Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soo Stressed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soo Stressed!
    Posted: 04-Oct-2008 at 21:15
I've often thought that intelligence rarely gets people good grades in exams (Or if it does, its usually just the difference between high marks and really high marks) Most of the time it boils down to studying and effective studying techniques that works for the individual. If you devote enough time and work out a system of study that works for you, you will get the top mark. I often think that I'm slowly working my way to a perfect system - every time I've sat an exam since my Leaving Certificate my studying technique becomes more effective and sophisticated. My personal problem however is laziness, and being distracted by the delights of TV and the internet.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2008 at 01:39
Originally posted by Aster

To be fair, that's not really "smart learning" - make sure you look at the lesson plan and the scheme of work, and plan your work accordingly. I make sure I do roughly 1 - 2 hours for each of my subjects a day - that keeps me sharp and on the ball.

That's insane! You must have a very light workload to be able to do that.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2008 at 02:55
You must have a very light workload to be able to do that

Nope; it's fairly heavy - but I do it through a lot of late nights, dedication, passion, caffine and tobacco. It's not that I need to do all of it - I just really enjoy it. I must have read the Oddysey and Aeneid about 4 times each now (and that's not including the time just spent analysing individual books).

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 05-Oct-2008 at 02:57
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2008 at 04:19
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

Well, I think/hope so - I do a "to do" list every day, and leave my weekends for extracurricular activities. Don't take on too much outside your studies if you are deeply interested in them.

I'm terrible with time management , although to fix it I like your idea of siting aside a fixed amount of time for each subject.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2008 at 11:46

I've seen what you mean about the "fake" intellectuals a lot - they will feign intellect, but when it actually comes to doing the reading and stuff, they just can't be bothered. They love sitting in black berets and talking about existentialism and nihilism (I don't know WHY it's always those two philosophical schools!) but it's obvious they've never read anything by Nitzsche and/or Satre. It makes me sick - I think a lot of it comes from the image the romantics portrayed - Lord Byron and Colleridge etc have a lot to answer for...

They are drawn to the outward qualities of the intellectual rather than the inner, in other words being an intellectual to them is more about image than anything else. I can understand why they do it, we all have egos after all, and surely we all feel smug when we get the chance to tell people we are historians rather than something dull like accountant or tiresome like carpenter, or when we sit on the bus reading a book titled "Analytical Essays on the Dichotomy in Early Corinthian Court Music", knowing you are the only one present who can penetrate its content. Heck, we may even indulge in pretentious dress - it's all part of our reward for wholeheartedly pursuing our passions rather than the best career prospects. That's just it though; it's a reward, and the reward can't come before the accomplishment. Those who feign intellect will soon look the fools when they're among erudite scholars and reveal they have all the smugness of the scholar but little of the knowledge.

Edit: And don't make fun of Lord Byron. Artists are the only ones who can justify being even more smug than intellectuals. Wink

Edited by Reginmund - 06-Oct-2008 at 11:48
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 01:17
Originally posted by Reginmund

I've seen what you mean about the "fake" intellectuals a lot - they will feign intellect, but when it actually comes to doing the reading and stuff, they just can't be bothered. They love sitting in black berets and talking about existentialism and nihilism (I don't know WHY it's always those two philosophical schools!) but it's obvious they've never read anything by Nitzsche and/or Satre. It makes me sick - I think a lot of it comes from the image the romantics portrayed - Lord Byron and Colleridge etc have a lot to answer for...

They are drawn to the outward qualities of the intellectual rather than the inner, in other words being an intellectual to them is more about image than anything else. I can understand why they do it, we all have egos after all, and surely we all feel smug when we get the chance to tell people we are historians rather than something dull like accountant or tiresome like carpenter, or when we sit on the bus reading a book titled "Analytical Essays on the Dichotomy in Early Corinthian Court Music", knowing you are the only one present who can penetrate its content. Heck, we may even indulge in pretentious dress - it's all part of our reward for wholeheartedly pursuing our passions rather than the best career prospects. That's just it though; it's a reward, and the reward can't come before the accomplishment. Those who feign intellect will soon look the fools when they're among erudite scholars and reveal they have all the smugness of the scholar but little of the knowledge.

Edit: And don't make fun of Lord Byron. Artists are the only ones who can justify being even more smug than intellectuals. Wink

You have more then a point in saying that many are attracted by the image, but the image is second to the reward of passion in my opinion and the opinion of alot of the people on here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12