Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Trial of Joseph Edward Duncan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What should be his sentence
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [63.64%]
4 [36.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Trial of Joseph Edward Duncan
    Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 23:07
This has been a case in my region so many of you are not familar with it. Duncan not only kidnapped some children he also murdered the mother and fiance to get to the children. He molested Shasta's brother Dylan and then murdered him and sadly molested Shasta who was 8 at the time. What kind of sentence do you think he should get??

All opinions honored but please read the article first.

I will vote first!

http://crime.about.com/od/current/a/duncan.htm
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 23:15
Provided his guilt can be proven beyond any doubt, death sentence.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 23:16
I saw something about this on CNN.com recently. Personally I think this is the type of crime for which the death penalty should be used. This murder and molestation spree proves that this ex-con can not be rehabilitated and should be put to death or at least spend the rest of his life in the worst prison imaginable and not in administrative segregation (where they put sex offenders and others that need to be protected from the General Population). He should be with the General Population. He should not even have the chance to be placed there, he should go to the front of the line for execution.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 23:38
I voted for Life.  I am not a believer in Cap. punishment, but that's not why I feel that way.  This guy should be studied.  There is a huge gap in what we know about how a brain such as his functions.  Most importantly we can learn much about what formed his patterns.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 04:32
While I understand what you are saying Red Clay, however one can still study him while he is on Death Row. Also people can study other pedophiles, this crime is not limited to Joseph Edward Duncan, there are thousands if not millions of these people out there to be studied.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 05:42

Fry him.

Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 05:52
Cut off his head.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 06:11
^
Both of them.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 08:59
He should be hanged, drawned and quartered.

Al-Jassas
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 09:35
Provided the state can contain him so that he represents no serious threat to society, life would be the option I'd prefer.

-Akolouthos
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 10:47
The guy forfeited his right to live once he killed those people and molested the children.

Al-Jassas
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 10:55
A small fine should suffice. We all have our bad days after all.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 19:11
I wonder how long he'll be on death row before he is executed? Maybe 20 years! 100 years ago they had no death row and he would have been shot or hanged pronto but death row gives them time to think about what they did. Also, a few people have been found out to be innocent. The case with Duncan is clear cut and since he took lives in such a horrible manner he is reaping what he sowed- to barrow something from the Torah.
I feel bad for Shasta and hopefully she will get the right help. To destroy a child's innocents is low on my list. I do not believe in the death penalty for all murder cases but only the extreme cases.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 19:39
I would like to add that while I voted for the death penalty in this case, this is only because we are here to examine the facts of the case for its individual details.

Expanding beyond this particular case, where the crime committed was heinous in the extreme and guilt seems certain from the evidence; there would be other crimes where doubts about guilt and extenuating circumstances would better warrant a sentence of life imprisonment or a lengthy jail term. My recommendation for the death penalty in this case does not extend to all other cases of a serious nature. It is only made because we can see the details of this individual case.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 20:23
I'm with akolouthos.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 03:56
The man's peers have also decided what they consider the appropriate remedy for this crime. After a deliberation of merely three hours, we can imagine it was a no brainer for them:

A confessed child killer has been sentenced to death for the 2005 kidnapping, torture and murder of a northern Idaho boy after the federal jury deliberated just three hours.

The jurors' recommendation was binding on US District Judge Edward Lodge, who thanked them, dismissed them and then issued the sentence on Wednesday.

Joseph Edward Duncan, 43, showed no reaction, but he did smile as the verdict was passed to the judge.

Duncan acted as his own attorney but had offered no response to prosecutors' argument that he deserves execution after the torment he inflicted on Dylan Groene. The boy's younger sister also was kidnapped and sexually abused but survived.

The unemployed drifter had pleaded guilty in state court to killing the children's mother, brother and the mother's fiance.

Duncan bludgeoned to death Brenda Groene, her son Slade Groene, 13, and her fiance Mark McKenzie in May 2005 in the resort town of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

After the slayings, registered sex offender Duncan kidnapped eight-year-old Shasta Groene and her nine-year-old brother Dylan and sexually abused them for several weeks while on the run, court documents show.

Authorities arrested Duncan in July 2005 after he took Shasta into a restaurant in Coeur d'Alene where a waitress recognised the pair from high-profile news reports and telephoned police.

Investigators later found Dylan's remains in a secluded stretch of forestland in Montana.

Shasta told law enforcement officials that Duncan said he had spied on the family for two days prior to the triple homicide and had boasted about beating her mother, her brother and McKenzie to death with a hammer

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 04:31
Originally posted by eaglecap

I wonder how long he'll be on death row before he is executed? Maybe 20 years! 

He must be executed.

In regards to time on death row.... a series of legal reforms in U.S. Federal courts has not only led to relatively quick hearings on appeals, but has also limited the arguments that can be presented.  I think Duncan's stay on death row will be between five and seven years.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 05:37
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Provided the state can contain him so that he represents no serious threat to society, life would be the option I'd prefer.

-Akolouthos

However there is nothing to stop this sociopath from harming people inside of prison both guards and other inmates if he got a life sentence which makes him even more of a threat in my honest opinion. 

Edited by Kevin - 28-Aug-2008 at 05:37
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 11:00
I thought this was significant.

Joseph Edward Duncan, 43, showed no reaction, but he did smile as the verdict was passed to the judge.

Duncan acted as his own attorney but had offered no response to prosecutors' argument that he deserves execution after the torment he inflicted on Dylan Groene.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 18:43
Originally posted by gcle2003

I thought this was significant.

<P has="2">Duncan acted as his own attorney but had offered no response to prosecutors' argument that he deserves execution after the torment he inflicted on Dylan Groene.

He must be one tormented soul but for this henious crime the verdict is correct. I think he smiled because he might be relieved in a sense because death might be his only way out.

We also cannot forget all the victiims of this extreme crime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>