Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The armed forces of Singapore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The armed forces of Singapore
    Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 21:52
Does anyone know anything about the armed forces of Singapore? Can anyone tell me anything about them? and be detailed please.

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 05:48
All I know is that they have about 40 F-16,s and about a division worth of troops.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 05:41
And they just bought about four variants of the French  Lafayette class frigates.  As a side note, the ships were given  British style warship names and not Chinese or Indian based names. This was evidently done to avoid ethnic favoritism.

I think the Singaporean airforce leases airspace in USA and Australia for training due to their very limited local airspace.  

Edited by Cryptic - 17-Aug-2008 at 05:48
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 08:03
This was evidently done to avoid ethnic favoritism.

Disapprove Yeah, sure, that's got to be the reason. After all I can just see Indian's rioting in the streets of Singapore over the name of a ship. Rolling%20Eyes
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 11:55

I can see it easily. You forget the bit about "castelessness" if you travel by water in some forms of Hinduism.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 14:59
just bought some advanced f-15's and IIRC there are some subs being ordered maybe that french/Spanish design. A smallish but very punchy force, generally at least one (tech) generation ahead of their neighbors but without strategic depth-space. The Malays are catching up fast though.

They make their own armored vehicles, howitzers and small arms. One of the strongest in military strength in ASEAN and close with Australia in that regard. i should post in more  detail in the coming week or so.

Edited by Leonidas - 17-Aug-2008 at 15:01
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2008 at 15:07
ok they have bought Swedish kockums subs (A17), second hand and operate older ones to build their experience up.

Edited by Leonidas - 17-Aug-2008 at 15:08
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 11:38
Hmmh. Such a small place with so powerful a military force? Did the renew the artillery around Singapore itself also? 
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 11:42
you mean like fixed defenses?

they make their own artillery and in decent quantities, but its their air force that makes them strong. Small country in a big neighborhood. 
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 22:50
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Disapprove Yeah, sure, that's got to be the reason. After all I can just see Indian's rioting in the streets of Singapore over the name of a ship. Rolling%20Eyes
In a place where chewing gum in public is banned, I can't see anybody getting away with rioting about anything.  The choice in names does, however, avoid giving "needless offense".  

Edited by Cryptic - 18-Aug-2008 at 22:51
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 01:17
I read that they were revamping their army into a powerful fighting force. Do they have tanks?.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 11:17
I guess they should have the amphibious motor unit whatever it was named but tanks make little sense. Where will they go in them? 
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 12:00
they have over 60 second hand leopard 2's and have around 30 in storage.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 15:18
Cool. I like SingaporeSmileBig%20smileCheersStarCoolApprove

snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 04:25
Why the interest in armed forces of Singapore?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 05:37
Just curious.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2008 at 20:44
Can anyone tell me how good the special forces of singapore are? compared to say the special forces of todays superpowers?

Dacian View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Dacian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2009 at 03:41
dont count Brunei out of it guys

not likely but if Singapore gets in trouble Brunei will come along and I won't want to be in the shoes of those who attacked Singapore in the first place I tells ya :D

other than that you cannot riot in Singapore...the fines are way to high for anyone to afford rioting there
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2009 at 11:42
Singapore is already miles ahead of her neighbors with the Malays playing catching up somewhat. I cant see what Brunei could give but some extra cash.
 Post Reply Post Reply