Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USA/NATO vs Russia - Analytical thread started

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USA/NATO vs Russia - Analytical thread started
    Posted: 16-Jul-2008 at 16:52
Ok, I'll try to do it when I have some more free time. But I looked several times for all the news aka "celebration of the conquest of Estonia" in the Russian internet and nothing came out...
Σαυρομάτης
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 11:04

I doubt our people would make that up - the part of population who is reading regularly Russian news is too large for that to happen. 

And it can't be a propaganda campaign if your people don't know of it...

Anyways, back to the topic people!

Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2008 at 06:57
The missile defense scheme and the sharpening of US-Russian geopolitical tensions
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2008/jul2008/miss-j18.shtml

Reverting to old illusions
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20080717/114221778.html

U.S. radar in Czech Republic: betrayal of national interests
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20080716/114072528.html

KICKING SAND IN RUSSIA’S FACE
http://www.ericmargolis.com/arc

Russia's energy drive leaves US reeling
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Central

Edited by Bankotsu - 18-Jul-2008 at 12:41
Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 16:50
Russia’s "New Order" of security relations incorporating the US, Russia and the European Union :The Medvedev proposal

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?
Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 15:17

Moscow must answer U.S. shield with Cuban 'spy' site - analyst

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080723/114761709.html

Russia could place bombers in Latin America, N.Africa - paper

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080724/114821813.html

Russian expert warns against nuclear bombers in Cuba

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080724/114852486.html
Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 07:07

Is Tskhinvali the centre of the world?

Sir Halford Mackinder (1861-1947) - Reader in Geography at the University of Oxford, Director of the London School of Economics and long-serving Member of Parliament - is usually credited with being the founder of political geography. Deeply imbued with very British ideas about the need to maintain the balance of power on land to preserve hegemony at sea, Mackinder famously argued in 1904 that Eurasia was the geographical pivot of world history, and that control over Eastern Europe would lead to control of it and therefore of the whole world. 

Mackinder's writings have had enormous influence, which continues to this day:  Zbigniew Brzezinski, Jimmy Carter's former National Security Adviser, owes much to him for his view that America must establish control over Central Asia in order to consolidate its world hegemony.  Less well known is that the height of Mackinder's political career was when he was appointed British High Commissioner to South Russia (the Caucasus) in 1919 by the Foreign Office under the former explorer, Lord Curzon...

http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20080807/115877646.html

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 14:24

The writer of that article hasn't progressed beyond Mackinder's 1904 view.

By the 1940s, Mackinder had revised the geopolitical model in light of both contemporary political reality, and also new technologies that superceded a good deal of his former viewpoint.  The most influential Euro-American geopolitician was Nicholas Spykman:

The importance of the Heartland has been superceded by that of the Rimland, and Russia has no worries about anyone attempting to wrest control of central Asia from a rejuvenated and developing Russian sphere of influence there.  The successful policies of containment 1950-1990 were derived from Spykman's theories.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 08-Aug-2008 at 16:33
Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 14:40
I sometimes wonder why doesn't USA and Russia join forces to form the most powerful bloc in the world.

Now USA and NATO on one side, Russia and China on the other.

How about a USA and Russian alliance?

Who can stop them?

Edited by Bankotsu - 08-Aug-2008 at 14:41
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 16:44
Originally posted by Bankotsu

I sometimes wonder why doesn't USA and Russia join forces to form the most powerful bloc in the world.

Who can stop them?

The differentiation of "Heartland" and "Rimland" hold the keys to understanding that Russia and North America have more incompatible interests than common ones.

The location where their "macro-political interests" coincide is in Europe where both have an interest in preventing a renewal of a power base there that might challenge or threaten their many other vital interests.  The US and USSR did not expend treasure and blood to destroy German power for no reason.

Expectations of too much cooperation on the part of these two powers (US/Russia) would IMO be misplaced.  Both powers can be expected to play off China and India against the others.  Not to worry....all the big boys know this will be the game going forward.

Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 16:52
I think USA allied with Russia is a strong combination.

Edited by Bankotsu - 08-Aug-2008 at 16:53
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 18:43
Originally posted by Bankotsu

Who can stop them?

Who can stop them doing what?
Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 05:00
Originally posted by gcle2003

Who can stop them doing what?

Call the shots in international politics.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 12:18
Well, that's relatively easy. China and the EU have no problem outbribing the Security Council. The US is too broke to compete[1] and Russia can't match either China or the EU with spending overseas, the regime isn't secure enough to do so.

[1] As was evident in the SC negotiations in the run-up to the Iraq war.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 17:32
Russia allying with the US? I can't see that happening unless Russia stages a coup in the States (I wouldn't be surprised). 
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 19:49
Originally posted by rider

Russia allying with the US? I can't see that happening unless Russia stages a coup in the States (I wouldn't be surprised). 

LOL   The Russians would be driven insane by the hopeless complexity of American politics....both outside and inside the Pentagon!  None of them would survive the cocktail parties.  Wink

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 20:45
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

LOL   The Russians would be driven insane by the hopeless complexity of American politics....both outside and inside the Pentagon!  None of them would survive the cocktail parties.  Wink

I assume you mean the Americans couldn't survive the Russian parties. Going on a understandably somewhat hazy memory  of such things, the Russians would consider American parties just a snifter.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2008 at 21:07
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

I assume you mean the Americans couldn't survive the Russian parties. Going on a understandably somewhat hazy memory  of such things, the Russians would consider American parties just a snifter.

No, I was thinking about the politics conducted at those cocktail parties.  A couple of liters of raw vodka would be the Russian's refuge from such head-spinning insanity, especially in DC.

Bankotsu View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Bankotsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 05:51
Poland, US Reach Preliminary Deal on Missile Shield
http://voanews.com/english/2008-08-14-voa14.cfm

Hobhouse View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Hobhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 07:06
I am curious as to what Russia will actually do in response to the missile defense system.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 08:52
Add new targets to its warplan. A misslile defence system is useless against the Russians, for many reasons, mainly since it would obviously be attacked as a part of a general strike.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>