Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Generals or Commanders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Generals or Commanders
    Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 13:57

Moctezuma Ilhuicamina I

Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon.

Jose Porfirio Diaz Mori.

Ignacio Zaragoza.

Doroteo Arango a.k.a Pancho Villa.

Emiliano Zapata

Ernesto Guevara a.k.a El Che

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 16:03

warhead, my knowledge on Chinese history is limited

Sorry TJK, a mis-understanding

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 19:48

Philip II of Macedon

Alexander The Great Macedonian

Edited by Macedonian
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 10:26

Yes, those Pre-Slavic Balkanic Macedons who disappered into history and have nothing to do with modern Slavic Macedonians  

Anyway, modern Macedonia (FYROM) isn't even the land of Alexandros III, historical Macedonia is located in Northern Greece (that's why those Greeks forced the Macedonian Republic to change it's name to an absurb thing like Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia - what a useless and pointless thing...)

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 04:17
1.Cyrus the Great*********************************
2.Shapu I
3.Anoushirvan
4.Darius the Great
5.Julius Caesar
6.Napoleon
7.Harpagus
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 05:45

Morelos?  I thought he died without dealing much damage to spaniards...

Grrr..
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 05:46

1. Jeremi Wisniowiecki

2. Jerzy Lubomirsky

3. Hannibal

4. Trajan

5. Hadrian

6. Arnoldo de Tortoga

7. Caesar

8. Jan II Kazimierz

9. Gustaw IV

10. Fredeirck I Barbarossa

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 09:40

General Montgomery( I am sorry I do not know his name)

Bernard Montgomerry

Mustafa Kemal was a very successfull general,if you know his successes in Gallipoli,Eastern Anatolia,Syria and Independence War against Greeks.

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 09:43

I forgot to post mines:

Alp Arslan

Sultan Mehmd II

Sultan Selim I

Mustafa Kemal

Montgomerry

Eisenhower

Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 17:05
Turkey was fighting for her independence from the Greeks? That doesn't seem right.

Dari is a pimp master
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 17:29

As a sidenote, are there any relatively obscure generals you like?

I like Kitchner and Lautey because they were some of the only Europeans able to defeat indigenous guerrillas.

Member of IAEA
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 19:22

thats a very good question I think!

Subedei is my favorite beut hes pretty obscire out of central Asia/

Id say the best American commander ever was Winfiled Scott, and he doent get much fame either.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 20:38
Originally posted by Genghis

I like Kitchner and Lautey because they were some of the only Europeans able to defeat indigenous guerrillas.

I'll plunge deep into the depths of obscurity with this list of some of my favorite US Civil War generals:

Joseph Robert Davis(yes, of relation to the president), Jesse Johnson Finley(shame he was done after Jonesboro), and George Earl Maney(though Im left wondering if he was releived in 1864...).

Edited by Lannes
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 15:37
Originally posted by Lannes

Originally posted by Genghis

I'll plunge deep into the depths of obscurity with this list of some of my favorite US Civil War generals:

Joseph Robert Davis(yes, of relation to the president), Jesse Johnson Finley(shame he was done after Jonesboro), and George Earl Maney(though Im left wondering if he was releived in 1864...).

Where all of those Confederate generals?  BTW, I'm REALLY into the Civil War, so pm me sometime so we can talk.

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 16:07

Originally posted by King Jeff 2

Where all of those Confederate generals?

Yes.

BTW, I'm REALLY into the Civil War, so pm me sometime so we can talk.

Sure thing.  If you ever want to discuss the Civil War with me, feel free to do so via PM or on the Imperial Age board.

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 18:11
Originally posted by demon

Morelos?  I thought he died without dealing much damage to spaniards...

Morelos inflicted too much damage to the spaniards during 3 years ( 1812-1815 ).

He took control of the Bajio and southern mexican pacific ( Cuautla, Cuernavaca, Valladolid and Acapulco ).

As he read of the guerilla leader's brilliant campaigns, the French Emperor, Napoleon Bonaparte said," With three such men as Jose Morelos, I could conquer the world."

sources: http://www.mecha.pdx.edu/Septiembre.html

http://www.go2mexico.com/?page=mexico_articles/el_grito.php

He set up the First Mexican Congress and promulgated the future bases for the mexican constitution of 1824.

He was so hated that his body after executed was carried to Spain to cut his memory. Morelos body was delivered back to Mexico till 1910 during the centenial celebrations of the Independence.

Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 00:38

More info about Morelos:

(1765-1815)

Morelos, detail of a portrait by an unknown artist, 19th century

Jos Mara Morelos y Pavn was born in the city of Valladolid (now Morelia) in 1765. During his youth, he was a student of Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla at the San Nicols College, where Hidalgo was rector. After finishing his studies, he was ordained as a priest and became Parish Priest of Curcuaro. He later moved to Nicuptaro; both of these places are in Guanajuato.

As the insurgent troops led by Hidalgo marched fearlessly towards Valladolid after taking Guanajuato, they stopped at the small village known as Charo, where Morelos introduced himself to his old teacher, and offered his services and life to the Independence struggle. Hidalgo placed him at the head of an army; he gave him the rank of colonel and told him to spread the revolution southwards.

source:http://www.elbalero.gob.mx/pages_kids/history/biograp hies/biomorelos_kids.html

Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon could scarcely walk because of the shackles on his legs. His eyes were bandaged with a white handkerchief. The Royalist commander made a mark on the ground with his sword and ordered the prisoner placed there.

"Must I kneel here?" Morelos asked.

Father Salazar, who had heard the victim's final confession moments before, answered, "Yes, here."

Morelos knelt. Just a few weeks earlier, the liberal priest had ruled the roost in Southwest Mexico. It was he who put Royalists to death, not the other way around. A key player in Mexico's revolutionary war against Spain, he was a brilliant leader who won many battles. It was Morelos who called Mexico's first Congress and issued its first constitution.

When government forces surprised Morelos and his troops, the priest bravely allowed himself to be captured so that other revolutionary leaders could escape. Jose was tried before the inquisition and removed from the priesthood with degrading ceremonies. Among the accusations against him was heresy. The churchmen declared that Jose was a heretic (one who believes false doctrine), an apostate (one who falls away from the truth), an atheist, a materialist, a Deist (one who believes in an impersonal, distant God but not Christ), a libertine (he had three children out of wedlock), a vile seducer, a hypocrite and a traitor. Although Jose andthe revolutionaries had declared that Catholicism was to be the only religion permitted in their new nation, he was declared an implacable enemy of Christianity.

The government of Mexico had no intention, however, of showing mercy to such a trouble-maker. Moreloss explanations did not go over well. He said that he did not consider King Ferdinand VII the true king of Mexico, since Ferdinand had been a captive in France under Napoleon and had acted as a puppet of the French. The judges sentenced him to death. Morelos was blindfolded and shackled on this day, December 22, 1815.

He knelt down as ordered. Raising his head in prayer he said: "Lord, you know if I have done well; if ill, I implore your infinite mercy."

At the officer's command, the troops fired. Morelos crumpled forward under the impact of four bullets. But the rebel priest was not dead. The officer had to order a second volley. As the second blast of lead slammed into him, Morelos finally died.

When Mexico gained its independence, it named a state for him and his remains were returned to Mexico from Spain in 1910, during the centennial anniversary of Mexicos Independence and where placed in the Cathedral at Mexico City.

In 1828, his birthplace, Valladolid, was renamed Morelia, and in 1869, Benito Jurez decreed the creation of the state bearing his name.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 02:09

Favourite Emperors:Li Shimin, Kangxi, Mao Dun Chang Yu, Chingghis Kha'an, Mughan Khaghan, Liu Xiu, Liu Che, Khapagan Khaghan and Sulu Khaghan.

Favourite Generalsue Rengui, Guo Ziyi, Yue Fei, Huo Qubing, Ban Chao, Li Jing, Su Dingfang, Weichi Jingde, Qin Shubao, Yang Ye, Di Qing, Li Yuanba, Cheng Yaojing, Hou Junji, Han Xin, Xu Da, Guan Yu, Wei Qing, Li Guang, Li Guangbi, Li Keyong, Han Shizhong, Zhang Shijie, Yuan Chonghuan, Nien Gengyao, Shi Dakai, Fei Xingjian, Gao Xianzhi, Ulchi Mundok, Subotai, Muquali, Jebe, Wanyan Wushu.

Favourite Admirals:Liu Rengui, Zheng He, Yi Shunsin.   

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 11:01

For me, the best is Timur.

After him, there are: Babur, Napoleon, Shapur, Mahmud of Ghazni, Ban Chao, Subota and Djebe, Bayezid I, BayBars, Cyrus II, Hannibal.

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 15:41

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Mustafa Kemal was a very successfull general,if you know his successes in Gallipoli,Eastern Anatolia,Syria and Independence War against Greeks.

Ok, he was the most succesful Turkish commander during WWI (and the war following that); but when you compare other commanders such as Kl Tigin, Sube'etai Ba'atur, Chinggis Kha'an, Ban Chao or Huo Qubing, Alexandros III, Traianvs, etc with him, you see that Atatrk's accomplishments were quiet minor.

Steppes History Forum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>