Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alexander, hannibal, and attlila

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alexander, hannibal, and attlila
    Posted: 26-Dec-2008 at 20:01

It seems that all three went down the same path defeated what was the most powerful empire of their time did not really establish their own empire for long and died shortly after.

What were the commanlites between them and the environment they lived in to cause this

Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2008 at 12:12
Alexander was not really "defeated" in the sense of military defeat on the battlefield. Rather, his troops refused to go into India so he was forced to turn back to Babylon, where he rather carelessly died. The Alexandrian Empire broke apart due to: sheer size + no heir (son still not born), so his generals divided up the empire amongs themselves.

Hannibal was a different story altogether. He was defeated by a combination of factors. One was his inability to capitalise on the defeat of the Romans at Cannae and deliver a decisive blow to Rome. More important perhaps was political manouevering by his enemies in Carthage preventing reinforcements from reaching him, as well as the difficulty of getting the reinforcements there either by way of the Alps or the Mediterranean. Hannibal was left wondering around southern Italy with no clear direction for years. Also, Roman genius in attacking Carthage in Spain while Hannibal was tied up in southern Italy, and forcing his retreat back to Carthage to defend the capital.

As for the Huns, the problem was they lacked the political structure to survive after the death of Attila. One thing to note: Attila's campaign was driven by the quest for tribute and plunder rather than conquest. The Huns never did really developed their Empire into some cohesive units that might have survived the death of Attila. The Huns were really probably not one single group of people but rather a confederacy of several nomadic steppe and forest tribes. When Attila died, they went their own way, and was assimilated into other groups.

Edited by Voskhod - 27-Dec-2008 at 12:13
"All the true heroes of history will be forgotten and all the villains will be remembered as heroes."
- Leo Tolstoy
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 10:09

Originally posted by Voskhod

where he rather carelessly died.

all three rather casrlessly died

The Alexandrian Empire broke apart due to: sheer size + no heir (son still not born),

The size of the area Alexander took under his control briefly was a little smaller than Persian empire he defeated. The first Persian empire lasted a couple of hundred years, so size probably was not the factor, although I have heard this point of view on some TV show/movie before

Also many kings did not have a heir. Darius III the king that was defeated by Alexander was not a direct heir of the previous king

Hannibal was a different story altogether. He was defeated by a combination of factors. One was his inability to capitalise on the defeat of the Romans

Yes all three defeated the most powerful empire of their time but were not able to create a lasting outcome as the result. That was the whole point

As for the Huns, the problem was they lacked the political structure to survive after the death of Attila.

Yes similar to Alexander. This is probably what you meant when you said "no heir"

Attila's campaign was driven by the quest for tribute and plunder rather than conquest.

All three group were after the gold. They did not go after the richest entity of their time coincidentally.

Alexander’s troops did not want to go to India for the same reason Persians before them did not. Most of the gold in the world at that time was in the Persian treasury

The Huns never did really developed their Empire into some cohesive units that might have survived the death of Attila.

dido with Alexander’s situation

The Huns were really probably not one single group of people but rather a confederacy of several nomadic steppe and forest tribes. When Attila died, they went their own way, and was assimilated into other groups.

Same with Greeks they were not a single group let alone Macedonians and all people that were added to them along the way looking for the riches of the Persian empire

I think you actually pointed out to many similarities without realizing it

Voskhod View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voskhod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2008 at 13:03
Originally posted by Miller

all three rather casrlessly died

Attila did die suddenly. Hannibal though lived on for many years after his defeat at Zama. He became suffet of Carthage before being driven by combination Roman pressure + political game into exile where he eventually ended up working for the Seleucids and commiting suicide in Anatolia. 

Yes all three defeated the most powerful empire of their time but were not able to create a lasting outcome as the result. That was the whole point

Correct, but the circumstances of the "defeat", and the consequences, were different. With Alexander, Persia was defeated entirely. Not so in the case of Attila and Hannibal.

Yes similar to Alexander. This is probably what you meant when you said "no heir"

You have a good point there. Attila did have an heir though. Several, actually, who fought a war of succession after Attila's death and contributed to the Hun break up. In both cases, the political structure needed to administer the empire was not developed in time.

All three group were after the gold. They did not go after the richest entity of their time coincidentally.

The Roman Republic of Hannibal's time wasn't exactly wealthy. True, getting rich quick was part of the motive (as always in war), although the nature of Attila's campaigns is markedly different from, say, Alexander. The primary goal wasn't subjugation or incorporation of the defeated peoples, but rather tribute. The Huns weren't going for a territorial empire but rather a hegemonic one.

Same with Greeks they were not a single group let alone Macedonians and all people that were added to them along the way looking for the riches of the Persian empire

True, and the same can be said of the Carthaginian Empire, too. However, the main players of the Alexandrian war of succession were Greek or Macedonian. The rulers of the post-Alexander Hellenistic states (with few, isolated exceptions) were Greek or Macedonian.
"All the true heroes of history will be forgotten and all the villains will be remembered as heroes."
- Leo Tolstoy
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 18:32

However, the main players of the Alexandrian war of succession were Greek or Macedonian. The rulers of the post-Alexander Hellenistic states (with few, isolated exceptions) were Greek or Macedonian.

Simply Greeks from Macedonia not "or"...I don't think there were any other non-Macedonian Greeks ruling the Kindoms.

In Egypt the rulers were Greek, with one or two exceptions were non-royal/non-Greek marriages are suspected.

http://genealogy.about.com/library/family_trees/bl_cleopatra.htm

Unlike Egypt though, the rulers of Bactria could be Indo-Greek.

Edited by Flipper - 29-Dec-2008 at 18:40

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2008 at 23:18

Correct, but the circumstances of the "defeat", and the consequences, were different. With Alexander, Persia was defeated entirely. Not so in the case of Attila and Hannibal.

True, but in every instance it seems that loser survived and the winner disappeared in the historical sense

Persian/Iranian Empires did continue after Alexander although with different characteristics and height whereas Macedonians influenced the Romans a little and themselves somewhat disappeared from history

Similarly Roman Empire did continue but Huns moved to the background and Cartage did not come back as it was

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2009 at 04:07
Attila's story is indeed very tragic, yet natural. He had plenty of sons, yet, he didnt name a successor, which he no doubt, should've already done, considering his age. Some people consider this fact, when they blame him for the ultimate fall of the Hun Empire. Also, in my opinion, the Battle of the Chalon/Catalonian Fields should have never been faught. I would've retreated from the region, with all of the "booty", appeasing the troops, and faced Aetius and his allies later, when i was strong.

Edited by Penelope - 01-Jan-2009 at 04:09
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Challenger2 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 11:32

As far as Hannibal goes Rome was in no way the most powerful empire at that time. Rome wasn't even an empire as such, more a hegemon. The Rome-Carthage 'spat' was between two relatively equal hegemonies struggling to establish a local supremacy. Much like Athens and Sparta earlier.

Edited by Challenger2 - 02-Jan-2009 at 11:33
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2009 at 16:19
Originally posted by Challenger2

As far as Hannibal goes Rome was in no way the most powerful empire at that time. Rome wasn't even an empire as such, more a hegemon. The Rome-Carthage 'spat' was between two relatively equal hegemonies struggling to establish a local supremacy. Much like Athens and Sparta earlier.

During the First Punic War, perhaps. I think by the second we could say that Rome was beginning to become something more than a regional hegemon. That said, you are correct; it would be extremely difficult to make a case that they were the "most powerful" empire in the Mediterranean at the time. That took place gradually over the course of the second century B.C., and largely as a result -- at least initially -- of events that took place during the course of the Second Punic War.

-Akolouthos
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2009 at 01:37
Originally posted by Penelope

Attila's story is indeed very tragic, yet natural. He had plenty of sons, yet, he didnt name a successor, which he no doubt, should've already done, considering his age. Some people consider this fact, when they blame him for the ultimate fall of the Hun Empire. Also, in my opinion, the Battle of the Chalon/Catalonian Fields should have never been faught. I would've retreated from the region, with all of the "booty", appeasing the troops, and faced Aetius and his allies later, when i was strong.

Winning battles was what these guys did best. At that point he was most probably addicted the rush of winning battles and could not stop. They all could win tactically better than anyone else what lacked was what to do after winning the battle and the strategy

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2009 at 04:59
I think Penelope was stating what a smarter option would have been for Attila, rather than facing Aetius at Chalons. No doubt, being a semi-nomadic warlord that he enjoyed the thrill of battle, but he made a number of strategic and diplomatic mistakes that eventually led to the miscalculated loss at Chalons. I disagree that Attila was 'tactically better' than Aetius as well.

Originally posted by Challenger

Certainly. I'd be willing to say that, especially prior to the Second Punic War, the Seleucids may the dominant power in the Mediterranean. Though whilst Rome held nothing like the hegemony of Augustan Rome or the like, it was still a major player in the Mediterranean arena. I think it was a bit more than a 'spat' for local supremacy - these were definitely the two foremost powers in the Western Mediterranean.

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 09:07

Neither Persians at the time of Alexander nor Romans at the time of Hannibal or Attila were at the peak of their power. Regardless for them to be defeated by a warrior type was against the odds

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 10:54
Yes - we don't deny that it was impressive that Alexander defeated the Persians, Hannibal defeated the Romans (until Zama) and Attila defeated the Romans (until Chalons). What do you mean by a warrior type? I'm not sure that is the best way to describe Alexander and Hannibal...maybe Attila.
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 16:25

Akolouthos, Knights, as I see it Rome has had such a great impact on Western civilization we tend to get a bit myopic about things Roman. Rome was certainly no empire as you’ve both agreed, and was barely in control of Italy by the time of the Hannibalic war. The Republic’s ‘expansion’ had only just reached the Apennines and Rome had built only recently two colonies in the Po valley to control access to the South by the Boii and Insubres after Telamon. In the South many of the tribes were restive, and some had defected already once before, during Pyrrhus’ war. Despite Polybius’ catalogue of Rome’s huge reserves of manpower and resources, I contend Carthage was as powerful, if not more so in 218 BCE. However, I digress.

Hannibal was never a conqueror in the same vein as Attila or Alexander, so really shouldn’t form part of the question. Alexander’s empire lived on after his death in 323 BCE for a number of years under Antipater and Perdicas, and only started to fragment when Antipater died in 319 leaving no obvious successor. The civilized nature of Alexander’s Empire meant that the rule of law generally prevailed; local government went on whoever was in charge. Alexander’s empire therefore only split into large constituent parts focused on the power bases of his Generals.

Attila’s empire, on the other hand, was composed of subject tribal confederations loyal to their local chieftains who were in turn loyal to Atilla as the font of gifts and honours. So when he died his empire was more predisposed to fracture and the subject peoples rebelled against the Hunnic ruling elite and destroyed all vestiges of their empire.      

Edited by Challenger2 - 04-Jan-2009 at 16:33
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2009 at 22:56

Akolouthos, Knights, as I see it Rome has had such a great impact on Western civilization we tend to get a bit myopic about things Roman. Rome was certainly no empire as you’ve both agreed, and was barely in control of Italy by the time of the Hannibalic war. The Republic’s ‘expansion’ had only just reached the Apennines and Rome had built only recently two colonies in the Po valley to control access to the South by the Boii and Insubres after Telamon. In the South many of the tribes were restive, and some had defected already once before, during Pyrrhus’ war. Despite Polybius’ catalogue of Rome’s huge reserves of manpower and resources, I contend Carthage was as powerful, if not more so in 218 BCE. However, I digress.

Good points - I agree that Rome was no powerhouse at 218 BC, especially in terms of its extent. Though, I think the Roman approach to politics and warfare gave the Republic a cohesion and adaptability which the Carthaginians lacked, thus putting them in a better position to defeat the arguably more powerful Carthage. Carthage certainly lacked this cohesion within its Empire, particularly in the lead up to the Second Punic War with political and personal rifts between the Barcids, Gisgo, Hanno, Hasdrubal the Fair and a lot of its manpower (mercenaries) providers. The Mercenary War had quite a hefty impact both politically and militarily. I know we (especially myself) are digressing a lot here, but I'm enjoying it Smile

Hannibal was never a conqueror in the same vein as Attila or Alexander, so really shouldn’t form part of the question. Alexander’s empire lived on after his death in 323 BCE for a number of years under Antipater and Perdicas, and only started to fragment when Antipater died in 319 leaving no obvious successor. The civilized nature of Alexander’s Empire meant that the rule of law generally prevailed; local government went on whoever was in charge. Alexander’s empire therefore only split into large constituent parts focused on the power bases of his Generals.

Attila’s empire, on the other hand, was composed of subject tribal confederations loyal to their local chieftains who were in turn loyal to Atilla as the font of gifts and honours. So when he died his empire was more predisposed to fracture and the subject peoples rebelled against the Hunnic ruling elite and destroyed all vestiges of their empire.     

Exactly - that is one huge distinction that has to be made in this thread. Hannibal never really 'conquered' anything in Italy. Some might argue "Oh well he exercised full control over some areas in Southern Italy, qualifying him as a conqueror". He did conquer a good deal of Spain to increase the Barcid realm, but Italy is a slightly more complex matter. His tale is different from Attila's and Alexander's in this sense, as you pointed out; he did not undergo a series of conquests into the land of his foe either to be defeated in the short or medium term. Did Attila retain any of his conquests into Eastern Gaul or the Balkans, after being defeated at Chalons/at his death? I think he must have nominally retained control over a portion simply due to the fact that Rome couldn't have had time to 'regain' some territories/cities.

Regards,

- Knights -
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2009 at 03:21
Originally posted by Knights

What do you mean by a warrior type? I'm not sure that is the best way to describe Alexander and Hannibal...maybe Attila.

A person whose entire life was dedicated to fighting battles. Regardless I don’t think labels are important. Depending on what people consider their own background to be they will look at these guys as heroes or villains, not really the point

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2009 at 03:26
Charidemus View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Charidemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2009 at 04:51
i'm not quite sure that the Huns really had an empire. it was more of a large pillaging campaign bound together by many tribal alliances, led by a powerful warlord, that is, Attila.
Like the rest of the barbarians, they sweeped into europe looking for easy-pickings - gold,
just as was recently stated.
Just like most nomadic barbarians, the Huns didn't build and settle, therefore they cannot be expected to behave like a civilization. With this in mind, the Huns didnt really forge and empire and govern it. they simply conquered and then moved on, carrying what exploits they gained with them.
If he did create and govern an empire, it would only be temporary, and, like challenger2 said,  upon his death it would fall apart as the tribes separated. They didnt control a stable empire, nor did the mongols.
It wasn't the way the Huns went about it. They weren't like the city-dwelling civilizations surrounding the huns. However, i suppose given time, they may have learnt to settle down, discarding their old nomadic ways and ruling an empire like the Mongol Kublai Khan did.
''My Patience it now at an end'' Adolf hitler
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2009 at 17:02

The civilized nature of Alexander’s Empire meant that the rule of law generally prevailed; local government went on whoever was in charge. Alexander’s empire therefore only split into large constituent parts focused on the power bases of his Generals.

Are you sure you are not describing the same thing twice and just putting a positive spin on one group by adding the word "civilized" in there

Some of your second phrase could very well be used to describe how Parthians come into power

Certainly not. The difference between  Asia Minor/Persia/Bactria, etc was the legacy of city and town dwellers and an established infrastructure and local government dating back to the Achaemenids and beyond. North of the Black sea and East of the Weser, we don't know of any such legacy. Here we have a more fluid culture of fluctuating tribal confederacies ruled by the occasional 'overlord'.
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2009 at 17:04
Originally posted by Knights

I know we (especially myself) are digressing a lot here, but I'm enjoying it Smile

Me too. Evil aren't we? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>