Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did America win the war for the Allies in WW2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did America win the war for the Allies in WW2?
    Posted: 13-Oct-2008 at 05:06
Originally posted by Panther

For my apologies to Husaria for being a off topic, but i feel this either needs to be addressed here, or possibly in another thread...

Best regards,
Panther

No problem Wink.
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2008 at 02:06
No propostions about subtopics? I just want to see it from someone elses perceptive.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2008 at 01:02
Like i said in a previous post, your sure did pick a difficult position too defend? Anything you add to it will probably lose most of it's perspective and possibly sound like a "what if" in alternative history, instead of the coherent argument that you were looking for?

Respectfully,
Panther
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2008 at 23:30
But do not forget the pacific ground, Us did have a great contribution in the pacific.In western europe, Us was the main power to defeat Nazi, but of course Russia was important, But Us had military and financial supply to Russia.So i think Us had the greatest contribution, especially in the financial aspect, even Russian got Us moneyso her anti nazi war could continue.
leung
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 03:51
Hussaria, I think for your essay you should go for something overtly counterfactual (if your teacher says anything about that tell him/her he/she's a moron and this type of researching perfectly accepted for PhD dissertations in the best universities of the world).

Basically, pick a handful of topics and just remove the US from the equation.

I'd say the easiest way to proceed at first is to find basic data such as the UK's tank, ship and aircraft production and the soviet's truck, plane and tank production and to compare them with the US aid program.

If one or more case is significant (say more than 15% is already something), take a key event and just assume US help hadn't been fielded, then try to estimate the result of such a hypothesis. Then build potential scenarios.

For instance El Alamein was a British victory, but how many US-built tanks Monty had?

in the same way, would the red army be able to win at kursk without the us trucks and locomotives?

lastly, the uk were able to survive thanks to the merchant navy, but itself was arguably saved by the us-made liberty ships. so here the question is simple, would the uk be able to hold without the us merchant navy and if the German hadn't lost all the uboots sunk by the Americans?

A second major field of research should be the US's "gravity". They made 1/ the invasion of Europe likely and 2/ the invasion of Siberia by Japan unlikely. What would have happened if the German troops stationed in France, Norway, Belgium, Holland and Italy had gone East while the Russian had to keep part of their forces along the Chinese border?

Another question is that of the loans. I think America did not loan as much money to the UK as it did in WWII but it was well understood that the British could lean on the American. And indeed in 1945 a huge amountof money was lent by the US treasury to his majesty's government. So arguably the US existence avoided a total melt down of the British economy in 42-45.

Finally there is the morale factor. Would the English have thrown the towel hadn't they first expected and then be able to count on their cousins' help? I don't think so (did the German morale break?) but the question deserves to be ask.

Ultimately you can ask: had the Axis been able to allocate the forces and the money devoted to face the US, would they have win the war?

Of course you can't answer yes or no. The answer is somewhere between a very conservative estimate (no not much would have changed) and a very radical one (yes Germany and Japan would have won the war).

You can develop two scenarios:
1. The UK suffer greatly from the lack of US aid but manages not to pull out. The USSR on the other hand is hardly affected and still enters in Berlin in 1945 just a week later compared to reality...
2. The UK are forced to pull out, the forces reallocated on the Eastern front manage to hold the Russian until 1948 when a Nazi Atomic bomb is dropped on a Russian urban center.

The point is you don't have to answer by yes or no. You can  sum up a few things you hold for certain (anything from the battle of Stalingrad still would have been won to the Battle of the Atlantic would have been lost for instance) and conclude by saying that without the US wwii would have been longer and even bloodier. It is also impotant to remark the importance of the US on the diplomatic scene (what if out of hatred for the Brits, the French had opened their empire to the Axis?). Other aspects have to be taken into account such as the US technological input (industrialisation of penicilin, A bomb, etc)

So if I were you (which I am not so feel free to call me an idiot) I go for something like that

1. Assessment of the impact on the war of the US production might

A. Battle of the Atlantic without the US contribution

B. Battle of El Alamein without the US contribution

C. Battle of Kursk without the US contribution

2. Assessment of the impact of the reallocation of Axis forces

A. The Eastern front with more German troops (think in particualr about the Luftwaffe)

B. The Eastern front with less Russian troops

C. Would Britain throw the towel?

3. Did the US win the war?

A. An assessment of the US influence on the war

B. The un-losable war for the USSR (scenario 1)

C. Had Britain failed (scenario 2)

These links may be useful:
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/history/wwii-campaigns.html
http://www.feldgrau.com/stats.html
http://members.aol.com/forcountry/ww2/lus.htm
http://members.aol.com/forcountry/ww2/wc1.htm
http://members.aol.com/forcountry/ww2/tlb.htm
http://members.aol.com/forcountry/ww2/wea.htm
http://members.aol.com/forcountry/ww2/nav.htm
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/28/business/nazi.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease_program
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WW2_aircraft_production
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Atlantic_(1939-1945)#Outcomes
I am a free donkey!
Goblin Monkey View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Goblin Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 14:35
For a subtopic, How did Japan already having a foothold in the far-east effect the war in the pacific?
Is it just me or did your mom just wink at me?
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 16:17
Hello to you all

I see that Maharbbal has given some interesing arguments for the decisiveness of US intervention in WWII however I think that all these come short from proving that the intervention was actually decisive.

The first note is about Japan. Japan had no intention whatsoever to attack Russia throughout WWII. The Kuantung army had over 1.5 million men and these guys never saw any action whatsoever till the end of the war when the Manchuria offensive came. Remember, Japan didn't really start to fall and suffer major defeats till 1944 and it had the power to do great harm to Russia till the summer of 43 when practically every available Russian soldier was at the front fighting the Germans. After Kursk Russia had enough men to spare and such attack even if it was initially successfull would have not come till the summer of 44 and by that time Russia was invincible and Japan cornered off. It was the flawed Japanese strategy not American intervention that saved Russia.

Second of all you quoted production numbers for Russia and the UK and the US, what you should have done is to compare these numbers with the German numbers not the American numbers. Germany believe it or not only produced 20k tanks while both the USSR and the UK made not only more than the Germans but also combined made more than the US by far (78k tanks while the US made only 60k tanks, numers are from the DoD). So even if the US didn't intervene it would not be a problem, the two main countries had 4 times as much tanks as the Germans. Same thing goes for the planes. Already the supremacy of the Luftwaffe was challanges before the US intervention and only achieved after the British designed and engineered Mustang came from the American factories. But byt that time Russian armies were already on the German borders and would have ended the war with or without the Mustang which came by the way in mid 44.

The only decisiveness coming out of the US intervention was saving western Europe from communism but that is it.

Al-Jassas
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 17:09

So many opinions. Now for some fo mine. The US ended the war in Europe and the Pacific. Without the US involvement the end would not be in sight at 1945.

First, let's start with the Lend Lease program. American aid to allied nations amounted to approximately 50 billion dollars back then. Included in this was nation saving arms at a time of need. Munnitions and logistics were only possible in the early years because of the program.

Second, the Normandy invasion would have never happened without America. Over 3 million Allied soldiers eventually landed into France. Operation Overlord would be the turning point of the war.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 20:01
Britain and Canada would have developed nuclear weapons (the program with the US was a joint one). Germany and the SU wouldn't have done. End of story really.

Al-Jassas is right about war industries' output comparisons. They are only stronger if Canadian and other Commonwealth countries are included. And don't forget the gold coming out of South Africa. The US wasn't going to sell weaponry[1] to anyone but the British, allied to them or not, just as in 1914-17.

I'd add the financial strength of the various countries to Maharbbal's list of topics.

[1] or anything else.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 20:05
Originally posted by Seko

So many opinions. Now for some fo mine. The US ended the war in Europe and the Pacific. Without the US involvement the end would not be in sight at 1945.

First, let's start with the Lend Lease program. American aid to allied nations amounted to approximately 50 billion dollars back then. Included in this was nation saving arms at a time of need. Munnitions and logistics were only possible in the early years because of the program.
As the WWI experience shows, America would have found some way of trading weapons to Britain anyway, involved in the war or not. Who else were they going to sell them too?

Yes Britain leased bases to the US as one way of paying - was Germany going to do that?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 20:26
Originally posted by Al Jassas

The first note is about Japan. Japan had no intention whatsoever to attack Russia throughout WWII. The Kuantung army had over 1.5 million men and these guys never saw any action whatsoever till the end of the war when the Manchuria offensive came. Remember, Japan didn't really start to fall and suffer major defeats till 1944 and it had the power to do great harm to Russia till the summer of 43 when practically every available Russian soldier was at the front fighting the Germans. After Kursk Russia had enough men to spare and such attack even if it was initially successfull would have not come till the summer of 44 and by that time Russia was invincible and Japan cornered off. It was the flawed Japanese strategy not American intervention that saved Russia.
I'm sorry but you missed my point. The question is not whether or not the Japs attacked the USSR but whether, had the US not been around, would the threat they represented on Stalin's flanks been significantly increased? ... you're free to say no but considering how many regiments Stalin left along the Mandchurian border until Oct 41, I'd say the jury is still out and it is likely to say yes.

Second of all you quoted production numbers for Russia and the UK and the US, what you should have done is to compare these numbers with the German numbers not the American numbers. Germany believe it or not only produced 20k tanks while both the USSR and the UK made not only more than the Germans but also combined made more than the US by far (78k tanks while the US made only 60k tanks, numers are from the DoD). So even if the US didn't intervene it would not be a problem, the two main countries had 4 times as much tanks as the Germans. Same thing goes for the planes. Already the supremacy of the Luftwaffe was challanges before the US intervention and only achieved after the British designed and engineered Mustang came from the American factories. But byt that time Russian armies were already on the German borders and would have ended the war with or without the Mustang which came by the way in mid 44.
Two things: weren't the Russian able to produce so many tanks merely because the US made sure that locomotives would still be around, food delivered and fur boots given to troops? And would the UK been able to build that many planes had the US not build so many ships for them.
The case of the Mustang is an excellent example (and could be extended to penicilin, liberty ships etc). Why didn't the English build it themselves? They simply couldn't. The US becames the allies' war factory. It allowed the Brits and the Russian to focus on some key production and to rip the benefits from economies of scale in these productions.

It is interesting to remark that much of the US contribution were made of rather simple products (liberty ship were a far cry from say high tech jet engines), yet they allowed often their allies to concentrate on front line material. Imagine the USSR without the 2000 locomotives delivered by the US... at best they would have had to allocate part of their resources devoted to tank construction (considering that a locomotive is anywhere between 5 and 10 times heavier than a T34, you can estimate that 2,000 locomotives equal between 10,000 and 20,000 tanks). At worse, the USSR could not have built these locomotives on time and their whole war industry would have collapsed.

The same goes for Britain and the US-made ships.

That being said,, I don't mean that the US won the war on their own nor that without them it could not have been won. I just intend to underline the fact that in the US contribution to victory there is more than meet the eye. The US may have had slightly less men under arms than the USSR but the number of workers in the US factories and their productivity was unmatched. The US had what no one else had during the war manpower, money and an undisturbed production capacity.
I am a free donkey!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 20:31
ps: in my hypothesis the US just don't exist, there is a new ocean between Canada and Mexico.
I am a free donkey!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 20:38

Your arguements support my point gcle2003 despite the attempt to dillute them.

Starting with the end of the war ushered by the Atomic bomb, the Manhattan Project was the culmination of scientists at three locations. Hanford Site in Washington, uranium enrichment at Oak Ridge, Tennessee and r&d at Los almos, New Mexico. Therefore its moot to tell otherwise since that was not the case.

Though the US would be happy to profit from the Lend lease there was no provisions for post war repayments. American efforts were for the greater good as it bought Roosevelt time and stymied the Germans with British manpower. Yes, the British did lease bases. It's all good. As for Germany doing that...we all know the answer.

Going back to my opinion, the war would not have ended like it did without American involvement. Speculation would lead to an unknown end date and unknown victors. In my mind, to counter and hence change Al Jassas' statement:  The most impressive decisiveness coming out of the US intervention was saving western Europe from a later cesation of hostilities with an outcome in the balance. To say that all America did was to save western Europe from Communism is only changing the calendar to a future date.

Edited by Seko - 20-Oct-2008 at 20:41
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 21:16
hmm I was thinking about something else:

without the American help, the Brits would have lost Malta around July 1942 and would have been unable to counterattack at the Alamein.With the road to Mesopotamia potentially open one can only imagine what would have happened.

Yeah the more I think about it it the clearer it appears, without the US, the Nazis would have had a good shot at the USSR and the war would have ended when the first country would have been able to produce a A bomb. Not sure it would have been Britain.
I am a free donkey!
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 21:47
Opinions so far are very greatly appreciated, special thanks to Maharbbal for the links and shaping the idea i had with some well organized thoughts.
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 21:52
Hey Maharbbal as it seems you have alot of experience on the matter,is it possible to include comparison lists in a essay were we are expected to write about 3 paragraphs per subtopic the number of whitch i asked and he said we can have 5 sub topics maximum. also i don't recall at the moment but our max for words is 1500 or somthing close like that i wish it was just unlimited so i can get my thoughts out completlyDisapprove.

Edited by Husaria - 20-Oct-2008 at 23:48
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 22:30
Hello to you all

First thing again about Japan. The reason that Japan attacked the US was pure stupidty on their part. The US would have never thought of joining the war if the Japanese attacked the allies for a very simple reason, Congress and the US people would have not allowed it to happen. Obviously you underestimate how hostile the US public was to war. The US would have not even declared war on Germany if not Germany had started and the world would have been in a really awkward position with US-Japan, Japan-Britain but not US-Germany although the US would have found an excuse to go to war with Germany anyway. Japan could have gotten most of what they wanted without attacking the US but they fixed their eyes on the US and failed. The US didn't guard the eastern flank of Stalin simply because the Japanese had more than enough time and enery to wage a successful campaign against him without affecting fighting in other theaters of war but they didn't and this was their mistake not the US help.

Second thing, the country that helped Russia the most during its most dire need wasn't the US, it was Britain, at some points of the war almost 80% of hardware produced in Britain went to Russia, also Russia had more than enough lands to farm, central Asia is still a world leader in grains and cotton production as it was before, during and after WWII. The loss of the Ukraine was important but it wasn't mortal.

As for the Mustang, Britain didn't build them because they, like the Russians, are practical people. Already their industry geared up to the limit and was the largest airport and base the world ever seen, it meant that it didn't have the luxury to waste stop manufacturing guns and Typhoons (which were more important since they were fighting the U-boats, the most important threat facing the allies in 44). Also the war was practically won and danger from the luftwaffe was minimal.

As for the trucks, please a detailed book about those campaign you talk about, soldiers mostly marched and they marched for hundreds of Km. Most trucks were used to transfer weapons and Russia didn't need them because virtually all their rivers were navigable. I do not know about locomotives and how many were sent to Russia but I do know this, Russia already had a large and untouched network by the beginning of the war and I doubt that American engines were decisive enough to tip the balance. I mean if Russia had 20k engines and the US gave them 2k, big deal! what kind of help is that?

As for the fall of Malta, it would have been a setback, but only that. Britain had another much safer route to Egypt and the Germans were far away from Iraq by that time. El-Almein was lost before it began when Rommel was 1000km away from his main base and in any given case, Malta was already out of service for the Brits and had zero effect on the out come of that campaign.

Al-Jassas
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 23:27
al Jassas, I guess we'll just won't agree. I hate agreeing to disagree in general but right now I have not the time nor the will to research further.

Just let me re-state a few facts and figures:

A large proporsion of the 8th army's tanks and planes in North Africa were made in USA (for the tanks at the Alamein I think we're talking 75% or more).
From Oct '41 to Sept '45, the USSR built ... 19 locomotives. Granted I have no idea how many were still in operation in Oct '41 in the country, but in 1950 the Soviet railway network was 71,000 miles long so the US provided the Russian with a locomotive for every 35.5 miles. To give you an idea a type of locomotive is qualified as common in France when there are 50 of them on the network. 2,000 was huge as far as I can judge (although granted they could potentially all have been sent at the end of the war but the weak Soviet production seems to indicate that it has not been the case).

Finally, as you said yourself, the UK and the USSR were forced to be smart and efficient, if anything the US offered them the opportunity to commit mistakes. The US were big and rich enough to allow almost any mistake to take place.
I am a free donkey!
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2008 at 23:49
Originally posted by Maharbbal

A large proporsion of the 8th army's tanks and planes in North Africa were made in USA (for the tanks at the Alamein I think we're talking 75% or more).
From Oct '41 to Sept '45, the USSR built ... 19 locomotives. Granted I have no idea how many were still in operation in Oct '41 in the country, but in 1950 the Soviet railway network was 71,000 miles long so the US provided the Russian with a locomotive for every 35.5 miles. To give you an idea a type of locomotive is qualified as common in France when there are 50 of them on the network. 2,000 was huge as far as I can judge (although granted they could potentially all have been sent at the end of the war but the weak Soviet production seems to indicate that it has not been the case).
IIRC in operation Barbarossa the Germans captured about 1,000 Russian locomotives, and certainly much more during the war.

Here's an estimation made by Germans in January 1941:

What is 2,000 compared to 25,000? Following your method of appreciation the Russians themselves had a locomotive for each 3 miles (though probably many were not functional).

US indeed helped the Soviets concentrate on tanks and not on locomotives but I don't think the help was that important as you make it to be. As it was put several times before, the overall economy output of the allies was larger. Without US' help would have been slightly other priorities or even agreements between allies.

Russians outproduced Germany in almost all kinds of weaponry. Russians produced over 100,000 tanks during the war, whereas Germany produced some 40,000. Yes, the Lend-Lease program helped but those weapons were produced by what you called a "weak production", thus raising serious questions about your methods of assessment.

Edited by Chilbudios - 20-Oct-2008 at 23:55
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 00:08

Despite the production superiority of the Allies in Europe it had little bearing to the success that Germany had on the ground until...

Numerical superiority means something when put to good use. It's also telling that nations can outproduce Germany and still end up giving territory. That was the case up to 1941. Even up to the allied invasion of Italy the balance was in doubt.

After the Soviet Union and the US, Germany produced the third most tanks, artillery and machine guns. Numbers tend to act as a fitting angle for debates but mean little in and of themselves without logistics and support.

Without US military aid, without boots on the ground, without a navy to check and eventually push back the Japanese, would the allies win World War II? Maybe, then maybe not. America was the biggest reason that ended WWII in the allies favor.

Edited by Seko - 21-Oct-2008 at 00:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>