Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish bayonets in Korean War

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish bayonets in Korean War
    Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 21:11

When one thinks of bayonets, the British immediately come to mind (and rightfully so), but it's interesting to note that the Turks have made excellent use of this "last of the polearms" (to borrow Professor Sidney Anglo's description) as well.  As late as the Korean War, the Turks made a successful bayonet charge against Chinese troops.  The charge was witnessed by a Lt. Col. Anthony B. Herbet, of the U.S. Army.  Herbet was extremely impressed by the bayonet skills of the Turks.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 21:13
Sounds fun...what kept them up with the bayonets?
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 21:18

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

Pardon my density, but I'm not sure what your asking--could you clarify?

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 21:38
Wasnt the last major sucessfu7l bayonet charge by US troops in the Korean war?  Somone got a medal of honor for that.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 22:00
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Hehe, I did word that a little wierd...when I think of the KRN war I don't think of Bayonets.  Are bayonets big in the Turkish military tradition?
Turk View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 02:13
The Army Corps gave the order for "Turks to fix their bayonets where they reach and not withdraw even one step".

"While the Turks were for a long time fighting against the enemy and dying, the British and Americans were withdrawing. The Turks, who were out of ammunition, affixed their bayonets and attacked the enemy and there ensued a terrible hand to hand combat. The Turks succeeded in withdrawing by continuous combat and by carrying their injured comrades on their backs. They paraded at Pyongyang with their heads held high." - G.G. Martin - British Lieutenant General

http://www.korean-war.com/turkey.html

Edited by Turk
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 07:03

Originally posted by Tobodai

Wasnt the last major sucessfu7l bayonet charge by US troops in the Korean war?  Somone got a medal of honor for that.

Yes, the Americans did launch a successful bayonet charge during the Korean War.

However, the last successful bayonet charges have been even more recent--both by the Brits (Falkland Islands and Afghanistan).

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 07:05

Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Hehe, I did word that a little wierd...when I think of the KRN war I don't think of Bayonets.  Are bayonets big in the Turkish military tradition?

I suppose so.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 13:25
That's impressive, how they bayonet charged against continuous sprays of gunshots.  I still don't understand how a bunch of armed gunmen couldn't handle bayonet armed footmen.  Turks were brave in this combat, I should say.
Grrr..
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 13:28
The Brits used bayonets in the Falklands? Interesting,
didnt know this will look more into it.

A bayonet is a bad way to go.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 14:07

Originally posted by demon

That's impressive, how they bayonet charged against continuous sprays of gunshots.  I still don't understand how a bunch of armed gunmen couldn't handle bayonet armed footmen.  Turks were brave in this combat, I should say.

Of course they handled the Turks until they got near.But then their skill and stubbornness helped them win.I listened to the war stories of my great-grandfather and he told us how 150 Turk charged with bayonets and only 3 survived.(he also told me that one of the survivors went mad because of the bloody massacre)

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 08:31

The last bayonet charge I heard about was by the scots in Iraq May 21st 2004 - I believe it was the Argyll and Sutherlands Highlanders who came to the rescue of a land rover convoy.

Heavily outnumbered the Scots used it as a shock tactic and it bloody well worked.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 11:02
Originally posted by Syristix

The last bayonet charge I heard about was by the scots in Iraq May 21st 2004 - I believe it was the Argyll and Sutherlands Highlanders who came to the rescue of a land rover convoy.

Heavily outnumbered the Scots used it as a shock tactic and it bloody well worked.

A shock tactic how?By being open targets?

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

dman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote dman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2005 at 22:45

Korean war bayonet charge was by CO E 27th Infantry 

Below is summary of the action which won Capt Millett the Medal of Honor.

Captain Lewis Millett leads Easy Company, 27th Infantry Regiment in its bayonet assault against Hil 180, Soam-Ni Korea, February 7th, 1951
Like all new commanders, Captain Lewis Millett wanted to put his own stamp on the outfit he had inherited. This he did with the bayonet. While many soldiers in Korea had thrown away the antiquated weapon, Millet re-supplied it and drilled the men of Easy Company in its use. They kept bayonets fixed, and went about stabbing strawstacks and mudbanks in impromptu charges ordered by Millett on the march. The bayonet became the unit's symbol.
On February 7th 1951, Millett led his men up Hill 180 as part of Operation Punch. Throwing grenades, turning back to call for more firepower when he saw the ground ahead crawling with Chinese, he seemed constantly upright and exposed, standing under fire, urging the others on. At the crest, he took shrapnel from a grenade. The men saw him silhouetted on the skyline and heard him shouting "Use grenades and cold steel!"
That day the bayonet was used liberally. Some say it was the most complete bayonet charge by American troops since the Civil War. Of 47 enemy dead, 18 had been killed by the bayonet. For his courage and leadership in this action, Captain Millett was awarded the Medal of Honor.
Each of these fine limited edition prints is countersigned by Captain Lewis Millett.

Post Reply Post Reply