Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why is it called, "Indo"-European?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is it called, "Indo"-European?
    Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 09:52
Don't you have to be dead five years before the process of sainthood can begin??

Not anymore appaerntly, unless the whole Mother Theresa thing has changed.
Arrrgh!!"
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2016 at 13:28
Yes, why not African or Asia European?
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2016 at 21:50

Yes the IndoEuro language family basically ranges/extends geographically from India to N/W Europe.

Chronologically the (Proto) Indo European homeland is not for certain located, suggestions has included Sinkiang, Danube, above the Caucasus, etc.
Indian and Hittite (and Greek) are among the oldest extant/recorded members of the family.
Some historians give evidence that the Danubian culture was home of Indo-European, others considered Battle Axe culture the first Indo-Europeans in Europe.
I previously thought Indian/Indus was the oldest IE branch but now looks like might be Hittite or unrecorded common ancestor in Danubian area, or Kassite??. Sumerian is probably the oldest prior to the oldest proto-Indo-European.

(P)IEs may be either Kittim, Dodanim, or Tiras in Genesis 10. See my thread/topic on the Japhethites.

Some suggest that Aryana-Vaejo homeland of Aryans in Indo-Iranian myth was in Arran area (Azerbiajan).

Alot of the words and names in the different branches of IE (incl German/Norse, Celt, Latin, Hellenic, Illyrian/Albanian, Hittite, Armenian, Iranian, Scythian, Indian, Tocharian) are very similar/close.

Dyaus(Pitar) (Indian)
Zeus (pater) (Roman)
Tiwaz/Tyr (Germanic/Norse)

*If* DyausPitar/ZeusPater = Ziusudra = Japheth/Diphath = Djehewty/Thoth, then Dilmun may be linked with "AryanaVaejo". Dilmun candidates include somewhere in Armenia, Danube, Indus.

In Iranian i remember reading that the Sayrima/Salm were "east then west" and Tur was "west then east".
Indian seems older than Iranian.

I state that however many things i am wrong/dumb about don't mean i am all wrong/dumb about everything nor that others are all right about everything.

J.A.W. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote J.A.W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2016 at 00:40
~80 years ago H. Himmler sent SS expeditions ( yeah, like in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' - but not fictional)
out to find evidence of the ancient Ayran roots of Germany, right up through the Himalayas..

Dunno where his research data materials/findings are now.. 
Be Modest In Thyself..
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2016 at 01:50
In Hitler's time India&Pakistan were the same!What about the ancient times?What was the area that covers territory now known as"Ancient India"?Was it called like that in the time of Alexander!?!Or name was his assignment: Holly war old religion would have been reestablished.Real goals :To stop Porus,ancient Assad person,people to migrate out of there!Was this migration cause of religious goals or climate change done?Duno.

Edited by medenaywe - 13-Mar-2016 at 01:51
PakistaniShield View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote PakistaniShield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2018 at 18:21
I agree that Indo-European is an outdated term; especially the given. The only justification behind it is the fact that the two most major areas of this family are the Indian subcontinent and Europe.

But in my view since the historic homeland for this famly's origin is along the modern Russian steppes, the Crimean peninsula and the Anatolian platue, the name "Eurasian" would make more sense because these regions are the meeting point of Europe and Asia.
PakistaniShield View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote PakistaniShield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2018 at 18:24
"India" is a Greek word referring to the land of the Indus. It never referred to the territory today going by the same name. If you look at the map, the Indus is not located in India.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12