Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Decline of Ottoman Military Power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decline of Ottoman Military Power
    Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 15:21

As the discussion came up in the Templar thread http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=175& PN=1 - I wanted to throw some questions out here:

When did the military power of the Ottomans begin to decline?

What were the causes of their decline?

When did the Ottomans cease to be a threat to western Europe?

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 14:38

In the beginning of the 17th century. But they still didn't decline too much for a long time.

Throughout 17th and most of 18th century, they didn't keep up with the technological developments in Europe, I think that was the greatest cause. Their military systems and their elite units got corrupted too.

In the 18th century, I guess...

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 21:10

Originally posted by vagabond

During the 16th century, which was also, paradoxically, the time of their military height.

Early signs of problems included Sulleyman's failure to take a poorly-fortified Vienna in 1529, as well as his failure to engage Charles V's field army in 1532 (and his Akincis cavalry were massacered in the Vienna Woods by Austrian troops).   These were considerable setbacks, after the triumph over the Hungarians at Mohacs in 1526.

The next big problem was Sulleyman's failure to take Malta in 1565. 

The biggest blow, however, came after Sulleyman's death, when the Turkish Navy was wiped out at Lepanto, in 1571.  More than any other single action, this battle broke the myth of Ottoman invinciblity for good.  Much has been made over the fact that the Turks were able to get another fleet in action the following year, but it was built of green wood, and the crews were inexperienced (John F. Guilmartin, author of the classic Gunpowder and Galleys, pointed out that the Ottomans never fully recovered from the loss of skilled manpower--captains, pilots, sailors, free oarsmen, naval janissaries, etc.--suffered at Lepanto).  During the following campaigning season, Ulich Ali was markedly reluctant to engage even the reduced Holy League Fleet, for he knew that the quality of his ships and men was lower at that point.

IMO it was primarily a matter of being spread too thin, and having to fight on several fronts (against the Hapsburgs in the West; against the Spanish, Venetians, Knights of Malta, and Uskoks at sea, and against the Persians in the East).  The Spanish had similar problems during the same century--they had to maintain their valuable overseas possessions in the New World and the Pacific against incursions by the Portuguese, the English, the Dutch, and others; and they had to deal with the Moors, the Ottomans, and the Dutch and English in the Atlantic, the Mediterranean, and the Northern Europe.  Being a superpower can be a bitch (as we all know by now).

18th century.

Peace,

David

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 05:01

The height of the tensions between the Ottomans and the Safavids was in the early 16th to mid 18th centuries. Only after the fall of Nader Shah could the Ottoman's no longer worry about their eastern fronts as much (as well as the fall of the Safavid dynasty).

Dari is a pimp master
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 11:50

The first signs of decline of Ottoman empire started after Mehmed-pasha Sokollu's death in 1579. That continued untill Mehmed pasha Koprullu became grand vizier in 1656, who after seven decades again increased stability in the empire.....

But the real decline came after 1683 and that went worser in the 18th century, where Ottoman empire stopped to be one of major powers. In the 19th centuryit became a "sick man on bosphorus"...

Why it declined, answer is: Jealosy, corruption, bribery, intrigue, sexualism, favouritism and etc...

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 09:32

There were about 100.000 akincis in Ottoman Army.They were one of the best soldiers.

But while going on a siege -i do not remember its name- while their taxes were being taken,they have been waited on a bridge and Austrian artillery destroyed the bridge.A big amount of them were killed.

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 10:23

100,000? Definitially not! The numbers must have varied between 10,000 and 40,000.

The event you described happened in 1595 when the Wallachians (not Austrians) opened fire to the bridge from which the Ottoman Aknc raiders were withdrawing. This event signalled the end of the Aknc unit in the Ottoman army but the Delils and Crimean Tatars were continued to be used with the same purpose.

Steppes History Forum
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 12:54

Hehehe...

I took the number of Akincis in the book named "the Golden History of Turks"

You read it

Btw that unit you wrote "delil",wasn't it deli?Or was it a different unit?

maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 22:50
late 1600s when poland kicked their asses at vienna
"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2004 at 10:27
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Hehehe...

I took the number of Akincis in the book named "the Golden History of Turks"

You read it

Ah, that hilarious book!! It says the Ottomans lost only 156 soldiers at Mohacz!  

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Btw that unit you wrote "delil",wasn't it deli?Or was it a different unit?

It's original form was Delil, meaning "One who shows the way" (Yolgsteren); today this word is still used for "Evidence".

However, the common folk prefered to call them Deli meaning "Mad" because of their frightening looks and this useage was accepted in time.

Steppes History Forum
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 10:29

Ah, that hilarious book!! It says the Ottomans lost only 156 soldiers at Mohacz!

I thought and decided to ask;can't it be?

Mohacz was a short battle and the main event was the death of Hungarian Knights' because of the fire of Ottoman Cannons.After,they started to run and lots of them died in swamps as you know.

They could not make a big assault.

Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 01:08

well whenEVER the decline, in the end, they went out ugly. Massacred over 1.5 million greeks armenians and assyrians. Total genocide of these people out of Asia Minor. ANd during there reighn, it wasnt a good one. Forced conversions on children to be taken to serve in there jannisary. ANd in Cyprus now. Why should there be equal govwernment between the greeks and turks when the greeks outnumber them 4 to 1?

Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 16:48
I sense a gathering storm....
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 02:01

well whenEVER the decline, in the end, they went out ugly. Massacred over 1.5 million greeks armenians and assyrians. Total genocide of these people out of Asia Minor. ANd during there reighn, it wasnt a good one. Forced conversions on children to be taken to serve in there jannisary. ANd in Cyprus now. Why should there be equal govwernment between the greeks and turks when the greeks outnumber them 4 to 1?

Please delete this message;we are talking about the decline of Ottoman Militray power.ChristCrusader wants to create a storm;but we will not be in that storm.

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 15:50
Well sorry man I guess if I was in your position  I would have no way to explain that either.
-Jc
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 16:25
I agree with Maersk...

When the Polish were able to defeat the Turks it marked the end of any increase in power, but they did not decrease for a while.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 04:09

Battle Of Zenta was a disaster for Ottoman Military.(1697)

Sultan II.Mustafa attacks on Austrians two times before the battle.At the thirth the battle happens.Ottoman Forces were in defence first,but when Austrians fired their artillery instead of attacking to Ottomans the Ottoman soldiers began to retreat.But Austrians had had closed the escape routes.There was a big massacre....

After the Battle Otoomans lost 30.000 men while Ausrians lost only 500 men.

Also Ottoman supplies and the signet of the grand vizier took by Austrians.They took all the battle-tents includes the sultan's tent.

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 15:51
Good, well thats what happens when you attack other nations. They get pissed and steal your goods.
-Jc
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 09:43

ChristCrusader;

I wanted an exemption for you;be careful.We stopped talkin about Turko-Greek,Armenian wars;they give nothing to us.

Here we are all neutral about historical events.

But if you behave like this again,you would be banned.

Be careful and neutral.I will not act like this again.

After the Battle Otoomans lost 30.000 men while Ausrians lost only 500 men.

I am sorry it is not 500,it is 1500(still very low)

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 15:28

Quote from Pasha. Also Ottoman supplies and the signet of the grand vizier took by Austrians.They took all the battle-tents includes the sultan's tent.

DO you not see what I was refurring to. If your going to fairly ban me please have a better case than my last comment... This has nothing to do with the other post. I am stating my opinion and if that shouldn't be a problem if this is a neutral posting.

Edited by Christscrusader
-Jc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>