Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'special relationship' rejuvenated??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'special relationship' rejuvenated??
    Posted: 14-Feb-2009 at 23:29
It's faults are always accentuated and for alot of good rational reasons. However, the more passionate a person can be in denouncing a system, the more blinded they are by their own biases, atleast... that is how i feel. So, what is the British legacy besides fractured countries, social-financial inequities & past memories of dependency & ethical abuse being among the more oft, but not only... numerously heard charges at shaming the country that had spawned the current entities that we currently know now as either commonwealth members or those who have disassociated themselves from it. It is one thing too point out all of it's endearing faults and what not, while forgetting to also counterbalance their emotions with more reasonable thought. It is a totally different thing too swim against the current tide of public condemnation, by pointing out the other p.o.v. in respect out of all fairness and decency, and without trying to add the jingoism from that era. I offer just a few, perhaps more of a sampling of the remains still used or possibly even enjoyed by the indigenous people once they were left alone to tend to their own internal problems by the Empire that was formerly known as the British:

The English Language, being the first language of 300+ million people with it being the secondary language of 400+ million around the world. (Whether an individual disagrees with, hate or looks down upon the language or not, is i think... irrelevant! I am after all greatly enjoying reading or discussing opinions with people from around the world, that i might not otherwise have had the chance to do so with.)

The Parlimentary system of Government with common law for their legal system in the former colonies.

Rugby, cricket, football - (Soccer for us here in the US), golf and lawn tennis are all ball games left behind after the British Empire.

In some countries like India, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and some other countries surrounding them in their respective regions, including the Caribbean & ect... there is that peculiarly odd phenomena to most of us here in this world... I offer by mentioning the driving on the left side of the road.

Also, in the effects during and even thereafter...  of the Empire, there was a constantly consistent migration of millions of people either to or from the UK that still continues to this very day.

Also for all the anglophiles/phobics out there, we can't forget atleast two of the most world famous citizens from their respective countries who played very important roles in freeing their countries from the Empire or from the inherent racism that so effected their countries, while strangely still feeling some warm affections somewhere deep down in their psyches for this entity that had shaped the private lives. In fact... the reverence that the world holds for them borders near the line of Sainthood, that if there was any possible way to anoint the first of groups for secular sainthood, then these gentlemen probably would have been among the first to have been anointed so. Also, bare in mind, that this is an era in which it was a common misunderstood among many empires in the world, to not even bother with educating even one single indigenous person.

The first that comes to my mind is the often revered worldwide (Even on this board) Mr. Gandhi, who after all, was trained as a lawyer in all places... a college in London. One imagines what might have happened to India if racism in the colonies was non-existent to the point that Mr. Gandhi might have spent the rest of his life working as an anonymous lawyer in some British colony til the day he died. I can only imagine tiny little fractured states that would still be a big old bloody mess even now.

Then there is Nelson Mandela also himself was lawyer and influenced fro a while by the above, is a product of the oft reviled Empire, whom it should not be forgotten... was himself taught by the English Wesleyan missonaries and subsequently attended a college that was funded by the same group. If not for the racism before and then the subsequent impositon of apartheid by the Afrikaner party, he himself may have languished in some anonymous law firm working either for private hire or for the state.

Just some thoughts for everyone too consider.

Panther

Note: My source is mainly Wikipedia, but the information in where they have gotten their info from seems to be reasonably balanced with both pros and cons of the British Empire.

Edited by Panther - 14-Feb-2009 at 23:38
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2009 at 04:20
All of these things could and have been achieved without "Empire," and without the need for stealing and killing. I think a lot of people undermine that about Empires lately, why? because they feel threatened that their heritage is under attack, which is not true, heritage is one thing, you can be proud of being English, and a lot of people in the world with a rational brain will acknowledge things that are good about another society, but yes there is no reason not to denounce the Empire that the UK upheld for the negatives it has done in the world. The Pakistan/India problem, etc... are just some of the things that Empire messed up on.

No one is absolutely good nor evil, but there are injustices that were caused, especially to the non-white colonies and I don't see why it is blinding to not downplay on that.
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 11:53
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by nuvolari

I have been called an "Imperialist" in this forum and I have no problem with that.   In order NOT to unduly inflame others, though, I won't go so far as to say that I believe the British Empire was the best thing that has ever happened to this World (although I do believe that it was ! ), I will merely say that others should examine closely the state of many of the countries that previously were a part of that Empire (notably, of course, all of the ex Empire African countries ).  If there remains even one today that is remotely anwhere near the state of good health and civil stability that it was whilst a part of the Empire, then I'm a monkey's Uncle !

Actually almost all of them are in total crap mostly due to the British, like the British came in good will Ouch, LOL you must smoke some powerful stuff to come here and believe that asinine garbage. Dead. The British stole enough from Africa to repay them for generations to come, but hey... after all the guy with the wildest imagination in the world thinks otherwise so it must be true... if you believe hard enough that is.

Of course there was a strong element of exploitation by the British of their Empire.  We'd have been fools not to have "exploited" some/many aspects of those countries that formed a part of our erstwhile Empire. We even extracted financial taxes from them, too, and it is interesting that quite soon after it being a part of Empire the USA baulked at paying those taxes despite the vast amounts of blood and treasure poured into that country by the British in defending it from the French/Indians and Canadians for many years.  Rightly or wrongly, the whole of Western civilisation is founded on capitalism and it is that that supports the creation of Empires and all of the benefits that bestows upon Mankind !
In closing, may I make the point that you are a MODERATOR, are you not. Given your immoderate responses, just how does that work in your case ?
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 12:08

All of these things could and have been achieved without "Empire," and without the need for stealing and killing. I think a lot of people undermine that about Empires lately, why? because they feel threatened that their heritage is under attack, which is not true, heritage is one thing, you can be proud of being English, and a lot of people in the world with a rational brain will acknowledge things that are good about another society, but yes there is no reason not to denounce the Empire that the UK upheld for the negatives it has done in the world. The Pakistan/India problem, etc... are just some of the things that Empire messed up on.

No one is absolutely good nor evil, but there are injustices that were caused, especially to the non-white colonies and I don't see why it is blinding to not downplay on that.

"Without the need for the Empire's alleged stealing and killing"  ?    The Zulus ( a tribe I greatly admire ) had been murdering , raping and pillaging the other tribes of Africa for aons before the British and Dutch came along and introduced Law and Order as part of the benefits of Empire.  In the 1950's the Kikuyu and Mau Mau murdered and raped both black and white Kenyans before being suppressed by the armed forces of the British Empire. After the Empire was dismantled, the Hutus and Tutsis again commited the most appalling atrocities upon one another and did so in the absence of the likely intervention of either Empire forces or he UN. All of this tells me that remove the stabilising influence of Empire away from the African/Indian/Middle Eastern countries and what do you get ?  Anarchy and bloody political/religionist struggle.     
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 15:45
Stabilizing? Your Empire created these ongoing problems. Same with Pakistan and India and the Palestinian and Israeli conflict. Yup a mod with an opinion, just taking advantage of my natural right to speak ;).

Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 15:58
Given that an Empire exists, how would you dispose of it ?
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 16:04
[QUOTE=es_bih]Stabilizing? Your Empire created these ongoing problems. Same with Pakistan and India and the Palestinian and Israeli conflict. Yup a mod with an opinion, just taking advantage of my natural right to speak ;).

[/QUOT
 Since I joined this forum I have formed the opinion that it is, by and large, quite a respectable one where people of some intelligence may lucidly express their views and hope to have them responded to in a similar manner.  Moreover, although I do not like the power and lack of accountability of moderators, I do accept the need for them when they do not abuse their position. That is not to say that you abuse your position, but your lack of both moderation and restraint does neither yourself nor this forum any credit.

I am prepared to accept that the exit of India from the British Empire in 1947 was not conducted quite as seemly as it should have been.  The UK had promised India its independence for its participation and support in WW2, and other nations, notably the USA (as ever meddling in the business of others ! ) was bringing undue pressure on the UK to allow India to leave the Empire. Moreover, the UK had been bankrupted (again largely by the USA ) by WW2, and was also attempting to police the World and prevent post WW2 communist infiltration of many Far Easten countries ( notably Malaysia ).  Also, no-one could have then predicted the violence that would erupt in India between its Muslim and non Muslim races.  All of these things contributed to the horrors that ensued at the time ( and long afterwards) of India's independence. As a convert to Islam I have long studied the role of the UK in both the establishment and the disolution of Empire, and whilst many mistakes were made, I take the view that any country ever to have been a part of the British Empire has indeed been a country blessed.
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 16:21
Originally posted by Peteratwar

Given that an Empire exists, how would you dispose of it ?

Of course, it all depends what my role and interest is, and whether or not I am  a British citizen or a member of the population of a country belonging to the Empire.

Having said the above, it is possible that either person could reasonably arrange the withdrawal of a country from the Empire, and, oddly enough, the manner in which this happened on dozens of occassions seems to be the best. To quote (and I paraphrase just a tad or two ! ) the greatly unlamented Adolf Hitler, who much admired Britain and its Empire, and who said - " Donner und Blitzen, how on Earth do the British manage to administer so well with a total force of less than 10,000, a country with the many hundreds of millions that populated India !"  It is simple - we recruited for our local army/police force/civil servants etc.etc.etc. thousands of Indians who benefitted greatly from the wages and the training given. When you have a workable and efficient infrastructure installed, it is then gradually possible to slowly divest oneself of the direct responsibilties of governing and administering a country.  One then introduces, as we British did, the more relaxed alternative of being a part of a Commonwealth of Nations instead, plus a system of preferences that the Empire and its erstwhile participants benefit from in terms of trade and defence agreements etc.etc.etc. and then everybody is happy !  It all seems horribly simple, does it not ? but then the best of plans are frequently just that !!
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 16:38
Probably not disagreeing with you in essence.

But I would be interested to hear from the ranting critics as to how they would have done it.

If they say well it shouldn't have happened that is merely dodging the issue. Empires have been around for millenia in one way or another
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 16:39
I hope everyone here in this forum sees that there is no shortage of imperial apologists here who stoop so low to justify and even glorify incredible atrocities. The only difference between these people and holocaust denying neo-nazis is that the nazis lost the world wars. Because of people like this, Western public can still be shepherded into supporting warmongers in their imperialist adventures in the Middle East. Because of people like this, it is possible for Israel to oppress the Palestinians, Americans to massacre Iraqis and Afghans. While their more liberal comrades say that they are enlightened, and act as if imperialism and imperial apologists no longer exist. When someone speaks out them, these imperialists, and lite-imperialists are quick to unite and present a common front. 

For the non-Western observer, the situation in the world is clear. Western Imperialism has to be defeated in the world. After their back is broken, they can masturbate as much as they like about their imperial past, and we would just laugh at them. But as long as they are killing Iraqis and Afghans their poisonous propaganda must be dealt with. 
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 16:40
Must have realised he was fulminating again but I finished too quickly!!!
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 01:06

because they feel threatened that their heritage is under attack, which is not true, heritage is one thing, you can be proud of being English

Well now, that's fine if you're English. England was around and has its own history, indepedant of the Empire. Not all of the former colonies have a history outside of the Empire, eg Canada, Australia, New Zealand. There were of course native civilizations in these places previously, which some feel a great deal of kinship with and sorrow for. But the societies in those countries today have no history outside the empire.

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

I hope everyone here in this forum sees that there is no shortage of imperial apologists here who stoop so low to justify and even glorify incredible atrocities.

So you're saying it's wrong to celebrate the Ottomans? Wink

I'll keep that in mind!

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 10:58
Trouble with Beylerbeyi his mindset and thinking seem to be 30-40 years behind the times. He also seems blind to the realities of what is really going on in the world. Seems to adopt Mugabe's theme of blaming everyone else except himself for the mess.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 14:09
So you're saying it's wrong to celebrate the Ottomans? Wink

I'll keep that in mind!

Bah, smarter people than you have tried that line in the past. By all means, remind this to me if I justify Turkish invasion of Mexico with tales of Ottoman benevolence. If you can't do that you are just a slimy liar, dropping allegations like this.

Trouble with Beylerbeyi his mindset and thinking seem to be 30-40 years behind the times. He also seems blind to the realities of what is really going on in the world. Seems to adopt Mugabe's theme of blaming everyone else except himself for the mess.

This is exactly what I am talking about. It is no coincidence that the greatest fans of the British Empire are the ones who think the US is saving the world today. 

Let's see what's going on in the world, shall we? Americans in Iraq killing hundreds of thousands, raping and pillaging and stealing the oil. Americans in Afghanistan and Pakistan, killing thousands, raping and pillaging. American weapons and American supported Apartheid regime in Palestine killing thousands. Americans threatening Iran for what? Americans threatening Cuba. Americans raping Africa forcing unfavourable trade agreements on them...

Problems caused by Mugabes of the world are nothing next to the problems caused by your Dubya. 

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 14:43

Bah, smarter people than you have tried that line in the past. By all means, remind this to me if I justify Turkish invasion of Mexico with tales of Ottoman benevolence. If you can't do that you are just a slimy liar, dropping allegations like this.

Then, by your own standards, you have named yourself a slimy liar (and a hypocrite). See:

Originally posted by Edgewaters

A knee-jerk response. I'm not 'siding' with anyone. You just presume I am because my views on the events that happened don't agree with your imperialist Soviet revisionism. I haven't made any moral/ethical judgement about decolonization or the lack thereof.

You have obviously sided with the imperialist guy. He wrote that Britain had the intention to let go of the colonies (your words) and decolonisation was bad for the subject peoples ... that's bloody well siding with the imperialists, typical behaviour of those who used to be called social-fascist in the past.

You couldn't actually point out where I said British imperialism was a good thing, you could only froth about "social-fascists". Intuition is no substitute for empirical facts, and petty equivocations do not convince the intelligent no matter how skilled at tergiversation you may be.  

If you can't apply the same standards you judge others with to yourself, then don't expect anyone with a brain to buy what you're peddling. I would be most surprised if anyone came to your defence here.

It is no coincidence that the greatest fans of the British Empire are the ones who think the US is saving the world today.

No, it is not coincidence at all. It is an imagination brought to us by the magic of pseudocommunist intuition.

Edited by edgewaters - 18-Feb-2009 at 14:56
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 14:52

I hope everyone here in this forum sees that there is no shortage of imperial apologists here who stoop so low to justify and even glorify incredible atrocities. The only difference between these people and holocaust denying neo-nazis is that the nazis lost the world wars. Because of people like this, Western public can still be shepherded into supporting warmongers in their imperialist adventures in the Middle East. Because of people like this, it is possible for Israel to oppress the Palestinians, Americans to massacre Iraqis and Afghans. While their more liberal comrades say that they are enlightened, and act as if imperialism and imperial apologists no longer exist. When someone speaks out them, these imperialists, and lite-imperialists are quick to unite and present a common front.

You are right, but it doesn't really change anything. The Afghans, Iraqis or Palestinians have not presented any tempting alternatives to Western civilization. For a Westerner, the model of civilization they present is one of religious fanaticism, repressive traditions, totalitarianism and political corruption. I believe I speak for many Westerners when I say that regardless of ethics I do not wish to see these models of civilization expand their influence, on the contrary I'd have rather have them compromised as much as possible. Is it morally right or wrong for Westerners to do so? I don't know, but I believe the question is irrelevant as most Westerners value their civilization enough to defend and expand it at all costs.

For the non-Western observer, the situation in the world is clear. Western Imperialism has to be defeated in the world.

Some would benefit, some would suffer and some would certainly fill the gap. Objectively speaking it shouldn't matter whether the imperialists are Western or not.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:00
Just a couple of comments:

First, Western imperialism was dying in the 1930s, and was dead by the 1960s, even if everyone in the West didn't see it yet.

Second, Dubya was not edgewaters' Dubya.  Edgewaters is Canadian; Dubya is from....Texas.  Wink

Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:02
Originally posted by Reginmund

I don't know, but I believe the question is irrelevant as most Westerners value their civilization enough to defend and expand it at all costs.

I don't care to expand it, those who call for us to do so just want us to march to Dieppe and Gallipolli all over again. No thanks.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:06
Expansion can take many forms, it doesn't have to be done by force. Throughout history you will find examples of less developed civilizations assimilating influences from more advanced ones without the need for the latter to conquer the former.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:12

Originally posted by Reginmund

Expansion can take many forms, it doesn't have to be done by force. Throughout history you will find examples of less developed civilizations assimilating influences from more advanced ones without the need for the latter to conquer the former.

If someone wants to emulate us, that's their business. I have no interest in foisting anything upon any other culture by any means.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>