Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

JNA third or fourth biggest army in Europe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JNA third or fourth biggest army in Europe?
    Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 22:41
Hi,

I think a simple question like this one belongs in this part of the forum (that I discovered a few days ago but I think I'll stick around for a while, thanks for letting me joinSmile)

I often read that "in the Cold War" (I don't know exactly which period is referred to here) Yugoslavia had the third or fourth biggest army in Europe.

How exactly is it measured when this is claimed, and which two (or three) armies were even bigger (UK, USSR, West Germany?)

Thanks!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 22:59
It's on populations. Large population = large army (except Britain and Spain) Poland, Germany, France, Soviet Union, Italy and Yugoslavia had the populations, so had the armies.

Edited by Paul - 02-Oct-2008 at 23:02
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 01:01
Originally posted by Paul

It's on populations. Large population = large army
That is usually true, but not with the JNA. The JNA 's size was out of proportion to Yugoslavia's population. 

Huge reserves were factored into the total number.  Even by Communist standards, the JNA practiced a very comprehensive form of total conscription for both regular forces and reserves.  Part of the JNA' strategy (based largely on Tito's WWII experience) was that any invader would be met by armies of guerilla partisans created from the "every citizen a soldier" reserve system.

Edited by Cryptic - 03-Oct-2008 at 01:58
evilbu View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote evilbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2008 at 00:04
So which two armies were bigger? Poland and Germany?Confused
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2008 at 11:25
Depends what period of the cold war (1947-1990 or so) you're talking about. France would have to be a contender.

Somewhat more importantly, the UK had nuclear weapons most of the time and the French caught up quite quickly. After 1955 (roughly) the British anyway switched to a nuclear defence policy, which allowed them to cut back their army, and end conscription.

West Germany of course didn't have an army at all for much of the early period.

Edited by gcle2003 - 04-Oct-2008 at 11:27
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2008 at 13:17
According to my copy of War Atlas, in terms of military personnel in mid-1982,  Yugo army was nowhere near the top in Europe. They barely made it to the top ten (they were 10th, if I haven't missed anyone).

They had 255000 military personnel. UK had 327600, Turkey 569000, Spain 347000, Poland 317000, Norway 421000 (!!!),  Italy 370000, West Germany 495000,  France 492900 and of course the USSR had 3705000.

The top three were therefore USSR, Turkey and FRG (closely trailed by France).
Mark Nixon View Drop Down
  Quote Mark Nixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2010 at 10:21
The JNA was NEVER the 3rd largest army in Europe.  It is a myth that the creators ended up deluding themselves about.

In late 1990 and early 1991, Croatian nationalists/seperatists were briefing western journalists about their soon intended declaration of independence.  In an attempt to gain international support as the underdog facing down a mighty goliath, they claimed the JNA was the 6th largest army.  This was duly repeated endlessly - including by some who should know better.  See the book / TV series "The Fall of Yugoslavia". 

By 1995, the myth had grown all out of proportion, and the then Croatian president Tudgman (himself a former JNA general) was publically claiming that they had defeated the 3rd largest army.  Deluded garbage.  Especially when you consider that by the end of 1991, the Croatian Army had more men under arms than the JNA that was supposed to be infinitely bigger. 

On the other hand, the initial Croat propagandists did a great job.  Not only did they manage to convince their own president of a lie, they've still got millions around the world believing it too.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2010 at 08:18
Quotes about "truth!"

http://www.10ktruth.com/the_quotes/truth.htm

Enjoy!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
itmtrading View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote itmtrading Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 16:02
Originally posted by evilbu

Hi,

I think a simple question like this one belongs in this part of the forum (that I discovered a few days ago but I think I'll stick around for a while, thanks for letting me joinSmile)

I often read that "in the Cold War" (I don't know exactly which period is referred to here) Yugoslavia had the third or fourth biggest army in Europe.

How exactly is it measured when this is claimed, and which two (or three) armies were even bigger (UK, USSR, West Germany?)

Thanks!

the red army of USSR IS the biggest among  UK & West Germany army, the second biggest army is of UK and the third is West Germany of all three countries.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2010 at 21:00
Ditto!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2010 at 15:35
All in defense and protection ...will create army huge like human population of country...But this is waste of money and resources...New technologies today give a chances to those that owns them,to make a blitzkrieg
using play station  joy  sticks  and  juveniles  after  a  month  of  Counter Strike  training!?!Lamp 

Edited by medenaywe - 31-Dec-2010 at 09:50
 Post Reply Post Reply