Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why didnt Ancient Egypt dominate the Mediteranean?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
drill_skill_800 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote drill_skill_800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why didnt Ancient Egypt dominate the Mediteranean?
    Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 16:54
Thanks, Ron
I'm not sure what information www.rahoorkhuit.net has to offer, as I didn't find what I was looking for. In fact, I came accross links to websites featuring erotic literature..... Confused

I've always wondered te difference between vegitarians and vegans, so this site was useful. Just.... who were these "certain groups"?

Coptics (and Christians) eat meat though. Modern-day Egypt is primarily Coptic - so, regardless if they didn't take advantage of their carnivorous resources thousands of years ago, they certainly do now. I don't think vegitarianism has much to do with ancient Egyptian worship. Nor do I believe it was ritualistic. Like beer. ;)  

Katherine
There is a fine line between gifted and retarded
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 18:30
Sorry Katherine, I see what you mean! I guess I got into the site on the very place whereby I found the info. I was looking for? But, the site navigation seems somewhat difficult, to say the least!

But, since I sometimes so such broad searches, perhaps I can un-wind my brain and go back and find out exactly just what I was searching for in the first place?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 21:55
Maybe Egypt already had everything. Land, resources etc. Maybe it had no urgent reasons to become belligerent and expand. Other than for prestige, perhaps.

Maybe it was a peaceful power, rather than an aggressive one.

But it did get involved in some big wars, like Megiddo and Kadesh. Egyptians also showed some talent for a good brawl, sometimes, as when they finally put paid to the Mongol advance in West Asia, at the Battle of Ain Jalut.

Their conquests by foreigners always came when their nation was in disarray, I thought. Hyksos, Persia, Greco-Macedonia, Rome etc.
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2010 at 16:22
Originally posted by Aussiedude

As the preminent power their for a significan time, why not?

actually they did, Africans were the ones that started all those societies, even the Greeks were Black men. Even Troy was a Black City and no one hears about the part in Troy war where a African King went to Troy to help his uncle fight off the invaders
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2010 at 19:19
And, do you dear "BAD-azz", also believe in the "tooth farie?" laugh! You actually believe the words of a "blind Bard" whose very words only existed in the "ether" for hundreds of years! LOL

But, you may indeed keep it up, until someone thinks better of it!

Regards,
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 02:45
But I do. See my nic?Approve
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 12:06
Originally posted by opuslola

And, do you dear "BAD-azz", also believe in the "tooth farie?" laugh! You actually believe the words of a "blind Bard" whose very words only existed in the "ether" for hundreds of years! LOL

But, you may indeed keep it up, until someone thinks better of it!

Regards,

if you're going to talk like that, that means everything you believe in is a fairytale too. which would make your comment rather stupid don't you think?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 14:59
NO! In fact, I tend to disregard a lot of things now considered as "fact"! One of them just seems to be any weight that can be placed either upon the Illiad, or other so called ancient songs! I even place little belief upon anything reported by Schliemann! I consider him a charlatan and a dealer in fake antiquities!

I do not even consider that the place we now consider as Troy, has ever been conclusivly identified as such! And, I dare anyone to state that it is so, beyond a reasonable doubt! It is merely the "weight" of time and scholarly acquiescence that leads us today to the above conclusion.

One source is; http://archaeology.about.com/od/ancientgreece/a/homeric1.htm

For example the Wikipedia article concerning Homer says this;

"Though evincing many features characteristic of oral poetry, the Iliad and Odyssey were at some point committed to writing. The Greek script, adapted from a Phoenician syllabary around 800 BCE, made possible the notation of the complex rhythms and vowel clusters that make up hexameter verse. Homer's poems appear to have been recorded shortly after the alphabet's invention: an inscription from Ischia in the Bay of Naples, ca. 740 BCE, appears to refer to a text of the Iliad; likewise, illustrations seemingly inspired by the Polyphemus episode in the Odyssey are found on Samos, Mykonos and in Italy dating from the first quarter of the seventh century BCE. We have little information about the early condition of the Homeric poems, but in the second century BCE, Alexandrian editors stabilized this text from which all modern texts descend.

In late antiquity, knowledge of Greek declined in Latin-speaking western Europe and, along with it, knowledge of Homer's poems. It was not until the fifteenth century AD that Homer's work began to be read once more in Italy. By contrast it was continually read and taught in the Greek-speaking Eastern Roman Empire where the majority of the classics also survived. The first printed edition appeared in 1488."

You might well notice, for the first time, the last words of the above; E.g. "The first printed edition appeared in 1488."

It appears to me, that other than second hand accounts from other long dead sources, that "no one" had actually read Homer until the latter part of the 15th century CE! I wonder just what made up the source?

But, that is a story for another section!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 01-Apr-2010 at 17:17
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2010 at 21:54
I don't pay attention to wiki which is run by Zionist agents. Why don't you used poems that were written in Africa instead of repeatin' the white man like a parrot?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2010 at 20:38
Then Bad Azz!, reveal all of that Negroid based poetry? I know you might well be offended by the use of the term "Negroid", but that is merely a classification of human attributes! It is not derogatory! It is scientific! A term with which you are not really familar!

Zionist? You have to be insane? How dare you use such a term!

I will refer you to the authorities! Unless you apologize?

Polly wants a cracker? Laugh!

Hey, are you Polly, I am not from Georgia! chuckle!

Edited by opuslola - 06-Apr-2010 at 20:52
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2010 at 21:42
If Opus lives long enough, I'm worried we might not have much left for us, in the way of ancient legend, accepted history etc. Cos he'd just end up debunking them all! Cry

Edited by Shield-of-Dardania - 06-Apr-2010 at 21:49
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2010 at 21:56
If, I had my way, I might well! But those words that would do so can only be found in "alernative history", or I shall be banned!

So, from a post I made above where it was quoted; "For example the Wikipedia article concerning Homer says this;

"Though evincing many features characteristic of oral poetry, the Iliad and Odyssey were at some point committed to writing. The Greek script, adapted from a Phoenician syllabary around 800 BCE, made possible the notation of the complex rhythms and vowel clusters that make up hexameter verse. Homer's poems appear to have been recorded shortly after the alphabet's invention: an inscription from Ischia in the Bay of Naples, ca. 740 BCE, appears to refer to a text of the Iliad; likewise, illustrations seemingly inspired by the Polyphemus episode in the Odyssey are found on Samos, Mykonos and in Italy dating from the first quarter of the seventh century BCE. We have little information about the early condition of the Homeric poems, but in the second century BCE, Alexandrian editors stabilized this text from which all modern texts descend.

In late antiquity, knowledge of Greek declined in Latin-speaking western Europe and, along with it, knowledge of Homer's poems. It was not until the fifteenth century AD that Homer's work began to be read once more in Italy. By contrast it was continually read and taught in the Greek-speaking Eastern Roman Empire where the majority of the classics also survived. The first printed edition appeared in 1488."

Note, please, that I consider the key words from the above post; "Though evincing many features characteristic of oral poetry, the Iliad and Odyssey were at some point committed to writing." And the key words from this sentence were "at some point!" That is, no one knows just when this important event actually happened!Q!!

It is a mystery! As are these words from the above quotation; "In late antiquity, knowledge of Greek declined in Latin-speaking western Europe and, along with it, knowledge of Homer's poems."

Just why did knowledge of Greek decline? No one knows!

But, I do not cry! It is the rest of the historians who follow the consensual history that have to do so!

Edited by opuslola - 06-Apr-2010 at 22:06
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2010 at 15:05
Actually Shield O D, if you were to actually read the historical works of Sir Isaac Newton, you would find a place whereby, he and most other ancient writers, also define a period whereby Egypt ruled the entire compass of the Mediteranean Sea!, and beyond!

But, the answer relies upon you to read the material and then answer both to me, and the ancients?

Regards,
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2011 at 17:52
Because they lived there.They were majority of Mediterranean population those days.We knew only 7000
years of (re)written history of Egypt.For only 500 we inhabited American continent.After that for less than 300 years  Australia and rest of desert places and abandoned paradises.For 7000 i believe we will find them on Mars if we ever step there!WinkTherefore Phoenicians created polices,City states,cause rest of land simply
belonged to part of Egyptian population among the rest of many others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12