Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EUrovision Song Contest 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EUrovision Song Contest 2008
    Posted: 24-May-2008 at 06:53
Iceland to the Final in the Eurovision Song Contest

Iceland was one of the ten nations which will advance to the final in the Eurovision Song Contest. Iceland is now in the final for the first time since 2002.

The Icelandic entry “This is My Life” by Örlygur Smári, made it to the final in the Eurovision Song Contest yesterday evening. Ten other songs advanced to the final, including Sweden and Denmark. Norway and Finland also made their way to the final in the first semi final, which means that all the Nordic countries are in the final which has never happened before. Morgunbladid reports.

The final will be held in Belgrade on Saturday, and the producers of the Eurovision Song Contest believe it will be viewed by over 300 million viewers in Europe. Icelandic television Broadcaster RÚV claims that Eurovision Song Contest is one of the most popular television events of the year in Iceland.

Yes, i do miss Mila. She could have made 50 lines ou of this news. Tonight there are many EVSC-Partys here in Iceland. But i must admit, i'm a big Song Contest sourpuss...may be i will watch tonight...

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 24-May-2008 at 13:18

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 11:24
Come on... This year's contest is so boring.. Practically all the songs are the same, they don't even deserve the name of a 'song'.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 12:41
Someone for Balkans will win. They always vote one on another. Cyprus for Greece, Greece for Cyprus, Bosnia for serbia, Serbia for bosnia etc. One of the most stupid events of the year. Most of songs are completely hopeless.
Rider, it's not this year, it's every year the same. At least Finns and Irish make fun of all this. Our singer is suspected by media to be a man in the past.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 13:36
Originally posted by Majkes

Someone for Balkans will win. They always vote one on another. Cyprus for Greece, Greece for Cyprus, Bosnia for serbia, Serbia for bosnia etc. One of the most stupid events of the year. Most of songs are completely hopeless.
Rider, it's not this year, it's every year the same. At least Finns and Irish make fun of all this. Our singer is suspected by media to be a man in the past.

Like Austria didn't vote for Germany, year for year. For that the german team will hammer them into the grass of their own stadium in june.

Autrich zero points... Austria no points...Österreich null Punkte....Austurríki núll punktùri

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 16:42
ah yeah, normally the Baltics vote for each other as well. it's a part of the Eurovison formula
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 16:50
Originally posted by Leonidas

ah yeah, normally the Baltics vote for each other as well. it's a part of the Eurovison formula

Only Lithuanian has this trend to vote for Latvia, Estonians not so  - they feel closer to Finland. But even in Baltics voting it is not sure 12 points to each other as for Greece and Cyprus.Wink

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 17:06
you know i was going to write 'Balts', which would of saved me that correction. Big%20smile
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 23:14
Latvia is the coolest song I've heard so far! Any song about pirates deserves to win!
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 23:23
I wish there was some gambling involved here. I was guessing who will vote on who even though I didn't hear some of the songs. Cyprus always for Greece, Scandinavians for Scandinavians, Azerbijan for Turkey and vice versa. Former USSR republics on Russia and other former USSR republics and Balkan countries for Balkan countries. We were the last but in good companion: Germany and UK. Only Ireland and UK vote for us ( big number of Polish immigrants I guess )
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 07:16
Thanks to our large Russian minority we are destined to give 12 points to Russia forever.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 19:15
Same here...
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 19:50
Is it me or are all the bands submitted to Eurovision meant to be deliberately rubbish and corny? I know for a fact that Germany, France, Israel, UK, Italy, Russia, Serbia, Greece and many more besides could have submitted much better stuff
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2008 at 22:14

Russia has won. Well done and deserved IMO. Clap

Edited by Sander - 25-May-2008 at 22:17
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 01:01
ukraine was better, i think the russians would of shut the gas.

I love the armenian singer...
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 10:17
Originally posted by Sander

The song was crap and the singer a twat. But that could be said about most participants I guess.LOL
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 11:45
The song was crap and the singer a twat. But that could be said about most participants I guess.

Couldn't agree more.

Basically, the top ranked songs were also among the crappiest, but had strong political connections. Russia received a ridiculous amount of ex-soviet votes.
Ukraine at least had a hot singer Hug

I like the croatian song. The turkish was kinda cool as well.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 13:02
The only decent rock song was the Turkish one. All others were Euro-pop rubbish....

I liked the French guy as well.

The Russian one was unbelievably bad. It hurt my ears listening to such cacophony...
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 13:17
Originally posted by Leonidas

ukraine was better, i think the russians would of shut the gas.

I love the armenian singer...

Good one, but who still needs gas with that lady?
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 16:22

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by Sander

The song was crap and the singer a twat. But that could be said about most participants I guess.LOL

I said nothing about the singer or his singing qualities etc . I complemented Russia with its victory from another perspective.  They made a smart move with the popular justin timberlake sound and getting support from that prize- animal Plushenko and the hungarian violist . Nice work Thumbs%20Up 

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 18:05
I don't really like europop music so it's kind of hard for me to rank these songs, I tend to simply go with the act that has the most sexy women in short skirts. The music will of course be awful but at least I can get turned on.

In terms of actual quality I think Turkey had by far the best performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>