Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do Civilizations rise and fall?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
charlesbrough View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do Civilizations rise and fall?
    Posted: 01-Nov-2008 at 16:30
I want to propose a theory of civilization that explains the whole process of both history and civilization.  Some claim that the continuing of biological evolution explains how we have managed to accumulate the vast cultural/technological heritage we have built up in the last 40,000 years and why we have been able to grow in such numbers as to now dominate the globe. 

Actually, our smaller brain case, thinner legs, better immunity to certain diseases that biologists claim have wrought tiny changes in our genetic heritage certainly do not explain the historical process, why civilizations rise and fall or why we manage to now dominate the world in such a relatively short time.  Evolution is generally a very slow process.

I propose that the explanation is that there is a SOCIAL evolutionary process going on.  That is, natural selection is going on between social entities.  Of course, this would have to be a different process from biological evolution because no genes would be involved.  So, what WOULD be the hereditary mechanism involved?

I propose to answer that question if others here can accept my functional definitions.  If anyone accepts them, I will happily proceed and logically show you the process that explains the rise and fall of civilizations and the course of history!

I define "society" as "a large body of people bonded into a group larger than the largest hunting/gathering groups we evolved to live in through millions of years of evolution---bonded, that is, by having a common ideological system ("religion")."   In other words, we cannot function in any grouping larger than from about 30 to perhaps 100 people maximum without there being a "religion" (a world-view and way-of-thinking system) that we can identify with and which possesses TERRITORY.  These larger social entities or societies are the social evolutionary MAINSTREAM.

Can anyone counter that?  If not, say so and I will use the above to explain history and the civilizational rise and fall process of social evolution . . .

charles
http://atheistic-science.com
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2008 at 17:17
Sorry to dissapoint you, but that seems to be the theory of memes of Dawkins. Actually, it is the same concept: memes (or ideas) evolve in society as the animals do in Nature.
charlesbrough View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2008 at 18:26
No, there is really no similarity!  The "meme" theory is about units of culture such as songs, jokes, skills in smelting, every bit of culture as undergoing a natural selection process. 
Thus, better ways and jokes crowd out or select out lesser ones.  So, culture changes.  The meme theory really explains nothing except itself, however.  That is, it explains only the history of only each bit of culture.  You get a fractured view of history that is impossibly complex and leaves us understanding even less than our present recording of history shows has happened.  All this is because, in living forms, evolution has to involve some genetic-like method of retaining what has evolved.  There or no genes or anything functionally resembling them in the meme theory. 

Please show me how the meme theory explains what a civilization is, why it develops, matures, undergoes cycles of rise and fall, and then eventually declines and, as many have in the past, disappears forever (ending up only in museums and history books).  This can all be explained via social evolution---not cultural evolution.

charles
http://atheistic-science.com
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2008 at 20:58
Originally posted by charlesbrough

The "meme" theory is about units of culture such as songs, jokes, skills in smelting, every bit of culture as undergoing a natural selection process. 
Thus, better ways and jokes crowd out or select out lesser ones.  So, culture changes.  The meme theory really explains nothing except itself, however.  That is, it explains only the history of only each bit of culture.

Meme theory is far more complex than that. Meme theory also posits memeplexes, or groups of memes that organize together (kind of like the difference between a single-celled organism like a bacteria and a multicellular organism like an animal). 

Furthermore, memeplexes interact in a kind of ecosystem.

Marxist thought also embraces a concept of social evolution. In Marxism, ideology, religion, culture etc originate from economic conditions - which are themselves an expression or generalization of the root reality, which is supposed to be the "social relations of production". The rise and fall of civilizations - in other words, changes in social relations - is attributed to a process called dialectic materialism.

Edited by edgewaters - 01-Nov-2008 at 21:06
perfectinsanity View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2008 at 19:13
Attempting to produce a theory which explains the course of human history would surely be impossible.

I think it is much more achievable to produce a generalisation which can suggest common characteristics of the rise and fall of civilisations, but which will provide no perfect fit to any situation.

Such a broad generalisation would surely have so many exceptions that it could not be credited as a 'law' or 'theory' of history.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2008 at 19:36
Originally posted by perfectinsanity

Attempting to produce a theory which explains the course of human history would surely be impossible.

Harry Seldon did it.  Big%20smileWink
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2008 at 20:06
You bet!

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2010 at 19:55
Well of course Harry Seldon did it! The "Foundation" series by I. Asimov is one of the most read series in all of SciFi!

But, just what did the "Mule" do?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Hrodvitnir9 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2010 at 06:25
Complacency and incompetence at the highest levels of government seem to be a recurring theme in the fall of most civilizations.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2010 at 13:38
Originally posted by Hrodvitnir9

Complacency and incompetence at the highest levels of government seem to be a recurring theme in the fall of most civilizations.

And, the result of 20+ years of such, leaves us in the position we are in today! And, it seems it is about to get much worse!

Regards,
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2010 at 17:33
Originally posted by opuslola

Originally posted by Hrodvitnir9

And, the result of 20+ years of such, leaves us in the position we are in today! And, it seems it is about to get much worse!

Regards,

Did my post above, which to me seems quite tame, actualy run the other poster from NY away?

I just have to be more careful how I treat new posters!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2011 at 06:35
Reasons are more than one:
1.Environmental changes,natural and human made!
2.Constrained economic systems.They  have  produced sufficient value since dawn of civilizations.
As result of this wars were always followed after.
3.New systems after were established mainly on criminal foundations without proofs,of money/capital origin,of new structure  in power  after.Most of the times, social  ideas  were  used  by new masters  and
new systems were established with small changes but new masters.

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2011 at 17:41
Well, except for a few bane posts, I have mostly ignored this subject, and it was for a reason.

The opening subject included these words;

"I propose that the explanation is that there is a SOCIAL evolutionary process going on. That is, natural selection is going on between social entities. Of course, this would have to be a different process from biological evolution because no genes would be involved. So, what WOULD be the hereditary mechanism involved?"

In short, I would propose that your premise is wrong! And I respect your view, however I would propose, as an alternative, that it was only upon the ability to read and write, and translate, and copy, and print, words, that caused the explosion we seem to have witnessed over the last "few" thousand years!

And, as the Bible states in one area "and the greatest of these was", "printing"! I just "Love" to write that!

So without the ability to duplicate materials, with few or no mistakes, it took the ability to print numerous duplicate copies of important materials to actually cause the explosion of learning that occured!!!

If you would like to give me some alternative that would better fit, then please do so?

Regards,

Ron
shokdee View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 01:16
Why do Civilizations rise and fall?

What do you mean by "civilization"?

Which "civilizations" did you have in mind?
What do you mean by "rise"?
What do you mean by "fall"?
What if there has only ever been one "civilization"?
Monkey see monkey do be doobie do
ralfy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2011 at 05:50
Try books like Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel.
shokdee View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2011 at 09:12
I recently skimmed through the subtly ominous Why the West rules .. for Now by Ian Morris, one of those grandiose overviews. The nearest thing to a unified field theory of history we are ever likely to get, blabbers Niall Ferguson senselessly. The book is bellybutton fluff in my opinion, as meaningful as History of Santa's sleigh 1500 BC to 1500 AD and less exciting then Amanita is aviation fuel.

Diamond's environmental and geographic determinism sits comfortably with the hip eco-crowd but I wonder if they've read his revisionist interpretation of agriculture; The worst mistake in the history of the human race, where he writes "that the adoption of agriculture ... was in many ways a catastrophe from which we have never recovered." (Discover Magazine May 1987, pp. 64-66)

I'd pair the two classics, Guns, germs, and steel and David Anthony's The horse, the wheel and language for a 3 + 3 symmetry (add Cathedral, forge, and waterwheel  by the Gies brothers for 3 x 3). While David is heavy and dry, Diamond is light and easy.

I'm surprised the more recent Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed by Jared Diamond was not referenced, as this is the more pertinent book. This work is unique I think for going were no-one has dared go before and recognizing the significant role of the whims of the power elite. Recall the title, how societies choose to fail or succeed !

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< - >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
===== Just wanted to make sure you don't miss this ====

A point to consider:
Is America a separate "civilization"? If so, how did it "arise" and is it now "in decline", "collapsing" or "falling"?           <-------------------- 3 questions, not 1 ---

Is it "falling" due to the usual factors (environmental degradation and resource depletion, wars and invasion, famine and disease, technological inferiority, etc etc) <--- this?

or because of the whims of the elite,  a controlled demolition,   <--- or this?
so to speak.

Something to think about....

.... And when you're finished thinking about it, PLEASE POST your thoughts here!

=======================================

Edited by shokdee - 21-Aug-2011 at 20:30
shokdee View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2011 at 00:28
Bang on schedule, here's the Telegraph with, Barack Obama feasts while Rome burns. Do America’s ruling liberal elites think they are the new emperors? by Nile Gardiner, August 4th, 2011. Maybe he also read the Jared Diamond book?
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100099548/obama-feasts-while-rome-burns-do-america%E2%80%99s-ruling-liberal-elites-think-they-are-the-new-emperors/

shokdee View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2011 at 05:47
Another look at environmental determinism.

Living in a tropical climate, where resource abundance is the de facto condition, I noticed that a tropical civilization is qualitatively different to a non-tropical civilization.

Necessity is the mother of invention is a well-known truism. Since technology arises from needs (to extend the body if we follow McLuhan) it follows that when needs are adequately fulfilled there is little incentive to invent.

For example, in a tropical environment the body does not need coverings for warmth, so humans go around naked or near naked, in contrast to a cold climate which demands full body protection (from shoes to hats). Within the equatorial band, there is no need for a solar calendar, a lunar calendar suffices. Only outside of this band, where there are summers and winters, is there a need to track solar changes.

If you continue along this line of thought - what tropical people DO NOT NEED - you start to get a feel for the fundamental difference that I am alluding to.

This does not mean that tropical societies have no needs and are incapable of inventing. They are as inventive as any society in meeting their needs. For instance, elaborate types of fish traps are required, so basketry is highly developed. A technologically sophisticated culture can exist in a tropical climate, but not really appear "on the radar" of a cold-climate researcher, looking for something that's not there and missing the nuances of what is there. A direct corollary relates to material culture. A tropical civilization could have all it's needs met using only bio-degradable natural resources - it would leave NO traces.

If there are little material remains to examine for evidence of a past tropical civilization, we must identify it's remnants by other means; linguistic, symbolic, cultural, and so on. If we extend my notion of a tropical civilization to include it's aquatic component (sea shores and shallow seas, nearby islands, large rivers, and so on) then it's traces emerge.

The word naga is the key to revealing this lost tropico-aquatic civilization. Buckminster Fuller's comprehensive review of the Earth's natural resources lead him to conclude that metallurgy must have started in north eastern Thailand, and that this was the furthest reaches of the original civilization, based in the western Pacific island complex (See, Critical Path). Meanwhile, Thai Architect Sumet Jumsai had written a book about the water symbolism underpinning Thai civilization. Together they produced a unique, thought provoking book NAGA: Cultural origins in Siam and the West Pacific, which explains their hypothesis about a prior aquatic civilization in greater detail.

Based on these ideas I suggest some ways to distinguish between a land/temperate and a water/tropical civilization:

LAND/TEMPERATE   vs   WATER/TROPICAL
----------------------------------------------------

Land based symbolism and mythology ------- Water based symbolism and mythology
Houses on land ------- Houses on stilts (if not on water)
Land-based towns --------  Canal-based water towns
Staple food is land grains ------- Staple food is aquatic grain (rice) and aquatic resources
Uses compression in design -------- Uses tension in design
90 degrees / right angle geometry --------  Triangular geometry
2-way weaving only -------  2 and 3-way weaving
Design for permanence -------- Materials are re-usable
Seasonal scarcity -------- Year round abundance
Closed concept of space -------- Open concept of space
Male orientated ------- Women play significant role
Domination and destruction ------- Integration and assimilation
Hierarchical, if not mono-theistic ------- All inclusive animism

Can we locate this lost civilization in the now submerged Sundra shelf? Another comprehensive book Eden in the East: The drowned continent of southeast Asia by Stephen Oppenheimer develops the theory even further, looking at geological, archaeological, genetic and linguistic evidence.

So the story could be as follows: A great tropical/aquatic civilization (Atlantis) existed in what is now the Sundra shelf area. Environmental changes drown the civilization, leading to mass migration: north along the coast to China, west along the coast to India, east across the Pacific to south America, and south through the Indonesian archipelago to Australia. The survivors would go on to face their own challenges, kick-starting a second phase of development, the one we are more familiar with. At this point it ties in with the ideas developed in Guns, germs and steel.

Edited by shokdee - 08-Aug-2011 at 00:53
shokdee View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 11:32

Hey!  Yank  Gringo  GI  Cowboy  Paleface  Mutherfluffer  Citizen of the United States  Compadre  Homeboy  Hey!

Brothers and sisters

Look at your flag

|* * * * * * * * * * OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|
| * * * * * * * * * OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|
|OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|

Is America now collapsing?

Google search: "war in IraqThumbs Down   26,800,000 results 

Google search: "collapse of America"   Exclamation 142,000,000 Exclamation                         Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked
                                                                                                                                       Shocked Shocked ShockedShockedOuch
                                                                                                                                            Shocked ShockedShockedShocked
China 113,000,000
Japan 85,300,000
Germany 76,000,000
India 72,200,000

Thailand 18,400,000  Big smile

Big smile

Edited by shokdee - 25-Aug-2011 at 01:40
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2011 at 18:28
There was a 19th century philosopher who by way of studying history and its timeline came to the conclusion that cultures come and go in a cyclic fashion. Every culture has its beginning, bloom, and destruction. He made a long life struggle of it. Sorry but his name escapes me, starting with S.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>