Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How come europeans don't do american football?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How come europeans don't do american football?
    Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 14:15
Hey don't get too offended! I don't really follow any sport - I just find the protective gear and stereotype quite funny. I wasn't exactly making a serious criticism of your culture of anything!
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 14:24

Football is easy, a ball, 2 teams and goal posts and the team that scores the most wins. Only three basic rules you should follow and a toddler can understand them.

However having watched both college and professional American football I really can't understand how people watch those games, rules are complicated, the fun is killed by the obscene number of timeouts, and a guy like Manning gets 10s of millions of dollars for just throwing the ball. Believe me if I was 10 cm taller I would have become a star in this game and quit studying all toether.

Al-Jassas

Edited by Al Jassas - 15-Dec-2008 at 14:25
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 17:04
No offense or anything but most americans think the same of soccer I mean you can't use your hands. So what if Manning is paid a million big deal  

BTW Omar the players aren't afraid of getting hurt watch a game sometime

ABTW Whoever said protective gear is sissified should take a look at the battle of marathon

Another thing with football you get cheerleaders ClapStar

Edited by Count Belisarius - 15-Dec-2008 at 17:06

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 17:13
gorillas play american football,gentle people watch; gentle players play soccer,gorillas watch it.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 17:51
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Why don't people in europe (and any other non USA country for that matter) play american football? play nicely now I'm not trying to start a fight or anything I'm just curious as to how come people in europe don't do football, and if you would like to see an amercan style pro or college football league come to be or not?

Because american football is crap. And its not football. 'soccer' is football, and always will be! The games keep breaking up every two seconds and the clubs are incomprehensible franchise monstrosities, with transfer systems more confusing than the American tax code. Good old simple English football, the Roy of the Rovers kind of stuff, is unparalleled in other sport I think.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 17:53
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Football is easy, a ball, 2 teams and goal posts and the team that scores the most wins.

You don't even need that. In elementary school we just used a pressed tin can or a plastic bottle for ball, and a couple of stones or carbage for goal posts.

ABTW Whoever said protective gear is sissified should take a look at the battle of marathon

It's different getting killed and getting bruised.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 17:59
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

I believe they do.  There is a league in Germany, and there is interest in US football in Britain.  I am not familiar with all of it, but I have read a few items about it.

I do have some itnerest in American football and yes there's a small league here though it will never become as popular as "real" football becuase football here dominates all sports. i've tried to regularly watch the Superbowl at last but the last one i've seen in full and live was Oakland Raiders vs Tampa Bay Bucaneers, can't even remember how long ago. the Superbowl taking place in the middle of the night over here doesn't help either.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 18:09

No offense or anything but most americans think the same of soccer I mean you can't use your hands. So what if Manning is paid a million big deal  

BTW Omar the players aren't afraid of getting hurt watch a game sometime

Another thing with football you get cheerleaders ClapStar

Not being able to use your hands make it that more challenging and that more fun for most people. As far as cheerleaders they're there for adolescents with their first... you know what. I watch a sport for the uhh sport.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 18:18
Originally posted by Al Jassas

and a guy like Manning gets 10s of millions of dollars for just throwing the ball. Believe me if I was 10 cm taller I would have become a star in this game and quit studying all toether.

Al-Jassas

or one fat Polish guy earns few millions dollars salary just because he comes out few times in a game to kick a ball. I'm better trained than him.
I agree with what other say: too much rules, too much breaks, too many football players that look like eating hamburger 5 times a day. Besides let's be honest: we have soccer.

But to finish positively I admit that NBA is great ( not as great as in Jordan times though )
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 18:24
Who cares about the franchise?!!!!! I can tell you right very few americans do and so what about the rules? Who cares what the players look like? Shut up and enjoy the gameTongue 
BTW Xristar you missed the point

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 18:49
Hello count

I have nothing against american sports, I like basketball, enjoyed baseball despite the horrible long time the game took but when it comes to American football, well as I said there are too many things that makes the game lame.

Having seen both college and professional football, I can see why Manning and other quarterbacks get so much money, he is good no doubt about it but the game just doesn't have that much appeal, it doesn't force you to sit down and try seeing the game.

As for football, well there was a game that just ended in the Saudi league. The top team against the bottom, do you know how the game went? the underdog took the 1st half and managed to catch up despite a 2 goal deficit, of course they were murdered in the 2nd half (5 more goals found their way to their net) but none the less the excitement of an underdog winning is just exalting.

AL-Jassas 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 18:50

..hello all...

..i can remember many years ago in England when a significant interest in American Football first emerged... there was a subsequent 'boom' period where lots of people got involved, spurred on by the TV media availability, but much like that other American import, citizen band radio, the initial interest soon bottomed out and the sport never really took off, there are still lots of teams that pursue American football in this country but it reaches nowhere near the heights attained by 'our' football, cricket and rugby...

.....American football when it came over here, was very much a 'fashion' thing, and while it fared well at first, like most things considered 'fashionable', the interest has waned and left only a few die hards still involved in the game.....i get the same impression with our football game in the United States (sorry, i just cannot bring myself to use the s*****r word!!!Ouch)...

....i tried watching some American football and although i would not say it is a particularly poor sport, it just does nothing for me, i kind of get bored with the stops and starts, a feature in our football game that is annoying when a match has a rather over attentive referee!!....i must admit, as others have pointed out, i do find all the pads and protective gear a tad ridiculous, especially when you consider the unprotective nature of rugby....still, that is  not a major reason to not 'get' the sport....

...i do think it has a lot to do with whether one has actually played the game....i grew up playing football, loved playing and my loyalty as a supporter is ingrained from as long as i can remember, however, i cannot push this argument too far as i also played cricket and rugby when i was younger and i cannot now stand cricket, watching or playing....rugby i can put up with......

....so, there you go...

..All the best..................AoO.....
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 19:01

No offense or anything but most americans think the same of soccer I mean you can't use your hands.

That's why everyone else calls it FOOTball. 

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 19:02
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

But the people who are inclined to want to play a game like gridiron in pads are even more inclined to play a different, less physical, sport and the people who do want to play a physical sport don't want to play it in pads.How did america manage to breed enough tough guys that are afraid of getting hurt to make gridiron popular?

This is not a really fair statement. American football is brutal, and the protection gear probably makes it even more so since it gives people a false sense of personal security.

The helmet has helped keep the faces of football players looking good and for them to keep their teeth. However, the helmet also encouraged the practice on ramming people with your head, which clash after clash it tends to cause similar brain injuries as those that boxers have.

And this comes from a person who prefers soccer and rugby, in that order.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 19:10
...How come you guys don't play football/soccer? Same difference - not inherent superiority between the games: just cultural diversity
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 19:25
The interest is growing slowly

,but there are a lot of converts, even middle aged sports fans that are into it more and more. There is a problem with over saturation, but also the lack of coverage for football compared to other sports.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 20:01

I'm not as interested in the question of why people nowadays don't like American football or association football (as the case may be) as I am in how they came to have different sports traditions. That American football ever became popular in the US is something of a mystery to me - from what I understand, it was initially a game played by students at Yale and Princeton, not exactly a working-class sport, and you would think that therefore, its popularity seems unlikely in the US. But no! So I wonder.

If, knowing nothing about how things actually turned out, I had to make a guess what would become the most popular sport in the US, I would have guessed that the history would have resulted in the most popular sport being some sort of cross between Hurling and Lacrosse (both of which are probably far rougher than either Am. football or assoc. football!)

Edited by edgewaters - 15-Dec-2008 at 20:03
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 20:13
There is a social historic component, as well.

Football, after being established, developed, in europe at least, to a sport of workers. Many club teams resulted from the federation of labours and their political interests.

Football, a sport of the men of the street.

The American style was and is a sport of students, like Basketball and Volleyball are.
Beside football there is no sport in Europe that is almost as popular.
Football, a sport with relative simple rules and not a big demand to the equipment.

Rugby, in England and France, might be Handball in some countries are the follow ups.

Football, that is tradition, religion and orison at the same moment. Football is like nothing else, mmhh,sex is also ok.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 20:25
American Football became popular in the 70s, not that it wasn't before. With the rise of professional leagues football gained popularity. The Bears have a long history for example in Chicago professional sports. And I must say I am a Bears fan no matter how bad they do lately :). With the fusing of the leagues and the creation of the "Super Bowl" you get a really more hyped and mass marketed goal which definitely brought it into many more homes than before.

But baseball is still considered the American past time.

I do not personally hate it or any sort of thing and used to play it. I can get past the extra padding and all, just the numerous breaks and time outs are a bit much. Basketball has them, too, but the game progresses a bit faster due to the limited scope of the field.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 20:36
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Rugby, in England and France, might be Handball in some countries are the follow ups.
Or basketball, in Greece and most of Eastern Europe

Originally posted by es_bih

But baseball is still considered the American past time.
Oddly enough, while American football is totally unknown here in Greece, baseball is gaining popularity, and we already have a national league.Don't know why that is though.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>