Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indo-European Linguistics Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indo-European Linguistics Thread
    Posted: 20-Jun-2008 at 02:18
I've become interested in IE studies recently so If anyone knows of any links to good articles on PIE and IE lingustics I would be very happy to be given links to good papers and articles on the topic. Especially good are articles on the evolution of PIE itself; inter-relationships between different subfamilies; where relative isolates within IE like Albanian, Tocharian, Greek, Armenian, etc fit in: and possible relationships between IE and other language families.
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2008 at 02:23
Here is an interesting paper I ran into. it gives a very compelling argument that (Hittite excluded) the post-PIE proto-languages, Proto-Greek in particular, didn't change very much from PIE in phonology (pronunciation, stress, intonation, etc.) and grammar until the late 2nd Millennium BC (the start of the European Iron Age), most of the differences are in vocabulary (such as terms picked up from the non-IE peoples they absorbed). It also notes that this argues strongly against the Anatolian Farmer hypothesis

http://ling.lsa.umich.edu/grp/cldg/garrett.pdf

Here is a related paper.

http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~garrett/BLS1999.pdf
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2008 at 03:19
A paper concerning PIE vowels, in particular if the vowel "a" existed in PIE or if it only developed from laryngeal H2 in Late PIE.

https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/dspace/bitstream/1887/2662/1/299_013.pdf

So PIE only had E, I, and U???

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2008 at 15:09
What is everyone's thoughts on the pronunciation of the laryngeals? The usual identifications I see are:

H1 = ʔ (The glottal stop, made by saying uh-uh-uh very rapidly)

H2 = x or ɣ (as in German "machen"), χ ( as in Brazilian Portuguese "carro" or ħ (as in Arabic "waheed").

H3 = labialized ħ, , ʕ , ʜ , or ʢ

H1 disappeared

H2e became a

H3e became o

-Arnold J. Toynbee
 Post Reply Post Reply