Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blunders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is the biggest military blunder
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [17.24%]
2 [6.90%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [20.69%]
3 [10.34%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.45%]
5 [17.24%]
6 [20.69%]
1 [3.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blunders
    Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 14:47
Have at it Folks.
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 15:15
For Pearl Habour, do you mean a disaster for America or Japan.  I could see how it was a disaster for both but which do you mean?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 15:25
My intention is the blunder made by Japanese forces in attcking Pearl Harbor, which inevitably led to their downfall. 
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 15:34
I go for ajn jalut because the mongols were outnumbered,outmanuevered and their leader put to sword(Kitboga).They were utterly crushed.
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 06:23

I thought that Pearl Harbour was a military succes for Japanese. Americans were totally humiliated. It's easy to say afterwards that it led to their downfall but the battle itself was well organised and fought. Later military disasters led to their defeat and certainly not Pearl Harbour.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 14:40
the maginot line, more proof that in the 20th century France has always been one step behind militarily.  In WW1 they attacked like it was the 19th century, in ww2 they sat ont heir butt and where convinced to fight defensively....etc
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2005 at 07:37

Manzikert.

Single most important event that ultimately led to the 1st Crusade, IMO.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2005 at 10:53
On my opinion manzikert was not really a blunder,for diogenes lost because of misfortune.
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2005 at 15:51

Originally posted by aknc

On my opinion manzikert was not really a blunder,for diogenes lost because of misfortune.

Indeed--having his Turkish light horse change sides right at the onset of the engagement, and having his Norman mercs leaving him high n' dry at the end was certainly a misfortune...

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2005 at 22:31
stalingrad
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 08:13
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Originally posted by aknc

Indeed--having his Turkish light horse change sides right at the onset of the engagement, and having his Norman mercs leaving him high n' dry at the end was certainly a misfortune...

Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 13:01
The second siege of Vienna(1683)?
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 22:13

Out of this list, I vote Custer.  Splitting your force, which is a no no in generalship 101, and then poor reconiasance missing the fact that the enemy force is 10 times your size, AND leaving your machine guns behind...oops.

Also, Teutebourg Forest.  Breaking formation thus losing your primae advantage and marching into an ambush...bigger oops.

Also, Pickett's Charge, running across a what was it, 200 yard field at a huge, well entrenched enemy...REALLY BIG OOPS!

Note on Mazinkert, the Byzantine Army withdrew largely intact, as I understand it.  That could be considered a draw.  The blunder was calling the West for help.

[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Tlaloc View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Tlaloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 22:50
I fail to see the importance of Ain Jalut. The votes should go hand in hand with the context of the defeat with eventual consequences.

The Mongols were as large as they'd ever get at this point, and any serious expansion was at an end. As such, Ain Jalut didn't really change anything, it was simply a defeat.

@ Manzikert, the various forces of the Byzantines might have changed sides, but Diogenes was stubborn and inexperienced in the battle, making blunder upon blunder in formation and attack.

Pearl Harbour..the Japanese were doomed either way. Even had Pearl Harbour been a spectacular victory for them, the industrial capacity of the US would have soon brought back a stronger fleet and crushed the Japanese anyways.

Therefore..I'd have to say Stalingrad. Losing hundreds of thousands to casualties and injuries, and taking up all that time while Leningrad resisted for three years and the troops were badly needed on other fronts did the Germans in.
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 22:53
 The Maginot line. The French had the capability to put up at least some sort of fight, if they listened to De Gaulle about tanks. And actually built the lines to cover Belgium. And not put their worst troops on the most undeffended spots.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 01:56
French and the Maginot line and Stalingrad were hte biggest blunders i think.

Pearl harbor was not a failure....it was a success. The Failure was that the Japanese failed to ralize that the naval war was going to be won with Carriers and not with massive battleships as had been done in the past.
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 02:12

Originally posted by Illuminati

Pearl harbor was not a failure....it was a success. The Failure was that the Japanese failed to ralize that the naval war was going to be won with Carriers and not with massive battleships as had been done in the past.

i would not say peral harbor was a sucess

True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 02:33

Originally posted by Illuminati

The Japanese were in fact the first nation to realize that carriers would win naval battles not battlships, hence why pearl harbor was a purely air based attack.  It was only chance that the American carriers were on menuevers at the time of the attack and not an oversight.

The first aircraft carrier based attack in war was done by the Jpanese navy on a German cruiser in WW1

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 13:12
I'd say Pearl Harbor, for the Americans... IT would be most efficent, and if they HAD won it, ... Japs would have been humiliated, with a reverse attack..
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 14:59

Originally posted by Gazi

The second siege of Vienna(1683)?

No.that was a big misfortune.Waves and floods smashed the bridges so the Ottomans could not bring their great cannons.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>