Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Bundesliga Thread 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bundesliga Thread 2008
    Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 19:47
If anyone, beside King Kang,Majkes,Temujin and me takes notice of it.....
The Bundesliga starts tonight with the match Bayern München - Hamburg.
Will bet on Borussia Dortmund this season, with their new team manager Juergen Klopp.
Sophisticated examinations later...

King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 22:50
Bad news for me regarding Bunedsliga this season.  It looks like my satellite company is shuffling some channels in my package and I might lose Gol TV which means I might lose Bundesliga and La Liga.Angry  I think I'm gaining more Central and South American leagues which is cool but I was already getting plenty of that.  Thinking about just buying that Gol TV but I'm already spending so much money for satelite and internet, so I don't know, we will see.....   But in the worst scenario I can only be able to comment German teams through internet game summaries and watching Champs League/UEFA Cup.

I still need to look up more info but my gut feeling says right now;

1. Bayern Munich
2. Schalke 04
3. Stuttgart
4. Werder Bremen
5. Hamburg
6. Dortmund
7. Leverkusen
8. Bochum
9. Hertha Berlin

Good to see FC Köln back in the top league. 
Go over more in details as the season goes on but here is little Dortmund preview for Ulrich. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bundesliga Season Preview: Borussia Dortmund

With the start of a very exciting Bundesliga season upon us, Goal.com previews two teams daily as a part of our build-up. Next up is Borussia Dortmund... 

Bundesliga%20Season%20Preview:%20Borussia%20Dortmund '+this.src;this.onerror=null;this.src='http://www.goal.com/images/177_thumb.jpg';" src="http://www.goal.com/images/29611_news.jpg">
13th position last season was Dortmund’s lowest league finish in 20 years and cost Thomas Doll his job. Highly rated Jürgen Klopp has taken the reins at BVB, but can he live up to the huge expectations at the club?

The Only Way Is Up

For a club as big as Borussia Dortmund, who regularly sell-out their 80,000 capacity Signal-Iduna Park stadium, finishing in the bottom half of the table is simply not good enough. It is six years since they last won the Bundesliga, and their 1997 Champions League triumph now seems an eternity ago. How times have changed at the Ruhr club.

Dortmund did qualify for the Uefa Cup this season courtesy of their Cup final appearance last season when they took Bayern Munich to extra-time before losing 2-1. But European competition will be their secondary aim this year as they look to secure a far healthier league position.

The team’s main problem last season was the defence which leaked 62 goals making it the worst in the entire league. Concerns were raised at the start of last season over the age of the back four with Robert Kovac and Christian Wörns, while experienced, certainly not as sprightly as they used to be.  

That area appears to been addressed with the club signing Neven Subotic from Klopp’s former club Mainz and Brazilian Felipe Santana from Figueirense. 19 year old Subotic is a Bosnian-born American U-20 international who Klopp knows very well, while 22 year old Santana at 6ft 4 will provide a definite presence at the heart of the BVB defence.  

Former German international Patrick Owomoyela has also been brought in from Werder Bremen to play at full back if his injury nightmare has finally cleared up. He is a ready-made replacement for Liverpool-bound Philipp Degen.

The club have also signed one of the star players of last season in Hungarian Tamas Hajnal from Karlsruhe. The reported fee of €1.3 million appears an absolute steal for a player who played a massive part in the success that Karlsruhe achieved last season following promotion to the Bundesliga.  

Looking through the rest of the squad, Jürgen Klopp has every reason to feel optimistic about the forthcoming season. The recent T-Home Super Cup win over Bayern, although a pre-season game, showed that they possess the quality to compete.
Keeper Roman Weidenfeller will face competition from Marc Ziegler who deputised so admirably last season. Alongside the newcomers in defence Klopp still has the energetic Brazilian Dedé, the experienced Robert Kovac, Croat Antonio Rukavina as well as Bayern Munich loanee Mats Hummels, of whom a lot is expected.

Whatever system Klopp chooses to employ, the midfield is well stocked with talented players to fill many roles. Pole ‘Kuba’ Blaszczykowski impressed during his first season at the club, while Sebastian Kehl and Florian Kringe remain at the club. The action-packed Tinga will run and run, while Tamas Hajnal will bring some guile. Turk Nuri Sahin, who holds the record as being the youngest ever Bundesliga player, returns after a loan spell in Holland with Feyenoord.

The goal threat will come from Swiss star Alexander Frei when he recovers from yet another injury, much sought-after Mladen Petric who scored 13 goals in his debut Bundesliga season, and Nelson Valdez. Then there is ‘super-sub’ Diego Klimowicz who can always be relied upon to make an impact from the bench.

All in all the Dortmund squad is packed with talented players, who have a lot to prove after the disappointments of last season. Whether they can live up to the pressure put on them by 80,000 demanding fans is the big question.

Coach: Jürgen Klopp

Stadium: Signal-Iduna Park (80,552)

2007/08 Position: 13th

2007/08 Record: P-34 W-10 D-10 L-14 F-50 A-62 Pts-40

Players In: Patrick Owomoyela (Werder Bremen), Neven Subotic (Mainz), Felipe Santana (Figueirense), Tamas Hajnal (Karlsruhe), Nuri Sahin (Feyenoord- loan return)

Players Out: Philipp Degen (Liverpool), Christian Wörns (retired), Steven Pienaar (Everton), Martin Amedick (Kaiserslautern), Markus Brzenska (Duisburg)

Possible Line-Up: Weidenfeller- Dede, Subotic, Hummels, Owomoyela- Tinga, Kehl, ‘Kuba’, Hajnal- Petric, Frei

Prognosis:

It surely can’t get any worse than last year could it?  Shoring up the defence is the main priority for Jürgen Klopp and the arrivals of Subotic and Felipe Santana will surely help.  Tamas Hajnal is another quality signing to add to a squad that on paper could do well this season.   

The club has everything going for it- a huge stadium, passionate fans, a talented trainer and a squad packed with internationals.  The task now is to mould a winning team.  Jürgen Klopp will be judged on the improvement he makes in comparison to last season, but as said earlier- the only way is up for Dortmund.  

Prediction: 8th
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 06:59
Friday, August 15
Bayern Munich 2
Hamburg SV 2 Final

Saturday, August 16
Arminia Bielefeld 2
Werder Bremen 2 Final

Bayer Leverkusen 2
Borussia Dortmund 3 Final

Energie Cottbus 0
TSG Hoffenheim 3 Final

Karlsruhe 1
VfL Bochum 0 Final

Schalke 04 3
Hannover 96 0 Final

VfL Wolfsburg 2
1. FC Köln 1 Final

Sunday, August 17
Borussia M'gladbach 1
VfB Stuttgart 3 Final

Eintracht Frankfurt 0
Hertha Berlin 2 Final

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 18-Aug-2008 at 07:02
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2008 at 07:58
I could only find Bayern Munich highlight so far.  I doubt that Hamburg will be as good as they were last season losing van der Vaart to Real Madrid but opening the season with 2:2 tie in Munich isn't that bad at all.  Bayern didn't bring Ribery or Toni(injuries?, Olympics? rest?), but Podolski and Schweinsteiger were lively.  I've been saying in the summer transfer thread, they don't need Toni.  I would trade Toni for Deco, Ballack, Pirlo or even Riquelme type of player for this Bayern squad any day.   Maybe Borowski can be that guy but right now he's coming off the bench for both Bayern and Germany.

Werder Bremen also tied with Arminia Bielefeld, 2:2.  No Diego, Olympics?  Diego means to Bremen more than Ribery means to Bayern at this point.   Rosenberg scored both goals though.  That's a good sign.  They are gonna need him more now Klasnic is gone.

Dortmund beat Leverkusen!   I think it was in Leverkusen too.   Leverkusen didn't have Bernd Schneider, their Diego.  Good win for Dortmund either way against a descent team.

Schalke beat Hannover 3:0  I have feeling Schalke and Kuranyi will have good season this year. I can see them in the second place in Bundesliga and quarterfinals in the Champs League.  i guess that's pretty much what they did last year.

Stuttgart also won.  Saw Gomez's goal.  Why couldn't he do that in Euro 08?  Nutmegging the keeper was maybe some little luck but the way he calmly trapped, shielded and turned was a nice center forward move. Remind me of one that Ibrahimovich did to Sergio Ramos on Euro 08.  Hilbert and Hitzleperger are so versatile.   Marica had a good goal too.  And perhaps most important Lehmann played well.  I like the new black uniform too.  Although it does remind me of Bayern Munich little too much.     

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 19:16
I will be cheering as usual for Schalke and Borussia D. Hope they will finish as they started. I'm happy for munichBig%20smile. The same wishes for them.

King Kang: You must be a sport journalist or at least You will become him in the future.Thumbs%20Up
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 19:53
Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

1. Bayern Munich
2. Schalke 04
3. Stuttgart
4. Werder Bremen
5. Hamburg
6. Dortmund
7. Leverkusen
8. Bochum
9. Hertha Berlin

Go over more in details as the season goes on but here is little Dortmund preview for Ulrich. 

if i were you i wouldn't publish that list though, i don't even know where to start my critics. bayern might but maybe not win again this season but this season is less likely than last one. but Schalke on 2nd? Confused i don't know what Bremen did to you to be on 4th spot but they are definatley ahead of Schalke and on Bayerns tail big time. Stuttgart on 3rd Smile well we'll see, they had a strong start which is uncommon, but it will be good if it remains like that, i think after the last season the position of our coach is maybe not very secure even if there was no critics but you'll never know in football and his position was never secure in the first place. the rest of the clubs on your list are not even worth a single comment. you've forgotten two clubs big time: Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim. yeah they are "new" names sort of but those two clubs, particularly Hoffenheim have the bayern factor, that is a uber-rich sponsor big time. Wolfsburg has a good coach that doesn't need much itnro and their cadre was well last year and with Volkswagen as sponsor they want to attack the UEFA Cup with flying colours. and Hoffenheim, they play their first ever season in the Bundesliga, just like they emerged from obscurity and had a sudden rise thanks to money money money from a generous sponsor. their story of sucess would be worth a movie but no it isn't, money don't shoot goals as they say but money gets you good players, and those shoot the goals, so yes, money does dominate the bUndesliga big time. this is also my big grudge this season and certainly i won't watch it as excited as i would otherwise. Hoffenheim, my new pet hate after Bayern will most likely establsih themselves in the Bundesliga just like Bayern did (remember it was money again, Munichs traditional major club is 1860 München, as the name suggests a club with tradition). Ok my rant is finished :P
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 19:56

I could only find Bayern Munich highlight so far.  I doubt that Hamburg will be as good as they were last season losing van der Vaart to Real Madrid but opening the season with 2:2 tie in Munich isn't that bad at all.  Bayern didn't bring Ribery or Toni(injuries?, Olympics? rest?), but Podolski and Schweinsteiger were lively.  I've been saying in the summer transfer thread, they don't need Toni.  I would trade Toni for Deco, Ballack, Pirlo or even Riquelme type of player for this Bayern squad any day.   Maybe Borowski can be that guy but right now he's coming off the bench for both Bayern and Germany.

Werder Bremen also tied with Arminia Bielefeld, 2:2.  No Diego, Olympics?  Diego means to Bremen more than Ribery means to Bayern at this point.   Rosenberg scored both goals though.  That's a good sign.  They are gonna need him more now Klasnic is gone.

Dortmund beat Leverkusen!   I think it was in Leverkusen too.   Leverkusen didn't have Bernd Schneider, their Diego.  Good win for Dortmund either way against a descent team.

Schalke beat Hannover 3:0  I have feeling Schalke and Kuranyi will have good season this year. I can see them in the second place in Bundesliga and quarterfinals in the Champs League.  i guess that's pretty much what they did last year.

Stuttgart also won.  Saw Gomez's goal.  Why couldn't he do that in Euro 08?  Nutmegging the keeper was maybe some little luck but the way he calmly trapped, shielded and turned was a nice center forward move. Remind me of one that Ibrahimovich did to Sergio Ramos on Euro 08.  Hilbert and Hitzleperger are so versatile.   Marica had a good goal too.  And perhaps most important Lehmann played well.  I like the new black uniform too.  Although it does remind me of Bayern Munich little too much.     

Bayern faces serious losses due to injuries, Olympcis only affected Bremen much, as you noted with Diego. yeah Stuttgart started well, with both Gomez and Marica scoring, thats promising. also lehman seems stable, too bad though the UEFA Cup qualification was missed, i hope that will be made up this season by thouroughly excellent performance in the Bundelsiga.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2008 at 22:55
Originally posted by Temujin

1. Bayern Munich
2. Schalke 04
3. Stuttgart
4. Werder Bremen
5. Hamburg
6. Dortmund
7. Leverkusen
8. Bochum
9. Hertha Berlin

if i were you i wouldn't publish that list though, i don't even know where to start my critics. bayern might but maybe not win again this season but this season is less likely than last one. but Schalke on 2nd? Confused i don't know what Bremen did to you to be on 4th spot but they are definatley ahead of Schalke and on Bayerns tail big time. Stuttgart on 3rd Smile well we'll see, they had a strong start which is uncommon, but it will be good if it remains like that, i think after the last season the position of our coach is maybe not very secure even if there was no critics but you'll never know in football and his position was never secure in the first place. the rest of the clubs on your list are not even worth a single comment. you've forgotten two clubs big time: Wolfsburg and Hoffenheim. yeah they are "new" names sort of but those two clubs, particularly Hoffenheim have the bayern factor, that is a uber-rich sponsor big time. Wolfsburg has a good coach that doesn't need much itnro and their cadre was well last year and with Volkswagen as sponsor they want to attack the UEFA Cup with flying colours. and Hoffenheim, they play their first ever season in the Bundesliga, just like they emerged from obscurity and had a sudden rise thanks to money money money from a generous sponsor. their story of sucess would be worth a movie but no it isn't, money don't shoot goals as they say but money gets you good players, and those shoot the goals, so yes, money does dominate the bUndesliga big time. this is also my big grudge this season and certainly i won't watch it as excited as i would otherwise. Hoffenheim, my new pet hate after Bayern will most likely establsih themselves in the Bundesliga just like Bayern did (remember it was money again, Munichs traditional major club is 1860 München, as the name suggests a club with tradition). Ok my rant is finished :P

I am actually feeling alright with my top 4 picks.Wink  I do think Schalke will be better.  Farfan and Engelaar are good pick ups.  And I have a strange feeling Kuranyi will have a great season and I don't even like the guy.  I like Rakitic and Rafinha's wing play too.  Ernst, Jermaine Jones, Altintop, Asamoah, Bordon can hold their own.  I thought last year's Champs League quarterfinal was more an fluke which it probably was but still I think it gave something to build on. 

But I do think I put Schalke above Bremen not necessarily Schalke will be better but Bremen will be worse than last year.  Losing Klasnic and Boroswki might not seem that big of loss but I think it will put more pressure on their forwards and central midfielders.  Frings and Bauman must stay healthy.  They did pick up Claudio Pizarro though.  I like him better than Kuranyi, least I used to.  But I don't think he will be that much better than Almeida and I don't think they should play together.

Stuttgart, I think they are top 3-4 team anyway, no matter what happened last season.  And I think Lehmann will be an improvement from whoever they had last season.  Boulahrouz is a good pick up also, another versatile ball handling defender who can play any position in the back even if just as a sub.  But what I look forward for Stuttgart is healthy Basturk playing up to what he's capable of.  Hey, Temujin what you think of Marica?  Is he a starter on this team? 

For me the hardest team to figure out right now is Hamburg.  How will they cope with losing van der Vaart.  Although they started out good with tying Bayern 2:2 in Munich but eventually they are gonna run out of ideas which van der Vaart used to supply.  I think I was generous placing them in the fifth but that's more to with lack of challengers on that spot.

And yes I totally forgot about Wolfsburg.  I think both Wolfsburg and Dortmund could pass Hamburg and fight for UEFA Cup spots.

And Tem, thanks for the infos on Hoffenheim.  Obviously they are out of my radar because they weren't in the top league last year?  When was last time they were?  But I will keep an eye on them now, for sure.  Perhaps this year's Karlsruhe? 

My picks revised

1. Bayern Munich
2. Schalke 04
3. Stuttgart
4. Werder Bremen
5. Dortmund
6. Hamburg
7. Leverkusen
8. Wolfsburg
9. Hertha Berlin
10. Bochum         
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 15:19
as i said before, Hoffenheim was never in the Bundesliga before, and iirc they only entered the 2nd Bundesliga for the first time last season, actually they themselves didn't anticipated this so soon already but it was their ultimate goal, and as i said before they have the money big time, eventually they could even make Bayern look poor (like Wolfsburg now tries to). this season is totally unrpedictable and no, Hoffenheim is not just another Karlsruhe, Karslruhe was lucky last season, Hoffenheim is not lucky, Hoffenheim has the budget of clubs like Frankfurt and Bochum combined just for comparison. they have come to stay and they most likely will, thats what pisses me off. imagine Stuttgart would get sponsored by the local automobile industry like VW does for Wolfsburg, i mean combine the money of Porsche and Mercedez alone, that would catapult Stuttgart in the upper stratas of the european football forever. it completely evades my mind why those combanies do not sponsor Stuttgart more, but on the other hand Stuttgart would then be just one of those asshole clubs like Bayern and Schalke.

but thats just one of the reasons i might be not into Bundesliga much this season. last season was pretty dissapointing. Bayern had shown its weakness on the international level big time, yet they still pretty much dominated the Bundesliga, so that has left me off a bit dissillusioned after the end of last season but it wasn't immediately obvious because of the distraction offered by the EC.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2008 at 08:10
Some big games this weekend, guys.   Dortmund vs Bayern, wow, Ulrich!  Bremen vs Schalke!  woooooo....  and  Stuttgart vs Leverkusen!

I'll be cheering for Dortmund, Bremen and Stuttgart.  But I will pick Bayern, Schalke and Stuttgart to win.  I hope I'm wrong on two out the three.    
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 18:40
Friday, August 22, 2008
Status Home Score Away VENUE (ATT.)
Final Hannover 96 0 - 0 Energie Cottbus AWD-Arena (36,000)
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Final TSG Hoffenheim 1 - 0 Borussia M'gladbach Carl-Benz-Stadion (26,300)
Final VfB Stuttgart 0 - 2 Bayer Leverkusen Mercedes-Benz Arena (45,000)
Final Hamburg SV 2 - 1 Karlsruhe HSH Nordbank Arena (50,637)
Final Borussia Dortmund 1 - 1 Bayern Munich Signal-Iduna-Park (80,552)
Final Werder Bremen 1 - 1 Schalke 04 Weserstadion (42,100)
Final Hertha Berlin 1 - 1 Arminia Bielefeld Olympiastadion (36,302)
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Final 1. FC Köln 1 - 1 Eintracht Frankfurt RheinEnergie Stadion (50,000)
Final VfL Bochum 2 - 2 VfL Wolfsburg rewirpowerSTADION (17,000)

Dortmund and Bayern tied, though it seems that Dortmund should have won.  Dortmund had a man advantage more than last hour of the game when von Bommel got kicked out.   From Dortmund point of view, a tie with Bayern is not a bad result at this point but this one they should have walked away with 3 points. 

Schalke and Bremen also tied which I would say is a win for Bremen since they were still missing Diego.  But they were at home too. So a tie sounds about right.

Most surprising result was probably Levekusen beating Stuttgart 2-0.  Oh is it gonna be another slow start for Stuttgart?  I don't get it.  They sat Basturk on the bench all game long.  Is he not fit or is he falling out of the starting lineup?  Tem?  Playing both Hilbert and Hitzlsperger as defensive mids?   Which I can see it working both are talented, versatile.  But who is the playmaker on this team?  Pardo?  Cacau?  But I still see Basturk as the Deco of this team.  Am I wrong on that?

And after two weeks, Hoffenheim is the only team with 6 points!  I guess my hat's off to Temujin again.  It's only after two games but it does seem like they are here to stay aren't they?   I doubted a little because their roster itself didn't impress me that much.  But we will see.  I still don't think they are ready to challenge a UEFA Cup spot though. 

Bochum and Wolfsburg tying 2:2, that must've been the game of the week, hah?  Both are good midlevel teams.   Perhaps Wolfsburg has more upside as far as resources like Tem said.  I can't see either of them in Champs League spots with current rosters though.

Next week match ups are not as exciting as this week.  Leverkusen and Hoffenheim grabs me most right now.  Other than that all the top teams got easy opponents.             
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 20:22
i am not yet really informed about what was going on during the summer break so give me some time. Stuttgart playing well one day and crap the next is not something new or surprising unfortunately. and don't say i didn't told you about Hoffenheim. it is still questionable where on the table they will end up but they certainly don't have to fight to stay in the Bundesliga. the official set goal for Wolfsburg is to win the UEFA Cup, as far as i know they haven't set any other goal yet for the future, they still need to struggle to establish them on the international scene and even Bayern last season didn't win the UEFA Cup so it's more about consolidation at the moment i guess, other than that they'll focus on the UEFA Cup most.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 21:03
Looking at the Wolfsburg roster, one guy sticks out to me most is of course a Brazilian Josue.  I don't remember when he got there.  It must've been last season or over the summer, hah?  A good player.  I remember him from Sao Paulo days.  I think Dunga wants him to be like Ze Roberto for Brazilian national team.  Perhaps that is a tall order for the youngster.  A holding mid, creative enough for some linking plays and contolling the tempo.  Would he be as good of defender or as effective out on the wings like Ze Roberto?  I doubt it.  But I have feeling he will have more offensive duties than deffensive duties for Wolfsburg than he has for Brazil.  A great pick up either way.  I would have wanted to see him in Bremen or Stuttgart though.  

I still don't see this squad better than the likes of.....  let's see......  Dortmund.   But I hear Dortmund is not focusing on UEFA Cup this season but rather improving their standing in Bundesliga.  Still I do have a big hope for Dortmund to make some big waves in UEFA Cup this season.  
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2008 at 21:35
other than Josue, Zaccardo and Barzagli both from Italy joined the defensive of Wolfsburg. i just noticed the other Brazilian (Juninho somehting?) is missing. Dortmunds cadre this season is pretty good actually and i predict Hamburg and Dortmund will change roles this time
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 00:37
Which provider do you have King? I got Dish, they better be all there ;). I have not had a chance to watch any games yet, been extremely busy. Hopefully by the weekend. 
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 18:52
I got dish too and still without Gol TV.  But fortunately I have a German friend(well, half German/half Italian) who gets Gol TV and I can go to sports bars too, though you have to fight for a TV and a table among the bar full of NFL/NCAA football fans.   Yeah, so it's not likely I can watch least a game or two of Bundesliga every week like I did last season.  But I will try to watch as much as I can for sure.  I still get some highlight/news kinda shows too. 
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 09:29
Hey King ,read today that Borussia Dortmund hired a corean player.
Young-Pyo Lee should be a role player and a backup for the currently injured Dede, was loan out from the Hotspurs.
Didn't know him before, do you?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 20:41
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Hey King ,read today that Borussia Dortmund hired a corean player.
Young-Pyo Lee should be a role player and a backup for the currently injured Dede, was loan out from the Hotspurs.
Didn't know him before, do you?

Awesomeness!  More reason for me to cheer for Dortmund this season.  Young Pyo Lee is a good player.  I'm gonna have to say he is the best Korean dribbler even if he's a defender.  Think of Korean Lahm.  

He was one of the best player for Korean team in 2002.  Hiddink liked him so much he took him and Ji Sung Park to PSV after the WC.  With PSV, not only they won the Eredivisie every year he was there they also went to the Champs League semifinal one year and almost beat AC Milan to go to the final.  I remember that semifinal very well, especially even Cafu had hard time defending him out on the wings.

With Tottenham he was big hit at first but they switched him to right back and he struggled.  He suffered some big injuries with Tottenham too. 

I don't think he is the same Young Pyo Lee that took PSV to the Champs League semifinal anymore, he is 31 and that was already 3-4 years ago, plus the injuries he suffered.  But I see why Dortmund picked him up if Dede is injured.  At this point I question his ability to shut down an opponent's winger defensively but as a wingback he can still run the offense like how Dede does for Dortmund.  And when Dede comes back, I think you can still play both together. 

When Hiddink was coaching the Korean team, he actually went with 3-5-2 formation and used him as more of a holding mid/winger, which I think is his best position.  Funny enouygh, one of the knock on him as wingback is that he tends to hold the ball little too long in the back.  Who does he think he is, a Brazilian?Big%20smile But in 4-4-2, he needs a defensive mid parter who stays home a lot so he can slip out the wings for offense, like Makalele or Gattuso type.  

I will tell you this, Ulrich.  There will be some moments this season that he will make you wonder why this guy isn't an world class wing attacker, but there will be also few moments you see him manhandled defensively against a physical attacker.  I just don't think he's an elite team starting wingback in defensive point of view but he is still an elite team starting wingback in offensive point of view.  I hope the rest of Dortmund defense is strong enough so he can get out more where you can see his skills. 

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 30-Aug-2008 at 22:59
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2008 at 19:55
Bremen (particularly Frings) sucked, Leverkusen is on a winning course, Stuttgart won again and Bayern too, for a change Tongue

Leverkusen - Hoffenheim was a rather good match, the result is a bit decieving as both clubs played a good offensive football and Hoffenheim was the less experienced.
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2008 at 14:46

Today, dear King Kang, Dortmund hosts Schalke. A match of a great brisance.

Nearby, in Cologne, the FC Köln faces to Bayern München. The matches are already running and i'm sitting in my workroom, the fireside is on, a coffee nearby,listen to WDR 2 livestream. The world is so beautyful.

I will report later on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>