Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Origin of the Sandwich?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Origin of the Sandwich?
    Posted: 12-Jan-2009 at 20:27
Where, how, why, and what did it start out as? I've heard about the whole Earl of Sandwich thing but I find it hard to believe that in all the years of human existance it wasn't invented earlier

Please keep the jokes, spam, and trolling to minimum

Discuss! Smile  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2009 at 21:01
Moved to Questions and Answers
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2009 at 11:43

.....i live in the area, and the reasoning goes that of course, there must have been many people who decided to put some sort of filling between two hunks/slices of bread, but the story is that the Earl decided to ..er...formalise the process, and hence since, people regarded having a filled two pieces of bread as having a 'sandwich'.....!!!

..nearby, there is also a village called 'Ham'.....and a road sign in the area points to 'Ham' and underneath the sign points to 'Sandwich'...its a small joke but makes people chuckle!!!Embarrassed....

Ham Sandwich

..all the best...AoO..

Edited by Act of Oblivion - 02-Feb-2009 at 11:45
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2009 at 20:51
Rye isn't far away eithe. Surely with a little ingenuity that sign could be modified to be a ham sandwich in rye. That would surely be a good deal.

Boom, boom!

Anyone not getting the references should consult an atlas quickly. Anyone thinking it is funny should probably consult a doctor quickly.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2009 at 21:33
Is there a nearby English town named Corned Beef?  Embarrassed

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 02-Feb-2009 at 21:34
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 10:39
Sadly no. Just several varieties of Ham (including Horsham, which soounds a bit tough).
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 11:18
There has to be a Leg of Lamb at least!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2012 at 09:30
Sandwiches were supposedly invented by the Earl of Sandwich during the 18th century. He loved gambling and was too busy playing cards to take meal breaks. Instead, he ordered his servants to bring him meat between two slices of bread
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2012 at 19:17
Of course, bread and cheese was eaten by workers centuries before the Earl of Sandwich. He simply made it acceptable for the upper classes
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2012 at 11:10
Does the Hamburger count as a sandwich? Minced beef and bread was eaten in Germany since the Middle Ages
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2012 at 11:16
Macedonian origins got hamburger in Ancient times!Than USA stole their rights&name Hamburg.LOL
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2012 at 11:41
It's generally credited to the Earl of Sandwich, and no other claimant has emerged by name. In the long run, I doubt that it matters who or how it originated.  It's one of those things that was bound to happen sooner or later.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2012 at 08:22
Originally posted by medenaywe

Macedonian origins got hamburger in Ancient times!Than USA stole their rights&name Hamburg.LOL

Really? I know the Romans had a snack similar to a hamburger: a piece of cooked meat with bread
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2012 at 09:43
It goes on Discovery&National.First sandwich with beef meatball.Meatballs are famous in Balkan kitchen still
 Post Reply Post Reply