Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Journals or magazines that would take an essay...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Journals or magazines that would take an essay...
    Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 18:38

As some of you may know I've abandoned the extended project in my college because of the buerocracy and apalling organisation that has plauged it. Therefore, before I apply to university I would like to have an essay or two published in a journal under my belt. Can anyone recommend any magazines or journals that would accept an essay from one who is not yet at university?

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 21:27
Hmm... unlikely that any serious ones would. Don't worry about getting serious recognition just yet (You haven't even went to college yet!) Unless the US system is much different, an academic will probably have articles published around the time he wraps up his masters or has only started his PHD. Unless of course your work is exceptional, which would be rare for someone unused to college essay standards (Which can take a little adjustment compared to high school standards)

History is unlike physics or maths, where greatness emerges in ones late adolescence... the greats don't do anything great until they are well on in life! History takes time :-)
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 23:00
Well, I'm certainly not writing at that level! My teachers do say that I'm writing at good undergraduate level though, which I'm pleased about. But I just mean any magazine which would be a starting point - I just want to write something for something that would be published in a hard copy.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2008 at 07:54
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

As some of you may know I've abandoned the extended project in my college because of the buerocracy and apalling organisation that has plauged it. Therefore, before I apply to university I would like to have an essay or two published in a journal under my belt. Can anyone recommend any magazines or journals that would accept an essay from one who is not yet at university?

Here is some magazines and websites that publish both online and in print that I can think of off the top of my head.Smile

Military History Online- A pretty good website that is community based like AE but from looking at it is more selective but they do offer pay to contributors of articles. In addition they look well rounded but could use more Ancient and Classical History articles.

Armchair General- Is a well know brand name magazine among fans of military history that is published on the market both in print and on the internet, in matter of fact they have been running commercials on the military channel over here. Although they are concentrated on more modern military history they do accept Ancient and Classical History articles.

Concord Review- Remember I told you about this site a while back why don't you consider them again, it's meant for people around our educational age and something from them would look good on your resume. However it's very competitive and you have to pay around $40 US(perhaps even more for you since you don't reside in the United States) just to apply to be considered without any guarantee of being published.

Ancient Warfare Magazine- I'm sure you already know about this one but go ahead and apply with some work to them.

I hope this helps you out Aster!Smile  

Edited by Kevin - 28-Sep-2008 at 02:23
 Post Reply Post Reply