being 40....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...Being 40....
    Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 20:01

…..not that I have given it much serious thought, but it has recently dawned on me that this year I will turn 40 years old….now I know that old adage about ‘life begins at 40,’ but to be honest, I have no reason to suggest my life has not been ‘started’ from as long as I can remember….

….right now, I do not feel ‘40’…..but then again, having  never had a 40th birthday before, I cannot say realistically what being aged 40 is actually suppose to feel like!…I still ‘feel’ relatively the same person I was , say, 20 years ago, ok, I have a few more aches and pains, less hair, and the result of a motorbike accident in my youth has started to catch up with me, however, I have yet to develop a serious mid-drift problem, I still listen to the most extreme rock and metal music and I still find Tom and Jerry cartoons very funny, my ‘heroes’ are Genghis Khan, Cromwell, Daffy Duck and Tony Iommi…the same as they were when I was 15…

…the only thing I have found is some of things I used to enjoy when I was younger have somehow been removed from my life by means of stealth…ever since my son was born, I seem to have involuntarily given up drinking alcohol…..not through choice, it just kinda happened….the other day I met up with an old friend for a pint and after one drink I felt about as stable as a one legged man in a bum kicking contest….my idea of a having a thrill nowadays is eating two sugary doughnuts followed by a glass of ice cold Coke Cola…!!..the buzz is great!!!…but like I said, its not through choice…it seems like I have given up most of my youthful enjoyments but didn’t really know it…???…

…I have no intention of trying to ‘re-capture’ my youth via a mid-life crisis, nor do I intend to settle into middle age and become all dusty and covered in cobwebs…..I still enjoy the spontaneous, play my music loud, have arguments with my mates, shout loudly at the TV when the football is on and generally make a nuisance of myself as much as I can…pretty much what I did when I was younger….youngsters look at me as if I am a old codger, but underneath this aged exterior, lies a body with several tattoos, the remains of old piercing, scars, and some stories that wil put your hair on end… in short, I have no idea what it is like to grow old…and maybe that’s a good thing…

..so, any forty-something’s here have any stories, revelations or experiences to tell???

..all the best….I am of to play cars with my son!!!…AoO…

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 20:12
I suppose if you are 20 that is old but if you are 60 or 80 that is young-LOL It is all perspetive!! I have but one year and I will be there- ouch!! Remember, if you are a tree 40 is very young!!! Especially for a bristle cone pine!!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 21:02
I'm not forty yet but I discovered that you feel better if you try to be like the generations that now are kids or teens. Not because they are young but because they know how to be young. I mean the older generations, the ones who enjoyed youth in seventies, eighties or before, have had a wrong consciousness of youth, seeing it as a passing thing, while the today kids think to be young for ever.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 21:08
Originally posted by eaglecap

I suppose if you are 20 that is old but if you are 60 or 80 that is young-LOL It is all perspetive!! I have but one year and I will be there- ouch!! Remember, if you are a tree 40 is very young!!! Especially for a bristle cone pine!!!

....thats a fair point Eaglecap...i remember hanging in the pub when i was 15...er..sorry...18..and looking at some of the other blokes who were in their 30's and thinking, blimey, your old!!!...but when i reached 30 plus, i did not feel any different to when i was in my late teens....it is about perspective...but i think its more defined when you are younger....being 'older' is just so 'out there'....to far away to even consider, hard to imagine....i remember being 21 forever, or so it felt...once i turned 22, the years just flew by...all of a sudden, i was 30!!!..thinking, what the hell, where did that go!!!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 21:49
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

....thats a fair point Eaglecap...i remember hanging in the pub when i was 15...er..sorry...18..and looking at some of the other blokes who were in their 30's and thinking, blimey, your old!!!...but when i reached 30 plus, i did not feel any different to when i was in my late teens....it is about perspective...but i think its more defined when you are younger....being 'older' is just so 'out there'....to far away to even consider, hard to imagine....i remember being 21 forever, or so it felt...once i turned 22, the years just flew by...all of a sudden, i was 30!!!..thinking, what the hell, where did that go!!!

I still can do most things I did as a teenager but maybe lift since I ruptured my disc but that can happen at any age. I still hike and backpack into the wilderness like I use to, will till I am 108+++. I remember when I was in my earlier 30's this 20 year old called me old. Later on, I was walking with another friend about 21 talking about the other guy calling me old. As we were walking I bumped into a man about in his late fifties or early sixties and he said to, excuse me young man!" I said to my friend, "see it is all perspective. "
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 13:42
Originally posted by Menumorut

I'm not forty yet but I discovered that you feel better if you try to be like the generations that now are kids or teens. Not because they are young but because they know how to be young. I mean the older generations, the ones who enjoyed youth in seventies, eighties or before, have had a wrong consciousness of youth, seeing it as a passing thing, while the today kids think to be young for ever.

Everybody thinks and always thought they would be young forever.
They were and are all wrong.

There are no 'old people' and 'young people' just people who are - temporarily - young and - temporarily - old. And, of course, temporarily in-between.
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 13:47
All this talk of being old is making ME feel old. And I am only 20 years young =0
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 13:49
Lol. Feels great to be 20!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 14:00
I never know men are concerned about their age.. Ermm

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 14:46
Originally posted by cahaya

Our beauty fades too. Cry
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 14:58
Originally posted by gcle2003

Everybody thinks and always thought they would be young forever.
They were and are all wrong.

There are no 'old people' and 'young people' just people who are - temporarily - young and - temporarily - old. And, of course, temporarily in-between.

If you don't believe in immortality you neither can believe in staying young forever. I agree with the second phase in the sense that spirit has no age but you can educate yourself to see yourself as a youngster.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 16:17

.....some of the comments, and getting back to the perspective thing again, made me recall that some of the 'oldest' people i have met have been in their teens, while some of the 'youngest' have been 60 plus in years!!....

..a bit similar to fact that some of the thickest people i have met have been at university while some of the most intelligent, thoughtful, insightful individuals i have experienced have worked with me on a building site!!...of course its works vice-versa but i do just love that kind of mix of people....Clap

....i also remember going to university when i was 30 and attending at the same time as my two 18 year old nieces...you should have seen the 'you pervert' looks i got when i greeted my nieces with a hug!!!!Shocked.....perspective and context at work!!!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 19:49
I read about a moutain village in Japan where the people eat a sticky veggie and it causes their bodies to keep producing an enzyme called hylunronic acid. From what I have read this is the enzyme which holds the moisture in our connective tissue and as we age we lose the ability to produce it. The article talked about people in their 80's and 90's still working on their farms and riding motor bikes around like a teenager. You can buy hyluronic acid now at any health food store in pill form. It is funny how these people work out in the sun and yet have smooth faces, not wrinkled. In comparison 40 is still young but it might be a good time to start taking this enzyme.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 20:26

I read about a moutain village in Japan where the people eat a sticky veggie and it causes their bodies to keep producing an enzyme called hylunronic acid. It is funny how these people work out in the sun and yet have smooth faces, not wrinkled. In comparison 40 is still young but it might be a good time to start taking this enzyme.

...LOLLOL...However, i would not take anything that suggests that it could make someone 'younger'...its a bit too vain for me.....Big smile.....at this stage in life, i am not wearing too badly as it happens, i think mainly because i spent about the first 10 or 12 years working outside doing physical labour in all weathers and that sort of kept me fit (ish)..its put me in good stead for the remaining years....the dodgy leg now means i cannot do any kind of strenuous physical exercise, so i think perhaps, my 40's is maybe where everything starts getting droopy, worn, and incoherant....Cry...

....i am losing hair slowly..but i have always had a high hairline anyway so it kinda looks like i had receding hair even in my teens..so now, the rest of body looks set to finally caught up!!.....nevertheless, my son keeps me active and i have grown fond of Pingu the Penguin DVD's so things are not that bad.......!!!

..all the best....AoO...
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 21:22
Originally posted by Reginmund

Originally posted by cahaya

Our beauty fades too. Cry

Speak for yourself.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 22:24
I am 21 . Sometimes i feel so suppressed and old, although i have not lived anything yet. Other times i feel too young to actually live anything. Shit, i am screwed. 

Edited by Spartakus - 05-Feb-2009 at 22:25
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 23:54
Wow Sparty...very deep man....very deeeeeep
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 00:13
hmmm all this talk of old age makes me feel that lifes too short to waste. Yep im only 15 and i also dream of staying young forever..but as far as we know the fountain of youth still hasn't been discovered yet.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 00:29
Originally posted by Spartakus

I am 21 . Sometimes i feel so suppressed and old, although i have not lived anything yet. Other times i feel too young to actually live anything. Shit, i am screwed. 

Hey I often feel the same way
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 00:49
Originally posted by Spartakus

Man, you know, you're not alone. CryWinkLOL

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>