Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical games
    Posted: 15-Jan-2009 at 21:38
What are your favourites?

For me the original Medieval Total War comes top. Followed closely by Rome Total War. I always loved the idea of controlling armies like an ancient general, and always loved putting small forces in behind enemy lines, to target a unit and run away when we've hit them hard with out cavalry - a sort of ancient form of guerrila warfare! Europa Universalis II was fantastic too, spent hours fiddling with the most rudimentary elements of the game, probably why it was so much fun.

What about you? Any reccomendations?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2009 at 22:01
Medieval TW with some heavy modification - the DLV mod.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2009 at 23:41
Whats that?
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 00:07
I loved Age of Empires II, then i saw was very simple; Medieval Total War plus Shogun Total War wich i enjoyed very much, building cities games like "Emperor" and "Zeus", the old Civilization II, and in WWII: Call of Duty and Company of Heroes.
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 01:53
I play the original Medieval Total War to this day.
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 09:53
Software games are great, but I never had as much fun playing an historical game as in web-fora based role-playing games. I guess the human factor counts for a lot here.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 20:22

Colonization - the new one and the old one!

AoE II and Patrizier, a German game about the Hanseatic League.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 21:07
Ah, about Hanseatic League, Patrician III was very funny, i built my commercial empire with Stocolm exporting tools xd
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2009 at 22:05
Patrician is exceptionally hard and I wouldn't touch it again with a phalangists' pike (a more appropriate metaphor for this forum!) without some serious understanding of the works of economics under my belt. I frankly felt that it's a little too difficult for most casual gamers to handle.

I personally found the historical inaccuracies in Rome total war a bit to ridiculous; so much so, in fact, that to me it didn't really feel like I was playing a game about ancient Rome, but an Asterix RTS. As a result, I got Rome total realism, which is a mod which makes things much, much better, and Greek and Latin voice commands!

Cossacks, back to war, is also a great game - it's a really, really simple RTS based on the 16-17th centuries in Europe, and it's great just because of its sheer amount of units. One has to be incredibly tactical, games take absolutely ages (my friend and I were playing as Austria/Hapsburgs and Venice versus the Ottomans and it took the best part of a day (that's how much of a life I have LOL!!!), and the great thing is that if you lose an army, you can't build another one - you have to think about your movements very carefully!

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 16-Jan-2009 at 22:05
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 02:55
I play Europa Barbarorum all the time. If you like RTW give it a go. Far and away it is the best RTW total conversion mod. It's a completely new experience. It's a much better, far more rewarding (albiet slower paced, 4 turns/year) game. It has hundreds of units, better AI, more... uh, stuff to do, and it's REALLY accurate historically speaking. RTR is also good, and the combat system is just as good as EB if not better. RTR doesn't give you much to do on the campaign map tho. EB's regional recruitment system is really cool.

Stainless Steel for MII is my default mod for whenever I want to play that game. Sicilian Vespers would be my honorable mention.

Edited by nova roma - 17-Jan-2009 at 03:06
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 03:10
I've seen several people mention that the Europa Universalis series is fun. I've never played it; could someone please give me a rundown on why they feel it is so great? What does it have that other games don't.

-Akolouthos
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 04:48
Yeah same here I have played HOI but I cannot find II anywhere, isn't there a 3rd coming out?

What is Universallis like?
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 05:42
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

Patrician is exceptionally hard and I wouldn't touch it again with a phalangists' pike (a more appropriate metaphor for this forum!) without some serious understanding of the works of economics under my belt. I frankly felt that it's a little too difficult for most casual gamers to handle.

I became Olderman of the league. Now it up to you to think about abilities and cleverness of different members.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 08:02

I still think that there should be another asian based "total war", preferably China, with its numerous ancient kingdoms, maybe even south asia, bringing India and the surrounding islands into the fold. An Asian campaign would definately have endless possibilties.

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 08:44
AoE2 and AoE3
Anfører
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 09:03
As far as I am concerned AoE II was the best for sheer enjoyment of gameplay. When you go online and play multiplayer, it only gets even better. I miss that game a great deal - AoE III just didn't have the same superb gameplay.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 13:33
Originally posted by Akolouthos

I've seen several people mention that the Europa Universalis series is fun. I've never played it; could someone please give me a rundown on why they feel it is so great? What does it have that other games don't.

-Akolouthos

Its because it is a real strategy game, and ludicrously accurate. In fact, you get nice little tidbits of a countries history just by playing it.

You don't control the armies, but by fiddling with your domestic policy you can make it more efficient, cheaper, or more effective. Everything is decided by the policy decisions you make, such as how many merchants or colonists you can produce. You can play as an enlightened ruler (Which I have done with Britain) or as a counter-reformation despot (Which is what I invariably end up with when I play France. The detail is what makes the game so great. It takes a few games to really understand it, and it takes a hellofa lot of time to play, but it is a fantastic game.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 14:46
I dislike most video/PC games because I like a game to be educational - which usually means history.

Although I played the AoE games when younger, I could not got back to them. I've played very few games. I am fussy too ;)

The Total War series has been my favourite and although I've played MTW: Viking Invasion (and loved it!) I came across the series when Rome Total War was released (2004) and fell in love with it. I was disappointed with Medieval 2 Total War which just seemed like a heavier, more cumbersome and less cohesive form of RTW.

Europa Barbarorum is a well known mod for historical accuracy, although I prefer small-campaign mods that focus on a specific part of the world.

Viking Invasion II (a mod for RTW- Barbarian Invasion) was a main feature in this month's PCGamer (UK) (Downloader section) and it is extremely good. It brings the original MTW:VI to the updated engine. It's been nominated favourite mod of 2008 by the biggest TW community online. Link to official page: http://www.topnotchmods.net/mods/vi2

Medieval 2 has some promising mods - although it has yet to rival the RTW mods imho - included among these are Wrath of the Norsemen and The Last Kingdom which are also both Viking-era mods.

I'm not a big fan of anything from the gunpowder age onwards...

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 15:16
Could someone explain how these mod things work? I'm very confused.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2009 at 15:30
A mod is a modification of a commercial game by an individual or team. They vary in scope, from enhancement mods (maybe making things a little more historically accurate, for example) to full conversions whereby the whole world is changed from one period to another.
Mods can take literally thousands of hours to create, depending on the game engine. Modders alter the softcoding of a game to adapt gameplay, visuals, audio and text and transform the player's experience into something quite different to the vanilla (original) game.
I am not 100% sure about what you mean about how they work, but in the case of nost it is something like this: you install the mod like any other  game. After installation you find a new icon on your laptop. Generally mods sit in their own folder under the game file. In the case of the mods mentioned above, they do not interfere with the original game files so it's like having two games running of the same engine (the same .exe file).
Is this clearer?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>