Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does anyone else feel like this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone else feel like this?
    Posted: 10-Sep-2008 at 03:12
I think I failed a Test in AP Government today in addition I failed to turn in something which was my fault, also I have to retake a vocabulary test in psychology even though I studied, it must have been a slip up somewhere. I partially blame myself but I feel I am working so hard you know guys and I haven't felt in some ways that over people less dedicated to politics, history, and the social sciences will get ahead and get into a better college or university, It's just so unfair!Angry

Idk

I'm just venting I've had a really bad day!Dead        
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2008 at 06:32
go find how the top performers study, and integrate their best techniques for yourself

this is called "best practice" - multinational companies do it in some cases, combining the best techniques together that they observe among their various competitors
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2008 at 07:58
Also relax. Nobody cares about High School scores in a few years.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2008 at 11:21
My strategy in high school was this:
Don't study too much, make a big deal about it. Find out how much other people study, tell them you are so unprepared and only did a small amount of study. Tell them how much smarter they are than you.
Then beat them and get better marks than them.

It worked for me. (Seriously, its just about being organised and completing things as early as possible)

In uni my tactics are different. My goal is to help as many other people with their assignments as possible. My personal marks aren't as important, and by helping others with there assignments I improve mine as well.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 10-Sep-2008 at 11:22
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2008 at 12:26
Hi, Kevin,

We all choke sometimes. It is very maddening when you know that you have mastery over a subject, and then you blank out, either because of being tired or because of stress.

There was a great online book about 10 years ago about studying habits. I read it, adopted many of the practices that he advocated, and gain a lot of confidence that way. I will see if it is still around.

I will tell you a few of the most useful techniques that I learned.

Learn the best way that you remember. Writing things long hand help me remember the most. It may be recitation for you, or making diagrams.

Learn to summarize. This is helpful when taking notes during a lecture. Bullet points works best for me.

Learn mnemonic techniques. These are memory recalling tricks. Especially useful when trying to remember a lot of information, such as Latin grammar

Use flash cards. My favorite technique when drill and kill is needed.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2008 at 14:46
Hi Kevin,

All the guys have given you some great advise, I would like to add only one thing to the list:

1- depending how much time you have, take some time off, only if it means only couple of hours. Do your own stuff what ever you like as long as its not related to what has upset you. when you are refreshed get back to the problem with clear head.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Sep-2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Don't study too much, make a big deal about it. Find out how much other people study, tell them you are so unprepared and only did a small amount of study. Tell them how much smarter they are than you.

Thats pretty much what I did in our version of the High School finals. I 'beat' a lot of people few suspected I would have...
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 02:02
My problem has always been that I have so many hobbies outside of school that I am quite devoted to, so my strategy is to do just what is required for you to move on to the next stage and nothing more, and when it finally matters that's when you put in a higher gear. It worked for me; I finished high school with average or even below average grades, it was barely sufficient to get me into studying history at uni, where I completed my master thesis with an A as my final mark. Now I've just landed a job as a historian too.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2008 at 03:31
Math, Biology, Chemistry and Physics get you into a good college - not AP Government (whatever that means) - I got a 2 on the AP gov't exam but ended up at an Ivy League school LOL
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2008 at 16:40
Originally posted by Parnell

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Thats pretty much what I did in our version of the High School finals. I 'beat' a lot of people few suspected I would have...

Denis, don't be a jackass. Who the hell cared what you got?! LOL

Anyways, I just answered a different topic on this, but I think you need to look at it this way, especially in High School. Just because you are more interested in the topic doesn't give you the right to do best. Maybe you are stretching yourself too far in terms of what you are studying, so narrow it down, do what the syllabus dictates and do it well. And don't beat yourself up, there are few genuises in this world, the rest of us have to do our best whatever that may be. If you know the topics that are important, and you know you studied them inside out, then why worry aout everyone else? Education is yours, not theirs. Their story will mean very little in no time anyway.

@ Omar, how about tell them jack sh1t instead, and let them worry about you instead of thinking you're out of the running?? Now that's fun! Big%20smile

Post Reply Post Reply