Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CYPRUS issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CYPRUS issue
    Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 11:26

The argument for whether the TRNC (Turkish Rupublic of North Cyprus) should exist has gone on for too long in the 'new flags topic' so i decided to get the views of all at AE.

Please be respectful towards both Greeks and Turks, with only your views suplemented with facts.

Thank You, Peace to all

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 11:55
The unified Republic of Cyprus only had 3 years of relative peace since its independence from the British (1960-63).

If you look at the facts you will know that the Turkish Cypriots had to struggle with great hardships due to Greek Cypriot fascism, all right to be fair not all Greek Cypriots were racist but many were. Terrorist organisations such as EOKA and EOKA-B killed and terrorised many Turks, in order to gain ENOSiS(unification with Greece). These terrorist groups eventually were successful in making the Turks be confined to only 3% of Cyprus under UN protection. Someone who was meant to promote peace, Archbishop Makarios, actually encouraged this policy. The Turks had to endure this hardship for 11 years (1963-74), until Turkey came to save the Turkish Cypriots by allowing the Turkish Cypriots to govern one third of Cyprus.

In conclusion, the Turkish Cypriots have seen Cyprus as there home since 1571, their language, ethnicity, culture and religion is different to that of the Greek Cypriots, Turkish Cypriots had to endure 11 years of terrorism under the unified republic of Cyprus. This is why there is a TRNC.

Turkish Cypriots have been independent from the Greek Cypriots for 31 years, is it not time for the embargoes to be lifted? Is it not time for the world to recognize us?

If you want to find out more please visit www.atcanews.org or contact me via a pm.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 15:47
Why  have you opened a second topic?There is already one.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 20:16

I have a feeling that if turks were the main population on Cyprus, then at one time it would want to try to unite with "the motherland". I do love the one sidedness of Osmanis views, and i personally think another turkish/greek argument does not need to be opened..

tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 04:47

I think that  Cyprus must be independent, not Greek, not Turkish not to anyone! Something like Macedonia ! Don't you think that when Turkey enter in EU this argument will be unnecessary!
Everybody listen only this which understands.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 06:11

I think this topic will be useful to find a suitable solution.

Cyprus is an issue that all world is trying to make Turkey believe he has no right to occupy 1/3 of the island, but the situation is not like this at all. Until the peace btw two nations is not garantied and the lives of Turks arent safe, a unification is impossible. Also the plans for giving some parts of T.R.N.C. to Southern Rep. are unreightful and unnecessary, since you cant earn anything by giving the lands that Turks live to Greek authority. This only causes violence and is nonesense...

Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 16:32
Tzar, instead of claiming that Cyprus should be independent and that belongs to her tourists, I must remind you that it has been Greek since the dawn of humanity, for milennia that is. The suggestion that Macedonia should be independent simply confuses me and makes me suspicious since I don't know what you mean. If you referred to our Macedonia, come and get it if you can.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 18:38
Originally posted by Molossos

Tzar, instead of claiming that Cyprus should be independent and that belongs to her tourists, I must remind you that it has been Greek since the dawn of humanity, for milennia that is.

Greek since the dawn of humanity, apart from being under
Hittite
"Sea people"
Phoenician
Assyrian
Egyptian
Persian
Ptolemaic Egyptian
Roman
Arab
Crusader/English
Knights Templar
Frankish
Venetian
Ottoman
British
and Turkish rule.
It seems Cyprus was Greek only for a rather small part of its recorded history.
But as the saying goes: "A nation is a society united by a delusion about its ancestry and by a common hatred of its neighbours."

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Aquila View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Aquila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 18:54
Komnenos is right, but it doesn't matter whose rule it was first under or whose rule it was under during a certain period of history. If the TUrks want to be separated from the Greeks so be it. Hopefully they and the Greeks can come to a peaceful resolution.
Aquila©2004 Victor Chevalier
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 19:41
Originally posted by Aquila

Komnenos is right, but it doesn't matter whose rule it was first under or whose rule it was under during a certain period of history. If the TUrks want to be separated from the Greeks so be it. Hopefully they and the Greeks can come to a peaceful resolution.

Absolutely!

I thought I just debunk the idea that Cyprus has been solidly Greek in culture and history since the first Cypriot climbed down from the trees. No country in the world can claim that it had an unbroken uni-ethnical or cultural tradition from the beginning of time.
That's what history is all about, the continous flux and exchange of people and ideas.
And Cyprus has been fought over so many times, I'm surprised it's still there.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 16:24

Nobody says that Cyprus has the same culture as it had it in Ancient times.Of course there were many cultural exchanges with the Western and Eastern world like in every country in the world with the same geostrategical position.The situation is that a foreign state,Turkey, invaded illlegaly to another state,commiting the same atrocities with the ones that it claims the Hellens did in Turk-Cypriots.If the Turks want peace and better relations with their neighbours they should immediately withdraw their occupation forces back to Turkey and then it might be a chance of reunification.. 

--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 16:43
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

I think this topic will be useful to find a suitable solution.

Cyprus is an issue that all world is trying to make Turkey believe he has no right to occupy 1/3 of the island, but the situation is not like this at all. Until the peace btw two nations is not garantied and the lives of Turks arent safe, a unification is impossible. Also the plans for giving some parts of T.R.N.C. to Southern Rep. are unreightful and unnecessary, since you cant earn anything by giving the lands that Turks live to Greek authority. This only causes violence and is nonesense...

Whose lives are not safe?The Turkish ones?That's why Turkey put 40.000 Turkish troops there?In order to fight the "terrible" Cypriot-Hellenic guard of 12.000 men,a guard with no airforce and with no real navy?BE REASONABLE!!!EVEN IF Hellen-Cypriots wanted to hurt Turkish-Cypriots,they would not be capable because simply the Cypriot democracy is in European Union.This lands that the Turks live,were the lands that 200.000 Hellens used to live before they've been kicked out from their own homes,which were built by their own hands and expenses.So you are the one talking nonesense here.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 16:47
Originally posted by tzar

I think that  Cyprus must be independent, not Greek, not Turkish not to anyone! Something like Macedonia ! Don't you think that when Turkey enter in EU this argument will be unnecessary!
Such comments are very irritating and provoking.They should be not mentioned,not even as jokes.So do not mentioned it again. 
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 16:10

Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by Molossos

Tzar, instead of claiming that Cyprus should be independent and that belongs to her tourists, I must remind you that it has been Greek since the dawn of humanity, for milennia that is.

Greek since the dawn of humanity, apart from being under
Hittite
"Sea people"
Phoenician
Assyrian
Egyptian
Persian
Ptolemaic Egyptian
Roman
Arab
Crusader/English
Knights Templar
Frankish
Venetian
Ottoman
British
and Turkish rule.
It seems Cyprus was Greek only for a rather small part of its recorded history.
But as the saying goes: "A nation is a society united by a delusion about its ancestry and by a common hatred of its neighbours."

The RULE of countries can change, but the PEOPLE still remain.

Edited by strategos
RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote RED GUARD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 17:41

Why can't the Greeks and Turks just unite into one indepent nation?
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2005 at 20:09
The RULE of countries can change, but the PEOPLE still remain.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Hellas for example, has been under the rule of several countries through out history, did it make the population of Hellas part of any of the ruler's country's population. Can anyone say that during the Roman, Venetian, Ottoman, German occupation of these lands the population was strictly Roman, Venetian,Ottoman, German????

I'd think not.

If you look at the facts you will know that the Turkish Cypriots had to struggle with great hardships due to Greek Cypriot fascism, all right to be fair not all Greek Cypriots were racist but many were. Terrorist organisations such as EOKA and EOKA-B killed and terrorised many Turks, in order to gain ENOSiS(unification with Greece).

If you had done your research you would have known that EOKA was developed in the mid 1960's as a reaction to TAKISM that had developed with the support of Ankara in the early 1950's.

So as you see the unfortunate Hellinic-Cypriots gave you a full 12-15yrs to destroy peace in the island.

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 11:35

1950's?Boy you are funnnnnyyyy

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 11:58
1950's?Boy you are funnnnnyyyy

Both intelligent and with a good sense of humour, gee thanks

So you reject the FACT that TAKSIM was developed in the 50's????

Try asking Rauf Denktash!!! he'll tell you when they formed that terror organization also known as: Turk Mukavemet Teskilati (TMT)

Denktash: Three people established the TMT

According to KIBRIS (16.6.00) Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash, speaking to a group of former commanders of the terrorist organization TMT (Turkish Resistance Organization), stressed that three people, late Dr. Burhan Nalbantoglu, Kemal Tanrisevdi and himself established the terrorist organization.

Commenting on one of the leaders of the terrorist organization Ismail Tansu's claim that it was colonel Riza Vuruskan (sent from Turkey) and Tansu that established the TMT, Denktash said that Tansu rendered very valuable services to the TMT, however, he added, it was three people who founded the terrorist organization.

Denktash admits establishing the TMT

KIBRIS (19.5.99) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash while meeting the members of the new executive committee of the terrorist organization TMT, the so-called Turkish Cypriot Fighters Association, has said that he and late Burhan Nalbantoglu and Kemal Tanriserdi established the terrorist organization in November 1957.

SOURCE: http://turkeyhumanrights.fw.bz/TMT.htm#d

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 12:23

Again with the TMT, must i keep explaing the purpose of TMT in every topic relating to Cyprus.

All you have established is the fact that Denktas was a founding member.

SO WHAT?

In fact he did the Turks a favour. Earlier you mentioned that EOKA was established to counter the Taksim, please who are you trying to convince? EOKA was founded to gain Cypriot independence from the British, when they left in order to fulfill the needs of the idealogy of Enosis (pan-greek union) EOKA attacked many innocent Turks and even masscred whole Turkish villages. And yet you deffend them. By the way why was there a need for 2 terrorist groups (EOKA and EOKA-B).

Any way TMT was a counter terrorist group.

Let me ask you this, do you really think that EOKA/-B did NOT attack innocent Turks?

Just read 'The Genocide Files' (0951446428) its auther is British.

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 12:26

Ya_as_nT_rkiye,Ya_as_nK_br_s

Turks in UK still remember the bitter past. Protest for TRNC rights in London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>