Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Radovan Karadzic arrested!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radovan Karadzic arrested!!!
    Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 12:28
Originally posted by Cezar

Radovan Karadzic is another case of a person who stands no chance for afair trial. The fact is that no jury or judge would dare to not condemn him if the available evidence(s) presents reasonable doubt. The man has been portrayed as a monster and there is no chance to change this picture. No matter how correct would be the trial the media will turn it into a revenge process. The man is guilty before being judged. Starting with Nuremburg all trials concerning "crimes against humanity" were nothing but propaganda performances.
Some may seek the satisfaction of seeing the "really bad guy" paying for his evil deeds. Some may think that sentencing a public extremist figure will quiet down the people and maybe will stop other individuals to turn into such leaders. The point is that things don't work that way. Saddam is dead and there's no peace in Iraq.

You are right that he has been portrayed as a monster, but he is not facing a jury which could be emotionally swayed. He is facing a bench of some of the world most experience and best judges. And he must have a fair trial and he should be aquitted of whattever charges can't be proved.

It should be pointed out that he will have months perhaps years where he will be able to face his accusers and cross examine them, counter their evidence, and present some of his own.

These poor bastards had none of that.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 13:35
I don't want to start a discussion regarding former Yougoslavia. You can throw links and pictures at me but I don't like that kind of treatment. A picture with dead people is not a proof. At least not a beyond reasonable doubt one.
Take a trip here, if you want some other view of what happened there: http://www.srebrenica-report.com
Don't mistake me, I do think that people responsible of war crimes or genocide should be punished. But not because the media or the politicians say so.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 13:46
Excellent. I am sure Mr Karadzic and his legal team will present the report at his trial.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 13:57
And to what end?
Have you read it already?
You don't like it just because it doesn't "fit" the current story?
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 14:11
Hello Cezar

Well, based on your logic, why have courts period when people known to have done a crime are put to trial there. Ceaucescu should have been set free by your standards because no court will ever give him a "fair trial". So all the Nazi leaders for that matter.

I am not going to discuss the Srebrenica report website because it was killed by discussion in another thread but if there is any doubt, then he should non the less give it. Other yoguslav war criminals, from all backgrounds including Serb, were set free for lack of evidence or were found not guilty so as far as I am concerned, this guy will get the justice that was denied to thousands during the conflict.

AL-Jassas
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 15:31

Radovan Karadzic is another case of a person who stands no chance for afair trial. The fact is that no jury or judge would dare to not condemn him if the available evidence(s) presents reasonable doubt. The man has been portrayed as a monster and there is no chance to change this picture. No matter how correct would be the trial the media will turn it into a revenge process. The man is guilty before being judged. Starting with Nuremburg all trials concerning "crimes against humanity" were nothing but propaganda performances.
Some may seek the satisfaction of seeing the "really bad guy" paying for his evil deeds. Some may think that sentencing a public extremist figure will quiet down the people and maybe will stop other individuals to turn into such leaders. The point is that things don't work that way. Saddam is dead and there's no peace in Iraq.

That's as convoluted a conclusion I have seen here on AE in a while. First off, no matter what you or I think, he was a wanted man. His arrest will lead to a UN trial for his crimes (not only for his orders in Srebrenica and Sarajevo against the Bosnians but for holding hostage UN peacekeepers). Unless you don't believe in due process your defense and partiality is not a brand of justice that is generally practiced in the modern world. As for "quieting down the people", that is a secondary gain. His trial is for war crimes not the pacification of the innocent. Lastly, what does this have to do with Saddam? Big leap in twisted logic on your part!
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 15:57

Originally posted by Yugoslav

Nah, you've got him mixed up with Ratko Mladic on that one.

OK, he's an angel.

? Dead
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 16:20
Originally posted by Sparten

You are right that he has been portrayed as a monster, but he is not facing a jury which could be emotionally swayed. He is facing a bench of some of the world most experience and best judges. And he must have a fair trial and he should be aquitted of whattever charges can't be proved.

It should be pointed out that he will have months perhaps years where he will be able to face his accusers and cross examine them, counter their evidence, and present some of his own.

These poor bastards had none of that.

Stalin wasn't portrayed as a monster.

Radovan Karadzic's role is being overestimated. For instance, if he wasn't there, the very same thing would've happened, except that the person that stood in his place might've been more careful not to willingly and openly hide from the international community the atrocities that were committed by troops of his army, or he might've been worse, pushing for a seizure of Sarajevo and blatant ordering the citizens' execution.

However he's not Ratko Mladic, a bloodthirsty mongrel, a monster, with almost no emotions save for booze, ultra-nationalist hatred and absolutely no capability for military tactics & strategy. It must not be forgotten that there were two leaders of RS - these two guys. Ratko Mladic was the one in control of the forces and they were loyal to him - and not Radovan Karadzic. In public places, in front of other people, Ratko mocked his President calling him "Rado" officially and in public places, in many cases even blatantly disobaying him.

The origins of their conflict are early on, as already in the beginnings Karadzic wanted to depose Mladic, fearing his growing influence, but in the end Mladic became far too powerful and he failed to do that. In 1993 a peace plan was formed to end the Bosnian War, Serbian Orthodox Church leader Paul recommended it, Slobodan Milosevic of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and Greek Prime Minister came and supported that plan, urging Karadzic to end the war. The plan included the return of many non-Serb territories which were cleansed. In the end solely Ratko Mladic's decision was the sole momentum that made Srbska refuse that peace plan, despire Karadzic supported it.

Now I am not trying to defend Karadzic in any ways, he shall indeed have a trial, and as Head of State, he cannot be innocent and will be convicted, understand that people, but you should not make any sort of a big thing out of this, either for Serbia, or for the victims of his evildoings. It is Ratko Mladic that today roams free, and it is he that we should've hoped they got. Out of a 100 people, only 1 is brought into a circumstance of war, or becomes a monster, and 99 potential genocidists lead perfectly normal lives until the end. Radovan Karadzic was one of the men that was caught by the waves, and he wasn't like those like Slobodan Milosevic, who indeed created and pushed a bunch of those waves.

For the past years he's (R.K.) been living a spiritual life as a guru, a bio-energy healer and alternative medicine doctor. Everyone of the persons he new described him as an incredibly kind and spiritual man. A psychiatrist talked to him yesterday and discovered that he is something close to a dual personality. Attempting to bury his dark past from the war times, he actually did not design Dragan Davic to hide - but he designed it for himself, to convince himself that he is not Radovan Karadzic - and there lies the very superbness of his disguise. However unfortunately for him, such things simply do not happen and everyone is responsible for his/her actions.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 17:27
It's funny that the Muslim commanders on the ground in Srebrenica themselves say that Srebrenica was offered as a political sacrificial lamb but we don't take their word. It is also funny how you never hear in the news that Srebrenica while a "UN safe zone" was being given weaponry via NATO to attack the Serb surrounding villages where we have hundreds of well documented cases of war crimes commited upon the Serbs under the eyes of the UN. It is funny we don't hear about how Clinton told Alija that he could not intervene in the war unless at least 5,000 Muslims died in Srebrenica. We aren't told how when some of the Muslim military forces after being abandoned by Alija, tried to escape north and took as many civilians with them as they could as human shields, hence the many dead while in Srebrenica itself the Serbs provided transportation for any who wanted it to go wherever they pleased in the surrounding area.

And yea showing pictures and saying "Look! Serbs did it! Radovan did it!" is crap for proof.

What is most scary about letting what happened to Yugoslavia slide is that it can happen anywhere else too, and it has happened before as well. The fact that Alija did not even win the election in Bosnia but lost to a pro Yugoslav Muslim by the name of Abdic (who's muslim followers fought WITH the Serbs against Alija's jihadists) but forced Abdic out with western support harkens to the good old times of the 50s, 60s and 70s when America did this type of thing every other tuesday in south america.

As for ratko not accepting peace in 1993...there was a peace accord as early as within the start of the few months of the conflict. Radovan agreed to it, the Croat who's name escapes my mind agreed to it and Alija agreed to it, only to have a western diplomat tell Alija that if he didn't like it he didn't have to keep accordance.

If you actually do research concerning the Yugoslav civil war you will see that the people posting here giving their "hear hears" and "hip hip hurrays" either just eat up whatever the media tells them or have a bias.

As for the last post that Radovan has dual personality, this is non sense, "oh man he's really an evil mastermind that's gone crazy!" I'm sure everyone who's seen a Hollywood flick and watches the news would just eat that right up.

"Te duare mintea..."
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 17:27
Originally posted by Seko

Great news. One less psychopathic mass murderer to roam the streets.

He's 60 + years old.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 17:51

Wife furious.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 18:10

-- The International Criminal Tribunal on Yugoslavia (ICTY) whose staff had been largely appointed by Madeleine Albright, then US Ambassador to the United Nations, acknowledged political considerations when they issued indictments for genocide against Bosnian Serb leaders in on July 27, only three days after their chief investigator Hubert Wieland told the Daily Telegraph that in five days of interviews with scores among the 20,000 refugees gathered at the Tuzla airport: “We have not found anyone who saw with their own eyes an atrocity taking place.” Richard Holbrooke candidly told the BBC “I realized that the War Crimes Tribunal was a very valuable tool.  We used it to keep the two most wanted war criminals in Europe out of the Dayton process and we used it to justify everything that followed.”   What followed were trial proceedings in which witnesses who received leniency if they agreed to provide testimony sought by the Hague prosecution to justify indictments made for political reasons.  Thus, Momir Nikolic a prosecution witness in the Krstic trial was induced to say he supervised a massacre in Kravica until he admitted in cross examination that he not only lied by about supervising a massacre he never there and had no idea if one had occurred.

The ends justify the means right? Especially if you invent the ends. And these people are suppose to trial Radovan in justice when they havn't done it once in the entire trial for the former yugoslavia...
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 18:10
Is that his real wife or mistress? He claims to have created bogus children while on the lamb too. http://www.canadaeast.com/rss/article/362913

After hiding for ten years and living under a false identity with his mock family, now he can't wait to appear before the court. Such bravado after being caught.

Vujacic, Karadzic's lawyer, said he will resist extradition.

Vujacic also said Karadzic intends to defend himself during his upcoming trial at the UN tribunal, with the help of a team of legal advisers - just like Milosevic did. Milosevic died in 2006 while on trial in The Hague.

"He can't wait to appear before the court," Vujacic told reporters. "He will have a legal team that will help him, but he will defend himself."

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 19:14

And to what end?
Have you read it already?
You don't like it just because it doesn't "fit" the current story?
Kindly don't try this on me. I am a lawyer, I took International Human Rights in Law School, I interned with a firm that did that as a speciality and I have spent countless hours on the whole Bosnia mess. Far far far more than you or anyother apologist could even dream about. You talk about the Serbenicia report. I have read hundreds of other reports whicjh are far far reliable, including after actiion reports of UN battalions in the general area over a sequence of many weeks. So frankly, that link you gave me  has zip, nil, nada chances of influencing me one way or the other.

1) Yes, the Serbs were not the only bad guys, yes the muslims did things that made me ashamed to be associated with them, but the point here is.....

2) This is not about muslims or croats or anybody else, it is about Mr Karadzic and the charges againt him. He must face the charges. And the accusers must prove them beyond reasonable doubt.

Personally, I think his goose is cooked. The evidence is overwhelming against him, and most if any defence he can lean on have been refuted ages ago, and many many times, by many different persons.So unless he has some dramatic thing hidden somewhere, something which thousands of the most dedicated and best researcher, investigators and lawyers have failed to discover over a decade and and a half and after spending tens of millions of dollars; well I hope he enjoys prison showers.

General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 19:28
Im sure anyone would come to that conclusion if they were fed that type of broth.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 19:35

Beleive me, I have read every defence pf Karadzic that anyone has put up. Even the ones that his detratctors concede are unlikely to help him.

General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 19:37
What about the Bosniak testimony that states Srebrenica was simply a political sacrifice?

And sorry but you aren't going to convince anyone simply by saying "I know everything about this so what i say is right." That's just a poor way to carry out a discussion, no disrespect.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 20:16
Originally posted by Seko

Is that his real wife or mistress? He claims to have created bogus children while on the lamb too.

Mistress.

His wife and family are shocked.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 20:26
I have a question. Most of what I notice and read about the Yugoslav conflict comes via perusing the headlines and reading a snippet here and there; I don't know enough about this whole situation to participate in the discussion. That said, everything I have read with regard to people being brought to trial has been about Serbian war criminals. Now this is fine -- indeed, all war criminals must be brought to trial. My question, as a result of my ignorance of the situation, runs thus: have war criminals from other ethnic groups been prosecuted? That is to say: Is the reason I only read about the prosecution of Serbian war criminals because their trials are publicized more or is it because they are the only party being prosecuted?

Grateful for any answers or information that anyone can provide.

-Akolouthos
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 20:26
The guy was in power, he had the choice to do the right thing, regardless of if Srebrenica was "sacrificed" or not. He chose not mass kill muslims and Croats in other areas before yet he chose to do just that when he captured the town. He now reaps what he saw.

Now should other criminals be brought to justice, absolutely yes. Should they be tried, absolutely yes, were there muslims and Croats tried and found guilty? A quick scan shows that 20% of the people indicted by the ICTY were muslims or Albanians (don't know about Croats) and nearly all have been convicted and sentenced, yet unfortunately media in general and pro-serb media in particular have always played this fact down and gave to much concentration of the Serbs for various reasons.

Al-Jassas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>