Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

World Folk/Traditional/Roots Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Folk/Traditional/Roots Music
    Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 09:25
No, that's perfect, Slayertplsko!  Thanks for your help.  Thanks for bringing this thread back to the surface again too.  This thread was starting to get over my head.  So I took a break from it and hasn't made my way back yet.  Also I can get into only so many music threads at a time.  (excuses, excuses....)  This gives an opportunity to revisit what's been posted and start to rebuild again.  Thanks, Slayertplsko!
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 20:04

Now, that the thread has been lying here, dead, still and helpless, it's time for resurrection. I'm gonna start with some homophony from Slovakia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36TOr2YzHxM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y40RXRaKAQo&feature=related

I could try to get more, but not much is on YouTube. Actually this might be a good comparison to other homophonic or polyphonic songs from various parts of the world.

Edited by Slayertplsko - 21-May-2009 at 20:04
A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.
GökTürk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote GökTürk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 20:26
Click for Mongolian and Tuvanian Turkish Folk Music:
http://shamanturk.sitemynet.com
(the site is in turkish but u can find anything easily,cuz there is links and musicians' names in site.)

TENGRİ TEG TENGRİDE BOLMIŞ TÜRK BİLGE KAĞAN-
TURK WISE KHAN WHO BECAME IN SKY LIKE SKY-GOD
---
tengir ordo(people of Tengri-God-)                 
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 20:46
Originally posted by GökTürk

(the site is in turkish but u can find anything easily,cuz there is links and musicians' names in site.)

Thanks, GökTürk!

I always wanted to listen to some Turkic Central Asian music, but somehow had no luck in finding anything. I'm looking forward to it. It seems I have to download it, so it'll take me a while to get trough all of it. I'll write my impressions as soon as possible and contribute with another bunch of folk music.

Keep it coming.Smile

GökTürk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote GökTürk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 20:52
Originally posted by Slayertplsko

Thanks, GökTürk!

I always wanted to listen to some Turkic Central Asian music, but somehow had no luck in finding anything. I'm looking forward to it. It seems I have to download it, so it'll take me a while to get trough all of it. I'll write my impressions as soon as possible and contribute with another bunch of folk music.

Keep it coming.Smile

Your Wellcome ,Homie Smile!
You must start to download Huun Huur Tu - Altai Sayan Tandy-Uula...There is 6 songs in the album.My favourite songs are "Kojamk" and "Kongurai"...

If u want more,just post me a pm,cuz i like this too and the site is mine Big smile ..

---
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 21:17
I've just downloaded AltaiKai. Sounds great, but isn't it already influenced by western music??
whalebreath View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote whalebreath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 05:54
This Ukrainian female vocal quintet is a favourite of mine

Ukrania

Some polyphonic singing from 4 of them here

Click Here

Edited by whalebreath - 22-May-2009 at 05:57
GökTürk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote GökTürk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 15:27

I've just downloaded AltaiKai. Sounds great, but isn't it already influenced by western music??

Yeah,some sounds and instruments are similar.So Native American Culture and Central Asia Turkic culture are suprisinly similar.
Example this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRjkg91VE2o&feature=channel_page

Name of this Turkic [Tuva] instrument is "Temur Komuz".It's one of Turk's oldest instruments.
Also You can this voice in a western film :D

I were very suprised when I have listened the songs,too.

---
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 15:50

Yeah,some sounds and instruments are similar.So Native American Culture and Central Asia Turkic culture are suprisinly similar.

It seems you misunderstood me. I didn't mean western music as a term applied to the supposed music of Wild West, but western music in general - i.e. everything that is nowadays produced in Europe and America. I was just surprised that there was an actual harmonic cadence in the song, expecially in the first one, that was similar to those used in some popular music today (the roots of which could be found in Africa and also Latin American music and then in Spain and so on). So I thought it was some kind of a fusion of traditional Turkic music and contemporary popular music. But then, it is also possible that it is a feature of Asian traditional music, as well as of some contemporary music. And since I'm not much familiar with world music it confused me.

Name of this Turkic [Tuva] instrument is "Temur Komuz".It's one of Turk's oldest instruments.

Also You can this voice in a western film :D

I am familiar with the instrument but have never seen it in western film. It is also called Jew's harp and it is one of the oldest instruments, quite widespread. For instance, it is used in Scandinavian folk music and was also used by some Scandinavian metal bands, namely Bathory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbtb6Rrrvks

You can hear it in the very beginning. They made a more extensive used of it, but I can't find anything right now.

Anyway, I listened to Huun Huur Tu yesterday and it was much much better than AltaiKai. And if I was suspicious about the purity of AltaiKai, that's nonexistent here. What is especially interesting is the kind of throat singing used in this music. I can't figure out how it is done.

Edited by Slayertplsko - 22-May-2009 at 15:57
GökTürk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote GökTürk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 18:28

..it is also possible that it is a feature of Asian traditional music, as well as of some contemporary music...

I dont know how the real central music is.I dont search it.But it can,for me.So Dangaa Kosyabar's a lot of songs are Electro/techno.

I am familiar with the instrument but have never seen it in western film. It is also called Jew's harp and it is one of the oldest instruments, quite widespread. For instance, it is used in Scandinavian folk music and was also used by some Scandinavian metal bands, namely Bathory.

Voice of Jew's harp is deeper than Temur.I dont know view of Jew's harp,but Temur has been invented by Turks.

Edited by GökTürk - 22-May-2009 at 19:07
---
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2009 at 20:02
Some traditional folk music from  Sweden

Linnea Fredricson playes folk music in Lärbro church, Gotland year 2007.
Groddvalsen with Maria Wernberg and Groddpolskan, solo.

Midsummer in Sweden:

Sampling of folk music experience in Sweden during the summer of 2006:

Folkdance and folkmusic in the midsummer:

The old instrument psalmodikon:

The old instrument nyckelharpa
A small movie about the Swedish instrument, nyckelharpa. The tune in the background is "Löftet" (The Promise), original tune played and produced by Maria L Hallengren By Maria L Hallengren:

More nyckelharpa:

Häxritten (ride of the witches) played by Tore Härdelin:

The instrument spilåpipa:

Vallåtar
This is the old way of herding live stock (in the middle of north Sweden) and of communication between herding women on mountains and between them and the home places down in the valley:

Swedish folkmusic

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2011 at 01:46
Traditional Mongolian music and dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7TXio36u7g&feature=related

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2011 at 03:11
Emir Kostuca "Mesecina" from the movie "Underground"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r87CWLsBORE
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2011 at 21:01
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2011 at 02:47
Two ancient Russian Gypsy songs:

Edited by Don Quixote - 10-Oct-2011 at 02:52
shenglu View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote shenglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2011 at 00:07
It said: "One Sunday morning, the war reached down Droviani; Come, let us go there, you see what happened, how the Greeks of the blood has been spilled."
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2011 at 02:07
spam flashlights.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2011 at 19:47
Amazing song and dance from Albania. It's name means something in connection with the firefly:

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2011 at 20:59
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan:

Edited by Don Quixote - 18-Dec-2011 at 21:00
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2011 at 19:22

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>