Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical films

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical films
    Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 20:14
My friends we have seen a lot of historical films. The best ones were braveheart, gladiator, patriot,elisabeth etc. But I am sure that there are some subjects that we have never seen as a film. Which historical subject did you want to see as a film? Could you give some examples?
Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 20:16
hmmmm good question Evren.

For starters... I would like to see a Roman-Parthian war film. Surenas' story...
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 20:20
A historical film must have some features to have success

1- First we need a good and a bad faction
2-Good one must be the one which is humiliated or something
3-Fine customary and realism
4-Good pitched battles
5-Romantism
Efraz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Efraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 20:23
Well this is the Braveheart formula not necessarily good for every historical film :)
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 21:03

I think siege of constantinople, siege of wien, skanderbegs life(I think a interesting subject, a boy in a foriegn palace, a commander in a muslim army, defected and be a hero of a nation) etc

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 04:54
Have you ever watched the following movies?

Kingdom of heaven
King Arthur
Troy
Alexander the great
Elcid

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 06:35
and what's about....

The court jester
and Life of Brian and Monthy Python and the Holy Grail ?

Mythica View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Mythica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 16:08
Originally posted by Suren

Have you ever watched the following movies?
Kingdom of heaven
King Arthur
Troy
Alexander the great
Elcid

Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good. King Arthur was just bad - I even used to have a thing for the Arthurian Legend but the movie just didn't hold my interest. Although nothing is as bad as "The Other Boleyn Girl". Worse. Movie. Ever.

Troy gets on my nerves because of the Hollywood ending. Haven't seen the others.

And I'm really enjoying "The Tudors" on Showtime.

My problem with historical films is that they are sometimes very gory which my stomach can't handle. I liked Gladiator and Apocalypto but there were moments that were too gruesome for me.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 21:07
There are many more historical movies then what is mentioned here. A number of these movies star Charlton Heston, Errol Flynn, et al. Many of the golden age of hollywood movies were historical, there were many about WWII, WWI, Crimean War, Wars with Native Tribes (Zulu Dawn).
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 22:44
Zulu Dawn was awesome. Zulus storming the fort while the Brits kept to their ranks in an orderly fashion and shot back while sipping tea (almost at least).

I actually like King Arthur. Sure it got corny in places but the glorified battle scenes tend to get a sucker like me geeked all the time.

Movies I'd like to see come about:

Malazgirt
Seige of Constantinople
Battle of Ain Jalut
Stripes IISmile
Batman versus Count Belisarius Shocked
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 00:29
I'm still laughingLOLLOLLOL see?, I'd pay money to see that. Batman versus Count Belisarius, I'm betting on BatmanBig%20smile, and I would like to see a movie about the siege of Constantinople, and a film about Thermopylae that was historically accurate!!!! for onceAngryAngryAngry!!!!!!!!!!!!!, that new one that's outSleepySleepy, they got almost everything wrongDeadDeadDeadAngryAngryAngry.   

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 00:45
They got everything wrong because it was not based on an historical account of the battle of Thermopylae. The recent movie was based on the graphic novel by Frank Miller so it won't have historical accuracy. If you want a movie about Thermopylae try the movie The 300 Spartans.
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 12:33
I'd like to see the campaigns of Sobieski against the turks and the battle of Vienna in 1683.There were rumors,that Mel Gibson is about to shoot such fulm,but prooved to be wrong.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 14:56
The three hundred spartans is inaccuate too.

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 16:13
Why don't you write an accurate version of the Battle of Thermopylae. Few "historical" movies are historically correct. Sometimes story is substituted (wrong word I just can't think well right now) for accuracy, this is also the case in the some of the sources for these movies. You also have to understand that like all movies "historical" movies have an agenda too. Often the "historical" movies are going to use the story (accurate or not) that best fits that agenda.
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2015 at 21:49
Mayerling       
Ava Gardner played the Empress Elizabeth of Austria. Omar Sharif starred as Crown Prince Rudolph.
 Post Reply Post Reply