Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your Army

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Army
    Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 04:35
These are just some things you may want to include listed randomly

What would your army look like?
How would you keep the moral of your troops at high levels?
How would you prevent rebellion?
What would your army wield in terms of weapons?
What would your army be composed of?
What tactics would you use as a general?
Would you fight beside your army, if so what would you be wearing, what weapon would you be using, armour etc...
How would the climate govern your army?
How would you treat a recently conquered town?
Logistics?

Use these following "guidelines".

-Choose an era and year you would be commanding in (Ancient, Medieval Ages,  Napoleonic, Modern etc...)
     -Remember use weapons available at the time (you cannot have machine guns in the 1200s for example)

-Choose a climate or location that you would like to be fighting in (Desert, mountainous terrain, rainforest's etc...)
      -Remember, armies are greatly influenced by the climate and surroundings

-Use percentages when decribing what your army is composed of (70% Infantry, 30% Calvary [but much more specific])

-Be as specific as possible

-Take your time (weeks if need be)

Please ask me questions if you are confused (I know I did not explain it well). Alright this should be interesting...

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 05-Aug-2008 at 05:25
What is the officer problem?
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 13:57
"My Army"

Era
: Ancient

Year: 500 B.C

Climate: Subtropics

Army:

Vague Army Composition
:

15% Light Infantry
5% Heavy Infantry
40% Archers
30% Light Cavalry
10% Heavy Cavalry

Light Infantry:

10% Spear Infantry
5% Curved Swordsmen

Heavy Infantry:

3% Axe Infantry
2% Mace Infantry

Archers:

40% Recurve Bowmen

Light Cavalry:

12% Spear Calvary
10% Curved Sword Cavalry
5% Mace Cavalry
3% Chariots

Heavy Cavalry:

5% Mace Cavalry
2.9% Scythe Chariots
2.0% Spear Cavalry
0.1% War Elephants

Overview:

Light Infantry:

General Gear
: Recurve bow, 3-4 Javelins,

Spear Infantry
: My spear infantry would be armed with a six foot spear and a large wicker shield. The front line infantry would receive full body wicker shields to protect themselves from the initial missile exchange. When entering close combat, a smaller wicker shield would be used. The greater mobility will give an infantryman, or in this case the spearman a greater edge against more heavily armoured troops. The spearmen would be positioned at the center, with the axe infantry providing cover from flank attacks on the sides. The infantryman would be protected by scale armour protecting the arms, chest, and neck.

Curved Swordsmen: I would supply my curved sword infantry with extremely light and sharp swords swords. The fast succession of each swing would be hard to defend, even with a full body shield. The swordsman would be protected by scale armour protecting the arms, chest, and neck.

Heavy Infantry:

General Gear: Scale armour, Recurve bow

Axe Infantry: The axe would be crafted similarly to a Sagaris. If the axe was double-edged, no shield would be needed or wanted as it would interfere with the warrior's ability to fight. However, if the axe was single edged, my axemen would wield a small wicker or leather shield, depending on what was available. The axemen would be placed on the spearmen's flanks and also behind the spearmen. The axemen would "fill in" any breaches in the line.

Mace Infantry: As psychological weapon or a physical one, the mace is an awesome weapon. In my army the macemen are used to cut swaths in enemy formations and are used as a reserve. The macemen carry 3-4 javelins each.

Archers:

General Gear
: Recurve bow, cane arrows

Archers: The archers are one of the focal points of my army. The rain of arrows hitting the enemy causes them to charge in a hasty offensive. The missiles have the ability to totaly ruin the enemy's When the archer runs out of ammunition for his recurve bow, the archer can switch his bow for his spear or his sling, depending on what is needed at the time. If the front lines break and the infantry reserves are diminished, the archers can turn into light spearmen, without shields.

Light Cavalry:

General Gear:
Scale armour peytrals, 3-4 javelins, recurve bow

Spear Cavalry: My spear cavalry is used to take out routing enemy units. Because of the long lance, my spear cavalry can keep units such as swordsmen out of striking distance. My light cavalry is also used to take out heavier enemy cavalry units. Within my spear cavalry battalion I have a camel corp.

Curved Sword Cavalry
: My curved sword cavalry are the mass murdering robots of my army. The light armour and weapon of the unit makes it easy to dodge attacks and kill man after man with fast succession. The properties are similar to that of the curved sword infantry.

Mace cavalry: The light mace cavalry wield longer maces than the mace infantry troops. The light mace cavalry has versatility. It can be used in normal light cavalry activities and has the capability as "acting" as heavy cavalry.

Chariots: Light nimble chariots used to pepper the enemy with arrows or as a "taxi cab", transporting troops to the vulnerable spots of the infantry line.

Heavy Cavalry:

General Gear
: 3-4 javelins, full horse barding, scale armour, recurve bow

Mace Cavalry: The mace cavalry wield a long mace and a large shield. Guarding the flank of my army is my heavy mace cavalry. Once the two infantry lines engage the cavalry race around and encircle the enemy. With no means on escape besides death or route for the enemy, victory is mine.

Scythe Chariots
: Mobile meat cleavers glued to the wheels on a speedy chariot. Used to cut swaths in the enemy formations from the sides. Enemy moral will sure plummet as soon as they see the chariots. The chariot's riders include a rider and a shield bearer.

Spear Cavalry: Armed with spears with a full set of armour barding.

War Elephants
: Wild elephants from the tropics are put unto the battlefield. The elephants have a thick metal amour plate, with only the eyes and underbelly exposed.  A wooden tower sits upon every elephant's back. Heavy armoured archers and long pike men are placed inside.

Mobile Wooden Towers: In my army I would have as many as 20 large mobile wooden towers, similar to a siege tower. Archers would be stationed on top. Along with the archers would be scouts viewing the battlefield. The scouts would report to an officer or general and the situation would be dealt with.

Tactics and Dispositions:

My light infantry would make up the main infantry line. The heavy infantry would take up arms on the light infantry's flanks. A portion of the light cavalry would be behind the infantry battle line. In case of the line breaking, the cavalry could rush forward and fill the gap. On the flanks would be the rest of the light cavalry and heavy cavalry. The chariots and elephants would also be on the outer flanks of my army.

My army would be ordered to not engage in heavy hand-to-hand combat if possible. My composite archers would shower the enemy with arrows. All my combatants are armed with javelins and/or bows, the idea being that I kill as many of the enemy's men as possible before engaging their line.  If I had 20,000 men, thats 20,000 arrows on one volley. If each archer has 60 arrows, 1,200,000 arrows could be hurling at the enemy over a period of four to six minutes. This would not only cause havoc among enemy ranks, but total decimation. Whoever was left after the rain of arrows would be wounded and/or their moral would be desecrated. When the enemy came within 100 yards, my army could fire their javelins (minimum of 3 javelins each). That is 60,000 javelins, if every man threw his share. 1,200,000 arrows and 60,000 javelins would due great damage to the enemy - before he ever got to swing his melee weapon. To counter more heavily armoured troops, I would use the opposite - light troops. Maneuverability and speed are of great importance to my army. My cavalry would do hit and run tactics, to minimize their exposure to attack, and minimize the enemy's ability to counter. My army would try to stay out of full scale engagements, but rather rely on skirmishes around the battlefield. I would also have my army practice skills such as the feigned retreat.

I would use unconventional warfare tactics, cavalry raids on enemy farms, burning of important enemy granaries and store houses, and the destruction of the enemy enconomy by any means necessary. I would also stay away from confrontation or battles with the enemy if I could. Before going into battle I would send diplomats to talk the enemy into submission, if that did not work, I would force them.

If I discovered that a soldier under my command was giving information to the enemy, I would lock him up in prison.  The prison would be something like a tent surrounded by palisade walls.  If my army was on the move, I would lock him up in a wagon.   Depending on the crime, death would always be a consequence.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 21-Aug-2008 at 05:11
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 18:58

My Sixth-Seventh Century A.D Byzantine Army, Overview:  My army has one million men and women in it, Four hundred thousand of which are Cataphracts! (cue the evil laughter),SmileWinkBig%20smileLOLClapApproveStar one hundred and fifty thousand heavy infantry, fifty thousand light infantry/ psiloi/scouts twenty thousand archers Toxatai Although the Byzantines of that era, may have still called their archers Sagittarii, (not sure)Embarrassed, five thousand greek fire, hand sryinge operators, five thousand baleric slingers Twenty thousand crew, for my trebuchets, catapults and repeating ballistae, fifty thousand buecallarii one hundred thousand light cavalry which serve as horse archers/javineers/staff slingers, fifty thousand war elaphants twenty five thousand are heavily armored, twenty five are lightly armored or no have armor, and one hundred and fifty thousand scythed ballista chariots with armored horse teams and steel axles and wheels and,... drumroll... fifty helepoli and crew. and a bunch camp followers a.k.a cannon fodderLOL, animals, supply wagons, and lines and guards for the supplys, medical stuff, preists, and one hundred thousand mercenarys (better trained cannon fodderWink) Cataphracts: My Cataphracts have strong but light steel armor which consists of: padded undergarments, chain mail chauses and long sleeved hauberk and chain mail gauntlets and aventail of three layers thickness the layers are staggered, to stagger the shock of a blow as is the layers of the padding and then a scale hauberk and a lamellar hauberk which have calf length tassets and then they have a segmented cuirass similar to the old roman lorica segmenata (these are shown in several late roman miltiary manuals and they could take a direct hit from a ballist bolt with only a small dent to show for it) a  two manicae connecting to the shoulder guards which protect both sides of the arm, and between the shoulder guards and the manica is an elbow length scale sleeeve and another elbow length lamellar sleeve and over the manica are splint vambraces which protect the forearm and the elbow and the hands are protected by another chain mail guantlet the head is protected by a spangenhelm with a molded anthromorphic steel facemask, the eyeholes are enlarged to permit more vision and the helm is made to permit greater hearing and breathing and still provide the maximum amount of protection possible the neck is protected by the aventail and a massive padded gorget the legs and feet are protected by chain mail chauses, lamellar and scale tassets, segmented leg guards whcih ex tend from the down, splint greaves, segmented feet and ankle guards and a steel 'overshoe" their boots have a steel plate in the sole,  their weapons consist of a steel spathion sword a mace, dagger and axe which can serve as either a backup weapon or a tool, a composite bow and a hundred arrows a staff sling with lead bullets a greek fire hand syringe a thureos shield with a spiked boss and sharpened edges which is small enough to provide protection and leave the riders hand free to use his or her bow or other missle weapon and is strapped to the riders arm leaving his free to control another weapon or the riders horse the cataphracts main weapon is the kontos a nine foot long  spear which th cataphracts couch in a charge and it has a truncheon and is carried in a lance case that is strapped to the saddle when not in use and plumabatae and marziobarbouloi  lead weighted darts carried in the hollow of the shield and javelins. the horse is protected by steel scale and lamellar klibanion that hangs to the knees (with caparisons of the same materiel that hangs to the hock)  the armor protects the horses whole body including the neck head and chest the back and front klibanion is split to allow freedom of movement and a peytral and crupper of the same materiel as the klibanion are worn to cover the gaps the horse has segmented leg guards a belly plate and horse shoes that protect the inside and outside of the hoof from caltrops the horse also has a chanfron which has extensions to protect the ears and the mouth and dome shaped grills to protect the horses eyes from arrows the reins and stirups protected with metal and the rider can control his horse vocally and with his knees the saddle has the four roman saddle horns along with a high cantle and pommel the cataphracts and their horses are draped in brown gray and green cloth  and their armor and weapons are oiled so that they are almost silent and the cataphracts have the old roman principle of a silent advance and the cataphracts and their horses are incredbly fast despite the weight of their armor and their horses are quick as rabbit and can through mountains almost as well as any mountain goat and the cataphracts and their horse can swim in full armor if they have to and the cataphracts are trained in all kinds of martial arts and military sciences and they are trained in guerilla and asassination tactics and ther also trained as combat engineeers and they sail a ship read write and do mathematics and they can operate siege engines and they are self sufficent carrying their own food and water and they are trained in logistics and survival techniques. Heavy infantry Skutatoi : Armor: chain mail chauses and hauberk (only one layer instead of the three that that cataphracts have) and all troops have padded undergarments a cuirass similar in design to old roman lorica segmenata like the one the cataphracts have, orcae greaves two manicae, segmented arm arm guards which connect to the shoulder guards and protect the whole arm chain mail gauntlets a chain mail aventail of three layers staggered like the cataphract aventails, to protect the head and neck and spangenhelm and scale tassets which hang to the calf to protect the hips and segmented leg feet and ankle guards worn under the orcae like the ones the cataphracts have, Weapons: a spathion a parma oval sheild a kontos like the one the cataphracts have only it's eleven feet long instead of ten and a dagger pugio their training is the same as the cataphracts only the cataphracts are betterLOL  yuk yuk yuk   Light infantry: Scale cuirass, spathion and dagger, composite bow, javelins staff sling with lead sling bullets and plumabatae, Greek fire hand sryinge operators: same as light infantry, Slingers and siege engine crew: quilted cuirass spathion and dagger and for the slingers staff sling, obviously Buecallarii: equipment is similar to the cataphracts only their armor and their horses is gilded and inlaid with gold  and with gold filigree on the sword hilts and the armor is also silver washed and they are better trained Light cavalry: armor: spangenhelm and aventail, short sleeved chain mail hauberk, lamellar cuirass, spathion, dagger, staff sling, composite horsebow, kontos and javelins War Elephants: Armor a giant scale klibanion with scale caparisons and scale crupper and peytral and a belly plate and steel "shoes" to protect the elephants soft feet from caltrops the elephant has chanfron with dome shaped grills to protect the eyes from arrows the trunk and tusks are sheathed in metal and the elephant is armed with a mace and spearsthe howdah is armored and has a greek fire turret and a ballista the crew are armed and armored like heavy infantry only with pikes instead of  the kontos the elephant is controlled by a mahout inside the howdah along with a "spare" mahout and the elephants armor is draped in grau green and brown cloth "light" elephants are unarmored but have the same type of howdah as the heavys and are draped in the same type of cloth and have the same shoes as the heavys the are the biggest breed of elephant the loxadonta africana africana the largest elephants in the world  Chariots: The Horse team: the horses are armored in the same style as the catphracts horses the crew is armored like the skutatoi, the chariots tongue is made of steel as are the axles and the wheels the body is made of cross hatch and latticed teak wood and the layers staggered the chariot is longer and wider than conventional designs so it can hold the small ballista and the crew for the chariot and the ballista, the scythes are made of high qualty razor sharp steel.  The helepoli: Each helepolis serves as the tanks/  watch towers/sieg towers/troop and supply transports and fortresses of of my army each one is armored on all four sides and equiped battering rams, trebuchets, catapults, ballistae, siege ramps on top of the helepolis, greek fire turrets all of these weapons are on all sides of the helepolis the wheels and axles are made of are made of steel the helepolis is made of cross hatched and latticed hardwoods mainly oak and teak and it is armored with massive steel plates on all sides including the underbelly the helepolis is propelled with a team of three hundred elephants thus enabling it too move at great speed considering it's size, and it can change directions like a modern tank and last but not least myself the general I'll be fighting along side my cataphracts and buecallarii, my armor and my horse's armor are like that of my buecallarii only I have muscle cuirass and a crest on my helm and my harness and my horses harness are bejeweled with emarelds, rubys, and diamonds, my officers have similar equipment only they have have a red crest instead of a purple one and they only have rubys instead of the other jewels, and our cloaks and cloth barding for our horses are made of the finest silk, and my barding and are dyed purple like my crest and my sheild is over laid with gold  The Terrian, Climate and Tactics:  The terrrian and climate is medditerranian, mountainous, subtropical, desert, jungle, prarie/savanah, forest, and maybe some tundra. My tactics are this: send twenty five helepoli as a solid core, myself and my beucallarii at the head along with half my cataphracts the cataphracts and buecallari have their center troops fire none stop right up to the point where they hit the enemy lines, the other half are positioned on the flanks to hit outflank the enemy to reinforce me and to protect my flanks in some wise guy decides to charge my flank, thinking he'll give me a taste of my own medicine but when the cataphracts send him to the afterlife he'll wonder what he was thinking, my light calary provide scouts and a rearguard and mobile archers and messengers, the same thing goes for the light elephants my sige engines and remaining helepoli provide artillery support, same thing with my archers, the chariots provide mobile anti-personnel  flanking headhunting support, and after my helepoli, cataphracts, and buecallari, smash my enemy the light and heavy infantry move in to mop up whats left of my enemy, so my army serves as all purpose combined arms force, victory is assured, I apoligize that I didn't talk about ther mercenary but there's so many of them, each with their own different kinds of weapons and aromor that it's almost impossible to write them all down,Embarrassed My men are so disiplined that the climate wouldn't bother them, I would treat a captured city/town by killing anyone who resisted me that may sound harsh but their soldiers and thats the risk you take when your a soldier, however any soldier or civilian who surrendered would be spared and there would no killing or harming of women and children and I keep morale up with a system of victory, reward and propaganda, and punishment when need be and any rebellion is intantly crushed the officers and instigators of the rebellion are intantly poisoned or assinated or captured and tortured for any information they have and then executed and the troops that supported them are decimated and then the survivors are brain washed to serve me. ROMA INVICTA !!!                                                   

Edited by Count Belisarius - 15-Oct-2008 at 03:01

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Sergeant113 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Sergeant113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 18:31
How about which faction does it belong to, serving which purpose, against which adversary? Perhaps illustrate more on the logistic and discipline aspect of the army, how you feed them and treat them.Smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 19:14
I would hate to be the supply officer for the above armys. Next to impossible to supply.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 23:53

My Army:

Era: Ancient

Year: Not Entirely Sure right now...better judge it from the weapons and armor selected.

Climate: Temperate, Mountain/Forest/Littoral (not dissimilar to my native Northwest...or possibly the Peruvian coast)

Vague Army Composition:
20% Shock infantry
20% Light Infantry
10% Light cavalry
10% Special Infantry
10% Officers
20% Support Staff

Shock Infantry:
50% Halberdiers
50% Pikemen

Light Infantry:
60% Longbow Archers
40% Spearthrowers

Special infantry:
100% Awesome

Officers:
haven't figured out the percentages yet.

Support Staff:

50% Dedicated Engineers

50% Dedicated Medical Staff (Given the time period, this might be a bunch of shamans or something, but they'd be selected for their success rate)

Shock infantry:

These would be skilled and professional troops armed with halberds and pikes. In addition to these weapons, they would each have a short sword, and would have ovoid wood shields covered in metal so that when it was necessary to resist showers of arrows or projectiles, they could unsling them and create a shield wall. Their armor would be composed of padded cotton with slick feathers along the surface, with plates of light steel attached to defend vital areas. They would have simple rounded steel helmets.

Light Infantry:

The Longbow Archers would be armored with padded cotton, and would carry yew longbows, fifty arrows each, and one mace per combatant.

The Spear Throwers would be armored with padded cotton with lacquered wooden slats, and would be armed with spear throwers, ten darts each, and one short-hafted axe plus a buckler per person. (the heavier armor and weaponry are due to the fact that their primary weapon--the spearthrower--has a relatively short effective range, meaning they might be forced to engage in close combat more than the archers would)

Light Cavalry:
The light cavalry would be armored with padded cotton, wooden slats, and a steel helm each. The horses would have small steel scales protecting vital areas, and feather fringes to foil darts and intimidate the enemy. Each cavalryman would be armed with a short recurved bow, twenty arrows, a battleaxe, and a light shield.

Special Infantry:
the Special Infantry would be trained scouts, assassins, and elite fighters. They would adopt light to heavy armor depending on their mission, and would carry weapons ranging from short swords up to halberds or longbows. they would be recruited from any segment of the army, but would be required to serve for a short time (or train, if there was no war going on) in every role. Their aptitude would be tested repeatedly, and while they would officially have specializations based on their highest-scoring areas, they would be required to be jacks-of-all-trades first--but by no means masters of none. Their final training exercise would be a struggle through rough terrain, outnumbered and surrounded by "enemies,"  and being finding it necessary to find food and water as well as fight.

Officers:
The officers would have the same uniform and weapons as whatever unit they commanded, but would have a single small but bright banner as a rallying point and identifier.

Engineers: the Engineers would be armored as the spear-throwers and armed a short axe each (as well as their mattocks, adzes, etc.)

Medical Staff: the Medical staff would be armored and armed in a similar manner to the engineers (except for the tools) and would carry a pack of bandages, a skin of wine (to disinfect), tweezers, a small package of herbs, needle, thread, and short sticks. These would serve as quick-acting medical supplies to stop bleeding, remove shards, and splint bones so that a soldier might survive long enough to be taken to proper medical facilities back at the camp. The medics would also be well-versed in shamanistic/spiritual rituals, and would thus serve as morale-raisers, chroniclers, counselors, and psychological warfare conductors.

Like so far?

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

C.C.Benjamin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 23:59
Well, if I were given command of a large kingdom, access to a good supply of resources and cash, my army would end up tailored like this:

Era
: Ancient

Climate: Europe

Army Size: 50,000 men

Vague Army Composition
:

15,000 Heavy Infantry - Phalanx

10,000 Heavy Infantry - Maniples

7,000 Heavy Infantry - Shock Troops

7,000 Heavy Cavalry - Cataphracts

4,000 Light Cavalry - Lancers

7,000 Archers - Longbows (yes, they're ancient!)

Overview:

For starters, my little kingdom would be entirely devoted to supporting my army.  This would be it's entire purpose, the populace utterly brainwashed to think that rampaging hordes of barbarians are ripe to sweep down over them and rape their sheep, steal their houses and burn their women.

The healthy, firstborn male of each household would be willingly given to the state, to become part of the warrior caste my army is comprised of.  This will be a great honour, and secure tax benefits for the family, and probably a one-time cash payment of some kind.  It will also give a level of prestige - perhaps invitations to any triumph schindigs I throw after my amazing conquests.

These men will then be trained non-stop, until maturity, in one of the specialised areas of my unit.  There will be room for promotion to other aspects of the army, dependant on displayed skill.

Their loyalty is bought with the promise of early retirement at 45, and an automatic plot of land/fief in any lands they help conquer, as well as cuts of the loot on regular occasions.   They will also be the warrior elite of my society, and thus have the highest privelige, and most important members of it.

Because of my constant indoctrination of the barbarian threat, my peasants will be more than happy to work like dogs to pay for their protection by my grand army.  Morale amongst my subjects will be high because of the number of barbarian heads I'd send back to appease the gods. 

I would not have slaves.  The populous are all free, but unable to own land, as that is reserved for my army veterans, this being the main privilege of being a warrior.  They will be expected to simply manage the land and train new recruits (not simply their own sons, but the firstborns from each family).  Not all of these will be warriors, many will be military engineers, medics, scouts, etc, all the things an army needs to continue.  All other population will be devoted to the economy and management of my kingdom.  Breeding will also be popular, because I'll need a lot of men.

Before I build an army, I want things working right.

Phalanx:

General Gear
: Large hoplon-style shield, very heavy armour (preferably breastplate, helm, greaves, mail, the works).   Long spears for the phalanx, short stabbing swords for when they get too close.

Training: A standard solid phalanx, hold the line and advance steadily in the center of my army.  These guys aren't going anywhere.

Maniples:

General Gear: Mail, breastplate, large Roman-style shield, hand axe/mace.

Training: These are the flexible flanks, designed to push the enemy wings back and envelope the enemy force.  They are trained to push forward as a solid unit, hacking and smashing through opponent armour to force them into an envelopment, while simultaneously being hard enough to act as main infantry.  Since they are in flexible maniples, they are designed to disperse and reform quickly, to act as a screen for the Shock Troops.

Shock Troops:

General Gear: Heavy mail, halberd-type weapon.

Training: These are the heavy-hitters, designed to advance behind the Maniples and then attack from around the sides when the enemy are engaged, for maximum chaos.   They are also trained to form a spearwall for when approached by enemy cavalry, to protect the flanks.

Cataphracts:

General Gear: Heavy armour, barding, longspear, spatha-type sword, large shield.

Training: Charge hard around the edges of the Maniples/Shock Troops to engage with the enemy cavalry first, these men will be specially trained to engage enemy cavalry.   They will carry three spears, trained initially to charge their horses to bring them down as soon as possible, then slash their mounts to unhorse them.

They will then proceed to do the good-ol' heavy cavalry charge into the rear of the enemy, as the Maniples and Shock Troops hit the enemy flanks.

Lancers:

General Gear: mail, longspear, mace, shield.

Training: The same deal as the Cataphracts, but quicker.  As the Cataphracts engage the enemy cavalry, they wheel around behind it and charge them from the rear.  Also useful for chasing down sodding horse archers and routing archer formations.

Longbowmen:

General Gear: Longbow, mail, mace, as many arrows as I can feasibly get them to carry.

Training: Long-range fire, to prevent a dug-in archer position from being a massive advantage, and to pour down fire on heavy infantry before engagement.   Trained to fire in single burst volleys to maximise their effect.

That's right, no fancy chariots, no gay-arsed horse archers, just 100% meatgrinders.

Know thyself
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 01:27
Originally posted by Sparten

I would hate to be the supply officer for the above armys. Next to impossible to supply.

Some of the comments are amusing. 

Logistics would consist of plunder and requisition. 

Medical staff:  LOLLOLLOL

Discipline:  As up until the late 17th century, implemented by wholesale corporal punishment and by capital executions.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 05:01
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Some of the comments are amusing. 

Logistics would consist of plunder and requisition. 

Medical staff:  LOLLOLLOL

Discipline:  As up until the late 17th century, implemented by wholesale corporal punishment and by capital executions.

...I think most of us are not including logistics because it's a thread about what you'd want as your ARMY. Not your army plus your vast number of camp followers, supply trains,etc.

Also: Don't laugh at medical staff. Just because doctors were laughable during the dark ages in Europe doesn't mean there was no such thing as a competent medical official anywhere else.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 05:25
Of course you should include logistics, supply trains, concubines, etc.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 05:48
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

Of course you should include logistics, supply trains, concubines, etc.

Well, then. I stand corrected.

Pardon me, I'm not particularly good at logistical concerns; tell me, if I'm assuming I have about 10,000 fighting men total, (same percentages I already posted) then how large might the logistics train be?

I'm just looking for a general, historically accurate proportion.

Also:

MMMMMMMMMConcubines.Thumbs%20Up

Edited by TheARRGH - 05-Aug-2008 at 05:50

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 07:18
If this is a "dream army" thread, the heres mine.

50,000 Harry Potters armed with a Phoneix cored wand (or whatever stick he used). Invincble!

If its a realistic force to be built up, then yes I need to be very very very bothered about logistics, because without them I ain't going anywhere.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 15:02
An army of Jackie Chans and jet Li's would be invincible... You know that would make a good movie. 

Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 15:09
My army are 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999   billions of mega giant invulnerable star wars death stars.
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 15:37
I tried hard to keep this from happening. Please do not ruin this thread with worthless comments.
C.C.Benjamin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 15:38
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

I tried hard to keep this from happening. Please do not ruin this thread with worthless comments.

I thought you did a good job too, great criteria.  It's always hard to keep the pratts out...
Know thyself
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 16:13
Well this "pratt" unreasonably feels that it is foolish to setup an army without the logistic support. If it is to even faintly resemble reality then you need to consider that very very closely. So some of the above ORBAT (10% spearmen, 5% archers, 3 % slingshots) are simply impossible. You try to minismise your logistic problems, not multiply them by having a highly hetrogenous army with troops equipped with different weapons which all need to be supllied and need different logistic plans.

Otherwise yeah Harry Potter is what I want in such a world.

Edited by Sparten - 05-Aug-2008 at 16:13
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 17:18

Well this "pratt" unreasonably feels that it is foolish to setup an army without the logistic support. 

Entirely true. But I'm not really sure many of us here know nearly as much about the tools, numbers, and tactics used by logistics trains as we do about those used by the soldiers themselves...

Is there any such thing as a really good book about logistics and supply? Because, personally, I'd rather not go off on a "this is what my army's logistics would be like" tangent without knowing any real bloody thing about logistics, besides "the logistics train/camp followers/etc. was often larger than the army" and "experts think about logistics, amateurs think about tactics."

Neither of those help me to flesh out "My Army" particularly well.

conon394 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote conon394 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 17:56

some of the above ORBAT (10% spearmen, 5% archers, 3 % slingshots) are simply impossible. You try to minismise your logistic problems, not multiply them by having a highly hetrogenous army with troops equipped with different weapons which all need to be supllied and need different logistic plans.

I would rather disagree you are telescoping the complexities of modern logistics backward onto ancient armies. In that having both slings and arrows is a definite tactical advantage the logistical load is minimal.  The smiths with the army could no doubt fabricate either arrow heads or sling bullets the only supply difficulty is bronze and lead or just bronze… Overall, at best a minor supply addition not a multiplier.

Edited by conon394 - 05-Aug-2008 at 17:56
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 19:09

Darius I apoligize for the off topic Jackie Chan/Jet Li post.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>