Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hearts of Iron 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hearts of Iron 3
    Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 00:12
for all who didn't saw the news yet, paradox announced their new game recently and it will be due in a year. the already known new key features so far: 10.000 land provinces, customizable divisions, Victoria-stlye reserves and the return of the more complex tech tree of Hoi1. apparently diplomacy and economy also got a overhaul but no precise details known yet.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 00:57
It looks interesting, for sure.  I particularly am intrigued by military AI, where you can turn over control of some portion of your army to your AI assistant, tasked with orders.  That could save some trouble if you are in it for the grand strategy rather than the tactics.

Hearts of Iron 3 Forum

Whether these changes would actually make it worth my while is doubtful; I have HoI 2 but have never really played it.  I am an avowed Europa Universalis supporter; that is what I have done for years, modded, etc.  Though I don't actually play computer games much any more.   There are better things to do with life!

(Of course, as I say this my brother is sitting next to me working on the EU2 executable).
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 10:05
Thats great news. The only paradox games I have played are EU2 and EU3, but I have always been very interested in HOI series, was about to buy HOI2 - , but with HOI3 coming out, it will be good reason to save some money for it. Hopefully they will fix the topografy and coast line of Balitcs and also the names of provinces, in HOI2 they were horrible.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 13:47
i find issues with every paradox game, even Victoria. while i was at first dissapointed it's not going to be Victoria 2, as someone else said HOI2 still left some fields to improve upon, which i agree, Victoria was pretty deep in all aspects even thoguh there are other issues with Victoria that i don't quite like. as for the recent EU3, i got it with all expansions but in some fields it's even a step back compared to EU2. the main issue is however, EU3 has 400 years of gameplay from Tamerlane to Napoleon and there seriously aren't so much changes to really feel a difference. the Nap Wars should have been in a game like Victoria, whereas ww1 for example doesn't fit Victoria but rather HOI, i never understood in the first place why they expanded the timeline into the 60s instead of including the more interesting 30s and 20s or even ww1 as i emntioend for that matter. i also always felt Victoria was rather short while the EU games were more of a neverending story.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 18:18
Originally posted by Temujin

as for the recent EU3, i got it with all expansions but in some fields it's even a step back compared to EU2. the main issue is however, EU3 has 400 years of gameplay from Tamerlane to Napoleon and there seriously aren't so much changes to really feel a difference.

Agree. Imo the perfect EU3 split would be around 1650-1700, the end of pike&shot warfare era and also the end of wars of "religion" in Europe. Paradox should better focused on major history changing events during that timeframe like Reformation instead of stretching the game as much as possible.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 21:49
Never played HOI2 (play one a lot) though I'm curious to see how the third one stands out from the first two, even if I was one of those hoping for a victoria II.

the Nap Wars should have been in a game like Victoria, whereas ww1 for example doesn't fit Victoria but rather HOI, i never understood in the first place why they expanded the timeline into the 60s instead of including the more interesting 30s and 20s or even ww1 as i emntioend for that matter. i also always felt Victoria was rather short while the EU games were more of a neverending story.
I totally agree on all points. 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2008 at 19:08
Has anyone used those campaign save converters?
Like you can save your campaign from EUIII, continue in Vicky and finish with HOI2.

Edited by Roberts - 24-Aug-2008 at 19:09
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2008 at 20:19
I only ever tried it going from Crusader Kings to EUII, it was fun, seeing a unified germany in the 15th century and the byzantine empire ruling portugal.Smile
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 18:20
oh yeah, thats another big feud i have with paradox. why is it that you can create/become Germany and Scandinavia (and rather easily so) in virtually every paradox game irregardless of time period, even though a country like scandinavia never existed and creating/"unifiying" germany was a rather difficult task that only became possible rather recently.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 18:27

oh yeah, thats another big feud i have with paradox. why is it that you can create/become Germany and Scandinavia (and rather easily so) in virtually every paradox game irregardless of time period, even though a country like scandinavia never existed and creating/"unifiying" germany was a rather difficult task that only became possible rather recently.

You probably play EUIII to become king of Schwabia Wink. There is also a possibility to become the king of Westfalen. I have seen several times in my games Greece and Ireland forming up in 16th century.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 19:05

They added such ahistoric possibilities to give the really good player something to shoot for in a single-player game.  Since the AI cannot stand against a really good player, a game tends to get boring after the first 100 years, when the small nation has begun to expand and defeat all rivals.  For instance, I quickly took Mecklenburg to power in EU2, annexing the northern half of Germany within 150 to 200 years.  What do you do then?  The target of becoming Germany is put out to deal with that.

Of course, I don't like to play such ahistoric games anyway.  I used AGCEEP with EU2, which is very historical and more restricting.  My brother is on an EU2 expansion development team (run by the AGCEEP modders, creating a game that will be sold through Paradox based on EU2).

It's just left out there as a what-if, in case you want to go for it.  It should be very hard to reach.

Edited by DSMyers1 - 25-Oct-2008 at 00:00
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 19:45
Originally posted by Roberts

You probably play EUIII to become king of Schwabia Wink. There is also a possibility to become the king of Westfalen. I have seen several times in my games Greece and Ireland forming up in 16th century.

i never play the small German countries in EU3 because it's too boring and unrealistic unfortunately. you can create Germany but they can't f**king model a working, realistic HRE. plus the additional randomness and lack of historical events make it a dull experience. at the moment i'm playing the Timurid Empire. i think Swabia doesn't exist in EU3 (it did in eu2). westfalia as kingdom existed durign napoleons reign (just like italy). however italy was created by napoleon as sattelite, unlike the italy present now whcihc an be created by nationalistic italian princes.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 19:58
Originally posted by DSMyers1

They added such ahistoric possibilities to give the really good player something to shoot for in a single-player game.  Since the AI cannot stand against a really good player, a game tends to get boring after the first 100 years, when the small nation has begun to expand and defeat all rivals.  For instance, I quickly took Mecklenburg to power in EU2, annexing the northern half of Germany within 150 to 200 years.  What do you do then?  The target of becoming Germany is put out to deal with that.

Of course, I don't like to play such ahistoric games anyway.  I used AGCEEP with EU2, which is very historical and more restricting.  My brother is on the EU2: For the Glory development team (run by the AGCEEP modders, creating a game that will be sold through Paradox based on EU2).

It's just left out there as a what-if, in case you want to go for it.  It should be very hard to reach.

its not realistic, thats my issue. for a mecklenburg that you described to become Kurfürst, or even HR emperor, THAT would (technically) be realistic. or in other words, a second Prussia. at the moment, any dumbass can get emperor based on relations Wacko and it's even harder to become elector because the dumb AI already gives out the remaining two offices to any prince who has good relations (and subsequently would re-elect the present emperor as a consequence) immdediately while historically this was only achieved by two more princes based on some unlikely combination of events. i wouldn't say random but it was hard achieved indeed. becoming empeor unless being Habsburg should be even more difficult, particularly because historically there were only two non-Habsburg emperors and one of them was only elected because there was no male Habsburg heir.

in case of Brandenburg itself, it made some gains in the 30 YW which marks its beginning rise to power. the major issue for Brandenburg was to become a kingdom which was not possible as it was part of the empire. however the duchy of prussia which was part of brandenburg was outside the HRE borders so it was possible to elevate Prussia to a kingdom and this is how Prussia was born. at present it is not possible to recreate this with Eu3
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 20:42

i never play the small German countries in EU3 because it's too boring and unrealistic unfortunately. you can create Germany but they can't f**king model a working, realistic HRE. plus the additional randomness and lack of historical events make it a dull experience. at the moment i'm playing the Timurid Empire. i think Swabia doesn't exist in EU3 (it did in eu2). westfalia as kingdom existed durign napoleons reign (just like italy). however italy was created by napoleon as sattelite, unlike the italy present now whcihc an be created by nationalistic italian princes.

Agreed. Have you tried Magna Mundi mod - it tries to make HRE to work somewhat realistic? Also the reformation there happens around 1520ties unlike in default version were some random provinces become protestant in different parts of Europe.
One of my beefs about HRE is that the imperator very often is from small duchies like Kleve.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 20:53
yeah big time, the emperor is always some one province minor.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 20:54

Originally posted by DSMyers1

My brother is on an EU2 expansion development team (run by the AGCEEP modders, creating a game that will be sold through Paradox based on EU2).
Very interesting, do they have a discussion forum somewhere? I would like to make some proposals regarding Livonia (nether paradox or mods have managed to depict in properly).

Edited by Roberts - 25-Oct-2008 at 20:50
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 20:58
i have already given up on that, i mean paradox listening to the community. once a game has been released they care very little about minor (or even major) historical issues.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 21:05

Agreed. Have you tried Magna Mundi mod - it tries to make HRE to work somewhat realistic? Also the reformation there happens around 1520ties unlike in default version were some random provinces become protestant in different parts of Europe.
One of my beefs about HRE is that the imperator very often is from small duchies like Kleve.

Magna Mundi and Helius' Sacra Romanum Imperium mods both do quite a respectable job of modeling the intricacy of the HRE.  I agree that the vanilla and expansion games are both very bland in the diplomacy side of the HRE.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 21:08

i have already given up on that, i mean paradox listening to the community. once a game has been released they care very little about minor (or even major) historical issues.

I think I would disagree with you on that.  The major issue is the complexity required in the engine to model much of what happened historically; at this point, it simply isn't possible.  Paradox listens to the community extremely well; but some things are just so difficult.  If it is a matter of historical innacuracies in the history files or events, usually you can get a fix included in a later patch or at the very least included in a major mod released by the community.  (The AGCEEP for EUII, for example).
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2008 at 21:11

Very interesting, do they have a discussion forum somewhere? I would like to make some proposals regarding Livonia (nether paradox or mods have managed to depict in properly).

At this point, I'd try the AGCEEP forum if you want to talk to the EU2 modders.  The For the Glory project is just getting under way; it is all about changing the engine/exe file and is likely to stay that way for some time.  For the intricacies of Livonia in EU3, post in the Magna Mundi forum.  If you make a coherent post, and understand how something should be modeled in the game within the limitations of the engine, it is likely to be implemented.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>