Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'Scripts: Battles' Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Scripts: Battles' Project
    Posted: 05-Sep-2008 at 18:29

That's why I said that we can include other events also. 

Wars/battles are however single and certain events which are bordered by a clear timeline. A text about a character is more often than not a large part of a book in itself when battles may take a few pages or paragraphs. 

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2008 at 21:41
It's brilliant but why focus on wars? I know it is the most common subject on the forum but it would be  agood occasion to widen our scope. Just having titles and key words sounds fine to me, no need to be limited to military matter. If we happen to find an interesting text about say food, a character or whatever else we should publish it as well.
I am a free donkey!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2008 at 21:22

What would you think of publishing sections of primary sources which deal with a certain event (eg, in a book of Herodotos a battle between Greek and Persians, or from the Alexiad the Battle of Dyrhachium)? 

I personally feel it would add a certain twist and a new edge to the site but, perhaps this is uncalled for due to us already having a book section (granted, a paragraph or two differs greatly from an entire source and would help shorten the times of searching plus allow for better comparisions (how was the Battle of Marathon pictured by Herodotos and how did Thucytides write about it, for example - the same confrontaion could easily be uploaded in the edition of several different writers allowing for a comparision of certain facts, and likely bias towards a side, and so forth). 

Of course, an issue may be copyrights - ancient Greek or Latin texts have not much sense in being published until the majority of us can read it (which I dare assume, we don't). What's the chances of a pre 1923 (that's the current copyright date, right) book being so accurate in translation that its better than a newer version? Or would there be no copyright qestions if we took the book from Gutenberg and only published a section of it (likely indicating the source to avoid issues)?

So, what do you think of such a project or idea?

[This could obviously be brought forward to contain wars, assassinations, and so on...]

Post Reply Post Reply