Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

need advice about martial arts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need advice about martial arts
    Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 17:02
Originally posted by Husaria

I am glad we understand each other.If thats the case i would go with Muay thai and Judo, Muay thai for the clinch which turns up alot in the uglyness of street fights and judo for nice throws on cement using the clothing as handlesBig%20smile

Good choices indeed. Smile
Σαυρομάτης
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 23:50
Hmm. Personally I'd take a combination of boxing (for obvious reasons), capoeira (for sheer physical conditioning and some take-downs, and so I could throw a powerful kick--given the opportunity) and Silat.

Why settle for two?

Edited by TheARRGH - 19-Nov-2008 at 01:07
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 00:01
Muay Thai all the way - no other choice for me.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 01:00
I have some training in full contact, so I recommend it. Kendo in a good choice, too.   
Anfører
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 01:10
I just thought of something.

Parkour.

It's not a martial art per se, but given how extremely important mobility is in a dangerous situation--both maneuvering during the conflict and in disengaging from it--parkour could be a really good choice. (If not as a straight self-defense practice).

It's physically challenging, very fun, doesn't involve getting beaten up, and useful.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 01:24
Batu you might want to try ARMA or kenpo which I highly reccomend

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2008 at 16:17
IMO Chinese Sanshou/Sanda (which is actually a Chinese variation of Thai boxing with the emphasize of throwing techinques) is also very effective.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 19-Nov-2008 at 16:18
Σαυρομάτης
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 01:05
Wow that looks very impressive hahah almost like a wrestling/muay thai hybrid.
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons."
-Russian military doctrine.
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 22:23
sanda looks very dangerous.you can even break your neck.see ,sometimes you gotta stay away from sports to be healthy.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 23:05
Any stand up grappling sport such as judo,wrestling or what ever has a risk of breaking your neck but i don't care if we stayed away from anything that had a risk life would'nt be worth living.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2008 at 23:36
Batu if you're afraid to get heart practical MAs aren't for you. Of course you can easily break you leg, neck, arm or get you head and brains damaged when you practice any form of wrestling, boxing, kick boxing etc. You'll never be able to eliminate the risk for 100%. Almost all the guys who practice boxing have their noses broken. A lot of wrestlers have differend kinds of injures. I have a serious knee injury after practicing judo for many years.

Perhaps aikido would be the best for you.
Σαυρομάτης
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2008 at 00:28
Originally posted by Sarmat12

I have a serious knee injury after practicing judo for many years.

Have you fought against Vladimir Putin?
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2008 at 01:23
LOL
Obviously, not. Otherwise I would be in some other place instead of chilling out with you here guys.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 21-Nov-2008 at 01:28
Σαυρομάτης
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2008 at 03:40
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Batu if you're afraid to get heart practical MAs aren't for you. Of course you can easily break you leg, neck, arm or get you head and brains damaged when you practice any form of wrestling, boxing, kick boxing etc. You'll never be able to eliminate the risk for 100%. Almost all the guys who practice boxing have their noses broken. A lot of wrestlers have differend kinds of injures. I have a serious knee injury after practicing judo for many years.

Perhaps aikido would be the best for you.

I have had the same problem, knee injury, when I used to practice full-contact karate, but I love full-contact. It's really hard to avoid injuries when you are practicing martial arts.
Anfører
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2009 at 23:45
I am doing sanda Smile And I like it.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
Husaria View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Husaria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 00:04
Good for you, glad to see you found what you like.
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 03:20
I'm doing Traditional Tae Kwon Do right now, but i have a question. Is taekwondo really practical for real life use or is it just for show? I know its great for cardio-fitness...but seriously which martial art is really used for practical selfdefence and not for attractive demonstration?
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 03:26
Originally posted by Batu

I am doing sanda Smile And I like it.

Good choice.
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 03:29
Originally posted by Jallaludin Akbar

I'm doing Traditional Tae Kwon Do right now, but i have a question. Is taekwondo really practical for real life use or is it just for show? I know its great for cardio-fitness...but seriously which martial art is really used for practical selfdefence and not for attractive demonstration?

No, it's not practical.

Muay Thai and boxing are very useful in real life.
Σαυρομάτης
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 15:51
I had 2 last choices; ,boxing,sanda
Boxing is probably the most practical one,but I didnt go for that becouse it lacks creativity;there are only a few moves.
Sanda is by the way,really entertaining. The wrestling part sometimes gets boring but still;I had to go for something before I get old Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>