Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Classical Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classical Music
    Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 18:03
I've always liked the idea of liking classical music. Nearly ever piece of classical music I've ever heard I've automatically felt good towards it... The problem is that I don't know, anything, about classical music.

Could someone start me off with a 'reading list' equivelent for classical music? Say, 10 or 12  'classics'  for an absolute beginner?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 19:37
So you like Classical music without knowing any title? Well, that proves well that the lovers of Classical music are simply snobs.

I personally listened and found it boring.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 20:06
No, it proves that I know nothing about it, you judgemental moron. From what I have heard (Over the radio, in films etc.) by and large I have liked.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 20:33
Great to hear of your interest Parnell. I'm no expert, just a humble fan of the music we group together to call classical. Put simply, the classical era could be seen as a progression of periods, characterised and brought about by musical and even social movements.

Some major composers are:
- Vivaldi
- Beethoven
- Tchaikovsky
- Handel
- Bach
- Mozart
- Pachelbel
- Mahler
- Brahms

Those are just a few, and many would say there are more significant ones that some on my list.

In regards to some classics. This mightn't be the definitive list of model classical music - more a fusion of major pieces/symphonies and ones that are personal favourites.

- Cello Suites (Bach - Cello Suite No.1 Prelude is one of my favourite pieces)
- Canon (Pachelbel)
- The Four Seasons [Summer, Spring, Autumn, Winter] (Vivaldi)
- O Fortuna (Orff)
- 1812 Overture (Tchaikovsky)
- 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th symphonies (Beethoven)
- Adagietto from Symphony No.5 (Mahler)
- The Nutcracker (Tchaikovsky)

So, those are a few I'd recommend to get started on. You'd recognise most of them. I apologise to any classical/musical experts out there if I have made any minor errors. Enjoy listening!

Regards,

- Knights -

Edited by Knights - 05-Dec-2008 at 20:34
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 20:44
classical music is for nerds

=0

*Side-note: I got that quote from an old 80's movie. It does not reflect the views of this poster, or any other poster, or of this forum

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 05-Dec-2008 at 20:45
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 20:45
Why thank you Ponce Cool
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 20:46
Mozart - Requiem Mass
Holst - The Planets
Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring, Firebird Suite
Respighi - The Pines of Rome
Prokofiev - Alexander Nevsky, Lieutenant Kije, Scythian Suite
Moussoorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition, Night on Bald Mountain
Liszt - Battle of the Huns, Hungarian March to the Assault

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 21:32
Thanks all!
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 21:51
I'm a nerd but I hate Classical music. Seems so false for me.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by Menumorut

I'm a nerd but I hate Classical music. Seems so false for me.

Honestly, what has been the point of your two posts in this thread other than to try and pick a fight?  We understand that you do not like Classical music; why should that matter to those of us who do?  Let it go already!

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 22:51
What no Wagner?
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 23:04
The only classical music I knew by song name was Wagner (Ride of the Valkyries) and Vivaldi the four seasons. Of course I know nearly all them composers by name, but never actually listen to their stuff. after spending the last few hours listening to some of them, I can honestly say I've heard them all before. Amazing that music written so long ago can still lie in the public consciousness (Movies, tv advertisements, etc. etc.) yet be so unfamiliar when you sit down and listen to them! Thanks again for the beginners guide!
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2008 at 23:10
Originally posted by King John

What no Wagner?

I like the instrumental music of Wagner.  However, since I do not care much for opera, the solo vocals tend to get on my nerves.  I saw an all-instrumental version of The Ring and some other pieces on Amazon that I thought about getting sometime.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 05:26
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Honestly, what has been the point of your two posts in this thread other than to try and pick a fight?  We understand that you do not like Classical music; why should that matter to those of us who do?  Let it go already!

It was not to pick a fight. Classical music has become a cult, it's the idea of it that makes people think they love it and I thought my opinion would be interesting.

It's not a music that express life feelings, like the folk, pop or rock music, but a genre addressing to the intellect, so is something a little lifeless.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 06:09

Oh my god, hope that no one else will read your humbug.

The classical music is the pathfinder for all the pop and rock music, all you nerds are listening to.

Many of the early pop musicians were inspired by classic composers. And many of them were using classic elements in their pieces.

Most of the dilettantes, who are are leading the pop-charts today, doent have any idea of this music.

Spending 4 1/2 hours at a Wagner opera, is one the greatest moments you will ever have, nerds.

Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 12:40
Brandemburg concertos of Bach, King Arthur by Henry Purcell, From the New world and the Slavonic Dances by Dvorak, Ma Vlast by Smetana, Carneval of Animals by Saint Seans...

For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 12:53
I like classical music in general, although I have prefferences for certain authors: Vivaldi, Bach and Mozart, for instance, are my favorites. I also like some pieces of Wagner, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Pachelbel, Muzorsky and many other authors as well.
I also love the Spanish Classical music of Joaquin Rodrigo, the barroque music of the Missions in South America, and the music of Vangelis, Wackeman and other rock musicians -that sound "classical" to me.

For me, Classical Music is not a music for nerds. It is music for people with some education and good taste.

For the people, let them to hear rap and Maddona... Ouch

Edited by pinguin - 06-Dec-2008 at 12:55
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 13:06

It's not a music that express life feelings, like the folk, pop or rock music, but a genre addressing to the intellect, so is something a little lifeless.

I think you haven't heard much of classical music then. You cannot judge from one author, because I don't like Brahms nor Albioni nor Corelli nor Locatelli and many, many others, you always find something you like. You cannot even say classical music as a whole, because you cannot compare Bach and/or Mozart with Sibelius or Stravinsky: they are a totally different kind of music even if it is all considered "classical music".

Edited by Illirac - 06-Dec-2008 at 13:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 13:11

Music without feelings???

Listen the "Ride of the Valkyries" and you will want to go for a fight at a war!
Listen to the "Hymn to hapiness" of the 9th symphony, and you get happy
Or what about the "Tocata and fuge" of Bach, that put you in direct contact with the supernatural?
Just listen the "Requiem" of Mozart once, and tell us if it is not the greatest "tune" ever written.

Well, perhaps it is a matter of sensibility.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2008 at 13:21
Originally posted by pinguin

Or what about the "Tocata and fuge" of Bach, that put you in direct contact with the supernatural?

Well didn't Beethoven said something like:"They call him Bach (stream in German, if I'm not wrong) while they should be calling him ocean" Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>