Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Israel about to strike at Iran?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Israel about to strike at Iran?
    Posted: 12-Jul-2008 at 20:37
Thank you but it still illustrates my point of industrial/economic depth.  Isn't Saudi's population 20 million? 
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2008 at 23:13
75% of them are below 25 years old. Unlike Iran, there is a serious shortage in grey matter and many places in the country need to be filled before even the country goes to mass industrialization. Iran has been there before Saudi Arabia for a much longer time (the oldest Uni is just 50 years old and its engineering department is 40 years old) and it has a huge amount of educated people as well as a very high number of technical unis and institutes that were build long ago. In 20 years time Saudi Arabia may well exceed Iran but this depends on what the government policy is going to be.

Al-Jassas
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2008 at 05:33
Originally posted by Zagros

they would pepper it with some physical damage and cause a psychological imprint much like Saddam's Scuds on bigger scale,  nothing else.

Nothing else? Like not destroy Israel's fragile economy and exponentially increase its emigration problem?
that can happen anyway via the Hezb or Palistinian proxies, No-Gong's just add salt to the wounds. Isreal is still connected to the western world and can be supported via other financial means while the war is on. Outside the reach of these missiles. Economic leverage comes from controling/spoiling the Straights of Hormuz not peppering Tel Aviv

Unless these missiles can be very accurate and relaible, and pointed by precise and informed intelligence, they have little military value. Politically they make the mullahs look strong to their domestic audiance but this is an expensive and wasteful a way to do this. Without nukes they are nothing more. I never considered their use effective in other wars, they have never been critical in any victory and I cant see Iran doing it better. Hezbollah can be much more cost and operationaly effective.

Does Israel have nukes? 200 of them? Everyone assumes so.  All we have is the word of an Israeli defector: Mossad's maxim is "to win wars by way of deception".   Israel wouldn't be attacked to prove reach, it would be attacked in self defense by the means possible.
well who wants to roll that dice? if they have nukes (even 20), you and i know that civilian deaths would not inhibit their use. They are quite comfortable in bludgeoning their opponents into oblivion. In their minds every war must be won at all cost, or they will be extinct as a nation. So it would be the right thing to do, completely rationalized in their reality and very dangerous for everyone else.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2008 at 13:04
Rolling dice = Follow your own legal nuclear agenda and wait to see if some rat-bag state nukes you?  Even if ISrael uses a nuke or ten, it would mean the end of its own existence because one, two, three or any number of years down the road there would be retaliation in like.  Like Mullahs, although Israeli decision makers are horrible evil people, they are still people and people are rational.  They won't do anything they think they can't get away with.

Shahabs are supposedly very accurate, they would do well in targeting power plants, water treatment facilities, other utilities, airports, ports, government buildings, schools, kindergartens, hospitals, old people's homes - the usual.  Israel is smaller than Iran's smallest province.
Hebrewtext View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Hebrewtext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2008 at 11:19
Originally posted by Leonidas

And this is to mention nothing of Iran's response.   What would 100 Shahabs do to Tel Aviv? Israel is impotent
they would pepper it with some physical damage and cause a psychological imprint much like Saddam's Scuds on bigger scale,  nothing else. I'm sure they would hit its military targets before Tel Aviv, the nuke plant being target number one. Those targets will hurt more than hitting their cities. i don't understand why hitting Israeli cities with scuds on steroids is seen as effective. Israel can nuke every city in the region and is getting better at defending against these things as time rolls on. Its like a college boy slapping a heavy weight boxer, just to show they aren't scared and they have reach. Its only makes a point, but doesn't win the fight. Its not going to cower Israel. Hezbollah is much more effective than these Shahabs.

The greater number of short/medium range missiles they have, used against US interest in the gulf and Afghanistan would have more of a materiel impact in any future conflict than a limited attack on Tel Aviv. Such things just rally the population for war. It didn't help either Iraq or Iran when they were lobbing scuds at each others cities, victory is secured on the battlefield.

exactly
Iran has some 100 shihab 3 missiles , and 12 launchers that are able to reach Israel,
some 40+ Iraqi missiles heat Israeli cities in 91 cousing only one death...

the real problem for Israel are the Iranian backed Hizbullah capable to lounch thousends of rockets into north Israel , cousing perhaps hundreads of deaths.
and for the American bases ,intrestes and the Gulf states in range for thousends of Iranian missiles.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2008 at 13:31
The number of deaths caused by a missile come from the amount of explosives that are in the warhead, not so much of it's accuracy. 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2008 at 00:13
Iraqi scuds were easy targets for Patriots, I don't think Shahabs are (since the development of three or four versions of "arrow" defense missiles has been necessary) - Shahabs can be guided by GPS (or the Russian equivalent) or gyroscopics, so the accuracy is beyond that of just hitting a large target such as a city.  Plus Shahabs can pack one ton of high explosives.

In other news, I read an article in which the US apparently confirmed Russian sale of S-400s due for delivery later this year, though nothing has come from the Russian or Iranian side.

Edited by Zagros - 15-Jul-2008 at 00:15
Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2008 at 08:14
Lindsey Williams has interesting views on USA policy towards Iran:

Lindsey Williams - The Energy Non-Crisis - Part 7 of 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5HGHsy3H

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Site:LRP

Edited by Bankotsu - 15-Jul-2008 at 08:15
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2008 at 01:15
Originally posted by rider

The number of deaths caused by a missile come from the amount of explosives that are in the warhead, not so much of it's accuracy. 

True in some ways but remember during the first Gulf War one of the reason's Saddam's Scuds didn't have the effect they were intended to have was the fact that their poor systems in terms of accuracy hence pretty much made them ineffective weapons.

So accuracy does play a big part in contributing to deaths when deploying these weapons.  
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2008 at 04:22
^ actaully accuracy has more to do with militray effect > meaningful targets. Killing civilians will always be hits and miss, especially in isreal where they bunker up and have some warning time.

Iraqi scuds were easy targets for Patriots
conversly these were adhoc defenses, those type of patroits where never effective
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2008 at 04:31
Iraqi scuds were easy targets for Patriots

Originally posted by Leonidas

conversly these were adhoc defenses, those type of patroits where never effective

Indeed, they were extremely ineffective during the Gulf War despite the praise they received from the popular media at the time.

As much as I hate to use Wikipedia as a source, here's what it says:

The U.S. Army claimed an initial success rate of 80% in Saudi Arabia and 50% in Israel. Those claims were eventually scaled back to 70% and 40%. However, when President George H. W. Bush traveled to Raytheon's Patriot manufacturing plant in Andover, Massachusetts during the Gulf War, he declared, the "Patriot is 41 for 42: 42 Scuds engaged, 41 intercepted!"[8] The President's claimed success rate was thus over 97% during the war.

Edited by Old Hickory - 16-Jul-2008 at 04:51
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2008 at 17:37
My point is therefore emphasised.I just remember images of them being shot down on TV.  Good ol' propaganda, children are so impressionable.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2008 at 19:55

Thank you but it still illustrates my point of industrial/economic depth.  Isn't Saudi's population 20 million? 
Nobody knows for sure.  The total population of the Kingdom and the number of actual  Saudi Citizens are state secrets.

Edited by Cryptic - 16-Jul-2008 at 20:07
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 08:53
Shahabs can be guided by GPS (or the Russian equivalent) or gyroscopics, so the accuracy is beyond that of just hitting a large target such as a city.

Most of the satellites on the Russian system have broken down by down, effective coverage is reduced to only over Russia herself, and I wouldn't count on its reliability. In any case, you can't really guide a missile by GPS. It simply isn't accurate enough, at best you could get to within the right 10 meters, but given the speed the missiles are travelling at it would probably be more like 50m - which could easily be the difference between a munitions dump and a sports oval.
Unless you can get access to military grade GPS (which me, you, or Iran can't, because the US army doesn't let anyone) it won't be very effective at guiding missiles without other systems as well.
(Better than nothing though)
Originally posted by Cryptic

Nobody knows for sure.  The total population of the Kingdom and the number of actual  Saudi Citizens are state secrets.

A figure so secretive it is published by the Saudi government in order to keep those gharbiyya from knowing the truth!
About 23 million.
Including foriegners 28,161,417 in July 2008

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 17-Jul-2008 at 08:54
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 11:06
So it's all about the spae programme... However, why can't they just check coordinates from, say Google Earth, programme the rocket to fly there, and it will? The missile can't be so... useless that it would miss then? At least by a ton?
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 12:26
The problem is how the missile figures out where it is, by the time GPS figures out (approximately*) where it is, it isn't there any more. You can easily teach it where the target is.

It is a problem with all robots, and exactly why the civilian GPS signal the US provides is less accurate than the military signal. Because they don't want enemy missiles using American technology to figure out where they are, and being using in guidance systems.

*10-50m for civilian grade IIRC
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 12:26
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Shahabs can be guided by GPS (or the Russian equivalent) or gyroscopics, so the accuracy is beyond that of just hitting a large target such as a city.

Most of the satellites on the Russian system have broken down by down, effective coverage is reduced to only over Russia herself, and I wouldn't count on its reliability. In any case, you can't really guide a missile by GPS. It simply isn't accurate enough, at best you could get to within the right 10 meters, but given the speed the missiles are travelling at it would probably be more like 50m - which could easily be the difference between a munitions dump and a sports oval.
Unless you can get access to military grade GPS (which me, you, or Iran can't, because the US army doesn't let anyone) it won't be very effective at guiding missiles without other systems as well.
The guidance systems are one of the key unknowns. The GPS is one way, AFAIK the gyro's are another way. They have both so GPS is not critical. The accuracy will come down to how good their gyro technology is.

also it isnt russian technology but Chinese/North korean. The chineses were busted trying to get laser gyro's off the US via a front company (IIRC the company claimed it was for their trainsSmile) . That was when Clinton was way too open and freindly. So if they get that type of technology and i have read the Iranians may already have it, the accuray will be very good. But 50M CEP is pretty good and I would conservitaly guess they are at level(if they dont have the latest gyro's). Iranians dont fire oneor two of these things anyway, so expect a salvo for one target and they dont care if some miss and hit a sports oval aslong as enough hit the target. I am assuming they wont waste them on randoms city shots, but hit the high value targets.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 13:11
Gyros are subject to drift error - you only get a few meters before the result is meaningless - but I know it is possible to use a combination of civilian grade GPS and gyros to position slow moving objects at least (In fact this is how my supervisor is controlling his robot-helicopter). I don't know how accurate this would be on a fast moving object where the drift error would accumulate much faster, but if the blast radius is big enough and you fire them in a salvo they might be accurate enough.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 17-Jul-2008 at 13:13
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 14:14
GPS can be used to overcome drift it seems. civilian GPS is the golden question, and in combination with what Iran has. The question the US and Israel would want to know;  do they have laser Gyro's (RLG's), are they any good.

While researching tonight to understand some of the issues, i came across other sensor fusion techniques other than GPS. but I haven't the technical background to know if they are applicable to ballistic missiles. PDF pg 33. I also did a Google search on RLG + drifting and there are patents in the US that try to overcome it. why is that stuff public.

The other claim made which would be good to know; can they build and deploy a maneuvering warhead, the Arrow2 should be able to handle a few of these if they have a linear trajectory. I would also think the salvo method as a way of saturating and over coming the defences as well as the inherent inaccuracy.

Edited by Leonidas - 17-Jul-2008 at 14:20
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 15:19
The Germans send accurate V2 missiles without GPS or other high tech equipment. Building a rocket is one thing but directing it is a very different story. One can get a high levels of accuracy without resourting to high tech equipment, those equipment can be later used to pinpoint the target and maximise the accuracy. It is all about engineering and if you have good engineers, then you can design indestructable rockets with potent accuracy.

AL-Jassas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>