Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

JSTOR?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JSTOR?
    Posted: 21-Sep-2008 at 23:06
Is it possible for private individuals to get ahold of JSTOR and if so how much would it cost? 
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 00:09
I don't think so, JSTOR access and the likes such as Athens logins are given to you by your organization. On the other hand you can often access freely articles through scholar.google.com or sites such as IDEAS. And of course you can buy the over-priced articles directly on the reviews websites. That being said I could be wrong, if I am, please let me know.
I am a free donkey!
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 12:00
IIRC, JStor terms and conditions do not forbid sharing if the usage is fair (see Terms and Conditions, "Permitted Uses" section). I currently have access to JStor materials in such a way, and in turn I allowed others to access content I subscribed/paid for.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 12:55
But how did you go about paying for it?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 13:07
If you are replying to me, I can't create accounts in sites requiring membership in certain institutions, because I'm no scholar/student. I have no problems buying materials I really want to read if it is possible to do so and the price is not unreasonable (e.g. I wouldn't pay some tens of euros/dollars for a few pages article like some sites demand, but from a library like CEEOL I occasionally purchase articles for 1-4 euro / article, which would be much if I'll buy the entire issue in this manner, but not so much if I want to read only 1 or 2 articles from it).
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 13:14
Thanks. I thought you meant you had bought a universal subscription of some kind.
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 13:33
The membership to some associations will allow limited access to JSTOR. Like the Society for American Archaeology. But the access is limited to their journals, etc...

It's a good deal though...
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2008 at 14:38
Thanks. I thought you meant you had bought a universal subscription of some kind.
Now I realize it might have not been very clear. My original point was that I get JStor content from other people (respecting legally the Terms and Conditions but also I feel that ethically we're not wrong), while I can offer others materials I purchase under similar "fair use" conditions.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 17:59
Originally posted by gcle2003

But how did you go about paying for it?

I'll get my Dad to do it since it would be useful for college anyways.

Well at least hopfully if I can find a while to get it.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 19:36
JSTOR is fantastic. Got me through many a late essay :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply