Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We need a new school.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We need a new school.
    Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 21:58
A school of communication! I mean really. There are professors in Universities who , simply, cannot pass their knowledge to their class! Damn! I am watching a history seminar,  today and tomorrow. The attending professors are among the best scholars in this particular subject, yet some of them speak English very badly. Too quick, or with a , not that good, accent. Plus, they stand there talking talking talking without a pause! Dude, where is the power point? 
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2008 at 22:47

Sparty,  you have touched on one of my pet gripes regarding college level profs.  Many professors are chosen for their achievements in their particular fields.  The average person would be astonished to learn that a good percentage of the professors in todays unis and colleges have not had even the most basic courses in education.  In public and private ed. K thru 12 you must be proficient in your subjects, yes.  But you are also required to have the same skill level in transferring that knowledge, ie you must be able to teach.

Not so at the college level.  It seems that it's thought it's an automatic that if you have reached a particular skill level in your chosen field you will know how to give that knowledge to someone else.  It doesn't work that way unfortunately.

When I left the private sector and went into teaching I had to take a 16 month intensive course in education.  Neither my undergrad or graduate courses of study included education courses.  All of the professors that I studied under were on the doctorate level, so you can imagine my shock when I found out that only one of them had ever been a "staff teacher".  In fact, about half of them had no classroom experience at all.Confused

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 01:39
Originally posted by Spartakus

The attending professors are among the best scholars in this particular subject, yet some of them speak English very badly. 

That is horrible. Giving classes in English is also becoming increasingly popular in the Netherlands, which is not something I support.
First of all English is not the native language of most teachers and students. The English of many of them is plain horrible, and even if they do speak English very well, it is rarely as good as their native language (Dutch), so you'll always loose some of the quality of the classes (from both sides). Also having a discussion is harder, because the fact that they have to say something in a foreign language also serves as an extra barrier for students.

The argument is of course that it will make the university look more international. But if universities all over the world start to teach in English, don't they become all more similar? Another argument you often hear is that will attract English and American students, but I really don't see why they would go to another country to receive education in a broken version of their own language.

Another disadvantage of teaching in English is that you will only be able to use literature in English. When classes are given in Dutch you can safely assume that all students understand both Dutch and English, so you can use books in both languages. When you teach classes in English it is probable that some of the students won't speak Dutch, so you won't be able to use books in that language any more.

One university in the Netherlands awards a prize every year for the worst gaffe made by a teacher teaching in English. The prize: a sausage, because it translates as worst in Dutch.

NB: any spelling and grammar mistakes found in this message are not intentional, but do support my point.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 04:13

If your going to teach in English, you had better speak the language clearly and well.  What Sparty's main complaint is, they are boring him to tears.  And on subjects that he probably has some interest in.

The devices and strategies for teaching are something they apparently were not schooled in.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2008 at 10:55
Oh I totally understand what you mean.
Red's first post is completely right too. I couldn't agree more.

I've had mumbling Russian lecturers who think the computer screen is the audience and the monotone the best way to keep people awake. Korean Chinese lecturers where you simply can't understand what's going on, and IT lecturers who not only can't give a lecture in their native language but also can't use the computer they are using for the slides because its not running linux!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 16:48
about the English thing it is fair to say that some subject fit more than others, take Economic History for instanvce, it is almost solely a British field, talking about it in French or in Italian both languages I master better than English seems unatural and difficult because all the concepts are in English. The same goes for Evolution Sciences. But for less niches-esque subjects I agree with you. Although in many English and US universities a fair portion of the staff adoesn't have English as a native tonguue so I guess we just have to get used to it.

On the other hand, the lack of educational skills of a number of professors is indeed a huge issue. That unis roud the world should address asap. The first to do so would even get a serious edge on the others.
I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply