Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Try and sell your favorite TV show to us.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Try and sell your favorite TV show to us.
    Posted: 30-Jul-2008 at 23:27
What I mean is, try and market it to other people so perhaps they might become intrigued and watch it as well. In order to do so describe the basic plot and why you think its so intriguing that I should take out 30mins-1hr of my day to watch it. Is it hilarious? Is it dramatic? What of the acting and writing?

Ill begin. I saw this show a few months back and I completely fell in love with it. Although its over now its still has been in my mind.

DEATH NOTE

The show is a psychological/supernatural thriller that was originally a manga(comicbook) in Japan. The show was only 37 episodes long before it finished and has been dubbed in numerous languages although I still prefer to hear the Japanese voice acting. The English subbed episodes can easily be found online through google.

The story follows Light Yagami who falls upon a notebook that has the power the kill people simply by inserting their full name while thinking of their face. The notebook is dropped on earth by a bored "Shinigami"(Grim Reaper or God of Death) who wishes to see what a human would do with it. Light is a genius who is bored aswell but soon finds a calling for himself. With the book he wishes to cleanse the world of all the criminals and rotten people and give birth to a new society free from crime and war. Very quickly this power makes him go one step further: through this book he begins to harbor divine pretensions. In the story, the book kills by heart attack if just the name is put in, but the victim can also be manipulated if a description of the death is given within 40 secs of writing the name. There are various other rules but Id rather not give away everything.

As more and more criminals begin to fall(almost all through heart attacks) the worlds governments become desperate to catch this apparent "mass murderer" in history and hire what they consider the best private detective in the world, a man known simply by the name of "L". The show quickly becomes a cat and mouse game between the two figures as L makes the best possible use of all the available info(where this event first happened) to try and track down Light.

I loved the show for the simple reason that its impossible to stamp anyone with the "evil"/"good" title. Both Light and L see themselves as the embodiment of justice and the show succeeds in splitting viewers between the two men. The show constantly brings up the fact that crime has gone down significantly since this invisible executioner has come about, dubbed "Kira"(Japanese pronunciation of the English "Killer") by the people, yet often the family ties and character of those killed are shown for the very purpose of making us say "did he really deserve it? What about his son?". The cat-and-mouse game between Kira/Light and "L"(soon called Ryuzaki, the Japanese pronunciation of the English letter "L") is done extremely well and illustrates the genius of these two figures. The show never makes clear who will win. The deterioration of our protagonist is also extremely interesting to watch since he stops just killing the wicked and also start to kill those who become too big of a threat, such as investigators whose personal lives are shown to us on occasion.

Here is a clip(dont read comments as they contain numerous spoilers): http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T7qHpsCrVEw&feature=related

Anyway, this was mine. You guys go now!
 Post Reply Post Reply