Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Generals or Commanders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Generals or Commanders
    Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 10:57

Bah. Albert Speer was better than Washington. Then again, Washington never published a book, let alone ran an entire army from Berlin, did he?

Speer was the first true Logistics expert.

Edited by SovietJesus
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 17:08

Nation Leaders:

Napoleon Bonaparte

Gaius Julius Caesar

Hannibal

Ghengis Khan

Atilla the Hun

Alexander the Great

TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 10:13
Who was Hannibal? I don't remember who he was, Alexander and Atilla keep on coming to mind.
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Sep-2004 at 22:03
Hannibal was the guy from Carthage who pretty much ran free in Italy, basically destroying everything he found. He's the guy that had all the elephants go through the Alps, and lost most of them, too.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 05:08
admiral
yi sun shin
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 13:10

Washington was not tactically a good General. True, he beat up the bunch of drunk Hessians and their even more drunken leader (who recieved a letter from a loyalist that the attack was coming, but pocketed it,), but he was much more of a strategician. He managed to keep the morale up, conduct effective retreat/rout when his forces were defeated so that they could regroup later and fight again.

But he was doubtlessly a good leader. Americans would not have got their independence without his leadership, and even then they would be bunch of sqabbling states if he did not unite them.

By the way Dumorez was a traitor. He defected to the Allies, and so did Lafayette the Aristoc-Rat.

Now, on to my list of good generals:

Genghis Khan, Yi Sunshin, Uljimunduk, Themosticles, Heinz Guderian, Alexander the Great, Thutmose III.

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 06:55

who can forget Kazm Karabekir Pasha?

he is my fav. general...

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 12:49

Originally posted by TMPikachu

Who was Hannibal? I don't remember who he was, Alexander and Atilla keep on coming to mind.

Col. Hannibal Smith, head of the A-team:

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 03:27
Mongol Generals Subedei & Jebe - for acomplishing the only successful invasion of Russia in the dead of winter.

Napoleon I, Emperor of the French- for Rivoli, Marengo, The Pyramids, Ulm, Austerlitz, Jena, Friedland, etc., etc.

William Techumseh Sherman- for bringing terror into the hearts of the "saucy" rebel southern confederacy.

British commanders like "Chinese" Gordon, T.E. Lawrence, and Orde Windgate- for being such eccentric "damn your eyes" nutcases.

Boer commanders like Piet Cronje, De la Rey, and Louis Botha- for leading Boer commando to such effect against British arrogance.

Abd El Krim- for inflicting the devastating Spanish defeats at Tetuan and Xauen.

Von Lettow und Vorbeck- legendary World War I commander of Imperial German forces in East Africa.

Kapitan zur see Karl Muller- skipper of the German commerce raider SMS Emden

Vo Nguyen Giap, Lin Piao, Leon Trotsky- even though they were commies.

Antonio Luna- Filipino General during the Philippine-American War.

Edited by etajima
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 06:34
Genghis Khan and Shaka were great generals too...
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 17:21
Jeb Stuart, who commands best while drunk.
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 17:37

Originally posted by TMPikachu

Jeb Stuart, who commands best while drunk.

James Ewel Brown Sturat ?

Biography

He is also one of my favourit..

TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 17:40

Yup. I've been to the park/reservior where he lead his raiders on... well, raids, against Union forces.

A local higschool is named after him, Jeb Stuart Highschool, mascot is the Raiders.

Almost got changed to Peacevalley

Peacevalley Raiders does have a nice ring to it though

Edited by TMPikachu
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 16:05
Peacevalley Raiders????? Thats AWESOME
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 07:32
Genghis Khan, Hannibal, Aleric, Tamerlane
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 07:33
Somebody pick a couple of the most chosen generals/leaders and make a poll for them.  I'm too lazy to do it myself.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 11:18

Alexander

Ataturk

Selim I

Alp Arslan

Timur

Patton

Edited by Seko
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 13:05
Polls here are horrible because people can vote multiple times.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 03:28
Favourite Military leaders:

1. Chengiz Khan (The ultimate warrior. Spelt CORRECTLY!)

2. Sandracottus (Chandragupta Maurya. Defeated Nictator's Greek/Macedonian armies & united 75% of S Asia for the 1st time under 1 Empire)

3. Atilla the Hun (Nearly desroyed the Western Roman Empire YAY!, stopped bcoz pope threatened to rape his children if he didn't).

4.  Robert  de Bruce (Scottish king defeated the larger armies of Edward the 2nd at Bannockburn. Originator of famous kids tale of the persistent spider in the cave.)

6. Chhhatrapati Shivaji Bhonsle: 1st Maratha king. Lived and breathed war. Tactical genius who mastered the art of guerrila warfare in the western ghats USING CAVALRY. Defeated the  main force of the Mughal army  and their mercenaries several times, despite being vastly outnumbered and outgunned every time).

6.  Tipu Sultan, son of Haider Ali:=18th Cent S Indian Warlord who might have succeeded in throwing the Poms out (with a little help from Bonaparte) were it not for a betrayal by one of his key generals.

7. Lord Horatio Nelson: A pom, I know, but he was a smart dude and had balls. Wom battle of Traflagar & died there.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 16:15
My favorite commanders
 Edward I Plantagenet (Longshanks)
 Gustavus Adolphus of Sveden
  William Tecumseh Sherman
  James Longstreed
  Jan Karol Chodkiewicz
  Nathan Bedford Forest
  Erwin Rommel
  Erich von Mainstain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>