Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beijing 2008 - Olympic Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beijing 2008 - Olympic Games
    Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 06:13
Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

Incredible finish at the Swimming 400m freestyle relay.  The French were talking mad trash before the match like they were gonna 'smash' the Americans.  Incredible race.  U.S. took the lead after Phelps obviously but the French took the lead and starting to run away I mean swim away with it and I think they had the lead up to maybe last 10-12 m or so, and it literally came down to the last stretch for the wall.  Both team shattered the world record.  This keeps Phelps' 8 golds dream alive.  Incredible.

Japan also won a gold in Swimming today in men's 100m breaststroke.  Of course, every time a Korean does something Japan gotta match it, or is it the other way around.  I never thought I would say this but in the spirit of Olympics, congrats to Japan!  CheersHugYing%20Yang

Oh...my...god.  That 4x100 relay was incredible.  Lezak was just out of this world, without his performance the french beat us, no question.  US sets a new record by nearly 4 seconds.Shocked  That was an amazing race; the 5th place team was Sweden, and they came under the old record too!  Over half the field finished below the old record time.  That was exciting stuff.  How high will Phelps go...

I liked the sportsmanship during the medal ceremony, Phelps just makes it easier and easier to root for him.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 06:38
That was UNBELEIVABLE!
What is the officer problem?
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 09:48
Boy, those Korean archers are phenomenal! I sure want them to be in my model medieval army.

Al-Jassas
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 16:02
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Boy, those Korean archers are phenomenal! I sure want them to be in my model medieval army.

Al-Jassas

Thanks, Al-Jassas!  
ROK%20men%20set%20Olympic%20record%20en%20route%20to%20fourth%20Team%20gold

The Korean men are not as dominant as the women but they did well enough set the new Olympic record.   Korean women?  Not only they won every golds last Olympics, they hold the world records in every distance.  A total domination.  
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 16:27
Man i missed the archery? Thats a bummer
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 16:43
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Man i missed the archery? Thats a bummer

Don't worry, Ponce.  They only played team competitions so far.  Individual competitions will start today.  I don't know about the U.S TV coverage though.  I'm hoping the Korean girls to sweep all three medals just like the U.S. women's fencing team.
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 16:56
Originally posted by Justinian

I liked the sportsmanship during the medal ceremony, Phelps just makes it easier and easier to root for him.

Its hard to cheer for him knowing he gets a million dollars as an incentive if he wins 8 golds. He can have 7 but I hope some no name, low profile country, swimmer beats him in one. In fact the amount of money the U.S. and especially the Chinese dump into their athletics really ruins the Olympic spirit for me. The greatest joy in the Olympics is to see the unknown man or women win against all odds. The way business is run at the Olympics nowadays those acts will occur less and less.

I find myself cheering for the underdog more then ever in these Olympics. Preferably ones that aren't doped up or have been bred into their sport since the age of 5.

Edited by Gundamor - 11-Aug-2008 at 16:57
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 17:08

Heelo king kang

Well to be honest, the Italians were quite good, commiserations Leo, had it not been for the last archer's mistake they would have actually won. i didn't see the women but I am not surprised if they are as good as the men.

Al-Jassas
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 18:02
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Heelo king kang

Well to be honest, the Italians were quite good, commiserations Leo, had it not been for the last archer's mistake they would have actually won. i didn't see the women but I am not surprised if they are as good as the men.

Al-Jassas

You are right Al Jassas.  Like I said in the previous post the Korean men are not as dominant as the Korean women.  But collectively they were good enough to win the Gold.  But in individual the Koreans will have harder time against China, U.S., Austrailia and Italy.

Here is the total medal counts in Olympic Archery since 1972 Munish when Archery is reintroduced to Olymics and standardized.

Rank  Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 South%20Korea South Korea 15 7 4 26
2 United%20States United States 8 3 2 13
3 Soviet%20Union Soviet Union 1 3 3 7
4 Italy Italy 1 1 3 5
5 Finland Finland 1 1 2 4
6 Australia Australia 1 0 1 2
7 France France 1 0 0 1
Spain Spain 1 0 0 1
9 China China 0 4 0 4
10 Japan Japan 0 2 1 3
11 Sweden Sweden 0 2 0 2
12 Ukraine Ukraine 0 1 2 3
13 Chinese%20Taipei Chinese Taipei 0 1 1 2
Germany Germany 0 1 1 2
Poland Poland 0 1 1 2
16 Indonesia Indonesia 0 1 0 1
17 Great%20Britain Great Britain 0 0 4 4
18 Unified%20Team Unified Team 0 0 2 2
19 Netherlands Netherlands 0 0 1 1
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 18:09

Iran will start tomorrow, the Iranian sport is wrestling.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 18:15
I have to say I don't remember Britain doing this well so early. At least the swimming shows we don't only win things that you do sitting down.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 18:24
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Iran will start tomorrow, the Iranian sport is wrestling.

I wish them the best, Cyrus!   Just for you, I'll cheer for them if I get to see them play.  it looks like they do well in Weightlifting and Taekwondo, also.  Well, I can't cheer for Iran if they are going against the Koreans in Taekwondo, but other than that......

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 11-Aug-2008 at 18:47
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 18:31
Originally posted by gcle2003

I have to say I don't remember Britain doing this well so early. At least the swimming shows we don't only win things that you do sitting down.

What 'sitting down' sports Britain's good at?  Just curious.....   Rowing?  Shooting?  Don't they have some shooting events they are sitting down?   Cycling could be a sitting down sport I suppose.  In that case Equestrian too.  I can see Britain being good at all of the above actually.  

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 11-Aug-2008 at 18:49
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 18:43
Ah Gholamreza Takhti! hasn't there been any successor for that great guy in Iran?

Al-Jassas
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 20:02

What 'sitting down' sports Britain's good at?  Just curious.....   Rowing?  Shooting?  Don't they have some shooting events they are sitting down?   Cycling could be a sitting down sport I suppose.  In that case Equestrian too.  I can see Britain being good at all of the above actually.  
The one you're overlooking is yachting, which is also a British strength (IIRC we were the best yachting country at Athens). I seem to remember it was a German who jibed (with some reason) that the British could only win sitting down.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 22:41

The one you're overlooking is yachting, which is also a British strength (IIRC we were the best yachting country at Athens). I seem to remember it was a German who jibed (with some reason) that the British could only win sitting down.

How couldI have listd Rowing and not think of Yachting?  I don't know.   But it sems like that German guy is on to something here, hah?

Here are some top British medal mines
Sport Gold Silver Bronze Total
Athletics 48 76 60 184
Rowing 22 18 8 48
Sailing 20 13 10 43
Tennis 15 13 12 40
Swimming 13 20 26 59
Boxing 13 11 21 45
Shooting 12 15 16 43
Cycling 10 20 19 49
Equestrian 6 9 10 25
Figure skating 5 3 7 15
Water polo 4 0 0 4
Wrestling 3 4 10 17
Field hockey 3 2 5 10
Football 3 0 0 3
Polo 2 3 1 6
Archery 2 2 5 9
Rackets 2 2 3 7
Tug of war 2 2 1 5

Tug of War?  That must've been really long time ago.  For Britain sake they should bring back the Tug of War!

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 02:37
Azerbaijan won its first Gold in Olympics!  Congrats to Azerbaijan!Thumbs%20UpCheersClap

It actually came in expense of the Koreans but still the first Gold for a nation is something special.   I bet this guy will never have to pay for drinks at bars rest of his life!  Or cab fares, dry cleaning, barbershop, ahh the amenities of being a national hero for the rest your life!

Photos:%20Mammadli%20of%20Azerbaijan%20wins%20Mens%2073kg%20Judo%20gold
(L-R) Kichun Wang, Elnur Mammadli, Rasul Boqiev and Leandro Guilheiro (Photo credit: Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)

The Men's 73kg Judo event was held at the University of Science and Technology Beijing Gymnasium on day three of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games on August 11, 2008, in Beijing, China. Elnur Mammadli of Azerbaijan beat Wang Kichun of the Republic of Korea by ippon to take the gold medal. The bronze medal was shared by Rasul Boqiev of Tajikistan and Leandro Guilheiro of Brazil. http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/sports/headlines/judo/n214530036.shtml   

Edited by King Kang of Mu - 12-Aug-2008 at 02:44
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 07:14

In men's Greco-Roman 55kg, the Russian wrestler Nazyr Manikiev defeated Hamid Soryan, the winner of gold medal at the last three world championships! Cry

wish them the best, Cyrus!   Just for you, I'll cheer for them if I get to see them play.  it looks like they do well in Weightlifting and Taekwondo, also.  Well, I can't cheer for Iran if they are going against the Koreans in Taekwondo, but other than that......
It seems this Olympics is not good for Iran, we hoped in Judo, no Medal yet!!

Ah Gholamreza Takhti! hasn't there been any successor for that great guy in Iran?
Some Iranian wrestlers have worked better than him but he is the most famous one.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 13:57

How couldI have listd Rowing and not think of Yachting?  I don't know.   But it sems like that German guy is on to something here, hah?

And we just picked up a silver in canoeing...which I forgot too.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 17:14
Originally posted by Justinian

Oh...my...god.  That 4x100 relay was incredible.  Lezak was just out of this world, without his performance the french beat us, no question.  US sets a new record by nearly 4 seconds.Shocked  That was an amazing race; the 5th place team was Sweden, and they came under the old record too!  Over half the field finished below the old record time.  That was exciting stuff.  How high will Phelps go...

Yes, incredible, unbelievable....they've blown the old records away, they left the even those doping records from the GDR and the Soviet Union from the 70th and 80th far behind them and that OF COURSE without any doping. This games show again, perhaps more than ever NO DOPE, NO HOPE. Sorry for it, I am a sport fanatic too. But how can I cheer to athletes nowadays? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>