Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Mein Kampf" on the bestseller list in Turkey?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Mein Kampf" on the bestseller list in Turkey?
    Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 12:43
Please dont get me wrong on this one!

I read something in a Dutch newspaper this morning that quite surprised and shocked me. Apparently Adolf Hitlers Mein Kampf is one of the best selling books in Turkey with more than 50.000 copies sold in the last year. The alleged reason for this is, according to the Dutch paper, an increase in Nationalism and Anti-Semitism in Turkey.
I find this difficult to believe and even more difficult to understand.
How could Hitlers ideas be popular in Turkey?
Hitlers current followers in Germany would, if they got the chance, to send the entire Turkish population in Germany, a few Million, home on the next train. There have been numerous attacks by Neo-Nazis on Turkish people in Germany and the Nazis are amongst the most active enemies of Turkeys entry in the EU, as they regard the Turks as an Asiatic and therefore inferior race.
So, could any of our Turkish friends confirm and, if true, explain Hitlers popularity in their country.

By the way, the German State of Bavaria, as Hitlers official heir, still owns the copyright for Mein Kampf and for every legally published and sold copy they still receive royalties which they donate to a Jewish charity.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 12:45
Originally posted by Komnenos

By the way, the German State of Bavaria, as Hitlers official heir, still owns the copyright for Mein Kampf and for every legally published and sold copy they still receive royalties which they donate to a Jewish charity.

Heh, the irony, Nazis supporting Jews while buying Mein Kampf.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 13:34

I remember a few years ago the BBC interviewed the Russian Nationalist Leader who was second in the polls for a time behind Yeltsin (I forget his name).

The interviewer asked why Nationalism in Russia had been so much more successful than in western European countries such as Le Pen in France or the BNP in the UK. He replied it's because he thought Russian Nazi's were ethnically superior to western European ones...

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 14:01
Originally posted by Paul

I remember a few years ago the BBC interviewed the Russian Nationalist Leader who was second in the polls for a time behind Yeltsin (I forget his name).

The interviewer asked why Nationalism in Russia had been so much more successful than in western European countries such as Le Pen in France or the BNP in the UK. He replied it's because he thought Russian Nazi's were ethnically superior to western European ones...

Well I don't know any Russian Nazi's, but the German ones I met were on the evolutionary scale slightly less intellectualy developed than the Australopithecus( no offence!), so maybe he had a point there.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 14:43
think mein kampf is bestseller here because people are trying to understand why hitler killed all those people.They are trying to find out what the pchyco thought.it is true that nazi's are the enemies of Turkey. read a story abaut a murder in the papers.t said that  they caught a turk,asked him if he wanted to smile,then cut his cheeks.
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 14:45

Well I don't know any Russian Nazi's, but the German ones I met were on the evolutionary scale slightly less intellectualy developed than the Australopithecus( no offence!), so maybe he had a point there.

They do say, white supremicists, are the best argument against, white supremacy.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 17:16
Originally posted by aknc

think mein kampf is bestseller here because people are trying to understand why hitler killed all those people.They are trying to find out what the pchyco thought.it is true that nazi's are the enemies of Turkey. read a story abaut a murder in the papers.t said that they caught a turk,asked him if he wanted to smile,then cut his cheeks.

Can you explain why it was a bestseller last year? I am not accusing Turkey of being a nation of neo-Nazis. It is strange for a book that was published so long ago to become a bestseller without something propelling it, like a newstory, movie, a documentary, or T.V. show. Was there something like that?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 06:33

Turks have nothing to do with neo-nazis, idiot nazis and racist german bast***s. These idiots hate Turks, all Asians and even Medetarrinnean race. Anti semitism and Turkish culture are opposite. Our culture is to respect everyone, even your enemy with honor. How can you people learn such facts and try to use them against Turks, I cant understand...

People read these books because of the huge curiosity about Jews and close history. These topics are very popular in todays media and countries like Turkey are the main targets. To read that book doesnt make a person a nazi, or a racist idiot, but a person who is trying to learn some things about history.

There is another main reason about it. The theory of Khazar ancestry. Most of the Jewish people who were sacrificed by Hitler to build Zionists imaginary Megalo Israel were Turkic originated Khazars from Eastern Europe. They were only a "cow which gives milk" for the real Jews, Hebrews. To sacrifice them was an easy idea to make Hitler's dreams become real...

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 07:21
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

There is another main reason about it. The theory of Khazar ancestry. Most of the Jewish people who were sacrificed by Hitler to build Zionists imaginary Megalo Israel were Turkic originated Khazars from Eastern Europe. They were only a "cow which gives milk" for the real Jews, Hebrews. To sacrifice them was an easy idea to make Hitler's dreams become real...

I agree with most of what you said in the first two paragraphs of your post.
But the third one? I didn't understand half of it and the other half sounded like some half-baked conspiracy theory. Please enlighten us!
And "sacrifice" seems hardly the right term for the Holocaust.!

Edited by Komnenos
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 20:12
Oguzoglu,

I just saw a friend who came back from Germany, and he gave me an good explanation: he said that the buyers are probably German turists who can't legally buy it in Germany, where it is banned.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 20:16
Originally posted by hugoestr

Oguzoglu,

I just saw a friend who came back from Germany, and he gave me an good explanation: he said that the buyers are probably German turists who can't legally buy it in Germany, where it is banned.

Ahhh, that's why "Lerne Tuerkisch in drei Tagen" is on the German best seller list!
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 07:51

Come on guys,Turkey and Anti-semitism are too opposite things.

The ONLY reason that this book was sold so much is curiosity.The youngs in Turkey reads too few books in general;so when they find an acquaintance book which its writer and it are famous,they buy it.

Also its price is low;it is 3-4 YTL(2-3 dollars)

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 13:45

Originally posted by hugoestr

Oguzoglu,

Ahhh, that's why "Lerne Tuerkisch in drei Tagen" is on the German best seller list!

That was the counter-example that I was waiting for to discredit this explanation. At least it was a try.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 14:42
The Neo Nazis are in Germany and other countries, not Turkey. Turks were abused at the provocation by neo-nazis due to their "foreign" background and minority status. Is it over jobs or culture or both?  But Turks in Turkey are trying to most likely learn about what makes the "man" tick. Like many things in Turkey, the popularity of something catches on like wildfire  no matter what the content. I could see the conservative types in the western countries trying to make a big deal out of this. It raises a flag of surprise and fear. Get real!
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 14:49
Jagatai Khan is right;the only reason that book is bought is because it has a low price and a known author.
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 11:28

"Adolf Hitlers Mein Kampf is one of the best selling books in Turkey with more than 50.000 copies sold in the last year. "

This is interesting indeed. But 50.000 copies doesn't mean that it is best seller. There were books whose copies sold around 500.000 last year. It seems like this news have been selected to show something negative for Turkey again as an outcome of a Nazi mind. Anyway.....

In fact, I was planning to buy the book Mein Kampf. The reason is that it is really very cheap and Hitler even if I do not like him at all was a great leader (not great man). I wonder how could he rationalize his acts? What were his ideals, motives, opinions, propaganda tools and methods....etc. 

Secondly, as being Turks I think it would be good for us to know our future enemies if we enter (or even if not enter) into EU.  There are lots of Nazi bustards, many of them hidden, in EU. Future's Jews may be Turks in Europe.

A book is an important cultural object. It is not important sharing opinions of the author. Nazis were burning books. Will we do the same thing? What is this fear about Nazis in Europe? Don't you trust yourself? Do you think your countries become a Nazi ruled one? I think all Europeans should read this book to understand how a man could be so damp but at the same time could be elected democratically and started a bloody campaign. As being a Turk it is good to know them if we want to challenge them. And also we have to learn the history of Europe in which we are trying to enter.

Book is book. It is not important if it was written by Hitler or not. The important thing is the capacity of the readers. You can find very valuable informations by reading other's experiences, opinions.

Edited by Alparslan
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 18:50
Originally posted by Alparslan

"Adolf Hitlers Mein Kampf is one of the best selling books in Turkey with more than 50.000 copies sold in the last year. "

This is interesting indeed. But 50.000 copies doesn't mean that it is best seller. There were books whose copies sold around 500.000 last year. It seems like this news have been selected to show something negative for Turkey again as an outcome of a Nazi mind. Anyway.....

You may have a point here, the article was published in "Metro", one of the papers the assasinated Theo van Gogh wrote a column for, and for a while there was quite an anti-islamic tendency in the paper.It might be a bit far fetched, but one never knows.

In fact, I was planning to buy the book Mein Kampf. The reason is that it is really very cheap and Hitler even if I do not like him at all was a great leader (not great man). I wonder how could he rationalize his acts? What were his ideals, motives, opinions, propaganda tools and methods....etc.

I don't really buy the argument, that "Mein Kampf", be it in Turkey or anywhere else, is purely read and bought out of a need to study historical sources in the original. Stalin's, who was a far more prolific writer than Hitler, works are not widely read these days and the books of the great Mao-Tze-Dong are all but forgotten in the West. So, why Hitler then?

Secondly, as being Turks I think it would be good for us to know our future enemies if we enter (or even if not enter) into EU. There are lots of Nazi bustards, many of them hidden, in EU. Future's Jews may be Turks in Europe.

The enemies of Turkey, as an islamic country that wants to join the EU, are not the Neo-Nazis, an active but tiny minority in Germany and the rest of Europe. Far more dangerous is the neo-conservative, Christian right, who as xenophobic and anti-islamic they may be, come from a compltetely different direction. Their backgroung is worth studying, but Nazism is a thing of the past and reading Hitler's work is a complete waste of time.

Edited by Komnenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 19:04

You may have a point here, the article was published in "Metro", one of the papers the assasinated Theo van Gogh wrote a column for, and for a while there was quite an anti-islamic tendency in the paper.It might be a bit far fetched, but one never knows.

It was also mentioned in the "Spits" (even lower quality than the Metro) and the Volkskrant (much higher quality).

Edited by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2005 at 01:55

Originally posted by Alparslan

This is interesting indeed. But 50.000 copies doesn't mean that it is best seller. There were books whose copies sold around 500.000 last year. It seems like this news have been selected to show something negative for Turkey again as an outcome of a Nazi mind. Anyway.....

But what is the source of this news? We do not know. They may have chosen this news coming from another source in their newspaper too.

I don't really buy the argument, that "Mein Kampf", be it in Turkey or anywhere else, is purely read and bought out of a need to study historical sources in the original. Stalin's, who was a far more prolific writer than Hitler, works are not widely read these days and the books of the great Mao-Tze-Dong are all but forgotten in the West. So, why Hitler then?

I am sure that Stalin's and Mao's books are also sold in big numbers but I do not know the numbers. A few years later we may see that Stalin's book are sold 50.000. Those people like Mao, Stalin, Lenin, Che and Hitler are very important political figures of world history. Why not Hitler?

If I could find cheap books of Stalin or Mao I would certainly buy them. 

The enemies of Turkey, as an islamic country that wants to join the EU, are not the Neo-Nazis, an active but tiny minority in Germany and the rest of Europe. Far more dangerous is the neo-conservative, Christian right, who as xenophobic and anti-islamic they may be, come from a compltetely different direction. Their backgroung is worth studying, but Nazism is a thing of the past and reading Hitler's work is a complete waste of time.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I do not say that people who are opposing to Turkish membership to EU is enemies of Turkey. I am also against of being a part of EU.

But there is a hidden Nazizm in Europe too.

In Turkey there are tens of thousands Jews live. They have elected to parliament. One of my best friends is a Jews and in Turkey we do not assume them different from other part of the society. 

On the other hand in France there are serious acts against Jews. They are attacking Jew cemeteries and doing other nusty things. But in Turkey we do not have that kind of attacks. A few years ego a few men of Al Kaida who had been trained in Afganistan has blown up two synagogs. That was all I know. These attacks are related with Arap-Jews issues. They did similar things in Spain too. These are not related with Hitler.

But instead of dealing with the Nazi activities in Europe and especially in France why Turkey?   

Edited by Alparslan
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 15:56

I heard a company in Poland is also trying to publish Mein Kampf...btu I'm nto against it, one German post war chancellor once remarked that the easiest way to distract somebody from Nationalsocialism is to let him read Mein Kampf, it's bad written and contaisn garbage galore...anyways, there's no need to acquire Mein Kampf, just enter it in google and you get the whole book to read for free...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>