Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Myths about the Americas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Myths about the Americas
    Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 02:27

Originally posted by pinguin

First, you have to understand one of the main problems on nutrition in the Americas it was the lack of cattle. In the Americas there weren't domesticated large meat animals like cows, sheep or goats.

Yep, mind you, the medieval European commoner didn't get to eat red meat more than a few times a year. Most of the meat in their diet was fish or pork. Even chicken was apparently quite a luxury item. I think this is probably because cattle produce milk, chickens produce eggs, sheep produce wool, and so on, but pork obviously is only good for meat. Plus the others all have to be fed crops, at least during the winter, while pigs can just eat refuse and can also forage a little in forests even in winter. This means that to eat beef or chicken on any sort of regular basis, you would need to be able to store a massive quantity of grains for the winter to keep a herd going, and average people had a hard enough time storing enough food for people let alone livestock. The nobility, obviously, had an easy time because their serfs paid them in crops.

Go back to earlier civilizations like Egypt or Sumer and the commoners (not the elites, obviously) were almost entirely vegetarian, except for fish and wild fowl. I suspect this is because floodplain civilizations don't have alot of good pasture land, they have excellent farmland, and then swamps or deserts or mountains, not much inbetween, so they would have to grow most of the food for livestock or graze them on good farmland.

A little off-topic, but I've always been bothered by assertions that Eurasians were eating more or better meat when in fact they hardly ate much at all, besides fish, unless they were very wealthy.

Edited by edgewaters - 15-Dec-2008 at 02:39
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2008 at 03:20
That's actually very true.
At least for Spaniards, they escaped Europe to the Americas to leave behind poverty and hunger.
However, we should recognize that the introduction of cattle, and certain plants like wheat and rice to the Americas improved quite a bit the lifestyle of the people in the Americas. In fact, among the Mapuches, sheep replaces guanacos (savage relatives of llamas) as a source of meat and animal textile fibers. Milk and cheese were unknown in the Americas before the cow and the goat. Other animals, like the ox, the mule and the horse, revolutionazed transport and the manipulation of heavy loads.
In return, the Americas gave plants like the potatoes, that aliviated very much the periodic hunger crisis in Europe

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2009 at 20:47
I remember a friend, whose grandparents owned property outside of the small town of St. Mary, Idaho, (state) told me about some lost gold mine there.

The story goes that the Spanish found gold and enslaved some of the local Indians to dig their mine. In time the indians rebelled and trapped the Spanish within the mine. Who knows if this is a true story or just some urban legend but his grandfather believed the lost mine was somewhere on his property. I think he said they owned around 200 acres and it is mountain country with dense evergreen forests; mostly pine, douglas fir and red bark cedar.

It was his dream to find it but hopefully it did not have a curse on it like the lost gold mine somewhere in the Las Padres National Forest of S. California- It is the same story with enslaved indians rebelling and burying the spainards into the mine but with a curse. I read the curse was agianst anyone who even tried to locate this lost mine. We tried and it is one long hike into the Los Padres back country, so now I know what has gone wrong with my life-

Edited by eaglecap - 07-Jan-2009 at 20:48
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2009 at 03:56
The Americas are full of those delicious but -usually- false stories. In Chile, for instance, the myths about pirate threasures buried long time ago are widespread, and some people had wasted a fortune trying to locate them... but they are never found...
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2009 at 13:39
Right.  Fountains of youth, El Dorado; Blackbeard's treasure, etc.

If Blackbeard had a treasure, he would have retired to Miami.  Instead he had to keep on plundering.  And....sticking his neck out. Big smile

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 08-Jan-2009 at 13:40
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2009 at 20:57
I think there are several myths with the same scenario- Spainards find gold or silver, enslave local indians, indians rebele and enclose the Spainards in the mine with a curse.

I also heard stories about all the caves north of my old city Spokane that were used to smuggle booze across the border during the prohibition. It could be true but the local I talked to still cannot find all those caves but the forest is very dense with steep terrain- grizzly bears also.

I read a story about some bank robbers who robbed a stage coach with a chest full of money in Walla Walla, WA and then buried it somewhere about days horse ride from the town. They then took a steam boat to San Franciso till things cooled down but were caught and hung. The loot is supposed to be still buried below a bluff- true story????
It was the pay shipment to the miners in Florence, Idaho, the site of a well known gold strike in the NW.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2009 at 11:53

I am curious, why you in North America had the Spaniards as the bad guys that exploit Indians to extract gold, while we here in South America have the British pirats (corsairs included) as the bad guys that had buried treasures product of theirs robbery on Spanish towns and gallions.

I believe this fact deserves a psycological and sociological analysis.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2009 at 12:39

I am curious, why you in North America had the Spaniards as the bad guys that exploit Indians to extract gold, while we here in South America have the British pirats (corsairs included) as the bad guys that had buried treasures product of theirs robbery on Spanish towns and gallions.

Start with the primary sources for the early modern period.  The English didn't have anything good to say about those Papist Spaniards who wanted to invade them, and the Spanish didn't have anything good to say about those hertical English who had the nerve to sail to the West Indies.

The historical record is of bad feeling, war and twenty years of frustration as the English could not really disrupt the Spanish Atlantic economy, and the Spanish could neither stop the English raiding nor invade England to make them stop it.

Corsairs in the 16th and into the 17th century were naval strategy "on the cheap."  Letters of marque, privateering with deniability, etc.  Piracy after that was mostly another issue entirely.

Not much psychosociology here.  The two sides had differing interests, and they had a continuing cultural clash (Huntington didn't do early modern history though Wink ).

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 09-Jan-2009 at 12:54
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2009 at 13:11
Interesting. In my country, Chile, there are many legends of attempts made by corsairs and pirates, not only from Britain but also from Dutchland, France and "independents" to enter the "Spanish sea" that was the Pacific. Some came to capture posts, others to attack indefense cities or to attack the Manila Galleon. In any case, the scale of those attack were such small that it doesn't make sense all the paranoia that generated on our ancestors.
One of the most curious is an Dutch incursion that tried to made an alliance with the Mapuches. Well, the xenophobic Mapuches didn't trust anyone, so the alliance failled, and the dreams of that power in the Pacific as well. Curiously, today the same region has many german descendents LOL

Today it is known the Spanish had a network of spies in Britain, and that the attempts to cross the Cape Horn were alerted before they happened.

Edited by pinguin - 09-Jan-2009 at 13:19
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2009 at 14:03
Pinguin, it was known in the 16th century that Spain had a network of spies in England :-) (At least it was believed to have, I don't know how sound the evidence was: Walsingham was about as sound as the CIA for similar reasons.)

However, since we're talking myths, is it true that Santa Anna introduced chewing gum to North America?
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2009 at 14:17
Walsingham probably knew more about the Enterprise of England (the worst kept secret in Europe) than Phillip II.  Someone had to know the vulnerabilities of Cadiz in 1587.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2009 at 15:26
There was a well organized secret service in England, with several british colaborators in the payroll. I don't think we are talking of a single spy or event. That service worked for a long time.

When the incursions to the Pacific were planned at London, the news travelled fast to Spain, from there to the Caribbean, Panama, and rushing from Peru to the Chilean south. Somehow that route was fast enough to alert the defenses at the Pacific, and several incursions ended in disaster, for the corsairs. I have formal references comming from a reseach book made in Chile, that certainly you don't have access abroad. If you need for schollarly reasons, just ask them please.

And with respect to Santa Anna, in fact he is recognized as the introductor of chewing gun to the United States, and from there it spread to the world. In Mexico, though it was known since ancient times.

Edited by pinguin - 11-Jan-2009 at 15:27
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2009 at 10:51

There was a well organized secret service in England, with several british colaborators in the payroll. I don't think we are talking of a single spy or event. That service worked for a long time.

When the incursions to the Pacific were planned at London, the news travelled fast to Spain, from there to the Caribbean, Panama, and rushing from Peru to the Chilean south. Somehow that route was fast enough to alert the defenses at the Pacific, and several incursions ended in disaster, for the corsairs. I have formal references comming from a reseach book made in Chile, that certainly you don't have access abroad. If you need for schollarly reasons, just ask them please.
That's OK. I don't find the statements surprising, except I'm a little sceptical about the importance of it. I doubt the 'corsairs' had any clear idea of where they were heading for, and unoless they could be picked up rounding the Horn (a practical impossibility) it wouldn't be much use knowing they were on the way to somewhere on the Pacific coast.

What I was picking up on was your saying 'we know today', when basically we knew all along.

And with respect to Santa Anna, in fact he is recognized as the introductor of chewing gun to the United States, and from there it spread to the world. In Mexico, though it was known since ancient times.

[/QUOTE]
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2009 at 10:54
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Walsingham probably knew more about the Enterprise of England (the worst kept secret in Europe) than Phillip II.  Someone had to know the vulnerabilities of Cadiz in 1587.

I didn't mean to disparage Walsingham's competence (or even the CIA's). I meant his predilection for telling people of influence what they wanted to hear, or what would further his own position.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2009 at 20:12

that is a good question- I do not know-???

There is also the legend, in Arizona, of the Lost Dutchman's gold mine. I will have to reread it but I think the miners, not spainards, were guilty of cruelly exploiting the Indians and once the indians rebelled they were also buried in the mine with a curse. I read somewhere that even looking for the lost mine would bring the curse upon you. I also some a program on TV about it but that is often hype.

anyone here know about the lost Dutchman's gold mine?

Here is something from wikipedia on the lost Dutchman's gold mine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Dutchman's_Gold_Mine

By Dusty Pixel on Flickr

Name: CurseOfDutchmansGold.jpg

Edited by eaglecap - 12-Jan-2009 at 21:59
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2009 at 18:46
There is also the legend of the lost shipment with gold and silver coins somewhere in the mountains of Arizona state, I cannot recall the mountain range right now. Plenty of people have looked for it but so far nobody has found it. I wish I could be that one-
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2009 at 00:59
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

I didn't mean to disparage Walsingham's competence (or even the CIA's). I meant his predilection for telling people of influence what they wanted to hear, or what would further his own position.

I would regard that as a result of the political culture of patronage.  It may have been less so in Spain where the King had the Grandees, who did not owe their sources of wealth to the Habsburgs.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2009 at 14:10
Yes, patronage. However, the situation in Spain wasn't very different for less-than-grandees (like Walsingham). You still needed a patron.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2009 at 16:19
Originally posted by gcle2003

Yes, patronage. However, the situation in Spain wasn't very different for less-than-grandees (like Walsingham). You still needed a patron.

Agreed.  In England, it seems that patronage was more directly associated with the monarch, but was more dispersed in the Spanish Habsburg territories.  Of course geographic detachment and the natures of the various kingdoms affected that.

Patronage was dispensed by the Grandees to their own clients, but that was the case with other kingdoms and principalities as well.

I did not mean to imply that princely patronage was not a usual socio-political practice everywhere in early modern Europe.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2009 at 17:22
I saw an old book at our local library about legendary lost gold, silver or mines. I read it once beforee in Idaho but I think it is mostly myth or urban legends. My friend had it at the ranch he worked out and if revised and reprinted I am sure most of this loot has never be found, if any of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>