Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Future of the English Language

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future of the English Language
    Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 20:54
I've been Thinking about this for a while and it seems to me that in the future there will develop an increasing disparity between "standard" English and the colloquial English. Of course there was always a disparity between standard and colloquial English, but the spread of English to all parts of the globe will lead, IMO, for a distinction to develop between a "classical" English spoken in formal settings and used in formal writing and an English "Koine" used in conversation. "Classical" English will evolve into a lingua franca that most people will be fluent in in addition to the language or dialect of English "Koine" they speak, like how Classical Arabic is used, IIRC, by speakers of different modern Arabic dialects.

Here are some trends I see in the future of English in the US:

Spread of the use of "y'all" as a 2nd person plural pronoun.

Spread of the pin-pen vowel merger ( high e and low e before n).

Spread of the Northern Cities Vowel Shift.

Spread of the cot-caught (ah-aw) merger

Use of "more X" and "most X" will continue to replace -er and -est endings.

"They" will become used more and more regularly as a personal-neuter singular pronoun ("it" is "impersonal" and thus considered inappropriate to be used for people).

A slow breakdown in the I/me (subjective vs. objective 1st person singular pronoun) distinction. This is already happening with people saying "Me and John are going..." instead of "John and I are going...".
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2008 at 21:07
These trends seem clear to me, Odin--I agree!  In the spoken language common here in Oklahoma, even among the more educated, the trends you see as the future are already the present.  Y'all is common, pin and pen are very nearly homophones (as are cot and caught), they is commonly used in place of "he," and the me/I confusion is common.  The homophones are most common; y'all is fairly common.

In writing, however, the proper American English is used.
Copperknickers View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Copperknickers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 19:27
Scottish dialects are a lot different from Queen's English as well. We have pretty much no long vowel sounds here any more: 'cooks' and 'spooks' have exactly the same sound in Scottish acccent.

Also, 'yous' is used to distinguish from 'you(singular)' which i personally think makes a lot more sense, especially since we did differentiate between them a couple of hundered years ago.

We have a lot of your (american) merged words though, 'gonnae', instead of 'going to', and we drop off pretty much all non essential sounds in the thicker accentuated regions.

" 'f yi think 'm gonnae' d' tha' pal, y've go' anu'r hing cummin'! "

"If you think i'm going to do that, my friend, you've got another thing coming! "
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 20:53
In the very long term the various Englishes with start to develop trends towards agglutination. For example, the contraction of helper verbs like "have" and "will," as in "I've and I'll," will evolve into standard agglutinative suffixes used to denote the tense and aspect of the following vowel. prepositions may also become suffixes.

"Jane will be coming to the park with me"

may become... in 500 years time...

"Janellb cominte the parkith me"
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 22:55
Where I grew up in the New Jersey some of these shifts have already occurred. The you plural form is yous often coupled with guys as in the sentence: "where are yous guys going?" Another shift that has taken place in my neck of the woods can be seen in the words dog and chocolate. In these words the "o" sound has morphed into an "aw" sound. Dog becomes dawg and chocolate becomes chawcolate. This shift is also present in word with "alk" like chalk, walk, talk; all these words have morphed into awk. Walk becomes wawk, talk becomes tawk, etc.

You also left out the distinction between who and whom.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 22:59
Originally posted by King John

Where I grew up in the New Jersey some of these shifts have already occurred. The you plural form is yous often coupled with guys as in the sentence: "where are yous guys going?" Another shift that has taken place in my neck of the woods can be seen in the words dog and chocolate. In these words the "o" sound has morphed into an "aw" sound. Dog becomes dawg and chocolate becomes chawcolate. This shift is also present in word with "alk" like chalk, walk, talk; all these words have morphed into awk. Walk becomes wawk, talk becomes tawk, etc.

And in the area in which you currently reside the "o" sound has been turned into an "aaaa" sound to where "dog" and "chocolate" sound like "daaaag" and "chaaaacolate." LOL Wink

In other words, most vowel sounds in the area are prononced through the nasal passages instead of through the throat and mouth.

Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2008 at 03:24
Originally posted by King John

Ack!!! The "Joisey" accent!!! LOL

My accent is the stereotypical "Minnesotan" accent of the Upper Midwest.

I turn the diphthongs /ei/ (Long "A," "aye" as in "day") and /ou/ (Long "O," "oh-oo" as in "moan") into /e/ and /o/, the latter being the well known "Minnesotan long O" as in Minnes-ohhh-ta and the former making "day" sound like "dehhh"

In words in which /a/ comes before /g/, as in bag, flag, and agriculture it turns into /ei/, so "b-ah-g" becomes "b-aye-g

Mary, marry, and merry sound the same.

Cot and caught sound the same. Don and Dawn sound the same. "augh" and "aw" is always a plain "ah," never a rounded "aw" as in NYC or New Jersey.

My speech is also affected somewhat by the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_cities_vowel_shift, so my "ah" is different from your "ah" and probably sounds more like your "a" and so on. LOL

-Arnold J. Toynbee
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2008 at 04:57
I don't have the traditional Jersey accent. I grew up in an area that borders on the New York City accent plus both my parents grew up in NYC, so I have picked up certain Jerseyisms ("down the shore" as opposed to "to the beach"). In my accent, when it gets really thick, here becomes ear - as in "come ear." Most of my accent would actually fall into the NYC accent (walk, coffee, cross, law all have the same vowel sound "aw"). Where I'm from generally people tend to drop r's in words that end in -er and turn them into ah sounds ie: water becomes watah. We also add er's to words that end in -a, ie: soda becomes soder. Then there is the infamous draw (dresser) and draw (picture). Although both are spelled the same way they are pronounced differently. Draw (dresser) is pronounced draw whereas draw (picture) is pronounced drawr. In Many times my accent only comes out when I am angry, drunk, or talking to somebody from NJ.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2009 at 16:26
While the above posts are quite old, I could not resist making this obversation. I would have mentioned the accent found in and around the Boston area, as being somewhat unusual. Therefore, they will pronounce "park" as "pauk", "walk" as "Wauk", "not" as "naught", "what" as "waut", etc. I am sure there are many more.

PS, and of course the "er" sound is sometimes added to words.

Edited by opuslola - 12-Nov-2009 at 16:27
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 15:51
Surprised, I am, that no one else has felt the need to continue the above discussion!

After all it is mostly "just fun with words!"

Regards,
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 16:02

As a side note, the FBI keeps recorded samples of all magor regional accents and local variants (south Lousiana is very different from neighboring southeren states and so are Appalacian accents).  The samples are sometimes used to analyze phone threats etc.

Sadly, I think the FBI's tapes are going to be used less and less in the future as many regional American English accents are endangered.   

Edited by Cryptic - 28-Oct-2010 at 16:23
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 16:11
There exists little doubt in my mind that what you say is true! Mass media has slowly eroded local accents all over the world!

The loss of these variations is to be missed!

However, if society actually collapses, as I could easily contend, in the near future, then these local/regional variations will soon become apparent again, however changed they may look by that time!

Hell, the abbreviation of language via texting, has already created its own vocabulary and spelling forms! Most of which will soon be totally undesipherable by us both!

Well you can recognize and descipher the above word can't you? Laugh!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 28-Oct-2010 at 16:12
 Post Reply Post Reply